Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,138 members, 7,860,089 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:42 AM

Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa (2276 Views)

Nigeria Is The First African Country To Use Elon Musk's Starlink / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Elon Musk’s STARLINK Approved By Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by RubiesBanking: 6:03am On Mar 04, 2021
Starlink, the satellite internet constellation being developed by SpaceX, targets Africa’s coverage in late 2021 and 2022.

Only Nigeria may expect the late 2021 launch, while other African countries should have access to Starlink satellite internet service in 2022. To be part of the early users, you have to join the “Better Than Nothing” beta programme because it takes about six months to fulfil a pre-order. You can pre-order on the Starlink website for a refundable $99. The Starlink kit, which includes a mounting tripod, WiFi router, and terminal to connect to the satellites, costs $499.

It is important to note that coverage across countries would vary (see satellites map). With only about 1,300 satellites launched as of February, “users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50 Megabit per second to 150Mbps and latency from 20 milliseconds to 40ms… There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all”, Starlink says on its website.

Elon Musk, the founder of SpaceX—the parent company of Starlink, has said speed will double to ~300Mbps, and latency will drop to 20ms later this year. He added that Starlink targets most of the populated Earth by the end of 2021 and total coverage by 2022. Thereafter, it would be “about densifying coverage”, Musk said.

Starlink’s goal is to have about 42,000 satellites constellation in orbit by 2027. But the Federal Communications Commission and the International Telecommunication Union have approved only 12,000 of its satellites.

What are the limitations of Starlink satellite internet?
Satellite internet is best for low to medium population density areas. It can also provide internet access to areas where broadband is unreliable or unavailable. However, with a monthly subscription of $99 (that’s about ₦37,000, which is more than the ₦30,000 minimum wage) and $499 (~₦190,000) for the Starlink kit, most people in developing countries may not be able to afford it.

Hence, some analysts had criticised the satellite internet project. They argue that Starlink and its ilks won’t deliver internet access at prices people in developing countries can afford. “It’s a bit like trying to make up for lack of roads by building cars that don’t need them “, Mark Summer, CEO of EveryLayer, told Wired.

Facebook and some of the world’s largest telecom carriers, including China Mobile Ltd, heeded satellite internet critics’ advice to deploy the internet the old-fashioned way, especially in developing countries. In May 2020, Facebook announced that it has partnered with leading African and global operators to build 2Africa, the most comprehensive subsea cable to serve the African continent and the Middle East region.

The regulatory framework SpaceX would have to comply with to operate Starlink in African countries is also unclear. For instance, it is required to obtain a licence before it can operate in South Africa.

Last month, the Independent Communication Authority of South Africa (ICASA) said it is having discussions with SpaceX regarding Starlink. Because to operate Starlink in South Africa, SpaceX would need to obtain an Individual Electronic Communications Network Service (I-ECNS) and Individual Electronics Communications Service licence.

https://africanews.space/starlink-satellite-internet-target-africa-coverage-late-2021-2022/amp/

4 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by sf9fitness: 6:09am On Mar 04, 2021
If you are struggling with Weight loss, understand that it is not rocket science.
To achieve results, you only need to apply the right technique.

Something as simple as building the right support system can make all the difference in your weight loss journey.

Join me as I take you on a 7 Days Free Online weight loss training and teach you all the techniques that can topple the scale in your favor, so that you can enjoy a better health, be more productive and live life confidently.

Direct link to whatsapp group:
bit. ly / Fatmustgo (clear the spaces)
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Leemekzy: 6:20am On Mar 04, 2021
ok.
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by harmargedon: 6:49am On Mar 04, 2021
like we'd notice.

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by harmargedon: 6:50am On Mar 04, 2021
if that makes him sleep well at night.

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Raymondj0: 7:42am On Mar 04, 2021
30k monthly? I don't think Nigeria will buy dis idea because we're still complaining that those local networks subscription charging us 15k for unlimited is too high and dis one is coming for 30k plus, it's not for the masses just for few people.

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Shellsploit: 7:59am On Mar 04, 2021
lol... person still dey battle with high tariff plan from local network operators.

Glo network sef!
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by NinjaMetahuman: 8:10am On Mar 04, 2021
Raymondj0:
30k monthly? I don't think Nigeria will buy dis idea because we're still complaining that those local networks subscription charging us 15k for unlimited is too high and dis one is coming for 30k plus, it's not for the masses just for few people.
15k unlimited in Nigeria?

Where? Which isp?

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Etesam(m): 8:12am On Mar 04, 2021
Raymondj0:
Which ISPs are offering unlimited subs?
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by OneKinGuy(m): 8:29am On Mar 04, 2021
Raymondj0:
which networks offers u 15k unlimited??
50gb u never see with 15k.

3 Likes

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by 8BowlofFlour: 10:31am On Mar 04, 2021
It will aid 6g coverage
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 04, 2021
I read everything but I was able to decipher a little. Nigeria has failed me. Just look at the most intelligent dude in my class back then selling MP3 now cry . Try as much as possible not to have a kid in Nigeria.
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Arthurity1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 04, 2021
Raymondj0:
15k unlimited? which network is that abeg!?
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by juniorstar(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2021
musk...still targeting the richest man spot.And he is about to get there..this is the final kill. make we dey watch sha.
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Raymondj0: 6:40pm On Mar 04, 2021
Raymondj0:
not really like what you guys are thinking but 15k for 70 gigabytes monthly is still fair... Referring to SMILE network
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Kennyking1234: 6:42pm On Mar 04, 2021
D
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Nbotee(m): 7:35pm On Mar 04, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by edoairways: 10:33pm On Mar 04, 2021
Raymondj0:
Provided internet connection is stable and data is unlimited
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Dailymice: 11:02pm On Mar 04, 2021
good development but the rich will benefit
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by Raymondj0: 11:12pm On Mar 04, 2021
edoairways:

Provided internet connection is stable and data is unlimited
yeah you're right, if the unlimited no get any data cap with a very good network, I won't mind doing it monthly.. It'll help cut some other costs like monthly dstv because I'll be using android apps to stream movies and sports and all other stuff like that
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by edoairways: 11:19pm On Mar 04, 2021
Raymondj0:
yeah you're right, if the unlimited no get any data cap with a very good network, I won't mind doing it monthly.. It'll help cut some other costs like monthly dstv because I'll be using android apps to stream movies and sports and all other stuff like that
Of course
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by NinjaMetahuman: 12:26am On Mar 05, 2021
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by joinnow: 1:18am On Mar 05, 2021
My mars guy

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by michlins(m): 4:35am On Mar 05, 2021
This will help some startup companies.
Small to medium size hotels and hostels can take advantage of it

1 Like

Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by briggson07(m): 6:53pm On May 11, 2021
I won't act like I understand all that's written here

Huh...
Lalasticlala
Re: Elon Musk’s Starlink Satellite Internet Targets Late 2021 Launch In Africa by AlphaSoul: 11:10pm On May 18, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Suggest A Phone Of 55k To 65k For Me / Nokia C30 Or Itel P38 Pro / MTN E-sim??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.