Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,596 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 (2226 Views)

UEFA Champions League Draw - Live / 2012/2013 UEFA Champions League Matches Today (notables) / Euro2012: Football Fan Dies After Going Eleven Nights Without Sleep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by AjanleKoko: 10:23pm On Apr 13, 2011
Yes Boss! It's 18 years since the first UEFA Champions League final was played at the Olympic Stadium in Munich, between AC Milan and Olympic Marseille. Basile Boli scored the only goal of that encounter, giving Marseille the first crown in the Champions League era. Not exactly an exciting final, but, well, it was the first. Of course I never saw it live, but did so eventually thanks to Dudu Orumeh's The Best Of Football.

My best three finals were 1999 (talk about a comeback for Man. United who had failed so many times in that decade to get to that stage!), 1996 (a special time for all cules, after a decade of ignominy in Europe, and 2009 (a fairytale season topped off by a masterclass performance against the strongest side in Europe). Those are the three finals that are nostalgic to me.

Tell us about your best three champions league final nights, from 1993 to 2010. Also tell us why they were so special for you.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by medjai(m): 10:54pm On Apr 13, 2011
Nice one AJ.
Juventus 3 Real Madrid 1(2002/03): What a game! Madrid had won the first leg 2-1 at the Bernabeu but trust The Dirty Old Lady, they stunned the champions at the Delle Alpi. What I really love about this game is that Nedved's third goal. The way he ghosted past Hierro and the shot that followed, definitely a collectors item.

Barca 4 vs Arsenal 1sad2009/2010) One finest ever displays of individual brilliance in football. Messi showed the world why he's considered by many as the G.O.A.T

Real Madrid 3 vs Valencia 0(1999/2000): The all Spanish final. One of the most exciting CL finals. Madrid were awesome on the night and the way Raul rounded Canizares for the third goal was just brilliant.

Liverpool 3 vs Milan 3(2004/2005): This is the match that taught us all that it's never over until the fat lady sings.

More to follow
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by A40(m): 11:02pm On Apr 13, 2011
1997 When Borrusia Dortmund upset the mighty Juventus by 3 goals to 1. Lars Ricken scored one of the most beautiful goals you would see in a UCL final
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by AjanleKoko: 11:18pm On Apr 13, 2011
A-40:

1997 When Borrusia Dortmund upset the mighty Juventus by 3 goals to 1. Lars Ricken scored one of the most beautiful goals you would see in a UCL final

Yeah man.
A screamer, right from the centre of the field, against the run of play.
Del Piero's back heel was also a beauty.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by dayokanu(m): 2:16am On Apr 14, 2011
Madrid vs Leverkusen

The goal that crowned the legend
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by dayokanu(m): 4:42am On Apr 14, 2011
The best CL finals for me were Ajax vs Milan (Supporting Ajax), Bayern vs Valencia, and Real vs leverkusen though supporting Leverkusen but Zidanes goal as irresistible.

My worst CL finals were 1999 and 2005
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by kashmo: 5:16am On Apr 14, 2011
Has to be the miracle in Istanbul - Liverpool 3 vs Milan 3. Never seen any final as explosive as that night; also, I witness the best supporters (loserpool) there is, despite trailing by three goals, they kept buzzing with their usual 'you will never walk alone!'
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by medjai(m): 7:09am On Apr 14, 2011
Barcelona 3 vs Man Utd 3(1998/1999): Barca were trailing 3-2 deep into stoppage time when Zenden's cross from the left was chested down by Rivaldo with his back to goal and then a spectacular over head kick from outside the box to level the score 3-3.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by dayokanu(m): 7:30am On Apr 14, 2011
^^ I believe the OP was asking specifically about finals
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by AjanleKoko: 8:54am On Apr 14, 2011
No matter my club allegiance to FCB, I have always made sure I enjoyed the Champions League finals, irrespective of whoever plays.
My worst CL final nights were:
- 2004, Porto - Monaco, turned out to be a hopelessly one-sided game. Monaco had shown so much promise, dispatching Chelsea so impressively in the semi finals, only to go down to Porto easily.

