Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,511 members, 7,843,530 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? (1684 Views)

How Transsion Holdings Are Cheating And Lying To Nigerians / Is This Good? Please Everybody Help Me See This Pics / Transsion Holdings Is The Biggest Seller In The Nigerian Mobile Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 10:43am On Feb 14, 2021
As we all should know by now, ARM or Advanced RISC Machine is the company that has a monopoly on all Smartphone chipset design.

All Smartphone SoC designs and instruction sets belongs to them. All inclusive, even Apple’s Bionic too. They even have a GPU business too. All Mali GPUs belong to ARM as well.

The Smartphone world today would not exist without the innovations done by ARM. The entire Smartphone SoC industry lies in the palm of their hands.

Others have tried to break into the Smartphone market and failed. Texas instruments tried and failed, Intel also tried to port it’s X86 architecture for mobile too and even licensed it to Unisoc at some point.

They both failed to kick on.

ARM was and still is the best fit for Smartphone mobile computing. ARM designs have gotten so good that Qualcomm and Apple are putting their mobile flagship SoCs on laptops and these laptops are running windows without sweat.

In fact, Apple’s M1 went toe to toe with Intel’s i7 in recent benchmark tests without overheating. The M1 is a modified A14 Bionic.

ARMs SoC design may be the future of computing in general as the powerful X86 architecture of Intel and AMD seems to be on the wane of recent.

The CPU market for desktops and laptops has always been a duopoly dominated by Intel and their X86 architecture with AMD challenging them every step of the way since year 2000 at least.

There is a third company however that has been in the shadows, watching and waiting.

That company is Nvidia.

Nvidia are famous for making GPUs/Graphic cards. Their GPU designs are an industry standard.

They made the term GPU popular.

Nvidia despite their success with GPUs have always wanted a share of the CPU/SoC market.

Unable to challenge Intel and AMD in the early 2010s, they entered into the mobile market with their Tegra SoCs and failed woefully.

Nvidia are back ten years later and they’re after the whole market in general, both PC and Mobile.

They have already signed an agreement with Samsung to supply them GPUs. This means that Samsung will stop using ARM’s Mali GPUs for their Exynos SoCs.

Nvidia now want to buy ARM and take over the entire Smartphone SoC industry, both designs, architecture, instruction sets etc.

With ARM CPUs showing that they can challenge PC CPUs, Nvidia can take over both the desktop and mobile market with one fell swoop.

If you can beat them, buy them.

Qualcomm won’t let that happen though.

They have voiced their opposition to this move from day one and will continue to do so.

This is because no company owns any SoC design, whether it is an ip core design or a custom core design.

The designs belong to ARM.

If ARM sells their business, the new owners may withdraw the licenses and Qualcomm could go out of business.

Not just qualcomm, other companies that depend on ARM designs may be at serious risk.

It’s clear Nvidia wants a monopoly. If that’s the case, anti-competition laws may not allow Nvidia to keep hold of core designs. If they (Nvidia) can’t convince regulators that they will play fair, then the sale won’t go through. China and EU are already looking into it.

If Nvidia are allowed to have a monopoly. It means every other company will go out of business which is not allowed. This would erase competition and drive up the prices of Smartphones.

It was because of monopoly that Ericsson's bid for Nokia’s Telecom arm was blocked. Because Ericsson already acquired Siemens and Nokia acquired Alcatel Lucent. This meant the market will be left with just 4 companies which is bad and Ericsson having far more superior control over Huawei, ZTE and Samsung.

What do you think?

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2021/02/14/why-qualcomm-is-opposing-nvidias-takeover-of-arm/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by Deicide: 11:28am On Feb 14, 2021
Well if they do I think most gaming phones would shift to Nvidia while most flagship would continue using Snapdragon chipset

1 Like

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 11:51am On Feb 14, 2021
Deicide:
Well if they do I think most gaming phones would shift to Navidia while most flagship would continue using Snapdragon chipset

Nvidia may refuse to give Qualcomm core designs. There may be no Snapdragon again.

2 Likes

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by Meister(m): 12:03pm On Feb 14, 2021
This is extremely unlikely to happen but if it does mistakenly happen it will be potentially problematic. A company having monopoly over any product has never been a good thing

3 Likes

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by jizzison(m): 12:18pm On Feb 14, 2021
Nvidia will be a DOMINATOR in the smartphone world.

2 Likes

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by Rareoil(m): 1:10pm On Feb 14, 2021
NVIDIA should leave ARM alone and focus on their GPU business.

Watch how this deal will be stopped by Apple, Qualcomm, and Samsung.

By the way ARM is going well, they don't need any help now.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by Nairalandwizerd(m): 1:22pm On Feb 14, 2021
Wetin concern 2face indivia with arm?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by KrazyDave16(m): 1:26pm On Feb 14, 2021
Nah that monopoly might happen but the antitrust act prevents them from trying to do anything stupid or force a takeover/fold on other businesses.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by KrazyDave16(m): 1:38pm On Feb 14, 2021
Rareoil:
NVIDIA should leave ARM alone and focus on their GPU business.

Watch how this deal will be stopped by Apple, Qualcomm, and Samsung.

