Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,567 members, 7,816,392 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele (16143 Views)

Wilfred Ndidi And Karim Adeyemi Donate To Maracana Stadium, Ajegunle (Photos). / Infantino Requests Countries To Name Stadium After Pele / The New Look Of Maracana Stadium In Ajegunle Tolu Complex Lagos State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by ogbiwa: 5:36am On Mar 11, 2021
Brazil's iconic Maracana stadium is to be named in honour of the country's legendary footballer Pele.

The move follows a vote by the Rio de Janeiro state legislature to change the venue's name to the Edson Arantes do Nascimento - Rei Pele stadium.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento is the 80-year-old's full name, while Rei means king in Portuguese.

The Rio de Janeiro's state governor must approve the name change before it becomes official.

Pele, who won three World Cups as a player for Brazil, scored his 1,000th goal at the stadium in 1969 when playing for Santos against Vasco da Gama.

The Maracana held the 1950 and 2014 World Cup finals, as well as the opening ceremony of the 2016 Olympics.

More than 200,000 spectators are reported to have been in the stadium to watch Uruguay beat Brazil in the 1950 final, although its capacity is now 78,838.

It was named after Mario Filho, a journalist who lobbied for its construction in the 1940s, but was known as the Maracana after the area in which it is located.

www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/56343750

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Beckham14: 5:40am On Mar 11, 2021
DesignAndBuild:
People who know how to honor their legends. Down here we have Rashidi Yekini's family living in penury, plus a host of others. Apart from Jayjay and Kanu, I can't think of any living or late legend who's doing so well
The government through the ministry of sports have done enough for Yekini's.

Do you want them to give the family Nigeria's 2021 budget before you'll be satisfied?

There are zoos and museum centers in the country that can be named after our Legends.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by osamz007: 5:53am On Mar 11, 2021
DesignAndBuild:
People who know how to honor their legends. Down here we have Rashidi Yekini's family living in penury, plus a host of others. Apart from Jayjay and Kanu, I can't think of any living or late legend who's doing so well

1 Like

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by UAE123(m): 6:32am On Mar 11, 2021
This is a way of honouring and appreciating a legend. It is even better that this honouring is about to be done when the great football legend is still alive to appreciate the honour the state of Rio de Jeneiro and the country as a whole is doing to him by renaming the great Maracana stadium with his own name.

2 Likes

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Homeboiy: 6:43am On Mar 11, 2021
It’s ok
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by paulolee(m): 7:59am On Mar 11, 2021
thats nice...pele was a brazil legend n he deserves d recognition he's getting..Argentina should follow suit n name one after diego..
Napoli av plans to name their stadium after maradona and Argentina is doing nothing..
a prophet isnt recognized in his own town..

1 Like

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by paulolee(m): 8:05am On Mar 11, 2021
Beckham14:

Do you want them to give the family Nigeria's 2021 budget before you'll be satisfied?

There are zoos and museum centers in the country that can be named after our Legends.
done what for Him? giving him sick mum peanuts after football fans online cried dt his family are suffering ?
the club he plays for in Portugal always celebrate his remembrance each year bt we dnt even know d date here in Nigeria unless an ex international comes and n make an outcry on dt day before we know dt they is someone like yekini..
incase u dnt know he was d record goal scorer in the history of this country n dt record still stands even after so many popular striker have come n gone..
yekini deserves more n I see nothing having a popular stadium named after him, no b only dose old and corrupt politicians dt looted funds for thier family would have stadiums to their name..

11 Likes

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Nobody: 8:28am On Mar 11, 2021
(claps) This is an act of pure intelligence by the person who initiated this. Better than some people wey be say na until you die before them honour you. By the way tell Laporta that I need a golden statue of Lionel Messi outside the camp Nou and also a monument of the greatest FCB team ever behind Leo.

