Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,143 members, 7,815,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG (18705 Views)

ASUU Demands ₦1 Trillion From FG To Suspend Ongoing Strike / We Have Met All ASUU Demands - Ngige / List Of ASUU Demands As Strike Is Suspended Conditionally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by adenigga(m): 3:07am On Mar 21, 2021
The Federal Government has faulted the fresh notice by the Academic Staff Union of Universities to embark on a fresh strike barely four months after calling off a 10-month industrial action.

The government said any person conceiving a strike after close to one year of downing tools would be doing a disservice to students “because government is a continuum.”

The Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, who stated this in an interview with Sunday PUNCH, said it had been difficult for the government to run the lives of over 200 million people with less than $70m a day in earnings.

He said, “Whoever is conceiving a strike after being on a strike for close to one year is damaging the studentship because government is a continuum. Even if we are not in power today, another government, as the case may be, will be there.

“I have never supported strikes. However, I believe people should press for their demands as responsibly as possible. It is the responsibility of the government to continue to engage them.”

When asked if ASUU should still be patient with the government, Nwajiuba said it depended on the style of the demands.

He said, “It depends on the style of the demands; some of them are what the government can do now, some can be what the government can do later.

“I’m sure you’re aware of the revenue base of the country – 1.5 million barrels are sold. It is difficult to run the lives of over 200 million people with less than $70m a day in earnings. It is amazing that the President has managed to keep the country afloat.”
https://m.punchng.com/Strike-Some-ASUU-demands-cant-be-met-now-says-FG

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by sofeo(m): 3:49am On Mar 21, 2021
But some unnecessary and stupid demands can be met.

We all know these demands.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Mikelarteta(m): 5:38am On Mar 21, 2021
ASUU and Government are collectively mad. Ruining the lives of people for you own selfish reasons.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Tectono: 5:38am On Mar 21, 2021
What is stopping the FG from paying them? Check out my signature to master how you will be making millions of naira from export trade.

13 Likes

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Nobody: 5:40am On Mar 21, 2021
The government said any person conceiving a strike after close to one year of downing tools would be doing a disservice to students “because government is a continuum.”

ASUU (professor, academicians) should cover their faces. YOU KEEP PRODUCING PRODUCTS INFERIOR IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET and still have moral rights to strike because of payments. A country looping in mud because of your ineffectiveness. Whose loss, Government is continuum undecided

12rev:

Wow...ASUU demanding for increased funding of the education system is the one to blame?

All the funds they were given in the past, where are the justifications for it? A failed state, In my final year in Uni before.... A professor actually called another prof of Tomatoes and peppers grin

So many professors of igba and awo yet nothing to show for it, how many professors of engineering, demm we still import gas lighters. Spread that illustration across-the-board undecided

larryops:

Do you read through the lines, why will government go into the agreement government cannot fulfill. Then "YOU KEEP PRODUCING PRODUCTS INFERIOR IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET". Government should fund education properly and then do the needful, set standard, any lecturer that do not meet the standard be fired.
Easier said than done. See, i am a trained teacher and i understand what education should truly look like. Although i trained under same education policy but i assure you that Nigerian education system is the problem. We won't leave here if that style of GO SCHOOL, FIND JOB is still running in our brains. How do you then remove that... Ask those professors of books wey no sabi practicals.

Sima04:

boss I understand u perfectly, but the things is what we are learning in our various unis is the wrong theory. I engineering(my domain), the practical is in the theory. it is the theory that gives rise to the practicals. but the lecturers sef do not know the theory. they just dish out handouts and assignment. example, while in my 300l I did a borrowed cos from elect elect, the man was teaching us bridges from d'sauty bridge to Wheatstone bridge and newton bridge etc. and accompanied with huge formulas one day we para give the man asking him how all these brigades will give man money, baba sef does not know the application areas of the bridge he just said that we aught to know them as engineers. but guess what during my IT I got to know how those bridges can be used to design simple switch mode power supply(laptop and phone chargers), electronic weight measurement sensors etc. in all our faculty of engineering, we have less than 5 design engineers and u hardly see then in school cos dey don't have time they only come to teach serious courses and go no be all these ones dey dey come school everyday come teach engineering law and AI wet no dey get code attached
Se you see am undecided

10 Likes

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Spaxon(f): 5:43am On Mar 21, 2021
But Kidnappers Ransoms can be quickly met abi?

I don't blame the Government..