By the way ARM is going well, they don't need any help now.
SoftBank groups (owners of ARM) are selling cos they aren't making the profits they were expecting, citing they "spent too much money adding this to their portfolio".

Selling will recover their money plus some profits. In other words, it is strictly business.

Qualcomm n Apple (especially Apple cos they're planning on ditching Intel for ARM) might stop the deal but it wouldn't have much weight cos they're both notorious for monopolizing the markets to some extent (semiconductors and mobile markets).
Samsung got a deal with Nvidia, might not say shii.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by Drizzle007(m): 6:55pm On Feb 14, 2021
If this goes through, it would favour Samsung and the exynos chipset more. Nivida can twerk their SOC architecture to be flawless with the nivida GPU on the exynos. Samsung might just be able to rival and surpass bionic is the smartphone market. This is interesting. Although I feel for Snapdragon and mediatek.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 8:48pm On Feb 14, 2021
Meister:
This is extremely unlikely to happen but if it does mistakenly happen it will be potentially problematic. A company having monopoly over any product has never been a good thing

Expect anything when it comes to money, politics and power.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 8:49pm On Feb 14, 2021
jizzison:
Nvidia will be a DOMINATOR in the smartphone world.

We don't need a dominator biko. Competition is good for consumers.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 8:50pm On Feb 14, 2021
Nairalandwizerd:
Wetin concern 2face indivia with arm?

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by Exumal: 9:51pm On Feb 14, 2021
End of innovations.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by KrazyDave16(m): 10:12pm On Feb 14, 2021
atheistandproud:

You need to do some research on Nvidia.

They don't love competition, they wanna dominate the competition.

1 Like

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by BennyDGreat: 10:18pm On Feb 14, 2021
I don't see it working out.
I like your write up. Very lit

1 Like

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by smartty68(m): 4:14am On Feb 15, 2021
Drizzle007:
If this goes through, it would favour Samsung and the exynos chipset more. Nivida can twerk their SOC architecture to be flawless with the nivida GPU on the exynos. Samsung might just be able to rival and surpass bionic is the smartphone market. This is interesting. Although I feel for Snapdragon and mediatek.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 9:47am On Feb 15, 2021
KrazyDave16:

You need to do some research on Nvidia.

They don't love competition, they wanna dominate the competition.

Wrong tag.

I know Nvidia want a monopoly. See what they've done to the graphics card market.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 9:48am On Feb 15, 2021
BennyDGreat:
I don't see it working out.
I like your write up. Very lit

Thank you
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by KrazyDave16(m): 3:34pm On Feb 15, 2021
atheistandproud:

Wrong tag.

I know Nvidia want a monopoly. See what they've done to the graphics card market.
RISC-V isn't fully ready to be implemented on the mobile space yet.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 2:46am On Feb 16, 2021
KrazyDave16:
RISC-V isn't fully ready to be implemented on the mobile space yet.
hmm...
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by KrazyDave16(m): 10:40am On Feb 16, 2021
atheistandproud:

hmm...
On paper it is good but IRL use not enough evidence to support this in the mobile space.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 1:10pm On Feb 17, 2021
KrazyDave16:

On paper it is good but IRL use not enough evidence to support this in the mobile space.

Good point
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by OLUWABIG(m): 3:54pm On Feb 17, 2021
The proposed deal would have died by now of Trump were to be president
Doesn't make sense to some and at same time those who know know already
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 9:20pm On Feb 17, 2021
OLUWABIG:
The proposed deal would have died by now of Trump were to be president
Doesn't make sense to some and at same time those who know know already

Lol.

The establishment couldn't control Trump. So they needed to remove him. Biden is a yes man.

1 Like

Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by Topmaike007(m): 11:32pm On Feb 17, 2021
wahala for transsion fans..now phone go cost well well
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by jizzison(m): 2:15am On Feb 20, 2021
atheistandproud:

I'm not saying we need a dominator but IF this goes through for Nvidia, then we might as well just live with it.

I really hope not though.

That would be MONOPOLY.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by OLUWABIG(m): 4:56pm On Feb 20, 2021
atheistandproud:

Lol.

The establishment couldn't control Trump. So they needed to remove him. Biden is a yes man.

Exactly you understand the game
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 2:24pm On Feb 21, 2021
Topmaike007:

grin grin grin
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by atheistandproud(m): 2:25pm On Feb 21, 2021
jizzison:

I'm not saying we need a dominator but IF this goes through for Nvidia, then we might as well just live with it.

I really hope not though.

That would be MONOPOLY.

I sincerely hope not.

If not the cheap and affordable crew go return with their mantra.
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by jizzison(m): 8:52pm On Feb 21, 2021
atheistandproud:

I sincerely hope not.

If not the cheap and affordable crew go return with their mantra.
Lolz!

CHEAP & AFFORDABLE CREW

This one weak me abeg.

Who be the captain of this kind CREW?
Re: Nvidia Wants To Buy ARM Holdings. Is This Good News Or Bad News For Us? by skywalker240(m): 11:36pm On Feb 21, 2021
Topmaike007:
you ehn. Mtch you ehn grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

20K Youtube Subscribers Or 20K Twitter Followers, Which Would You Prefer? Wh / Oppo A53 Or Camon 12 / Xiaomi Redmi Or Samsung... I Want To Make A Choice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.