Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,486 members, 7,816,150 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week (1252 Views)

Eziagu Festival Of Heritage Records Impressive Cultural Exhibitions, Masquerades / Onitsha Ofala Festival Of Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off- PICTURES / Ogun Ito Sugar (diabetes) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 7:39am On Feb 28, 2021
Ito-ogbo OBOSI FESTIVAL (LONGEVITY CULTURAL FESTIVAL OF OBOSI KINGDOM)
IN ANAMBRA STATE NIGERIA. Ito-ogbo Obosi festival is an aged-long cultural festival of Obosi kingdom started around 1450, to thank God for the aged ones (octogenarians ) in Obosi kingdom, It is a festival of celebration of longevity, A traditional mass birthday party for the age grade that attained the age of eighty ( 80 ) years, and above. During the occasion, the Octogenarians are honored with the title of Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi, or Nwanyi Nnokwudo eshi/efi in case of women, which people refers to as, Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi Nwanyi nowadays. The title Ogbueshi is a powerful, prestigeous, respectable, adorable and admirable title in Obosi kingdom, which every true son and daughter of Obosi, even the wives( non indigenes) married to Obosi men pray to get in his/her life time. Though there are two categories of Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi in Obosi.
The first is that given to those that did Ito-ogbo Obosi festivals, that is the octogenarians. The second is the one given to those that may or may not be up to Eighty (80)years, that one is called Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi Odina-ana.

Records of the establishment of this cultural Festival of Obosi Kingdom and the age grade group system date back to 1450. Obosi People kept accurate records of their ages from as far back as the 18th Century, unlike some other towns in where ages were usually exaggerated or estimated through events or circumstances during the birth of their fore fathers (OBOSI FURU-UZO NO OGE-GBOO).
This festival helps give credence to the fact that Obosi kingdom is the first Igbo town, the first town in Nigeria, if not the whole Africa, that holds a longevity cultural festival, and as one of the Cradles of Igbo Civilisation.

In the olden days this festival to honor the Ogbueshis took place after every Six (6) years, for the people that attained the ages of 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, and 85 years, but later it was changed to three (3)years covering people of 80, 81, and 82 years.

Previously only male octogenarians were honored with the title of Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi and allowed to wear Red cap chief, then the female octogenarians were called Nwanyi Nnokwudo- eshi/efi but in later years female Octogenarians joined their Male counterpart to celebrate the Ito- ogbo Obosi Festival and were subsequently referred to as Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi Nwanyi, but without a cap or hat, until 2012 when ogbo Udokamma age (1931-1 933), celebrated their own; it was at that festival that the female octogenarians were also capped with a specially designed hat.
The Celebration is nowadays a week long program with different unique activities that attract people from all over the world, until the last day Sunday,( EKE), when the Christians among the celebrants go to their different Churches for thanks giving.

The non-believers or the custodians among them are decorated colourfully and they take their native cows(bull)( Eshi- Igbo) amidst different cultural displays to Eke Obosi ( IPU-EKE), where they shoot guns into the air in Jubilation and to announce that they have attained the grand age and Ogbueshi title which every true Obosi man or woman aspires to attain.
During the procession they sprinkle various gifts (money, sweets, chewing gums etc.) to the children in appreciations to what The Lord has done in their lives.

Some of the week-long activities are free seminars, lectures, talks on how to live long, free medical Checks, free medical tips, cultural displays, football matches, music concerts, masquerade displays, Honoring outstanding sons and daughters and good friends of Obosi kingdom who have been contributing in one way or the other for the progress of the town, beauty pageants to crown Ada-Obosi, The Ito-ogbo eve on Friday then the main capping on Saturday followed by the thanksgiving on Sunday or IPU-EKE on that Sunday EKE day.
Activities are currently in top gear in Obosi kingdom for the preparation of Ito-ogbo Igwebuike Age grade (1940 - 1942), coming up next month (this week) between 5th and 6th March 2021.

Those who want to witness this unique, cultural festival called Ito-ogbo Obosi need to start now to book for hotels around Obosi, Nkpor, Onitsha, and Oba because in the next 5 days all the hotels around these areas will be fully booked, except they want to lodge in neighboring state Hotels, I also advice those intending to witness Ito-ogbo Obosi Festival that there is no need of budgeting for food or drinks or meats for the week long Programs as Obosi kingdom will be filled with merry making with plenty to eat and drink for all visitors.

Long live Ndi Ogbueshi/efi Obosi. Long live Obosi Kingdom. Long live Igwe Obosi, HIS ROYAL MAJESTY. Igwe Chukwidubem Iweka III and his Ndi-Ichie.

Long live Anambra State.

Long live Nigeria. My prayer is that we all shall live to witness this unique prestigious, respectable, adorable, colourful, admirable longevity festival in Obosi come March 2021.

