Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,765 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Few Challenges Beginner Guitarists Face - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Few Challenges Beginner Guitarists Face (181 Views)

Simple Practice Tips For ALL Guitarists! / Advice Needed By Guitarists / Guitarists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Few Challenges Beginner Guitarists Face by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 11, 2021
Yes, you finally own a guitar or you lent one from a friend or family member and you go on to learn how to play, but after a few weeks you face some pretty bad challenges that want to stop you from playing, don't worry in this little article I'll touch a few issues you as a budding guitarist might face:

1) The Pain
"No pain no gain" is true but not all pains are good, as a guitarist who has probably been learning for days you can't help but notice that annoying pain on your fingertips, hell for all I know it might have swollen just like mine but I want to tell you that it is natural for beginners, this has to do with the fact that the strings on your guitar cause micro tears to tissues on your fingertips which is just like your first day at the gym where you experience these muscle pains in your joints, these micro tears heal and form a layer of hard skin gradually, this layers of hard skin are called calluses, when these form the pain stops being noticeable. Now building calluses is like I said a gradual process don't try to force it by playing over the pain, you would just end up getting a cut which would put you out of action for sometime, take small breaks when playing to avoid such incidents and don't even think of playing after coming in contact with water and lastly don't do something stupid like using sandpaper to rub your fingertips, it won't work and would instead cause more trouble for you by ruining your fingertips with injuries.

Now apart from fingertip pains, any other pain you experience is something you must take seriously, maybe pain in the neck, arms, back, these are signs that you have played long enough or you are maintaining bad posture, here's a link https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Good-Guitar-Posture&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiN84mSt-HuAhXFD2MBHXn0C7QQFjAQegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw1o3zn2y2dL0AZ8PzXaluuV

2)Southpaw or Left handed
Now you might have purchased a guitar finally and you are about to start playing then you realise that you're a lefty and you bought a right handed guitar, if you want to strum you'd have to turn it upside down and playing upside down ain't fun at all, hopefully you haven't taken it home yet so you ask for a left handed guitar but unfortunately they are either out of stock or more expensive, yes that's the problem lefties face, I want to share a secret with you, take that guitar home, why? You can turn your bad luck into good luck because you will obviously use your left for fretting that is holding down the string while playing and since the fretting hand does far more work than the strumming hand this is a big advantage a lot of lefties don't know, if you think this is a lie go on and ask in any guitar forum about Mark Knopfler and why he plays right handed guitars even though he is a lefty, but this is one of few choices, you can also:

* Save up for a left handed guitar
*Play upside down

3)You have to press to hard to play a note
You turn to your TV or phone and you see geniuses like Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page and Mark Knopfler breeze through the frets like nothing, you look closer and see that they don't press too hard but when you try to lightly press it you get that stupid buzzing sound or the note doesn't ring at all (a mute string) but when you press hard you hear the sound or when you try to practise your hammer ons you can't hear the note unless you hit harder, the problem might not be your fault but the guitar's, the action is too high, that is the neck is either just dead on straight or it's bowed forwards therefore causing the strings to float high above the board causing you great stress just to hold down a note. You'll have to adjust this by turning the truss rod.
* First of all, your guitar must have come with a small metal bar that is "L" shaped look for this and place it beside you.

* Then where the hole for adjusting the truss rod depends on your guitar, if it is electric the a hole is on your guitar neck just around the area your tuning pegs are located, as for the acoustic check inside the sound hole towards the neck's joint you'll see it there.

* Just like you'd use a wench on bolts do the same thing with the metallic nut. Turn it anti clockwise in little by little.

Note that I'm not an expert at this, I have tried it and it worked but that means nothing, you run the risk or destroying the truss rod or cracking the neck of your guitar which is hard to fix, if you feel you aren't up to it ask your friends who are professionals to do it or ask them to help you contact someone who fixes guitars if you don't know anyone that does that.

(1) (Reply)

New Music Trending Now / Jay HUDO - No Problem | Mp3 Download / This Song Will Brings Tears To Your Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.