Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,277 members, 7,826,078 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria (13602 Views)

Can Someone Help With This Python Problems / Tips On Solving Programming Problems / Please Help Me Solve This MATLAB Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by chyzoo4u(m): 4:28pm On Apr 12, 2021
SegFault:

Explain, I hear this word a lot but no one has really explained it.

A niche in the sense, what area do you want to focus on? Knowing C, C++, and C# to me means you're working on Microsoft platforms. Knowing C and C++ mainly means you can code for microcontroller (hardware based programs), while C# is for software.

You also work with HTML, CSS, bootstrap and js, this means you're into front end web development as well. C#, js, and C++ is also for backend web development.

You can see it's like you're just moving everywhere. Frontend web development is a niche, backend is a niche, standalone development with C# is a niche, machine language (C) is a niche. Even C# can be used for mobile app development.

If you can handle all of them effectively, then keep it up, if not, narrow down a bit. But if you ask me, continue bro... Learn other jv frameworks like vue et al

2 Likes

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by bigbauer(m): 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
You forgot horrible internet speed. I lost a job of 1.6 million naira a month because of the rubbish Internet speed in Nigeria it pains me everyday because even though I earn well relatively I don't still make up to half of that. So painful. angry

get a phone that allows you aggregate your data connection(browse with both sms at once) that way you can use say mtn and Airtel at once whenever you have a serious gig to do
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by EducationNG: 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I started coding at 24 years. I got my first job after 5 months in Nigeria here with an apartment in VGC. I have less than a year of professional experience and I earn very well. Before I became a programmer I was a mechanic/auto parts trader and I could be making max of 50k in a month with 500k to 700k in revenue when all is settled. I was always broke, dirty, smelly and frustrated.

Hi! Did you state your location as Nigeria on the CV you use in applying for remote jobs?

Sometimes I wonder if that has any effect in their decision to respond or not.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:59pm On Apr 12, 2021
bigbauer:

get a phone that allows you aggregate your data connection(browse with both sms at once) that way you can use say mtn and Airtel at once whenever you have a serious gig to do
They are both useless. I have had all networks fail during an interview before. My wifi and both mobile networks you listed all went down the same time.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:00pm On Apr 12, 2021
EducationNG:

Hi! Did you state your location as Nigeria on the CV you use in applying for remote jobs?

Sometimes I wonder if that has any effect in their decision to respond or not.
Honestly no one in tech cares where you are from honestly provided you can deliver. The key to good remote jobs especially as a beginner is learning what people dont know.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Springboot: 5:21pm On Apr 12, 2021
SegFault:

I'm a pro in C and C# though c#'s new features are making my skills a bit outdated, and I hate MVC like die, I'm well versed in C++, html, css and javascript plus bootstrap too, I fucking love bootstrap like die, before the laptop I was using got taken by the owner I was messing with operating system development and was working on a small compiler (llvm was going to do the dirty job of assembly code translation)

You call your self a pro in C and C# so good that you even delved into operating system development, a thing programmers of 30years haven't done, you don't have a laptop of your own, meaning you haven't made or developed any software that is marketable. Guy you need to focus, that's what you lack, however if you are a pro as you claim, show me one out of the world application you have developed, if it's good, I promise, I'll buy you a laptop not more than 100k, all evidence will be posted here.

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Karleb(m): 5:35pm On Apr 12, 2021
Springboot:

You call your self a pro in C and C# so good that you even delved into operating system development, a thing programmers of 30years haven't done, you don't have a laptop of your own, meaning you haven't made or developed any software that is marketable. Guy you need to focus, that's what you lack, however if you are a pro as you claim, show me one out of the world application you have developed, if it's good, I promise, I'll buy you a laptop not more than 100k, all evidence will be posted here.

Commenting for a better reach.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by bigbauer(m): 5:39pm On Apr 12, 2021
There are other broadband ISPs asides mtn, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile. There are ISPs that offr truly unlimited monthly or annually billed internet access, you only get to pay for the speed you want. Say 5Mbs/3Mbs or 10mbs/7Mbs that's download and upload speeds respectively.

tensazangetsu20:

They are both useless. I have had all networks fail during an interview before. My wifi and both mobile networks you listed all went down the same time.

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Asour: 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2021
Chrismentor3:
You fail to include money for data to access premium tutorials or money to enroll in learning centers

To be fair some of the Ops claims are valid, Others, Not so much.

What do I mean?

Electricity: I would think there are laptop Power banks that last for 8+hrs when power supply is out.

Pay for tutorial: Don't really need to pay.
Great resources like:

freecodecamp.org
Runestone academy
Dan bader - Learn python.
Data flair etc.
Free pdf books also exist all over the internet.