Credit Queenzibah
Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by smiliyB(f): 9:32am On Feb 28, 2021
Awwwww that's my people! Congrats to our latest Ogbueshi!!!

1 Like

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 28, 2021
smiliyB:
hey.... are you married, if no, I want to marry you
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by smiliyB(f): 11:34am On Feb 28, 2021
dannyrhymes600:

hey.... are you married, if no, I want to marry you
Hahahahaha, you just made me laugh so hard, thanks tho. Have a great Sunday wink
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Nobody: 11:51am On Feb 28, 2021
smiliyB:
Hahahahaha, you just made me laugh so hard, thanks tho. Have a great Sunday wink
you are welcome, but you didn't answer my question
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by smiliyB(f): 2:18pm On Feb 28, 2021
dannyrhymes600:

you are welcome, but you didn't answer my question
You can't marry someone you don't know grin cheesy
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 28, 2021
smiliyB:
knowing someone fully is not going to take more than 3 months. for you that is the bone of my bones it's only going to take a month. let's not deny ourselves this happy ending.

1 Like

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Nobody: 4:20pm On Feb 28, 2021
smiliyB:
now tell me, have you ever been in love? do you believe in love at first sight?. as soon as I saw your picture, I lost coordination, I don't believe in playing with people's hearts, the only reason why I will stop pushing forward is I you are married or have a fiance, but if what you have is a boyfriend, I'll gladly tackle him aside. I'll like us to chat on WhatsApp if you don't mind +2347033934012
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Ofunwa111: 6:01pm On Feb 28, 2021
grin grin grin smiley
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by smiliyB(f): 7:39pm On Feb 28, 2021
dannyrhymes600:

now tell me, have you ever been in love? do you believe in love at first sight?. as soon as I saw your picture, I lost coordination, I don't believe in playing with people's hearts, the only reason why I will stop pushing forward is I you are married or have a fiance, but if what you have is a boyfriend, I'll gladly tackle him aside. I'll like us to chat on WhatsApp if you don't mind +2347033934012
Wahala be like person wey never marry lipsrsealed cheesy cheesy Danny thanks for the compliment tho, I appreciate wink. Have a great week ahead.
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Nobody: 8:00pm On Feb 28, 2021
smiliyB:
Wahala be like person wey never marry lipsrsealed cheesy cheesy Danny thanks for the compliment tho, I appreciate wink. Have a great week ahead.
so you are turning me down without even getting to know me, I won't give up, we'll meet again soon
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 28, 2021
cry Wish I'm currently there cry

Anambra men about to do what they know how to do best. undecided
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Kayberg: 9:54pm On Feb 28, 2021
smiliyB:

If you're single, please give the guy a chance. You don't have to make him sweat for too long.
But be very careful as well because it is an anonymous approach.
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Vaiki(m): 3:18am On Mar 01, 2021
Obosi kwenu!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Vaiki(m): 3:20am On Mar 01, 2021
smiliyB:
Are you from Obosi?
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by smiliyB(f): 7:36am On Mar 01, 2021
Vaiki:
Are you from Obosi?
Yes, I am smiley
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Vaiki(m): 7:41am On Mar 01, 2021
smiliyB:
Yes, I am smiley
cool. I have friends from Obosi who have invited me and I will honor the invite. Will you be there?
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by Kayberg: 8:37am On Mar 01, 2021
Vaiki:
cool. I have friends from Obosi who have invited me and I will honor the invite. Will you be there?

She'll be there….. I guess….
So when it turns out well, invite me to your wedding….
wink

1 Like

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by smiliyB(f): 11:37am On Mar 01, 2021
Vaiki:
Awwwww that's nice, I'm not yet 100% sure I'll be around. But, let's see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 4:49pm On Mar 01, 2021
smiliyB:
Yes, I am smiley

Nwa nne'm nwanyi cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by smiliyB(f): 5:26pm On Mar 01, 2021
ObosiFirstSon:

Nwa nne'm nwanyi cheesy
Lol...Dalu Nwa nne'm nwoke wink cheesy
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 12:00am On Mar 03, 2021
Three days to go!
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 8:39pm On Mar 03, 2021
Start expecting pics in the next few days...
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 9:57pm On Mar 05, 2021
Bloodbath in Obosi...cows are being slaughtered left, right and centre
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2021
The pre-event parties have begun
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 10:00pm On Mar 05, 2021
The main event will take place tomorrow
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by ObosiFirstSon(m): 5:05pm On Mar 07, 2021
Pics from the event

Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by IDENNAA(m): 10:19pm On Mar 08, 2021
You need those colorful Ito-ogbo pictures and this thread will hit front page.
Re: Ito-ogbo Festival Of Obosi Kingdom 2021 takes place this week by IDENNAA(m): 10:22pm On Mar 08, 2021
ObosiFirstSon:
Ito-ogbo OBOSI FESTIVAL (LONGEVITY CULTURAL FESTIVAL OF OBOSI KINGDOM)
IN ANAMBRA STATE NIGERIA. Ito-ogbo Obosi festival is an aged-long cultural festival of Obosi kingdom started around 1450, to thank God for the aged ones (octogenarians ) in Obosi kingdom, It is a festival of celebration of longevity, A traditional mass birthday party for the age grade that attained the age of eighty ( 80 ) years, and above. During the occasion, the Octogenarians are honored with the title of Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi, or Nwanyi Nnokwudo eshi/efi in case of women, which people refers to as, Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi Nwanyi nowadays. The title Ogbueshi is a powerful, prestigeous, respectable, adorable and admirable title in Obosi kingdom, which every true son and daughter of Obosi, even the wives( non indigenes) married to Obosi men pray to get in his/her life time. Though there are two categories of Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi in Obosi.
The first is that given to those that did Ito-ogbo Obosi festivals, that is the octogenarians. The second is the one given to those that may or may not be up to Eighty (80)years, that one is called Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi Odina-ana.

Records of the establishment of this cultural Festival of Obosi Kingdom and the age grade group system date back to 1450. Obosi People kept accurate records of their ages from as far back as the 18th Century, unlike some other towns in where ages were usually exaggerated or estimated through events or circumstances during the birth of their fore fathers (OBOSI FURU-UZO NO OGE-GBOO).
This festival helps give credence to the fact that Obosi kingdom is the first Igbo town, the first town in Nigeria, if not the whole Africa, that holds a longevity cultural festival, and as one of the Cradles of Igbo Civilisation.

In the olden days this festival to honor the Ogbueshis took place after every Six (6) years, for the people that attained the ages of 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, and 85 years, but later it was changed to three (3)years covering people of 80, 81, and 82 years.

Previously only male octogenarians were honored with the title of Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi and allowed to wear Red cap chief, then the female octogenarians were called Nwanyi Nnokwudo- eshi/efi but in later years female Octogenarians joined their Male counterpart to celebrate the Ito- ogbo Obosi Festival and were subsequently referred to as Ogbueshi/Ogbuefi Nwanyi, but without a cap or hat, until 2012 when ogbo Udokamma age (1931-1 933), celebrated their own; it was at that festival that the female octogenarians were also capped with a specially designed hat.
The Celebration is nowadays a week long program with different unique activities that attract people from all over the world, until the last day Sunday,( EKE), when the Christians among the celebrants go to their different Churches for thanks giving.

The non-believers or the custodians among them are decorated colourfully and they take their native cows(bull)( Eshi- Igbo) amidst different cultural displays to Eke Obosi ( IPU-EKE), where they shoot guns into the air in Jubilation and to announce that they have attained the grand age and Ogbueshi title which every true Obosi man or woman aspires to attain.
During the procession they sprinkle various gifts (money, sweets, chewing gums etc.) to the children in appreciations to what The Lord has done in their lives.

Some of the week-long activities are free seminars, lectures, talks on how to live long, free medical Checks, free medical tips, cultural displays, football matches, music concerts, masquerade displays, Honoring outstanding sons and daughters and good friends of Obosi kingdom who have been contributing in one way or the other for the progress of the town, beauty pageants to crown Ada-Obosi, The Ito-ogbo eve on Friday then the main capping on Saturday followed by the thanksgiving on Sunday or IPU-EKE on that Sunday EKE day.
Activities are currently in top gear in Obosi kingdom for the preparation of Ito-ogbo Igwebuike Age grade (1940 - 1942), coming up next month (this week) between 5th and 6th March 2021.

Those who want to witness this unique, cultural festival called Ito-ogbo Obosi need to start now to book for hotels around Obosi, Nkpor, Onitsha, and Oba because in the next 5 days all the hotels around these areas will be fully booked, except they want to lodge in neighboring state Hotels, I also advice those intending to witness Ito-ogbo Obosi Festival that there is no need of budgeting for food or drinks or meats for the week long Programs as Obosi kingdom will be filled with merry making with plenty to eat and drink for all visitors.

Long live Ndi Ogbueshi/efi Obosi. Long live Obosi Kingdom. Long live Igwe Obosi, HIS ROYAL MAJESTY. Igwe Chukwidubem Iweka III and his Ndi-Ichie.

Long live Anambra State.

Long live Nigeria. My prayer is that we all shall live to witness this unique prestigious, respectable, adorable, colourful, admirable longevity festival in Obosi come March 2021.

Credit Queenzibah
Lalasticlala

Cc.ObosiFirstSon

Agu, upload the picture and we will make sure you hit front page.

Also , the festival need legitimate sponsorship like Ofala Onicha.

(1) (Reply)

Colonization / Friday The 13th: Do You Believe In It? / Nigerian Ladies With Aa Men Or Carribean Men Come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.