Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. (772 Views)

Help, I Feel Sick Every Evening / Akin Abayomi: Most People Who Contract Coronavirus Don't Feel Sick / Do You Know Your Body Can Not Get Sick If You Maintain Your Ph?get To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by And9: 9:08pm On Mar 20, 2021
Motion sickness in general is caused when your inner ear and your eyes disagree about whether you’re moving. When you read in a car, your visual field stays still but your inner ear detects the twists and turns.
Motion sickness in general is caused when your inner ear and your eyes disagree about whether you’re moving. When you read in a car, your visual field stays still but your inner ear detects the twists and turns. This sensory conflict triggers nausea, possibly because the brain thinks you’ve eaten something toxic that’s making you hallucinate. About a third of us are more prone to motion sickness, with children aged 2-12, the elderly, migraine sufferers and pregnant women among the high risk groups.

By Luis Villazon.

What is motion sickness?
Motion sickness is a sick feeling triggered by movement. It occurs in a car, bus, train, plane, or boat. It can occur on amusement rides or virtual reality experiences. Seeing the movement of others or things can trigger it. Motion sickness is not life-threatening. However, it can make traveling unpleasant. Planning ahead helps prevent, avoid, or reduce the effects. Other

motion sickness triggers include:
* Being in the back seat of a car unable to see
the horizon.
* Reading in the car.
* Not getting enough air in the car.

Motion sickness is common in older people, pregnant women, and children between the ages of 5 and 12. Also, it’s common in people who have migraine headaches. It may be genetic. Once the motion stops, the motion sickness stops. You’ll gradually feel better. In rare cases, motion sickness is triggered by a problem with your inner ear. This could be due to fluid buildup or an ear infection. Parkinson’s disease can cause motion sickness.

Symptoms of motion sickness.
Symptoms can strike without warning. They can get worse quickly. You may feel sick to your stomach (nausea). Other symptoms include vomiting, pale skin, headache, a cold sweat, dizziness, and irritability.

What causes motion sickness?
Motion sickness is an imbalance between what you see and what you feel. In the car, the car is moving forward. However, your body is standing still. This imbalance is what causes you to feel sick.

How is motion sickness diagnosed?
You may notice a pattern of sickness when you travel. See your doctor if you experience motion sickness repeatedly. Your doctor will do a physical exam. He or she will look inside your ears and at your eyes. Your doctor will ask you questions about your health history before recommending treatment.

Can motion sickness be prevented or avoided?
If you know you get motion sickness when traveling, plan ahead. These steps can prevent it or relieve the symptoms:
* Take motion sickness medicine one to two
hours before traveling.
Choose the right seat. The front passenger
seat is best in the car. Choose the midpoint on
a boat. Sit over the wing on a plane. Face
forward on a train. Sit near a window on a
train. These seats have fewer bumps. They
allow you to see the horizon. If you are on a
cruise, book a cabin in the front or middle of
the ship. Request a room that is closest to the
water level.
* Get plenty of air. Use the air conditioner or roll
down the window in a car. Direct the vent
toward you on a plane. Sit near a window
when you’re on a covered boat.
* Avoid things you can’t change. For example,
don’t ride on a speed boat. Waves and bumps
can make you sick. If you can’t avoid it, take
medicine in advance.
* Don’t read while riding in a car, plane or boat. * Look out the window at the horizon. Look at a
distant object.
* Lie down when you feel sick.
* Avoid a heavy meal before or during travel. Eat
small portions of plain food instead. Don’t eat
greasy, spicy, or acidic foods before or during
travel.
* Drink lots of water. Avoid alcohol.
* Avoid smells that make you sick (if you can).
This includes cigarette smoke.
* Talk to your doctor about different therapies.
This might include pressure bands (worn on
your wrist).

If your symptoms last longer than a few days, see your doctor.

Living with motion sickness.
Planning ahead is the best advice for motion sickness. If your motion sickness is mild, medicines are effective. If you know you have motion sickness, plan your diet, rest, things to avoid, and seat selection.

https://familydoctor.org/condition/motion-sickness/

Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by SanctifiedSista(f): 9:09pm On Mar 20, 2021
Thanks for this enlightenment grin
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by SUPOL(m): 9:36pm On Mar 20, 2021
Now I know, it made me hate traveling
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by Thattallgirl(f): 9:53pm On Mar 20, 2021
I've had this since I could remember anything, and not everything you posted above is applicable, maybe just for me sha.