Type "*Subject matter *" & pdf on google to choose from a wide range of resources.
Youtube is a massive treasure.

People like Derek banana, Caleb Curry, Mosh Hammedani, Tranversy media, WiseOwl etc are democratizing learning daily.

Internet Access - I don't move around Lagos much but I have heard that Wifi (hotspots) are no longer luxuries as they use to be - Higher institutions, State Library, private Hubs, etc.

Laptop - No solution here as you have to buy.

Time - Focus & drive seem to me as the most important factors for learning here. As well as having a nitche.

Data Engineers, Advanced Data Analysts(AKA Data scientists), Cloud architects, DBAs & Information systems Architects are in demand these days in the enterprise space. I don't know much about web development but it seems to me that competition there is a little tough for a newbie to break into.

If your skills really measure up though, you should be gunning for remote jobs through stack overflow, Indeed & Crossover rather than the lower end Fiverr alone.

God help us.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 12, 2021
Springboot:

This was what I was working on bedfore my cousin took his laptop and the difficulty of os development depends on how good you want it to be not forgetting that you must build a graphics driver for different graphics cards of which many have proprietary isas, Lastly most applications of today can't be built using c most especially web apps unless you want to write a back-end library (there are back-end libraries out there but development has been discontinued on most). So you see my stupid life, I really had a lack of aim and focus sometime ago but when I finally got back from the village I had this drive to increase my c# skills. Well it's too late just have to make do with what I have left.

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by alimiadedayo1: 5:59pm On Apr 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
You forgot horrible internet speed. I lost a job of 1.6 million naira a month because of the rubbish Internet speed in Nigeria it pains me everyday because even though I earn well relatively I don't still make up to half of that. So painful. angry
Sorry bro which job role is that in this country
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 12, 2021
chyzoo4u:

A niche in the sense, what area do you want to focus on? Knowing C, C++, and C# to me means you're working on Microsoft platforms. Knowing C and C++ mainly means you can code for microcontroller (hardware based programs), while C# is for software.

You also work with HTML, CSS, bootstrap and js, this means you're into front end web development as well. C#, js, and C++ is also for backend web development.

You can see it's like you're just moving everywhere. Frontend web development is a niche, backend is a niche, standalone development with C# is a niche, machine language (C) is a niche. Even C# can be used for mobile app development.

If you can handle all of them effectively, then keep it up, if not, narrow down a bit. But if you ask me, continue bro... Learn other jv frameworks like vue et al
OK, then I'd say I'm into front end web development, application development, was into gameplay programming (unity) but my cousin's laptop couldn't handle it, I've been into a lot of things but don't know how to put it into a certain category.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:03pm On Apr 12, 2021
alimiadedayo1:

Sorry bro which job role is that in this country
It's not a Nigerian job. You have to be like a software architect to get such pay in Nigeria.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Adasun(m): 6:08pm On Apr 12, 2021
my own problem is how to start.don't even know what to do
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by JIREN01: 6:19pm On Apr 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Haaaaw shocked
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by chyzoo4u(m): 6:28pm On Apr 12, 2021
SegFault:

OK, then I'd say I'm into front end web development, application development, was into gameplay programming (unity) but my cousin's laptop couldn't handle it, I've been into a lot of things but don't know how to put it into a certain category.

You're even into unity grin grin

Just be learning all of them, none is a waste. One day you'll combine all to provide a solution. React native is selling well now, you can get into it easily since you're already into js
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Martialb1(m): 7:01pm On Apr 12, 2021
SegFault:
What about funds to buy laptop, I'm just tired of this programming horseshit, going back to writing.

Nigga abeg no try am. No b good idea ooh, stick to programming like say dem use super glue
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Jonathan39: 7:05pm On Apr 12, 2021
If you are as good as you claim, then acquiring a new laptop won't be a problem to you.
SegFault:

I'm a pro in C and C# though c#'s new features are making my skills a bit outdated, and I hate MVC like die, I'm well versed in C++, html, css and javascript plus bootstrap too, I fucking love bootstrap like die, before the laptop I was using got taken by the owner I was messing with operating system development and was working on a small compiler (llvm was going to do the dirty job of assembly code translation)
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by dam4sam: 7:16pm On Apr 12, 2021
My 11yr old Son loves coding-die.
He has mastered Phyton, moved on to Java Scripts, C# and Programming in 3D , all self taught.
Now he is pressurising me to buy him a 3D Printer and a high Spec Laptop that costs almost $7,000.
Boy does not know that Kontiri is still hard and Pandemic is not yet gone. grin
Na posting l just dey post the guy since January but God-willing, if l can, l will surprise him on his 12th Birthday with both.