- 2001, Bayern Munich - Valencia. Hopelessly boring game.

-2003, Juventus - Milan.

-2008, Man United - Chelsea. I was rooting for Chelsea in this game, only for Terry to throw it away.

The 1999 final remains my personal best. For United to turn the game around in the very dying seconds, not just to tie it, but to win it, signified their arrival on the Europe stage as one of the Big Boys.

The other two finals I enjoyed involved Barcelona. Not so dramatic, but both games were a masterclass, in particular the 2009 final. Barcelona practically went into that game as underdogs. I can't forget the look on SAF's face as he watched his well-oiled machine hopelessly bossed around the pitch for the whole game, outclassed all the way. Simply the best. Expect a repeat in May grin.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by HNIC(m): 9:35am On Apr 14, 2011
Yep,CL finals, Not missed one since inception.Cancel all appointments on D-day cool

In terms of the Greatest, it has to be 2005 at Istanbul

After Maldini scored in the 1st minute and Crespo had a brace before half time, we all thought Milan had it wrapped up.Until Stevie G inspired a great comeback for the Scousers.It's still called the 6 minutes of madnes. . .when 'Pool got themslves back in the game from 0-3 down.
Who could forget Dudek's double save from Shevchenko's shot in the second half of extra time and his penalty heroics!?
Great stuff

Special mention also of the 1995 and 1996 finals.

In 1995. . .Who can forget the great joy on Kluivert's face when he beat two Milan defenders to scorethe only goal of the match with 5 minutes remaining.

and in 1997. . . the trio of Vialli,Del Piero and Ravanelli were outstanding destroying the Utopian footie played by Ajax.All three shoulda been tested for drugs grin

The worst was in 2006.14 minutes away from glory on a rainy night at Stade De France and Etoo scored.
All was set for a nite of celebration sad
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 14, 2011
HNIC:

and in 1997. . . the trio of Vialli,Del Piero and Ravanelli were outstanding destroying the Utopian footie played by Ajax.All three shoulda been tested for drugs grin
Stop misinforming folks.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by HNIC(m): 12:06pm On Apr 14, 2011
Special mention also of the 1995 and 1996 finals.

StarBoard:

Stop misinforming folks.
Oops. . . My bad
1996 I meant. . . Just like I wrote above. . .I was actually typing fast. . .
1997 was the Dortmund show. . . .
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by medjai(m): 1:28pm On Apr 14, 2011
dayokanu:

^^ I believe the OP was asking specifically about finals
Oops! My bad. I thought it was greatest CL matches. My eyes have been on holiday lately.

Greatest final:
Real Madrid vs Valencia in 2000- Morientes, Mcmanaman and Raul were all on target for Real. Real played some badass footie that night.

Barca vs Man Utd in 2009 - Barca simply outclassed United.

Most boring final:
Juve vs Milan in 2003
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 14, 2011
HNIC:

Oops. . . My bad
1996 I meant. . . Just like I wrote above. . .I was actually typing fast. . .
1997 was the Dortmund show. . . .
It's convenient for you to say it was a mistake,but a few months ago,when I said United was supposed to play Stoke instead of Blackburn,you went to town that I had goofed.
I could easily have poked you in the eye in light of your error as payback,but I'll be the bigger man and let you be.It's nice to know that you're not perfect afterall.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by tocdee(m): 2:46pm On Apr 14, 2011
StarBoard:

It's convenient for you to say it was a mistake,but a few months ago,when I said United was supposed to play Stoke instead of Blackburn,you went to town that I had goofed.
[b]I could easily have poked you in the eye in light of your error as payback,[/b]but I'll be the bigger man and let you be.It's nice to know that you're not perfect afterall.

