Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar (29514 Views)

Two Arrested For Gang-Raping Ogun 19-Year-Old Girl & Filming Her Nude / Mother Of Two Arrested For Kidnapping In Niger, Says I’m A Disgrace To Womanhood / Two arrested for stealing female pant In Lagos, strike a pose with it (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by AprokoGirl: 6:43am On Apr 13, 2021
The Rivers State Government has intercepted a truckload of suspected substandard animal hide, popularly called ponmo, in Onne, Eleme Local Government Area of the state, even as two persons accompanying the truck were arrested.

The Commissioner for Agriculture, Dr Fred Kpakol, who confirmed the incident while speaking to journalists on Port Harcourt, said the import papers showed that the seized product came into the country from Madagascar.

Kpakol said the containerised truck, which conveyed the product, came through the Onne Port, adding that it was seized and taken to the police area command in Eleme for further investigation.

The commissioner explained that the arrest followed a tip-off and the ministry quickly swung into action with the help of the police, adding that the state police command would conduct a full-scale investigation into the incident.

Kpakol stated, “We got a tip-off that some canda meat that was imported found its way into the state. We went in and found out that it had come in from the Onne Port.

“It’s was a container full of canda meat. We were able to intercept it and took it to the area command. When it was opened, it was discovered that it was adulterated and stinking.

“From the import paper, we found out that it came in from Madagascar.”

Meanwhile, the Area Police Command said it had begun investigation into the incident.

The Police Area Commander, Martins Nwogu, stated that those arrested with the truck claimed that the consignment was owned by a man simply known as Alhaji and contained raw materials for the making shoes and bags.

When contacted, the police spokesman for the state, Nnamdi Omoni, said the command had yet to get the report, but promised to contact the Eleme Area Command and get back to our correspondent.

As of the time of filing this report, he had yet to get back to our correspondent.

https://punchng.com/two-arrested-in-rivers-with-substandard-ponmo-from-madagascar/

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Nobody: 6:46am On Apr 13, 2021
Oh
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Zico5(m): 6:54am On Apr 13, 2021
There can never be peace until the whole of the south boycott beef products from the North. Forget Madagascar they mentioned Hausa/Fulani are planning underground to make sure they succeed in mauling the south cos they know 2023 won't be business as usual. I stumbled on group Facebook page from the North last week where they were congratulating the new chairman for women development from the North. In fact, these people are not willing to let the power go despite spending 8 unproductive years ruling. It's time for south to put up the thinking cap and reason about the way forward. Things can't continue this way. But our greedy politicians won't allow this and won't take note of these situations. Obaseki is getting to know the truth now.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by BruncleZuma: 6:54am On Apr 13, 2021
grin grin grin grin

Ladies and gentlemen, we dey import kpomo too

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by anochuko01(m): 6:54am On Apr 13, 2021
In
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by jabberjawz: 6:55am On Apr 13, 2021
Na wa....import Kpómó of all things importable....... cry

8 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 13, 2021
So fake ponmo don dey smiley

5 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Proflere: 6:56am On Apr 13, 2021
Wait, are we importing ponmo again?

It is finished!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:56am On Apr 13, 2021
They were arrested simply because they imported it and did not roger.

Most kpomo in Nigeria are more substandard. If you see kpomo prepared by mummy Bose, our yard woman you will hate kpomo for life. Funny thing is that after cooking with it, the sweetness no be here.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by smithmoi: 6:56am On Apr 13, 2021
I tell people, never buy street side pomo, go to slaughter, tell them you need..there and then they would cut from the cow skin and roast for you.. i buy bulk meat for my house, and the skin is roasted as pomo

39 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by BigDan69: 6:56am On Apr 13, 2021
Nawa
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Venlony: 6:56am On Apr 13, 2021
Madagascar ponmo.

3 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by kareemkamil(m): 6:57am On Apr 13, 2021
Na wa oooo
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Akasammyoka: 6:58am On Apr 13, 2021
which one is substandard ponmo again. we all know cow hides stinks, and not all are edible and the importer told you it is for leather making. why all this drama again bikonu

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Jackpat(m): 6:58am On Apr 13, 2021
We still dey import ponmo again....chai, God who we offend
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by SmartPolician: 6:58am On Apr 13, 2021
The Rivers State Government has intercepted a truckload of suspected substandard animal hide, popularly called ponmo, in Onne, Eleme Local Government Area of the state, even as two persons accompanying the truck were arrested.

People commonly use Canda in South South and South East. Ponmo is commonly used in South West. It's apparent the writer doesn't live in the region. Even the Rivers State commissioner called it Canda.

11 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Alejoas(m): 6:58am On Apr 13, 2021
I cannot say what is on my mind grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by MarveworldG: 6:58am On Apr 13, 2021
Substandard?
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by blackbone989(m): 6:59am On Apr 13, 2021
Am an importer.
So what do u import?
I import kanda popularly know as kpomo

4 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by 1Alex: 6:59am On Apr 13, 2021
Substandard ponmo

9 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by flemsy15(m): 6:59am On Apr 13, 2021
If it was imported for making leather products, I don't see anything wrong with it. But if it was imported for human consumption, I understand it should not be stinking but saying it was adulterated got me confused.
Is it that it too soft , too hard, too thin or too thick

8 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by RichDad1(m): 6:59am On Apr 13, 2021
Jackpat:
We still dey import pomon again....chai, God who we offend
The usual suspects when it comes to substandard products.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by BruncleZuma: 6:59am On Apr 13, 2021
RichDad1:

Yes. Your greedy brothers that will trade human lives over profits.
I didn't know my kinsmen have left fishing for importation

2 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by driand(m): 7:01am On Apr 13, 2021
Substandard ponmo grin grin grin
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Nobody: 7:01am On Apr 13, 2021
Fear who no fear flatin0s......I give up on this people matter.

BMC boys....which way grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Offpoint1: 7:02am On Apr 13, 2021
Abeg o, make dey no play reach ponmo side o.... Na last thing we dey give me joy for this country be that o

1 Like

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Komu1048(m): 7:02am On Apr 13, 2021
If we can import Jubrin from Sudan and give him our number one position. Na ordinary ponmo una come dey disturb my sleep with? Abeeeeegi

6 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by flames01: 7:02am On Apr 13, 2021
So, how did they know it is substandard?

What laboratory test confirmed it to be substandard?

2 Likes

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Harrykn: 7:03am On Apr 13, 2021
Oo morning, ponmo importation in Nigeria again!
Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Minjim: 7:03am On Apr 13, 2021
Nothing our brothers from the East will not import.
But we have to ask who let them bring it in.

I don't even like eating ponmo, I don't know why you people eat it.
It has not nutritional value.
Govt should ban eating of ponmo

1 Like

Re: Two Arrested In Rivers With Substandard Ponmo From Madagascar by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 13, 2021
For those eating Ponmo not me....

I don't even look at it let alone wasting my money on such

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Female Pharmacist Kidnapped At Owo (Picture ) / NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine Worth ₦8 Billion, Arrests Suspect At Lagos Airport / Boko Haram Leader Shekau Injured In Air Strike – Reports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.