The crazy dude is always talking about how he will be richer than Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos (My fear is that he does not become one of those crazy nerds or have brain problem, he talks too much about things l have not even heard of! injecting people with nanobots to unleash their memory power, something like' Metheskellar' Machine shocked How he wants to harness electric field power around Mars and he would inject me with some thing and l would live for a thousand years! I told him l dont want to live more than hundred, he can keep his invention grin bla bla bla ).

Sometimes, l fear he is going bunkers (How can an 11yr old be sleeping by 2am and sometimes by 6am he is awake because he has to dress for school (JSS1), but Thank God, l have other children who are more "normal" Children.
I do block his internet and seize his electronics (phone and Laptops) at times, to force him to rest, before he falls sick and die on me. grin

Do any adult and experienced Developer and programmer here go through this kind of phase or should l be very worried about his mental state?
He hates playing with his age mates but would rather want to involve in adult discussions or hang-out with them and most time, na to lecture them or some scientific, futuristic thing on is mind. shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:43pm On Apr 12, 2021
dam4sam:
He has mastered Phyton, moved on to Java Scripts, C# and Programming in 3D , all self taught.
Now he is pressurising me to buy him a 3D Printer and a high Spec Laptop that costs almost $7,000.
Na posting l just dey post the guy since January but God-willing, if l can, l will surprise him on his 12th Birthday with both.

The crazy dude is always talking about how he will be richer than Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos (My fear is that he does not become one of those crazy nerds or have brain problem, he talks too much about things l have not even heard of! injecting people with nanobots to unleash their memory power, something like' Metheskellar' Machine shocked How he wants to harness electric field power around Mars and he would inject me with some thing and l would live for a thousand years! I told him l dont want to live more than hundred, he can keep his invention grin bla bla bla ).

Sometimes, l fear he is going bunkers (How can an 11yr old be sleeping by 2am and sometimes by 6am he is awake because he has to dress for school (JSS1), but Thank God, l have other children who are more "normal" Children.
I do block his internet and seize his electronics (phone and Laptops) at times, to force him to rest, before he falls sick and die on me. grin

Do any adult and experienced Developer and programmer here go through this kind of phase or should l be very worried about his mental state?
He hates playing with his age mates but would rather want to involve in adult discussions or hang-out with them and most time, na to lecture them or some scientific, futuristic thing on is mind. shocked
Now that he is interested feed his interest. If you can afford it get a maths tutor to take him on mathematics way above his level. Introduce him to C++ then let him start to learn data structures and algorithms and get him into competitive programming. He would meet a lot of peers of his age who are crazy doing that. There's also a lot of competitions doing that and offering massive cash prices.

Feed his interest.

7 Likes

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Ajibade123(m): 8:00pm On Apr 12, 2021
dam4sam:

mehn your son might just become the best Zuckerburg or bill gate
mind you he is not crazy at all
in developed countries there are lot like him of his age
please don't let his talent die

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by dam4sam: 8:13pm On Apr 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Now that he is interested feed his interest. If you can afford it get a maths tutor to take him on mathematics way above his level. Introduce him to C++ then let him start to learn data structures and algorithms and get him into competitive programming. He would meet a lot of peers of his age who are crazy doing that. There's also a lot of competitions doing that and offering massive cash prices.

Feed his interest.

I think he is too young for what he is trying to accomplish.
I like him but l will prefer he pays more attention to his School Class Work.
There is a competition for his time, (Homework and HouseWork) with the amount of time he wants to be spending on the Computer.
His Mathematics is average though l can see he has the potential, if he gets a good Tutor.
I am thinking he is just greedy (loves to make money too much, for my liking, he must have taken after his Mother grin) at an early age and he should focus on having A-grades in his School.)
I just want him to be a normal kid, grow up like his elder siblings and little by little, enter University and move on in Life.

