Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? (853 Views)

Electrical Vs Mechanical Faults: Which Is Worse? / Does Car A/C Increase Fuel Consumption / 5 Reasons Why You Should Carry Out Regular Computer Car Diagnostic Scanning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by lantres000(m): 3:20pm On Feb 25, 2021
Good afternoon Nairalanders, please i have a question to ask here.

My Wife drives a 2006 XLE Toyota camry V6, some 2 months ago the car started overheating and due to the lack of trust i have for my mechanic i had to try another mechanic for sake of second opinion. Well they wasted a bunch of my time without result so i had to go back to my mechanic, and he told me there is something he would do and the car will stop overheating. Well he accessed something around the compartment of the engine close to the inlet hose of the radiator and from no where the car stopped over heating. I have been asking him what he did and he kept on saying he is not going to tell me.

Well from no where the car started vibrating when you accelerate and this same mechanic told me that its the shaft (The side to the Gear box ) and also when you decelerate and try to accelerate again the car gives some squeaky sound like the engine is cranking and oga said the top gasket is flat.

Out of curiosity i took the car for a diagnosis the car never detected a flat top gasket or dead shaft but instead it showed that the thermostat is malfunctioning, which i suspect oga mechanic had by passed without telling me.

My question now is that if a car has a flat top gasket or any other related mechanical issue like bad shaft can it be detected by diagnostic kit?

Sorry for my long epistle please help me so that this man does not knock my engine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by aieromon(m): 5:06pm On Feb 25, 2021
lantres000:

My question now is that if a car has a flat top gasket or any other related mechanical issue like bad shaft can it be detected by diagnostic kit?

Sorry for my long epistle please help me so that this man does not knock my engine.

1. The diagnostic scanner will not detect a flat top gasket or a bad shaft.

2. You better change that mechanic before you end up buying a new engine due to overheating. A lot of people have lost their transmission to shaft replacement so make sure you engage a competent mechanic for repair work.

1 Like

Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by nurey(m): 8:15pm On Feb 25, 2021
lantres000:

My Wife drives a 2006 XLE Toyota camry V6, some 2 months ago the car started overheating and due to the lack of trust i have for my mechanic i had to try another mechanic for sake of second opinion. Well they wasted a bunch of my time without result so i had to go back to my mechanic, and he told me there is something he would do and the car will stop overheating. Well he accessed something around the compartment of the engine close to the inlet hose of the radiator and from no where the car stopped over heating. I have been asking him what he did and he kept on saying he is not going to tell me.

Well from no where the car started vibrating when you accelerate and this same mechanic told me that its the shaft (The side to the Gear box ) and also when you decelerate and try to accelerate again the car gives some squeaky sound like the engine is cranking and oga said the top gasket is flat.

Out of curiosity i took the car for a diagnosis the car never detected a flat top gasket or dead shaft but instead it showed that the thermostat is malfunctioning, which i suspect oga mechanic had by passed without telling me.

Some vehicle can eg mercedes benz never a toyota or Lexus of such years. Also results would come in technical terms like cylinder bank so so so low or no compression it is now the technician that will scrutinize it and find out gasket is the cause, rings or valve etc.

But no scanner would tell you your gasket is flat out, gasket has no sensor.
Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by lantres000(m): 2:43am On Feb 26, 2021
Thanks a lot my friends. I am very particular about the shaft change so that i dont loose my transmission in the process.

2 Likes

Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by vastolord4(m): 9:34am On Feb 26, 2021
Good replies.. thank you guys
Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by timifakay(m): 10:22pm On Feb 26, 2021
lantres000:

1. Thermostat was removed.
That's what he did around the inlet hose.
2. Scan result can show that vehicle is operating at temperature below threshold.
3. Compression test on all cylinders will show if there's compression loss and that will help in knowing if the gasket is burnt or not.
4. Visual inspection and drivability issues are best in diagnosis of shaft issues
Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by lantres000(m): 2:48am On Feb 27, 2021
timifakay:

1. Thermostat was removed.
That's what he did around the inlet hose.
2. Scan result can show that vehicle is operating at temperature below threshold.
3. Compression test on all cylinders will show if there's compression loss and that will help in knowing if the gasket is burnt or not.
4. Visual inspection and drivability issues are best in diagnosis of shaft issues

This sounds pretty educative, how is the compression test done ?
Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by timifakay(m): 2:44am On Feb 28, 2021
lantres000:

This sounds pretty educative, how is the compression test done ?

With the aid of a compression test kit inserted in each cylinder and the vkue5is recorded.

Re: Does Car Diagnostic Kit Detect Mechanical Faults ? by MOTIONTECH(m): 10:13pm On Mar 03, 2021
lantres000:

There is a diagnosis tool that can detect flat gasket.

(1) (Reply)

Benz C300 2010 Maintenance Advice / Honda Civic Rim Needed (with picture) / Why Is Jimny Jeep 2019 Not In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.