Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,339 members, 7,860,849 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:20 PM

Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians (676 Views)

Mum Thought One Year Old Baby Was Teething But He Actually Had Coronavirus (pix) / Teething Medicine For Babies / Powerful Effective Bed Bugs Killer Bait Powder To Kill Bedbugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians by prof2007: 4:22am On Feb 07, 2021
Paediatricians have warned mothers against giving teething powder to their babies, noting that ingredients in the powder may cause harm to them. According to the experts, giving babies teething powder or tablets during teething is not necessary and may rather have adverse effects on them.

They noted that teething powder will never be recommended for a baby by a doctor, stressing that teething is a natural phenomenon and therefore does not require any medication. Speaking with PUNCH Healthwise in an exclusive interview, a Consultant Paediatric Haematologist and Oncologist at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Prof. Edamisan Temiye, said teething is a natural thing and does not cause pain, fever or diarrhoea in babies.

Temiye explained, “Teething powder is not recommended. We don’t believe in teething powder or tablets. They have no effect at all and, therefore, not recommended. Teething should not cause a problem for any baby. Mothers believe teething will make babies have a fever or diarrhoea but this is not true. It is an infection that causes fever and not teething. People just mix anything in the teething powder.

“Teething will not cause the child to have pain, fever or diarrhoea. If the child is feeling pain, something must be causing it. Mothers should stop using teething powder because it is never recommended for babies. The content of the medication can cause harm to them. Most of them contain paracetamol. Some of them may contain things that will harm babies at the end of the day. It is a treatment that is completely unnecessary.”

The paediatrician urged mothers to always take their babies to hospital whenever they have health issues and not just assume. “When the baby has a fever, the baby has an infection and should be taken to the doctor for treatment. The doctor will treat the cause of the fever. Teething will never cause a fever. Some mothers don’t know what is wrong with their babies. Teething will not make the baby restless.

“What we know is that, as soon as babies can control their hands very well, anything they grab, goes to their mouth. That happens to every baby and we know that it is a natural thing,” he said.

SOURCE: https://punchng.com/why-mothers-shouldnt-give-teething-powder-to-babies-paediatricians/
Re: Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians by wealthgoddess: 5:18am On Feb 07, 2021
Believe naija doctors at your own risk.
What we know is that science is still evolving...and there is not much evidence yet to prove that teething doesnt cause pain.
Many years ago chloroquine was a major anti-malaria prescribed in hospitals.
Few years later it was banned by NAFDAC for having injurious effects to the health.
Few years after again it was approved as a major treatment in the management of COVID-19.
Indomie gens may not know but chloroquine as bitter a it is was our saving grace back then...a major feat every child had to learn back in the days was how to use chloroquine fast enough to not touch ur tongue nor dissolve in your mouth. Trust me it was a hard thing to master.
My point is...mothers, whatever takes the pain away from your baby, whatever gives them joy...go for it.
God will not let naija doctors use us and do experiment ooo.

1 Like

Re: Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians by Oyiboman69: 5:56am On Feb 07, 2021
Make I go tell my wife because the way she they behave if my girl they shit this teeth shit ehhh...I for don die for heart attack if I no strong. From bentotit,to Pican,to teeth powder to yoruba black soap,to Yoruba hand bangle,I just vex tell her say make she remove the bangle cos I no see wetin consign bangle for hand and teeth wey dey up....

1 Like

Re: Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians by Hadley02(f): 6:03am On Feb 07, 2021
Enlightening!

Check my profile for James Hadley Chase Novels
Re: Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians by NoToPile: 6:13am On Feb 07, 2021
I don't believe the teething does not cause pain part. I just don't.

Even when wisdom tooth wanted to come out as adults, it was very uncomfortable.
Re: Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians by olajizz01(m): 6:46am On Feb 07, 2021
Noted
Re: Why Mothers Shouldn’t Give Teething Powder To Babies — Paediatricians by Ayofaks(f): 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2021
Oyiboman69:
Make I go tell my wife because the way she they behave if my girl they shit this teeth shit ehhh...I for don die for heart attack if I no strong. From bentotit,to Pican,to teeth powder to yoruba black soap,to Yoruba hand bangle,I just vex tell her say make she remove the bangle cos I no see wetin consign bangle for hand and teeth wey dey up....

This is funny cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

Health Effects Of Seasoning Cubes You Should Know / How Does Mental Stress Affect Your Health? / How Do I Cure Stubborn Std.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.