Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,449 members, 7,850,568 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:42 AM

There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo (312 Views)

A Event Centre Business Investor Is Need / The Benefits And Dangers Of Cryptocurrency (bitcoin) Regulation / Investors Lose $190m As Owner Of Cryptocurrency Company Dies With Passwords (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo by murecool(m): 2:01pm On Feb 26, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsznDpkarpo

Cryptocurrency:* “There is need for regulation and not prohibition of Cryptocurrency” - Vice President Yemi Osinbajo speaking at the CBN Bankers’ Forum today, 26th February 2021.

"On the very topical issue of blockchain technology, digital assets, and cryptocurrencies let me say two things. First is that there is no question that blockchain technology generally and cryptocurrencies, in particular, will in the coming years challenge traditional banking, including reserve banking, in ways that we cannot yet imagine so we need to be prepared for that seismic shift. And it may come sooner than later. Already remittance systems are being challenged. Blockchain technology will provide far cheaper options for the kind of fees being paid today for cross-border transfers.

I am sure you are all aware of the challenge that the traditional SWIFT system is facing from new systems like Ripple which is based on the blockchain distributed ledger technology with its own crypto tokens. There are, of course, a whole range of digital assets spawned daily from blockchain technology.

Decentralized finance, using smart contracts to create financial instruments, in place of central financial intermediaries such as banks or brokerages are set to challenge traditional finance. The likes of Nexo finance offer instant loans using cryptocurrency as collateral. Some reserve banks are investigating issuing their own digital currencies. Clearly, the future of money and finance, especially for traditional banking, must be as exciting as it is frightening. But as we have seen in many other sectors disruption makes room for efficiency and progress.

Secondly, I fully appreciate the strong position of the CBN, SEC, and some of the anti-corruption agencies on the possible abuses of cryptocurrencies and their other well-articulated concerns. but I believe that their position should be the subject of further reflection. There is a role for regulation here. And it is in the place of both our monetary authorities and SEC to provide a robust regulatory regime that addresses these serious concerns without killing the goose that might lay the golden eggs.

So, it should be thoughtful and knowledge-based regulation, not prohibition. The point I am making is that some of the exciting developments we see the call for prudence and care in adopting them, but we must act with knowledge and not fear." - VP Osinbajo's thoughts on Crytocurrency

Re: There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo by vikinatius(m): 2:17pm On Feb 26, 2021
BUHARI: Anything that is not related to cows and fulani herdsmen is not my business.

I think Osinbajo must have told the slack illiterate that bitcoins can be used to buy cows that's why.

(

And at times i wonder if the CBN gov. is looking for amnesty. )
Re: There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo by Freestainworld(m): 2:28pm On Feb 26, 2021
Regulation is the key but prohibiting it will not work out.
Re: There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo by Jollylolly(f): 2:55pm On Feb 26, 2021
The VP's assertion is spot on; Blockchain tech & digital currency can't be ban in the real sense, all we need to regulate innovatively as this will challenge the traditional banking operations.
Re: There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo by Bisshop123(f): 3:06pm On Feb 26, 2021
But can it be regulated?
Re: There Is Need For Regulation And Not Prohibition Of Cryptocurrency - Osinbajo by ThreeEyedRaven: 3:09pm On Feb 26, 2021
Always talking while the abokis are making decisions

(1) (Reply)

. / Crypto / Crayfish And Sea Foods Varieties With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.