Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,967 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title (8796 Views)

D'Tigress Defeats Mali To Become 2021 Women's Afrobasket Champions / Nigeria Defeats Mali 79-58, Will Play Senegal In Afrobasket 2019 Final. / Norwich Celebrates Championship Title, As Thousands Of Fans Party On Streets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by ghettokid1(m): 12:06pm On Feb 08, 2021
The Atlas Lions became the first team ever to retain the African Nations Championship as they defeated the Eagles in Sunday's final
Morocco scored two second-half goals to defeat Mali 2-0 in the final of the African Nations Championship on Sunday, becoming the first team to retain the title in the competition’s history.

Soufiane Bouftini opened the scoring in the 69th minute after Mali had held firm for over and hour, but Ayoub El Kaabi added another 10 minutes later to take the contest beyond the Eagles.

To add insult to injury, Issaka Samake was sent off for Mali in the 93rd minute as their otherwise impressive Chan campaign ended on a sour note.

Despite entering the tournament as favourites, Morocco started the tournament sluggishly—with a narrow 1-0 victory over Togo before they were held 0-0 by Rwanda in Douala.

Things heated up in their final group game—a 5-2 rout of Uganda—before they cruised past Zambia and Cameroon in the quarter-final and semi-final respectively to reaffirm their status as tournament favourites.

Mali, meanwhile, went the distance in both of their knockout games—requiring penalties against Congo-Brazzaville and Guinea—and fatigue eventually told for them during the final stages of Sunday’s encounter.

The West Africans had the better of the early stages of the contest, but conspired to miss several chances, efforts they were later left to rue. In one instance, Moussa Kone was denied by Anas Zniti, while Demba Diallo was also thwarted by the crossbar.

After the pause, Mali had another excellent chance to open the scoring, but Sadio Kanoute's effort struck the woodwork as an opportunity went begging.

Bouftini opened the scoring in style 20 minutes from time with an emphatic header, before El Kaabi's diving effort sealed the title with 10 minutes on the clock.

While Morocco’s dominance told in the possession stakes—they saw 63 percent of the ball—Mali maintained more of a threat on the counterattack, and ended the game with 10 shots to the Atlas Lions’ seven.

He may not have scored in the final, but Morocco’s Soufiane Rahimi ended the tournament as the top scorer—with five goals—and the Raja Casablanca man also won the Player of the Tournament award.

On Saturday, hosts Cameroon were defeated 2-0 by Guinea in the third-placed playoff as they ended their own campaign on a flat note. The Indomitable Lions conceded six goals across their final two fixtures, having been outclassed 4-0 by Morocco in their semi-final.

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/morocco-defeat-mali-2-0-to-retain-chan-title/tq6vkptjqs91pgoaganvxtss

3 Likes

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by ghettokid1(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2021
Congrats to them
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by hopevalley: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2021
Hmmmm!!!!! The same team thrashed Nigeria 4 - 0 in the final of the edition before this one. Congratulations to them. Meanwhile, click on the first link on my signature if you are interested in making millions of naira as profit from export business.
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by oluwaseyi0: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2021
Where is Nigeria
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Cti28(m): 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2021
Where is Nigeria? Oh! I forgot, nepotism, tribalism and cluelessness has completely and voraciously finished it up.

2 Likes

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by lkillbrokehoes: 1:47pm On Feb 08, 2021
Congrats
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by uniqueboi1(m): 1:47pm On Feb 08, 2021
Nairaland grin

Space Bookers Association of Nairaland grin
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by EmeraldKing7(m): 1:47pm On Feb 08, 2021
Recently these Northern Africa teams have been humbling West African teams

Well it's no surprise, North Africa is well developed in all ramifications compared to Sub Saharan Africa

Only South Africa can compare to those Arab guys

2 Likes

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by uniqueboi1(m): 1:48pm On Feb 08, 2021
Na wa o
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by inoki247: 1:48pm On Feb 08, 2021
So Africa Nations cup dey go on I no know....

Abi na dream dem play am ni cos I don't understand....

14 Likes

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by specialmati(m): 1:48pm On Feb 08, 2021
when did they play the tournament

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2021
I doubt it's the afcon we knew
Salah, Mane, Auba no dey
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by DWJOBScom(m): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2021
I didn't even know African cup of nations was going on self

2 Likes

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by bigdammyj: 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2021
Noted
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by slimthugchimee2(m): 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2021
DWJOBScom:
I didn't even know African cup of nations was going on self

It's not afcon

This is chan

12 Likes

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by femi4: 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2021
Low quality competition...no publicity at all. CHAN was big under Hayatou

We want our Isaa Hayatou back. This Ahmad Ahmad isn't working

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by ForeThinker: 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2021
Congrats
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Felabrity: 1:55pm On Feb 08, 2021
Na Afcon be this?

I think say na Algeria win am
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by femi4: 1:56pm On Feb 08, 2021
Felabrity:
Na Afcon be this?

I think say na Algeria win am
Afcon for home based players = CHAN (African Nationa Championship)

7 Likes

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by femi4: 1:58pm On Feb 08, 2021
Cti28:
Where is Nigeria? Oh! I forgot, nepotism, tribalism and cluelessness has completely and voraciously finished it up.
They couldn't qualify....bad omen for our local players. Lost opportunity to showcase their talent
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by footlight: 1:58pm On Feb 08, 2021
Africa sport loosing its magic every day...
cant remember the last time i watched Super eagle on a pitch
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by BareFacedLies(m): 1:59pm On Feb 08, 2021
Cti28:

Na so una go just set complain but if given a leadership position you people will still do the same thing
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by adesegun121(m): 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2021
Congrat
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Hugomexis(m): 2:01pm On Feb 08, 2021
morocco team is very good
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by EFULEFU1(m): 2:05pm On Feb 08, 2021
This Morocco Chan team can trash our proper super eagles
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Cti28(m): 2:06pm On Feb 08, 2021
BareFacedLies:

Na so una go just set complain but if given a leadership position you people will still do the same thing

Perhaps you will do like them. But I assure we still have godly men in this country; men who will always stand for what is right.
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Omezif(m): 2:30pm On Feb 08, 2021
Nigeria is completely lackadaisical in football competition and other games these days than before.
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 08, 2021
Which one be African Nations Championship again? Don't tell me the cup of nations has been going on and I didn't even know.
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by walter11590: 3:01pm On Feb 08, 2021
Morocco has one of the best leagues so am not surprised

1 Like

Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Lanre4uonly(m): 3:12pm On Feb 08, 2021
They are worthy champion.
Thank you to Rahimi for the wonderful display at the CHAN. Your award as the most valuable player of the tournament and the highest goal scorer is well deserved.
In all, congratulations to Morocco for defending the CHAN again.
Re: Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title by Slynation(m): 3:19pm On Feb 08, 2021
I don't even know when it started....

(1) (2) (Reply)

FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? / Is Victor Moses Better Than Ikechukwu Uche ? / Saudi Arabia To Host 2020 Spanish Super Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.