Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Probate Case - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Probate Case (456 Views)

Probate And Letters Of Administration / Legal Aspects Of Divorce And Probate Matters ( Letter Of Administration And Will (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Probate Case by peesleem(m): 4:31pm On Feb 21, 2021
Please lawyer in the house, for probate case is it mandatory for me to pay the lawyer that I hire 10% out of the money in the deceased account.

This is very urgent please.
Re: Probate Case by Furbish(m): 4:51pm On Feb 21, 2021
No way!

I did one for my late dad a few years back. The lawyer wrote a letter of introduction for me to take to the probate office. This was in Kogi State.

The probate officer who happens to be a magistrate told me I never needed any letter from my lawyers.

Once I had the affidavit of next of kin, he directed me to a bank to make payments and then fill forms in his office.

He was a good man.

I got my letter Inna few months later. And got my dad's gratuity in my bank account after fulfilling all righteousness at the pensions office.

Pls go to your home state, make enquiry at the State high court probate office and be happy.

I hope this helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Probate Case by worry357: 4:53pm On Feb 21, 2021
I would say that's for you to negotiate with your lawyer.
Just one thought, if you try to go with a cheap lawyer, don't be surprised if he loads on other charges, or cheats you.
Re: Probate Case by candyguyofficia(m): 4:55pm On Feb 21, 2021
For a lawyer charge, it varies based on the lawyer's experience, expertise, vastness and other criteria. A lawyer is at liberty to charge as he deem fit although the charge should be considerate, considerate as in the status of the client.

In it all a lawyer charge can be negotiated, I would suggest you negotiate it with him or her. Some lawyers may charge more, but seem the lawyer has seen the statement of account of the deceased because what if the deceased had 2M in total spread across different account? I believe you would agree with me that 200k is cheap for probate case (well it would depend on the lawyer)

A lawyer charge could be an outright fee or based on commission, he wouldn't be wrong to go for either. Good lawyers are not cheap, just saying.

Legal fee are charge for service it can be negotiated and should be honoured, thread fly on NL about law not been lucrative but when the people are in dire need they run to lawyers but when they charge people start creating thread rather than negotiate like it's a rip off. I would have expected questions from persons commenting like; is the lawyer worth it? Is he a professional? Was it that Op didn't have enough money and suggested that on a successful application, the lawyer should collect a percent and the lawyer suggested 10%?
Can he deliever? How about you negotiate with him? (Except for one person above that said Op should negotiate).

Some persons who complain of 10% would gladly pay an agent 10% for securing an apartment for them but when it comes to legal fee everyone start acting like it's a rip off.

I'm not justifying your lawyer neither im I saying he is wrong or right, all I'm saying is that you should negotiate and if he doesn't bend you seek another lawyer.

In between:
Just curious, how much do you think is a good fee to pay a barrister handling probate case (s)?
Re: Probate Case by menix(m): 2:38am On Feb 22, 2021
candyguyofficia:
For a lawyer charge, it varies based on the lawyer's experience, expertise, vastness and other criteria. A lawyer is at liberty to charge as he deem fit although the charge should be considerate, considerate as in the status of the client.

In it all a lawyer charge can be negotiated, I would suggest you negotiate it with him or her. Some lawyers may charge more, but seem the lawyer has seen the statement of account of the deceased because what if the deceased had 2M in total spread across different account? I believe you would agree with me that 200k is cheap for probate case (well it would depend on the lawyer)

A lawyer charge could be an outright fee or based on commission, he wouldn't be wrong to go for either. Good lawyers are not cheap, just saying.

Legal fee are charge for service it can be negotiated and should be honoured, thread fly on NL about law not been lucrative but when the people are in dire need they run to lawyers but when they charge people start creating thread rather than negotiate like it's a rip off. I would have expected questions from persons commenting like; is the lawyer worth it? Is he a professional? Was it that Op didn't have enough money and suggested that on a successful application, the lawyer should collect a percent and the lawyer suggested 10%?
Can he deliever? How about you negotiate with him? (Except for one person above that said Op should negotiate).

Some persons who complain of 10% would gladly pay an agent 10% for securing an apartment for them but when it comes to legal fee everyone start acting like it's a rip off.

I'm not justifying your lawyer neither im I saying he is wrong or right, all I'm saying is that you should negotiate and if he doesn't bend you seek another lawyer.

In between:
Just curious, how much do you think is a good fee to pay a barrister handling probate case (s)?

Just because u are a lawyer nah so u write all these epistle..

Kontinew ooo
Re: Probate Case by peesleem(m): 10:22am On Feb 22, 2021
Furbish:
No way!

I did one for my late dad a few years back. The lawyer wrote a letter of introduction for me to take to the probate office. This was in Kogi State.

The probate officer who happens to be a magistrate told me I never needed any letter from my lawyers.

Once I had the affidavit of next of kin, he directed me to a bank to make payments and then fill forms in his office.

He was a good man.

I got my letter Inna few months later. And got my dad's gratuity in my bank account after fulfilling all righteousness at the pensions office.

Pls go to your home state, make enquiry at the State high court probate office and be happy.

I hope this helps.

Thanks man

1 Like

Re: Probate Case by Mummydjc: 9:05pm On Jun 02, 2021
peesleem:

Thanks man
please is anyone in Rivers State who applied for his late person gratuity and pension under police force that have succeeded? I need help pls. I started since 2017 to apply but I have not yet received any Kobo.

(1) (Reply)

Make Your Will, Don't Be Irresponsible / How To Stop Toilet Water Rises Then Slowly Drains Them? / Romance: Pastor Kumuyi Said If Your Wife Is Not Beautiful, Its Your Fault!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.