I used to pack spit in my mouth whenever I was in a bus (before I became a teenager though) even though I sit beside the driver where there's ventilation and I can see everything. Later on, the spit thing stopped. I'd then feel like vomiting, I wouldn't feel like pressing my phone or even talking. I'd suddenly feel moody.

I dared not sit in a vehicle with air conditioner. I believe I've been healed now. It's like the car becomes smelly with engine smell...if u like use car freshener or perfume, I'd feel like vomiting.

It's best I eat something while I'm in a moving vehicle. It helps control it. I remember in 2014, I ate beans throughout a particular day. The next day, I went for my admission registration process in Unilag. Thank God my mom was with me. When I entered lagbus, I felt sick again. I thought it's the usual sickness until I told my mom I was gonna vomit. She quickly got a poly bag from her bag(thank God for that). I started vomiting. And this was during Ebola virus cheesy cheesy

Another time I vomited was last year when coronavirus was worse. The Uber driver turned on AC for me. I should've told him to please turn it off and wind down but I didn't wanna seem rude cos I thought he was enjoying it. Omo I vomited o cheesy Just for him not to think I have the virus, I had to tell him I vomited cos of the AC and car movement. He was like he left it on for me na... Everyone is different and not everything you posted up there will work for them.
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by longetivity(m): 10:00pm On Mar 20, 2021
it happens to me even in a fully air conditioned vehicle
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by And9: 10:17pm On Mar 20, 2021
Thattallgirl:
I've had this since I could remember anything, and not everything you posted above is applicable, maybe just for me sha.

I used to pack spit in my mouth whenever I was in a bus (before I became a teenager though) even though I sit beside the driver where there's ventilation and I can see everything. Later on, the spit thing stopped. I'd then feel like vomiting, I wouldn't feel like pressing my phone or even talking. I'd suddenly feel moody.

I dared not sit in a vehicle with air conditioner. I believe I've been healed now. It's like the car becomes smelly with engine smell...if u like use car freshener or perfume, I'd feel like vomiting.

It's best I eat something while I'm in a moving vehicle. It helps control it. I remember in 2014, I ate beans throughout a particular day. The next day, I went for my admission registration process in Unilag. Thank God my mom was with me. When I entered lagbus, I felt sick again. I thought it's the usual sickness until I told my mom I was gonna vomit. She quickly got a poly bag from her bag(thank God for that). I started vomiting. And this was during Ebola virus cheesy cheesy

Another time I vomited was last year when coronavirus was worse. The Uber driver turned on AC for me. I should've told him to please turn it off and wind down but I didn't wanna seem rude cos I thought he was enjoying it. Omo I vomited o cheesy Just for him not to think I have the virus, I had to tell him I vomited cos of the AC and car movement. He was like he left it on for me na... Everyone is different and not everything you posted up there will work for them.
Sorry about your experiences. Well this is expected to be an insight on Motion Sickness hence most people experience this including myself and feel absolutely clueless of its causes.
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by Thattallgirl(f): 10:24pm On Mar 20, 2021
And9:

Sorry about your experiences. Well this is expected to be an insight on Motion Sickness hence most people experience this including myself and feel absolutely clueless of its causes.

Thank you. I get your point. The causes may be right but the solutions? I think it varies in individuals.
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by memories1(f): 1:40am On Mar 21, 2021
This motion sickness matter really puts me off road trips. Once the windows of the vehicle are up and the AC is on, I'll get very nauseous within 30 minutes. I keep a lot of minty sweets and an inhaler with me while on the road, if not I'll throw up.
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by memories1(f): 1:41am On Mar 21, 2021
longetivity:
it happens to me even in a fully air conditioned vehicle

It feels better if you wind down the windows and let natural air in.
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 21, 2021
When i was very much younger, this shit really embarrassed me. But now, if you like pack me like sardine in a not ventilated bus, i don't experience this again. I believe, motion sickness goes on its own as one ages.
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by shawante(m): 9:12am On Apr 20, 2021
memories1:

It feels better if you wind down the windows and let natural air in.
I swear
Re: Why Some People Feel Sick If They Read In A Moving Vehicle. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Apr 20, 2021
I suffered this as a Child and I Think this explains why my Dogs Vomit all over the back seat Whenever I take them for a Ride.

(1) (Reply)

Jigsimur Healthy Herbal 15k / Why You Should Make Plan For Another Possible Lockdown (photos) / 10 Things That Shouldn't Determine Your Self Worth Or Self Esteem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.