Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) (59110 Views)

Satellite Images Reveals Traffic Jam Caused By Grounded Container Ship In Egypt / How Much Cargo Can The Largest Shipping Container Ship Really Hold? / 10 Biggest And Busiest Markets In Nigeria That Are Saving The Nation From Hunger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by sheffyUTD(m): 11:08am On Mar 26, 2021
Ishilove:

Can you tell me about the quality of MSC's services?

I've never had or heard any negative feedback about them.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Ishilove: 11:52am On Mar 26, 2021
sheffyUTD:

I've never had or heard any negative feedback about them.
That's a surprise...

Okay thanks.

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Rodwave: 1:02pm On Mar 26, 2021
KINGKONG:

This is why

Europe to Asia via normal route takes 23 days (This means it cost the ship owners more money for fuel and also transit time)

Now to cut the journey short, Ship passes through the Suez canal from Europe to Asia in just 11 days (Cutting cost on fuel and transit time) Great cost savings

Now ship owners are ready to pay such amount of money to pass through Suez canal because, they will save times their cost times three

So a bulk carrier pays almost $160,000 USD to pass through the Suez canal

Container ship may even pay more due to its tonnage

Wow. Now I got that.

Please who is collecting the money? A company or the Egyptian government?
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by rudepen(m): 2:01pm On Mar 26, 2021
Joysticks:
How this big ship with heavy loads can float on water beat my imagination.
science
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Rayd502(m): 2:47pm On Mar 26, 2021
Prinznonny:

Evergreen, a Taiwanese shipping company which owns the vessel, says a freak gust of wind blew the ship off course before it became struck after which it lost power and steering.

So how is the captain to be blamed or punished, did he manufacture the wind that blew the ship off course, or is it from his village the wind came from??

"Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement (BSM), the technical manager of Ever Given, said in a statement that the vessel was transiting northbound through the canal with two canal pilots on board, and that initial investigations suggested it “grounded due to strong wind”.

According to the Suez Canal Authority’s official rules of navigation, a ship’s master or captain will be held responsible for any accidents while transiting through the canal.

“Masters are held solely responsible for all damage or accidents of whatever kind resulting from the navigation or handling of their vessels directly or indirectly by day or night,” says the section of the rules of navigation related to pilotage.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/strong-winds-resulted-in-grounding-of-mv-ever-given-crew-safe-101616744307931.html

If you understood my statement well,I used the word "probably" and "could".These are conditional words.

The statement released by the shipping company are just initial suggestions pending when the investigation into the incident has been concluded.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by tobstarizhia(m): 3:34pm On Mar 26, 2021
This calls for SUPERMAN
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Blackdisciple(m): 7:44pm On Mar 26, 2021
DAramis:

grin grin

I understand bro. Don't mind my comment, it was done on a lighter note. Definitely, Captain work for this kind of ship is not easy especially through that narrow channel.

Whoever navigates such, must be a highly trained and disciplined person. Much respect to them. wink

Sure.

I was watching CNN at work place today , they were talking about the matter, and the presenter said about 30% of Global goods passes through that same route just imagine what will happen if that ship stays there for weeks.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by banky3w(m): 11:02pm On Mar 26, 2021
bal4real:
Nice explanation. But why do stones sink into the water when being thrown to the water, instead of floating?... Since a stone is a solid body. And also, why do humans begin to sink once they dive into the water, if they don't know how to swim?
Stone has no air inside it but ships has air in it that’s why it floats. The lower part of a ship is almost empty.
What happens to human when you start taking in water? You sink! If you hold your breath by creating or having air inside you, you float!
This is how best I can explain in simple layman’s term! Lemme know if you want the scientific explanation!

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by DAramis: 12:43am On Mar 27, 2021
Blackdisciple:

Sure.

I was watching CNN at work place today , they were talking about the matter, and the presenter said about 30% of Global goods passes through that same route just imagine what will happen if that ship stays there for weeks.

True, there are plans to divert and re-routes subsequent ships' movement through Africa rather than queuing up. I do believe that, it would be sorted out though don't know how long it will take.