Er. . .you just jabbed both eyes. Being the 'bigger man' should mean not even making that earlier post. It's like a guy boasting of his humility wink

Back to OP, Istanbul's Liverpool- AC Milan was utterly unforgetable! it was like something taken off a script!
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 14, 2011
tocdee:

Er. . .you just jabbed both eyes. Being the 'bigger man' should mean not even making that earlier post. It's like a guy boasting of his humility wink

I don't think you know what I'm talking about.The dude literally told the whole world I goofed.
I just pointed out his error.I didn't celebrate it like he did mine.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by ritchboy(m): 3:13pm On Apr 14, 2011
tocdee:

The boy is possessed by 77 gay demons. . .
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by dayokanu(m): 3:47pm On Apr 14, 2011
AjanleKoko:

No matter my club allegiance to FCB, I have always made sure I enjoyed the Champions League finals, irrespective of whoever plays.
My worst CL final nights were:
- 2004, Porto - Monaco, turned out to be a hopelessly one-sided game. Monaco had shown so much promise, dispatching Chelsea so impressively in the semi finals, only to go down to Porto easily.

- 2001, Bayern Munich - Valencia. Hopelessly boring game.

-2003, Juventus - Milan.

-2008, Man United - Chelsea. I was rooting for Chelsea in this game, only for Terry to throw it away.

The 1999 final remains my personal best. For United to turn the game around in the very dying seconds, not just to tie it, but to win it, signified their arrival on the Europe stage as one of the Big Boys.

The other two finals I enjoyed involved Barcelona. Not so dramatic, but both games were a masterclass, in particular the 2009 final. Barcelona practically went into that game as underdogs. I can't forget the look on SAF's face as he watched his well-oiled machine hopelessly bossed around the pitch for the whole game, outclassed all the way. Simply the best. Expect a repeat in May grin.

Talking about dissappointing one sided finals

How can you forget AC Milan vs Barcelona 4-0. With all barcelona gragra they were mauled 4-0 With Massaro, Savicevic and Dessailly

Real Vs Valencia 3-0 After valencia treated the fork up of Lazio and barcelona in comprehensive fashion they were badly humiliated by a struggling Real madrid with morientes grabbing the first Mannaman and Raul rounding the keeper from 40yrs out

Barcelona vs Man Utd. Despite Barca losing half of the starting defence that didnt stop them from bossing Manure for the whole duration
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by AjanleKoko: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2011
dayokanu:

Talking about dissappointing one sided finals

How can you forget AC Milan vs Barcelona 4-0. With all barcelona gragra they were mauled 4-0 With Massaro, Savicevic and Dessailly

How could I forget?
After all the hype of Romario and Stoichkov? Massaro grabbed a brace, Savicevic and Dessailly grabbed one each.
That was the end of the Dream Team in CL dominance, and they didn't return for another 12 years.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by dayokanu(m): 3:58pm On Apr 14, 2011
IMO Finals are not supposed to be interesting

Its usually a game where both sides cancel themselves out tactically cos you are in a final and no second chances.

The games that met this expectation Were Ajax vs Milan, Ajax vs Juventus, Real vs Juventus, Bayern vs Valencia, AC vs Juventus

If a final becomes end to end stuff then thats suicide.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by mukina2: 4:31pm On Apr 14, 2011
medjai:

Nice one AJ.
[s]Juventus 3 Real Madrid 1(2002/03): What a game! Madrid had won the first leg 2-1 at the Bernabeu but trust The Dirty Old Lady, they stunned the champions at the Delle Alpi. What I really love about this game is that Nedved's third goal. The way he ghosted past Hierro and the shot that followed, definitely a collectors item.[/s]

[s]
Barca 4 vs Arsenal 1sad2009/2010)  One finest ever displays of individual brilliance in football. Messi showed the world why he's considered by many as the G.O.A.T[/s]

Real Madrid 3 vs Valencia 0(1999/2000): The all Spanish final. One of the most exciting CL finals. Madrid were awesome on the night and the way Raul rounded Canizares for the third goal was just brilliant.

Liverpool 3 vs Milan 3(2004/2005): This is the match that taught us all that it's never over until the fat lady sings.

