Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,162 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators (22689 Views)

Beware, I Got Fake New Naira Notes From POS Operators - Man Cries Out (Video) / Police Arrest Man Who Uses Charms To Defraud POS Operators (Photo) / Armed Robber Who Terrorizes POS Operators Shot Dead In Imo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by naijaamebo: 8:39pm On Mar 26, 2021
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has warned operators of Mobile Money and Banks Agents otherwise known as POS operators against illegal cash transactions.

The Commission’s Zonal Head in Sokoto CDS Bawa Usman Kaltungo gave the warning March 25, 2020 at a meeting with the Sokoto Chapter of Mobile Money and Banks Agents Association, (MMBA) Sokoto State Chapter in his office.

He express concern at the high rate of mobile money fraud in the zone, and called on the association to join hands in the fight against money laundering and electronic transaction fraud.

“The EFCC is ready to deal with individuals, groups and organizations that conspire with some bad eggs among us to perpetrate the act of illegal transactions and money laundering,” he said.

Kaltungo further advised POS operators in Sokoto to keep record of their transactions and identity of their customers, to curb illegal financial transaction and money laundering in Nigeria.

“Most POS don’t have identity of those withdrawing or sending money from them. That is contravention of the Money Laundering Act. We have to salvage this country but we can’t do that alone.” he said.

While encouraging members of the association to comply with all provisions of the Money Laundering Act, Kaltungo warned that the EFCC won’t hesitate to clamp down on violators.

However, the chairman of the Association Abubakar Atiku, while commending the sensitization meeting, assured that his members are law abiding and ready to comply with all extant laws, regulating monetary transactions in Nigeria.

https://www.efccnigeria.org/efcc/news/6669-efcc-warns-pos-operators-against-illegal-transaction

5 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Jimalicoco(m): 9:02pm On Mar 26, 2021
OK na

1 Like

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by longetivity(m): 9:12pm On Mar 26, 2021
Nice one
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Bvlgari: 3:38am On Mar 27, 2021
very good...but a quick question...how would they know a fraudulent transaction? like how would they know a transaction they are about to carry out is fraudulent or should they just start profiling all their customers?

65 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by FalseProphet1(m): 4:29am On Mar 27, 2021
I see confusion, I see innocent people being arrested, I see people avoiding using POS due to fear of being branded a criminal, I see long and frustrating queues on various ATM stands, I see people resorting to using "Kolo" and other traditional means so save and withdraw their money. This I have seen.

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Oshokomole36(m): 4:30am On Mar 27, 2021
No b all transactions dey fraudulent and moreover, what if the customer present fake names or fake identity. U force d customer and he leave ur shop go another place go do d transaction, abeg who loss? Nothing fit work for this confuse country o.

No joy for this matter at all

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by oluwamykel(m): 4:30am On Mar 27, 2021
Efcc warns Typical Nigerian government, instead of giving them knowledge and financial empowerment to tackle such, na warn them dey warn...

Warning kee u dia.

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by captianfreeman(m): 4:30am On Mar 27, 2021
Ok
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Prussian: 4:30am On Mar 27, 2021
Bvlgari:
very good...but a quick question...how would they know a fraudulent transaction? like how would they know a transaction they are about to carry out is fraudulent or should they just start profiling all their customers?

Forget long story, ask them how their former Chairman ended up and why they didn't investigate him.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by signature2012(m): 4:30am On Mar 27, 2021
Well said.
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by aBrokeRichDude: 4:30am On Mar 27, 2021
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Bluffly: 4:34am On Mar 27, 2021
Bvlgari:
The answer is have a structure that prevents that. Simply look for a means to ask for identity from customers to prevent fraud.

4 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 4:37am On Mar 27, 2021
Before the cock come home to roost
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by cardoctor(m): 4:42am On Mar 27, 2021
I'm sure they r all telling EFCC to shatrrrrappp.
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Starseed(m): 4:53am On Mar 27, 2021
Chetup dia. What of ur Ex boss that laundered money nko. Warning oshi

4 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by adesegun121(m): 4:59am On Mar 27, 2021
Ok
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Ishilove: 5:17am On Mar 27, 2021
I don't want to use my ears to hear about these useless EFCC people. Criminals

5 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Nobody: 5:19am On Mar 27, 2021
Long Story...
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by zolajpower: 5:21am On Mar 27, 2021
grin
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by joelag: 5:23am On Mar 27, 2021
Dead on arrival, even in western countries people still uses fake documents to send and receive funds.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Hugomexis(m): 5:24am On Mar 27, 2021
One foolish POS guy almost scammed me of 300k last month but I let am know say agu anaghi eri agu

7 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Pavore9: 5:37am On Mar 27, 2021
Hugomexis:
One foolish POS guy almost scammed me of 300k last month but I let am know say agu anaghi eri agu

How did he do it, are you not the one inputting the PIN?

5 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Branzy(m): 5:38am On Mar 27, 2021
This EFCC won't clampdown on betting company which they use as medium to steal people money. How can a pos operator know a fraudulent transaction

4 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by iamyemiakins(m): 6:05am On Mar 27, 2021
FalseProphet1:
I see confusion, I see innocent people being arrested, I see people avoiding using POS due to fear of being branded a criminal, I see long and frustrating queues on various ATM stands, I see people resorting to using "Kolo" and other traditional means so save and withdraw their money. This I have seen.
This FalseProphet sef!

3 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by TinubuGoQuench(f): 6:12am On Mar 27, 2021
EFCC is useless!
Very useless!!!

4 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by rookidmart: 6:27am On Mar 27, 2021
Bvlgari:
Good questions.
Fraudulent transactions = obviously fraudulent transactions that you know are not legit.
Eg, a friend of yours or whoever at all, by whatever means finds or clones a card, and comes to you to withdraw (or "cash out" like the young ones say) from the account, when you clearly know that said friend is not the owner of the card and it was obtained illegally.
Also as a POS operator you're not supposed to record details of a customer's card, or clone the card, so you can make unauthorised withdrawals from their account.

To answer your question, yes, by law from the central bank, and rules from the bank, POS operators are actually meant to do KYC for customers (I think there are different levels for different transaction types and amounts) before letting them use your POS. So in case you later find out the transaction you did was fraudulent, and you have nothing to show the police or bank when they're looking for the person who did the unauthorised transactions, you will not be held liable.

1 Like

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Toosure70: 6:34am On Mar 27, 2021
No sense in this bro.
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Duplexxx: 6:37am On Mar 27, 2021
EFCC take it easy
Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by SpaceAngel: 6:50am On Mar 27, 2021
If POS operators are those chaps that stay by road side and people pay some amount to withdraw money then it is not possible as they are I'll equipped to handle such. How can they document transaction details with info of clients? On what will they do that. Some are not even educated.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid Illegal POS Transactions – EFCC Warn POS Operators by Lincoln275(m): 6:55am On Mar 27, 2021
Nonsense Government

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ghanaian Police Officer Caught On Camera Negotiating A Bribe With Criminals / LASTMA Arrests 3 Notorious 'One Chance' Robbers, Recover Operation Vehicle / Nigerian Man Wants EFCC To Arrest A Bitcoin Seller Who Duped Him (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.