Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,812 members, 7,817,356 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread (536 Views)

Please My Puppy Is Dying From Parvo Virus Help Me To Save My Puppy / BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! / PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread by olamirewaju6190: 4:14am On Feb 26, 2021
The word PARVO would send a cold sweat down any dog owners face.
I am not a breeder nor a vetinary doctor, but believe me, I have heard my own share of Parvo.
Firstly, what's Parvo?
Canine parvovirus (also referred to as CPV ,
CPV2, or parvo ) is a contagious virus mainly affecting dogs . CPV is highly contagious and is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their feces .

The parvo virus became popular with dogs in the 1900s most especially with black and tan dogs
Examples we have :GSD, ROTTWEILERS, DOBBERMAN, the reason why the virus prefers black and tan dogs is yet still unknown, please don't get me wrong I am not saying only black and tan dogs get the virus, what I am trying to say is that it is more rampant with this breed of dogs, any dog could get a parvo from Ur GSD down to your EKUKE!
This might be a long read, but please endeavour to read it �

How is the parvo spread?
Parvo spreads easily from an infected dog feces, once a dog sniffs an infected dog feces, lick it, or my any means steps on it, be it has it may, the dog is infected.
Not only that human can be a carrier of this deadly virus,
1.stepping on an infected poo or a spot where an infected dog has poo and bringing in the same shoe home!! You have contaminated the environment! Your dog is at high risk of parvo!!
2 caressing an infected dog with Ur hands, with that same hands you caress your dog! Your dog would be infected
3.taking your dog to the vet!! Most people fall victim to this! Your vet should be the one to come to your dog at home not the other way round! So many diseases could be spread from the vets clinic so many! And to say the truth most of this vet are not well informed on how serious parvo virus could spread! Most strange disease are usually gotten from the vets clinic most especially the careless and old vet! Believe me this one's are the worst!.
There are some research bodies that believe crawling insects could spread the virus as well, by passing through an already contacted area, they belive they could pick up the virus with their legs and spread. I don't know how true is it!!
Re: What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread by olamirewaju6190: 4:40am On Feb 26, 2021
Prevention
Prevention is better than cure people say. Before you get your heart shattered into pieces, why not prevent it?!!
1. Ones your puppy is 6-8weeks she should be administered her first shot! Most vet just gives deworming and some unnecessary stuffs that's all for them!! Specifically ask for parvo vaccine, it might be espensive! But it's worth it, except you want to take chances with your puppy! Get your dog vaccinated agianst parvo..
2. Never take your dog to the vet! Let your vet come to it!
3.just because you get your dog vacinated does not mean your dog can't get parvo no more! Be careful when taking your dog for a walk avoid her sniffing around. Common with GSD. WHEN you back from walk clean her feets with diluted bleach
I however parvo is common with puppies! But does not mean adult dogs could not get it

Facts
1. Even after a dog died from parvo, the environment is still going to be contaminated for at least a year, so bringing in other dogs immediately after your former dig died of parvo is never a good idea, cuz your hearth would be broken the second time
2. parvo kills within 2 - 3days of symptoms
Symptoms which include (vomiting, hydration, depression, stooling, low energy level)
3. Only chlorine present in bleach could kill the virus contaminated area
4. Cold, freezing below - 21 degree Celsius can't kill the virus, boiling at 100 degrees Celsius won't kill it either!! Mad virus you say!
5. An infected dog that survive parvo can be reinfected again.
6.parvo could last indoor for at least 2months! Normal room temperature kills it with time (wierd ryt)

Infected dogs
Infected dogs should be quarantine as fast as possible and the area should be sanitize often with bleach.

Water should be kept away from the dog, as water aids parvo

Administer electrolyte to your dog to replace loss energy

For every 10 dogs infected with parvo, few as 2 survives. Making it 90 percent mortality rate

Most importantly, does you vet have sense!! Belive me only few of them.. Call your vet once you notice Ur playful dog stop playing and eating all at once!!!
Stay sharp, parvo is a very potent virus! Respect it!
#AwarenessAgainstPARVOvirus

1 Like

Re: What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread by Emmerich09(m): 1:44pm On Feb 27, 2021
Nice one Bro... My first dog was killed by the deadly virus... Wish I knew all these...

1 Like

Re: What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread by harmargedon: 10:04pm On Feb 28, 2021
A friend of mine gave my six months old boerboel a full tin of peak milk. few days later she had diarrhea and it all showed symptoms of parvovirus. After she fully recovered, I don't give her even a drop of milk after I realized she's lactose intolerant. But why do most dogs suffering from artificially induced diarrhea be regarded as parvovirus.
Re: What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread by Pfola: 12:55am On Mar 02, 2021
Just lost my dog to this.... A week now died in the vets clinic.... Learnt from this post.... Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread by olamirewaju6190: 5:48am On Mar 02, 2021
harmargedon:
A friend of mine gave my six months old boerboel a full tin of peak milk. few days later she had diarrhea and it all showed symptoms of parvovirus. After she fully recovered, I don't give her even a drop of milk after I realized she's lactose intolerant. But why do most dogs suffering from artificially induced diarrhea be regarded as parvovirus.
permit me to say this, dogs are just like human, they have allergies as well, once you find out your dog system react to a certain food, don't feed the dog with the food.

1 Like

Re: What Is Parvo And How It Is Spread by kekakuz(m): 7:37pm On Mar 18, 2021
I lost my first Dog to parvo. Sadly the doc never told me it was parvo. So i bought another one. Had the same symptoms.2 doctors gave up and said he was going to die. I spent almost 20k on drugs. Met a lecturer vet who told me he would try his best to save him. Luckily,the dog survived and he is alive today.
Roger lives on

(1) (Reply)

You Can Own A Pedigree Long Hair Wg Showline Gsd This Year 2022 / I'm Available With Any Type Of Your Breed Of Dog For Abduction / GSD Puppies For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.