More to follow
Oga AJ said
Your Greatest Uefa Champions League [size=18pt]Final[/size] Nights: 1993 -2011  tongue wake up grin

My best was Zidane Vs Leverkusen smiley 2001/02
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 14, 2011
ritchboy:

The boy is possessed by 77[b] gay [/b] demons. . .
Led by your humble self.Your endless references to that sexual preference tells a lot about you.
Fake-a$$ Seinfeld.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by eyoniggar(m): 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2011
IMO. Liverpool VS Ac-Milan. I havent set my eyes on any finals as such. Gerrard was a beast that night.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by HNIC(m): 5:56pm On Apr 14, 2011
@Starboard
First of all, welcome back. . . where have you been? shocked
2ndly, I never claimed to be perfect
3rdly, nice to know, you've waited so long to see when I will goof grin
Fourthly, when you did,it was very 'fresh'. . . and not like mine that was 'some 14 years ago.'
It's all good. grin
The less errors we have here, the better for everyone.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by AjanleKoko: 6:30pm On Apr 14, 2011
Okay, by popular demand . . . I am modifying the title for discussion to ' Your Greatest UEFA Champions League Nights 1993-2011'.

So, feel free to contribute accordingly cool
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by medjai(m): 6:52pm On Apr 14, 2011
mukina2:

Oga AJ said
Your Greatest Uefa Champions League [size=18pt]Final[/size] Nights: 1993 -2011  tongue wake up grin

My best was Zidane Vs Leverkusen smiley 2001/02
You was on my mind when I made that post kiss
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by eldee(m): 7:28pm On Apr 14, 2011
Come on . . . 1999 was epic.

So United is one goal down, Bayern even struck goal. Fergie takes off two players and brings in two lame-ass subs. What happens next, the two subs score 91st and 93rd minute.
EPIC!!!
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by AjanleKoko: 8:49pm On Apr 14, 2011
eldee:

Come on . . . 1999 was epic.

So United is one goal down, Bayern even struck goal. Fergie takes off two players and brings in two lame-backside subs. What happens next, the two subs score 91st and 93rd minute.
EPIC!!!

Solskjaer was anything but a lame-azz sub undecided
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by ow11(m): 7:37am On Apr 15, 2011
For finals,

Ajax V AC Milan 1996. . . was rooting for Finidi to win it and Kluivert did

Liverpool V AC Milan 2005. . . Great comeback!

Barcelona V Manchester United 2009 . . . Fantastiuc stuff

For nights, The champion's league does throw up good memories but i'll pick two in the 99/2000 season

Watching Valencia tear Barcelona to shreds at the Mestalla with their diagonal passes during counter attack still makes me happy and Real Madrid's destruction of Manchester United at Old Trafford (Henning Berg V Fernando Redondo grin).
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 15, 2011
HNIC:

@Starboard
First of all, welcome back. . . where have you been? shocked
2ndly, I never claimed to be perfect
3rdly, nice to know, you've waited so long to see when I will goof grin
Fourthly, when you did,it was very 'fresh'. . . and not like mine that was 'some 14 years ago.'
It's all good. grin
The less errors we have here, the better for everyone.
Answers to your questions:
1.Got things to do,mayn. . .
2.You didn't claim to be perfect,but you jumped on me when I made my own error.This would also answer question 3.
4.Fresh or not,you goofed.So that statement should not arise.
Moral of the story:before checking others out,check yourself and be sure you won't do what you accuse them of doing.
I agree,the fewer the errors,the better for us all.
@all,
I would like us to increase the scope of this thread to ALL games,as Finals hardly ever live up to their billings.
ow11:

For finals,
Ajax V AC Milan 1996. . . was rooting for Finidi to win it and Kluivert did
Check that,it should be 1995
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by binhozie(m): 10:32am On Apr 15, 2011
2005, and thats cos i won money
After the arsenal goal, gunners jumping around the place looking for where to lose their money
I helped them

(1) (2) (Reply)

Real Sociedad Vs Real Madrid (0 - 1) On 29th October 2011 / Hull City Vs Man United [1 - 3] On Sunday 27th Dec / If Ballack Joins Chelsea? Who's Benched

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.