Stay safe.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by kopite04: 3:15am On Mar 27, 2021
That's true.
Watched a video sometime ago, the containers inside the deck is even more than ones you see outside. Cameras make look small. These ships are damn massive. Scary

20,000TEU. The containers you're seeing above deck is nothing compared to the ones below deck.

[/quote]
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by budaatum: 4:59am On Mar 27, 2021
Rick9:
I am wondering why a massive Ship like this would take such a tiny sea route like the suez canal.

Economics of short distance to destination. It's not the first time its been through there.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by bal4real: 8:15am On Mar 27, 2021
Thanks very much for the explanation. I'd like the scientific explanation, if u wouldn't mind. Thanks.
banky3w:

Stone has no air inside it but ships has air in it that’s why it floats. The lower part of a ship is almost empty.
What happens to human when you start taking in water? You sink! If you hold your breath by creating or having air inside you, you float!
This is how best I can explain in simple layman’s term! Lemme know if you want the scientific explanation!
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Hardheolar(m): 9:07am On Mar 27, 2021
fashrola:

But it's one of the busiest in the world..... My last voyage three years ago from Germany to China was a great one (Since it was my first time) and I really wanted to see the renowned Suez canal

It takes just 12 days to transit from Europe to Asia via Suez Canal, it saves fuel and transit time rather than using the western part of Africa to Asia which cost a lot fuel and transit time

To pass here, each shipping company spends close to $170,000 to $200,000 to pass through the Suez canal
never knew they pay that huge sum. I want to believe the sum is less than them passing through western part of Africa.

Btw, which country is that lump sum been paid to?
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Blackdisciple(m): 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2021
DAramis:

True, there are plans to divert and re-routes subsequent ships' movement through Africa rather than queuing up. I do believe that, it would be sorted out though don't know how long it will take.

Stay safe.

Sure...

Thanks
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by luluosas(m): 8:13pm On Mar 27, 2021
Has the ship been released?
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Professorcplus(m): 8:44pm On Mar 27, 2021
merits:

No be Sango,na Obatala.
Lol. Jesus is Lord. Surrender your life to him now or perish in the lake of fire. grin
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by merits(m): 10:39pm On Mar 27, 2021
Professorcplus:

Lol. Jesus is Lord. Surrender your life to him now or perish in the lake of fire. grin
No be only Jesus na Moses.
No be only surrender na give up.
No be only perished na vanished.
No be only fire na furnace.
No be onely lake na pond.
As you wish for yourself.

NONSENSE.
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Rick9(m): 3:18am On Mar 28, 2021
budaatum:

Economics of short distance to destination. It's not the first time its been through there.

indeed
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Professorcplus(m): 6:22am On Mar 28, 2021
merits:

No be only Jesus na Moses.
No be only surrender na give up.
No be only perished na vanished.
No be only fire na furnace.
No be onely lake na pond.
As you wish for yourself.

NONSENSE.
Lol u get time Sha... Cruise too much I don tire jare angry
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by PurestBoy(m): 10:21pm On Mar 30, 2021
Badgers14:

The ship was traveling from China to Netherlands.

So na Dutch people get those 20,000 containers? What's their population sef?
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by PurestBoy(m): 10:26pm On Mar 30, 2021
Lordave:
Bt why human beings no dey flow for water, unless they learn to?

Abi oo, most animals float in water but we humans have to learn how to float. Upon all the things bothering me, learning to swim is the last thing on my mind
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Badgers14: 1:42am On Mar 31, 2021
PurestBoy:

So na Dutch people get those 20,000 containers? What's their population sef?

Maybe some of those containers are going to Timbuktu who knows..
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by wealthtrak: 12:43am On Feb 18, 2022
budaatum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZTOtTcCs6U
It sure was a massive blockade
on a major international shipping route.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 5 Reasons Buhari Banned Bitcoin - Dr Kemi Olunloyo / Dangote Refinery: The Making Of Africa's Biggest Private Refinery - Photos / South African Student That Squandered N392m Accidentally Found In Her Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.