2 Likes

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by tillaman(m): 10:02am On Mar 11, 2021
This man Pele is a great man and he deserve this
It’s a good thing they honoured him with this while he’s alive

6 Likes

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Enudapan: 10:02am On Mar 11, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so sophisticated

The great Pele
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Ihatethemods: 10:02am On Mar 11, 2021
A welcomed development. Pele the GREAT

Meanwhile, See the moment Pastor Mike apologized to Apostle Suleman for accusing him wrongly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnOBlpVrNE
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Virus99: 10:07am On Mar 11, 2021
Beckham14:

What has the government done for them oga ?
The Kwara State Stadium Complex should be renamed after Rashidi Yekini

4 Likes

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 11, 2021
smiley

Pele was and is a legend, guess what?
LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER wink

DON'T CLICK ON THIS LINK
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by deepwater(f): 10:08am On Mar 11, 2021
Will they change the maracana at Ajegunle as well...

Chai...

Apapa that year!!

Memories lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Canih28: 10:09am On Mar 11, 2021
j
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by vikiphy89(m): 10:09am On Mar 11, 2021
paulolee:

done what for Him? giving him sick mum peanuts after football fans online cried dt his family are suffering ?
the club he plays for in Portugal always celebrate his remembrance each year bt we dnt even know d date here in Nigeria unless an ex international comes and n make an outcry on dt day before we know dt they is someone like yekini..
incase u dnt know he was d record goal scorer in the history of this country n dt record still stands even after so many popular striker have come n gone..
yekini deserves more n I see nothing having a popular stadium named after him, no b only dose old and corrupt politicians dt looted funds for thier family would have stadiums to their name..
They should rename kano pillars stadium after him and remove dat yeye sani abacha stadium. Imagine sani abacha getting recognition

7 Likes

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by mysticwarrior(m): 10:14am On Mar 11, 2021
that man is a hero in Brazil

1 Like

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by donfemo(m): 10:15am On Mar 11, 2021
DesignAndBuild:

They are naming a stadium after Pele doesn't mean they give him salary constantly and all. In Nigeria we honour people too. When Ronaldinho was in prison how much did the Brazilian government do? Nigeria and entitlement mentality. When Yekini played for Nigeria, he was given full benefits and wages. Yes the government can assist but it shouldn't be an entitlement. I am also a Nigerian and so are you we all have needs and we are a developing country, we cannot start paying and taking care of all our footballers, boxers, and athletes, actors, musicians because they represented Nigeria and they are struggling now.

5 Likes

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 11, 2021
DesignAndBuild:

Nigerian politicians no dey use eye see money inside public coffers.
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Ans55: 10:22am On Mar 11, 2021
DesignAndBuild:

Jay jay and kanu are doing well out of their own making and not from the assistant of NFA or Nigeria as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by LZAA: 10:25am On Mar 11, 2021
Yet nothing named affer garrincha who was better than pele undecided

1 Like

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 11, 2021
Great man. My late dad told me of your exploits.

Imagine, some countries have never won one world cup in their history.

PELE the great won 3 world cups for country.

He should be the greatest player ever, because WORLD CUP is the highest stage in football worldwide.

Not my TWO brothers who have crashed out of UCL yesterday night.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Figolouis: 10:35am On Mar 11, 2021
CLAP
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Preacherrr(m): 10:37am On Mar 11, 2021
I LOVE THIS PICS OF APOSTLE SULEIMAN. IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE PRAYING. PLEASE HOW CAN I SAVE THIS PICS ON MY PHONE? [quote author=osamz007 post=99785287][/quote]
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Dpaulie(m): 10:38am On Mar 11, 2021
All
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Preacherrr(m): 10:40am On Mar 11, 2021
[quote author=osamz007 post=99785287][/quote]I LOVE THIS PICS OF APOSTLE SULEIMAN. IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE PRAYING. PLEASE HOW CAN I SAVE THIS PICS ON MY PHONE?
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by ipobarethieves: 10:41am On Mar 11, 2021
cool very good
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by Perfectsouth(m): 10:47am On Mar 11, 2021
abednigo Pele of brazil
Re: Brazil's Iconic Maracana Stadium To Be Renamed After Pele by peacekante: 10:57am On Mar 11, 2021
The GOAT

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osimhen Vs Onuachu: Start One And Bench One / Heartland Fc Of Imo Enjoys Dana Air Flight Ahead Of Match In Lagos / Fashola Splashes N54.5m On Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.