Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? (16928 Views)

Nissan Altima MAF Sensor / Caring For Your Car's Maf, And The Fix / Can I Bypass My MAF Sensor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 8:29am On Feb 06, 2021
Hi Car gurus,
Please I'd like know if it's safe to clean a car MAF sensor using tooth brush, cotton buds and methylathed spirit?

Please advise on how best to clean it. I wouldn't want to make any mistakes.

I'd appreciate any information given.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by melviniyke2002(m): 9:46am On Feb 06, 2021
Buy mass airflow cleaner....just spray n allowed to dry...u can watch YouTube n see d procedures

10 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 4:20pm On Feb 06, 2021
melviniyke2002:
Buy mass airflow cleaner....just spray n allowed to dry...u can watch YouTube n see d procedures
Thanks bro. Please how much would it cost?

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by melviniyke2002(m): 9:41pm On Feb 06, 2021
NipseyHustle:

Thanks bro. Please how much would it cost?
check jumia or konga...its ard 3500 to 5k.....

2 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by erico2k2(m): 10:48pm On Feb 06, 2021
NipseyHustle:
Hi Car gurus,
Please I'd like know if it's safe to clean a car MAF sensor using tooth brush, cotton buds and methylathed spirit?

Thanks.
Never try that if not ur car will ha e covid cough

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by jabolo(m): 12:29am On Feb 08, 2021
melviniyke2002:

These 'MAF Cleaners' are simply re-canned Isopropyl Alcohol, rebranded and sold for more money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

If you can get a generic can of Isopropyl Alcohol, you're good to go.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 4:46am On Feb 08, 2021
jabolo:

These 'MAF Cleaners' are simply re-canned Isopropyl Alcohol, rebranded and sold for more money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

If you can get a generic can of Isopropyl Alcohol, you're good to go.
Thanks bro. Please where do you recommend I get 'Isopropyl Alcohol' from? Can I get it from a pharmacy?

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 4:49am On Feb 08, 2021
erico2k2:

Never try that if not ur car will ha e covid cough
Lol, thanks. It's just that the cleaner is a little pricey and It's only for a one time use.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 4:49am On Feb 08, 2021
melviniyke2002:
Thanks.
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 4:54am On Feb 08, 2021
Just found out that I can get 'moko' Isopropyl Alcohol at any good pharmacy for around #300. I'll be using it instead buying a can of cleaner.

Thanks for the information guys.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by jabolo(m): 11:58am On Feb 08, 2021
NipseyHustle:
Just found out that I can get 'moko' Isopropyl Alcohol at any good pharmacy for around #300. I'll be using it instead buying a can of cleaner.

Exactly! Well done.

I've been using it for years.

Re: your original message, DO NOT use a toothbrush or anything to scrup the MAFs in the process of cleaning - you might impact the critical resitivity function. Just spray the alcohol on liberally, shake about a little bit and replace. The alcohol will dissolve the oils dirt etc and evaporate naturally.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 7:30am On Feb 09, 2021
jabolo:

Exactly! Well done.

I've been using it for years.

Re: your original message, DO NOT use a toothbrush or anything to scrup the MAFs in the process of cleaning - you might impact the critical resitivity function. Just spray the alcohol on liberally, shake about a little bit and replace. The alcohol will dissolve the oils dirt etc and evaporate naturally.

Thanks for the info, I googled it and you were right. Saved me some money.

Yes, I'll be following the info provided.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by Healthquest: 8:59am On Sep 16, 2021
NipseyHustle:
Hi Car gurus,

Thanks.
did u clean the sensitive part with the spirit?? Or u leave it? Am about doing same and I heard am to Cover the wire part online , I don't really get.. and how was the experience after cleaning. Mine is 2010 corrola. It's urgent pls and I can't reach u
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by double3(m): 9:06am On Sep 16, 2021
U don't need to cover any part, just ensure it dries properly before u mount into ur car. (Say 30mins) If u can't get the MAF cleaner and intend using isopropyl alcohol (moko) , pour it into a container with spray nozzle (empty clean perfume bottle). Spray and air dry that's all.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by Healthquest: 9:15am On Sep 16, 2021
double3:
U don't need to cover any part, just ensure it dries properly before u mount into ur car. (Say 30mins) If u can't get the MAF cleaner and intend using isopropyl alcohol (moko) , pour it into a container with spray nozzle (empty clean perfume bottle). Spray and air dry that's all.
thanks man...
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 4:46pm On Sep 17, 2021
Healthquest:
did u clean the sensitive part with the spirit?? Or u leave it? Am about doing same and I heard am to Cover the wire part online , I don't really get.. and how was the experience after cleaning. Mine is 2010 corrola. It's urgent pls and I can't reach u
Hi, I did clean it following a YouTube instruction. I didn't cover the wire, just made sure I did it very carefully.
However it didn't work so I had to change it entirely.
It could work for you though.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by almsofgold: 8:59am On Sep 18, 2021
NipseyHustle:

Hi, I did clean it following a YouTube instruction. I didn't cover the wire, just made sure I did it very carefully.
However it didn't work so I had to change it entirely.
It could work for you though.

Cheers.
why did you want it cleaned it the first place? Was there any underlying factor ? What's the make of your ride?
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by NipseyHustle(m): 9:05am On Sep 18, 2021
almsofgold:
why did you want it cleaned it the first place? Was there any underlying factor ? What's the make of your ride?
2008 Nissan Tiida.
Reason was due to high fuel consumption.
I couldn't tell the underlying factor so I sold it. The car was as good as new but the fuel consumption was frustrating.

I have vowed to test fuel consumption when next I'm buying another car.
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by almsofgold: 10:47am On Sep 18, 2021
NipseyHustle:

2008 Nissan Tiida.
Reason was due to high fuel consumption.
I couldn't tell the underlying factor so I sold it. The car was as good as new but the fuel consumption was frustrating.

I have vowed to test fuel consumption when next I'm buying another car.
many thing could have been responsible for the fuel consumption, like a bad fuel injector,bad air filter,dirty throttle body, etc.you sold a very good car for a redeemable fault

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by abumoney(m): 11:30am On Sep 18, 2021
You can watch YouTube for guidance
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by Terrier99: 11:31am On Sep 18, 2021
NipseyHustle:

Stop fixing your car as if you're fixing a wheelbarrow. Change the MAF Sensor

1 Like

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by anambraamaka: 11:31am On Sep 18, 2021
No
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by lonelydora: 11:32am On Sep 18, 2021
What is the issue with the car that you think the problem is MAF?

Is your MAF the "hot wire" or "hot film" type?

Answer these questions before I advise
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by Sonnobax15(m): 11:32am On Sep 18, 2021
lipsrsealed
Thread wey the op create since February hit FP for September grin. Who said dead bones shall not rise again cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by IdowhatyouLOVE: 11:32am On Sep 18, 2021
shocked
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by OgaTheTop2: 11:34am On Sep 18, 2021
smiley
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by Products27: 11:36am On Sep 18, 2021
Terrier99:

Stop fixing your car as if you're fixing a wheelbarrow. Change the MAF Sensor
grin grin angry angry grin grin grin
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by Sharpprowork: 11:36am On Sep 18, 2021
Hmm
Re: Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? by money121(m): 11:38am On Sep 18, 2021
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Historical Events Of Toyota RAV 4 / What Is D Difference Between Alignment And Wheel Balancing / Innoson Vehicles Will Take Over Africa – IVM Chairman, Chukwuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.