Quality Education is not their Priority

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by IamYorubanza: 5:43am On Mar 21, 2021
But the honorable bandits demand will always be met handsomely.....what an irony of a supposed nation

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Oneday82: 5:44am On Mar 21, 2021
[quote author=adenigga post=100063493]
https://m.punchng.com/Strike-Some-ASUU-demands-cant-be-met-now-says-FG

The education system in Nigeria is a waste of time. I advise those who care to know to learn a trade or skills. That is the way to go now. After, gather money and find your studies overseas.

Me I give up on Nigeria when Buhari becomes the president. If you know, you know

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Tectono: 5:44am On Mar 21, 2021
Funny people. They can meet the demands of the bandits. Check out my signature if you want to be making millions of naira from export business.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Munamu: 5:48am On Mar 21, 2021
It is a pity. The government using southerners to play the character of snowball in the popular book of "animal farm" written by George Orwell.
It pains ,because of crumbles the truth is no longer told. Anything that involves the poor masses becomes a difficulty.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Nobody: 5:49am On Mar 21, 2021
Spaxon:
But Kidnappers Ransoms can be made abi?

I don't blame the Government..

Quality Education is not their Priority

Blame Nigerians, only Awolowo and likes valued education. Since 99, which Government?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by izywzy: 5:50am On Mar 21, 2021
under Buhari, no demand has been met. all we see is suffering, sorrow, tears and blood.

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Bigdik70inch2(m): 5:53am On Mar 21, 2021
A
Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by ikllbrokehoes(m): 5:53am On Mar 21, 2021
ASUU will strike like thunder then

4 Likes

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by sammysmiles(m): 5:54am On Mar 21, 2021
This government are not serious...

1 Like

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Bigdik70inch2(m): 5:54am On Mar 21, 2021
Then.........why u have to agree to what wouldn't be met bayii??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by WonderManly(m): 5:54am On Mar 21, 2021
Nigeria problem just be like Nigeria President: One is in Aso Rock and the other one is a Bus Conductor in Lagos.
Who knows which one is the real Buhari self

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by karzyharsky(m): 5:54am On Mar 21, 2021
Na only bandits and kidnappers demand can be met

3 Likes

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by salford1: 5:55am On Mar 21, 2021
Some money could be saved by getting rid of the ministers of states (whatever that means). They can take the HOR along with them in cost cutting measures.

5 Likes

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by AFONJACOW(m): 5:57am On Mar 21, 2021
Nigeria is on autopilot with clueless clown ruining the country to zero decimal
Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by salford1: 5:58am On Mar 21, 2021
Drabeey:

ASUU (professor, academicians) should cover their faces. YOU KEEP PRODUCING PRODUCTS INFERIOR IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARKETS and still have moral rights to strike because of payments. A country looping in mud because of your ineffectiveness. Whose loss, Government is continuum undecided
Did you graduate from a Nigerian uni though?
Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by mayskit4luv(m): 6:00am On Mar 21, 2021
But bandits demand can be met abi?
Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by YoungLionken(m): 6:00am On Mar 21, 2021
It's better to come up with the truth than swim in deceit...
Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:01am On Mar 21, 2021
Always at an impasse!

Why is Nwajiuba appealing to sentiments? The school was on strike for one year because the government decided to be irresponsible.

Now same government made a commitment to resolve outstanding issues only to turn around citing challenges to resolving those issues. What would it take to just settle ASUU once and for all? Some of these demands have been a long way coming! All the way from 2009!

I don't blame ASUU! I wholly blame the government! Too irresponsible!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Nobody: 6:05am On Mar 21, 2021
Drabeey:

ASUU (professor, academicians) should cover their faces. YOU KEEP PRODUCING PRODUCTS INFERIOR IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARKETS and still have moral rights to strike because of payments. A country looping in mud because of your ineffectiveness. Whose loss, Government is continuum undecided
Wow...ASUU demanding for increased funding of the education system is the one to blame?

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Nuelito: 6:05am On Mar 21, 2021
The government of this country just dey catch cruise with people's future
Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by Nobody: 6:10am On Mar 21, 2021
Slash your jumbo salaries and allowances.

1 Like

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by wunmi590(m): 6:10am On Mar 21, 2021
Some of their demands can’t be met, but some looting can be met

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG by omoadeleye(m): 6:18am On Mar 21, 2021
But they can meet bandits demand!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of UNILAG/MAU Students Protest With Sprayed Teargas / Oau Pre-degree 2011/2012 Entrance Exams Result Is Out! / 47 First Class Graduates From Delta State Get N5 Million Each

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.