I appreciate your words of encouragement and l think you would make a good mentor to someone, sometime.
Keep it up.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by ThiagoKid(m): 8:20pm On Apr 12, 2021
SegFault:

Explain, I hear this word a lot but no one has really explained it.
niche is your area of specialization.
You mentioned something about writing, howfar?
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by dam4sam: 8:23pm On Apr 12, 2021
Ajibade123:

mehn your son might just become the best Zuckerburg or bill gate
mind you he is not crazy at all
in developed countries there are lot like him of his age
please don't let his talent die

Naaah, l dont want him to be that kind of person.
I just want him to be a nice adult, with just about enough money to feed his wife and children and have time to come and say Hello to his Pappa in old age. Play Computer games and things like that
I dont envy all those people at all, despite their fame and money.
I prefer a quiet life, a family life, not all those glitter of public eye that those people are exposed to on a daily basis,
Do you know how many people swear for Bill gates in one day, especially as regards this Vaccine and body Implant suspicion?
That is what comes with fame and money.
I dont even know why an 11yr old will be talking in Billions or comparing himself to Billionaire, instead of thinking about how he will ride the Bike l bought for him (Bike that some other children are praying to get, is lying there unused. angry )

BTW, it is not his talent, he may have been watching too much SCIFI Movies, l think he should be watching more of Children programs and Cartoons. Maybe he just get the thrill of knowing he can do what others his age cant do. I dont consider that a talent. Talent is what you are born with, like you are a genius in it.

But l appreciate you, that you think he is somebody or can become somebody that popular. grin
I just want a normal son, not some crazy dude that will eventually work for a Govt that build weapons of destruction or change how mankind was created by God.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Ajibade123(m): 8:39pm On Apr 12, 2021
dam4sam:

I just want him to be a nice adult, with just about enough money to feed his wife and children and have time to come and say Hello to his Pappa in old age. Play Computer games and things like that
I prefer a quiet life, a family life, not all those glitter of public eye that those people are exposed to on a daily basis,
Do you know how many people swear for Bill gates in one day, especially as regards this Vaccine and body Implant suspicion?
I dont even know why an 11yr old will be talking in Billions or comparing himself to Billionaire, instead of thinking about how he will ride the Bike l bought for him (Bike that some other children are praying to get, is lying there unused. angry )

BTW, it is not his talent, he may have been watching too much SCIFI Movies, l think he should be watching more of Children programs and Cartoons. Maybe he just get the thrill of knowing he can do what others his age cant do. I dont consider that a talent. Talent is what you are born with, like you are a genius in it.

But l appreciate you, that you think he is somebody or can become somebody that popular. grin
I just want a normal son, not some crazy dude that will eventually work for a Govt that build weapons of destruction or change how mankind was created by God.
lol
what you want is as a result of what you have observed personally like the way you have seen people cursed Bill gate

what your son want is different from what you want because that is what he also observed personally
your son doesn't necessary have to be like you or what you want but you are the father he is in your hands what ever he turns out to is up to you but please guide him don't let him go astray

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Karleb(m): 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2021
dam4sam:

cool

You are one of the best Dads around. Don't forget that.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Richthekid: 9:06pm On Apr 12, 2021
Really
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Albertone(m): 9:44pm On Apr 12, 2021
Rolexjerry:

Are u sure you are well-versed in all these languages? You even mentioned JavaScript.
Na so one guy dey boast for my area, I gave him a small homework on extending classes and overriding methods in JS. He failed woefully. Bros calm down ooo

You quoted the wrong person.

But then,you keep on learning js.You can't learn all in a day.You happen to know more than that guy doesn't mean he doesn't know js,he has just not gotten to your level of knowledge

1 Like

Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Silverpurple: 10:18pm On Apr 12, 2021
Pvibe007:

This is why Nigerians don’t progress,they wanna use lil knowledge to showoff.
If this rubbish u posted doesn’t solve a problem then it’s rubbish. This isn’t how to learn or progress.
What project have u done ? I mean real world project and not some silly Todo list bullshit

Haaaa, show-off ke? How is coding challenge show-off my brother/sister.

Looks like you are having a bad day...Drink some water.

Also, closure is a pretty interesting topic in JS. The team from Facebook built React Hooks using closure.

No pressure here, just having some fun...
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by buragoz: 10:19pm On Apr 12, 2021
chyzoo4u:

Have you tried changing your computer or your internet provider? I believe that this is where the problem hides. I know that this might me quite challenging, but I am almost 100% sure that there are always good alternatives to almost everything. https://thecursedcrusade.com/best-laptop-for-electrical-engineering-students/ check out here a computer according to your needs. Don't pay attention that the top is for students, I bet you can use one of these laptops as well. And after you choose one or 2 computers, try to find them as second hand computers. I think this will help you a little bit.
Re: Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria by Silverpurple: 10:27pm On Apr 12, 2021
Karleb:

Bro I'm concerned that you declare a function name with let.

Anyway, post the code on carbon.now.sh and post either the link or the picture here, let's analyze.

Thank you for indulging me. A funny person somewhere above. Got really pissed, he was practically asking for my CV for posting a coding challenge...lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Join The Andela Learning Community; Powered By Microsoft / Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp / This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.