Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,683 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing (420 Views)

Average Monthly Bills Spent On Subscription/Utilities..!!! / Why Is The Average Nigerian Always Angry? / Audu Maikori Tipped To Be Judge At MIT Inclusive Innovation Challenge 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Lexaccord(m): 7:07pm On Mar 07, 2021
Good Day fellow Nigerians, Home and Abroad. There is an issue which is now very prevalent (thiugh it has been happening before now, but I guess it is now more brazen). A typical Nigerian in a private or public institution wants to get a tip from you for doing nothing. From general understanding, a tip is a reward (monetary) given to someone for a service. In Nigeria, the security at the ATM point who just points you to the way to the ATM waits for you to give him a tip, the gateman to your estate who is being paid monthly salary wants a tip every time he is performing his duty of opening and locking the gate, the woman who gives you your card at the general hospital also wants to be tipped. Now if these people who have virtually done anything extraordinary outside of their normal call to duty want to be tipped all the time, what will remain for the genuine waiter at a restaurant who has given a fantastic service to deliver on time and ensure your needs are met and many more other dutifull workers. Our people must realise this is not too right as we will continue to breed people with an entitlement mentality.
Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by harmargedon: 7:22pm On Mar 07, 2021
because they are broke. I wouldn't have so much on me and be expecting to collect change from you.

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Lexaccord(m): 7:35pm On Mar 07, 2021
harmargedon:
because they are broke. I wouldn't have so much on me and be expecting to collect change from you.

lol...u no lie at all
Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Origin(f): 7:36pm On Mar 07, 2021
Its the beggar mentality...

The low self esteem mentality....

The lack of self respect mentality...

Yes there is poverty in the land. And the pay may not be good.

But that should never be the answer. I have seen security guards that wear gatored shirts bright, black and shiny shoes who greet you with a smile. I know their pay is not good but would not stoop to begging.

I've met people wey get qualifications pass water who started with very low paying jobs and still did not beg.

The most unfortunate part is the one who earns a lot of money and still begs/steal from the poverty striken (palliative). That is the highest form of begging. They look rich but their eyes is always begging and greedy

2 Likes

Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Omihanifa: 7:40pm On Mar 07, 2021
It's the norm nah
although it's not right but that's the situation we have found ourselves in this country

Its even worse when you go to any government establishment. To get anything done you must drop raba (bribe) if you don't, nobody will listen to you .

It has also trickle down to the churches and mosques. If you want to see any of the religious leaders, you must go through a process and something must give

1 Like

Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Pochettino(f): 7:49pm On Mar 07, 2021
You left out we women that expect to be tipped just for smiling or chatting with you. The urgent 2k and 5k gang...
Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Lexaccord(m): 10:04pm On Mar 07, 2021
Origin:
Its the beggar mentality...

The low self esteem mentality....

The lack of self respect mentality...

Yes there is poverty in the land. And the pay may not be good.

But that should never be the answer. I have seen security guards that wear gatored shirts bright, black and shiny shoes who greet you with a smile. I know their pay is not good but would not stoop to begging.

I've met people wey get qualifications pass water who started with very low paying jobs and still did not beg.

The most unfortunate part is the one who earns a lot of money and still begs/steal from the poverty striken (palliative). That is the highest form of begging. They look rich but their eyes is always begging and greedy
you talk well my sister
Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Lexaccord(m): 10:05pm On Mar 07, 2021
Omihanifa:
It's the norm nah
although it's not right but that's the situation we have found ourselves in this country

Its even worse when you go to any government establishment to get anything done , if you never drop raba (bribe) nobody will listen to you

raba style...lol
Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Lexaccord(m): 10:05pm On Mar 07, 2021
Pochettino:
You left out we women that expect to be tipped just for smiling or chatting with you. The urgent 2k and 5k gang...

lol.... I am sure you do not belong to this gang my dear
Re: Why Does The Average Nigerian Expect To Be Tipped Fpr Doing Nothing by Lexaccord(m): 10:11pm On Mar 07, 2021
Please guys check my signature below and book your shortlet apartments for holidays, weekend, baecation, vacation. You will get the best of executive services and customers come first. NO ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY HERE..LOL the customer pays our bills

See previous thread on the our beautiful properties

https://www.nairaland.com/6447517/luxurious-5-star-2-3

(1) (Reply)

This German Guy Said Hes Piss Smells Like The Asparagus He Just ate / Amazon.com/mytv | Activate Amazon Prime Account / Continental Giant Rabbit For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.