Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,551 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. (30416 Views)

Pete Edochie Celebrates His 74th Birthday Today (photos) / King Sunny Ade Celebrates His 74th Birthday Today / Idowu Phillips (Iya Rainbow) Celebrates Her 74th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by naptu2: 3:51am On Apr 14, 2021
King (Dr.) Chief Oliver De Coque (1947-2008)

Oliver Sunday Akanite was a Nigerian guitarist and one of Africa's most prolific recording artists.

Birth name: Oliver Sunday Akanite

Born: April 14, 1947

Origin: Ezinifite, Nnewi South, Anambra State.

Died: June 20, 2008 (aged 61)

Genres: Igbo highlife

Occupation(s): Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Lead Guitarist

Years active: 1965–2008

Labels: Olumo Records Nigeria Limited

Early life and career

Since releasing his debut album Messiah Messiah in 1977, Coque had recorded no fewer than 93 albums in his homeland. His dance-inspiring "Ogene" style of Nigerian high life, which blends modern high life and traditional Igbo music, has produced such hits as "People's Club of Nigeria",“nempi social club”, "Biri Ka Mbiri," "Ana Enwe," "Nnukwu Mmanwu," and "Identity," which remained on Radio Nigeria 2's Top Ten throughout most of 1981.

Playing music since the age of 11, Coque was taught to play the guitar by Piccolo, a Congolese guitarist living in Nigeria. Serving an apprenticeship with juju stars Sunny Agaga and Jacob Oluwale, he was a star by his late teens. Oliver is also considered as the most flamboyant Igbo musician. Attracting international attention with a London performance in 1973, he played on Prince Nico Mbarga's album Sweet Mother four years later. Coque was often backed by his brother Eugene's Igede International Band. Oliver's sons Edu de Coque, Safin de Coque and Solar de Coque are also musicians. He died at the age of 61 in 2008. Oliver de coque married four wives and he is a father of twelve children.

Later life and death.

Oliver de coque died on 20 june 2008.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_De_Coque

Here is the Google doodle.

62 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by naptu2: 3:51am On Apr 14, 2021
My favourite song by Oliver de Coque is undoubtedly Identity.

naptu2:
Phenomenal guitar playing, with wisdom filled lyrics.

Oliver De Coque - Identity (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_gG1A_7M6U

naptu2:
Another reading from the book of wisdom. I have posted the audio from the album many times, so this time I'm going to post a video of a live performance.

Oliver de Coque - Identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnyFVK_Ag0

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by inoki247: 4:43am On Apr 14, 2021
ok
Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by Sleyanya1(m): 4:44am On Apr 14, 2021
smiley

I really enjoyed his music and sound.
Growing up, my dad would be passionately explaining the lyrics to me smiley

Rest on Legend.

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by PowerOfPrayer: 4:44am On Apr 14, 2021
grin

8 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by AllenSpencer: 4:44am On Apr 14, 2021

13 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by Nobody: 4:45am On Apr 14, 2021
Sman anthem composer

Funfact. That doodle only shows in Africa...if possible Nigeria. I don't know about other countries but in Yankee E no dey show. Na another thing dey show. Google just dey make una happy . The day I knew this fact na that day I realise say them dey use us catch Cruise

110 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by lkillbrokehoes: 4:46am On Apr 14, 2021
Truly a legend forever, even in death

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by The5DME(m): 4:46am On Apr 14, 2021
Good

2 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by Mokason288(m): 4:46am On Apr 14, 2021
IGBO AMAKA

RIP SIR

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

8 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by The5DME(m): 4:47am On Apr 14, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
Truly a legend forever, even in death
bros, you nor dey sleep? Abi u dey bomb this morning

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by nick50(m): 4:48am On Apr 14, 2021
my role model, my real G. O. A. T

2 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by Broken2020: 4:50am On Apr 14, 2021
The5DME:

Bring updates

5 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by Enudapan: 4:51am On Apr 14, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so sophisticated

Hbd late odogwu
Once saw this name on
Omah lay's video
"Godly"

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by kingsleefolli(m): 4:52am On Apr 14, 2021
Google dey fool us.only naija google oooo.use better VPN.you won't see anything.see proof here.this oyinbo know what we want.tweeter coming to africa to do what,to fool us.let wise up.next abeg.no data to check rubbish.

6 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:52am On Apr 14, 2021
Keep Resting in Perfect Peace LEGEND.

Some of us @[/b] grew up listening to this Chief Oliver De Coque most popular track.
If only all Nigerians can understand the lyrics to this song,
We would have been living in peace.
The world is Big and will contain everybody.
[b]Biri ka mbiri : Live and let live

We thank God we came in touch with him during his coronation as THE KING OF HIGHLIFE MUSIC in 1994.

He sang this song straight from his heart, professing the love and greatness of Nigeria.

We hereby present this song and video to you for your listening pleasure.
WONDERFUL SONG.
'Sciencee and Tekinologi' tins.
The Good ol' days wink
Enjoy Guys kiss kiss kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0wxvntvTXI

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by Atheistan: 4:52am On Apr 14, 2021
Remembering old days...
Amazing musician.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:52am On Apr 14, 2021
kingsleefolli:
Google dey fool us.only naija google oooo.use better VPN.you won't see anything.see proof here.this oyinbo know what we want.tweeter coming to africa to do what,to fool us.let wise up.next abeg.no data to check rubbish.

MejiLoyon:
Sman anthem composer

Funfact. That doodle only shows in Africa...if possible Nigeria. I don't know about other countries but in Yankee E no dey show. Na another thing dey show. Google just dey make una happy . The day I knew this fact na that day I realise say them dey use us catch Cruise

naptu2:

Of course we don't need their validation, but that doesn't mean that they cannot celebrate him.

Think about this, you said that you saw a Google doole celebrating a Nigerian, then you opened Google and saw Abraham Lincoln. That means that the Abraham Lincoln doodle was also not shown worldwide because it was not shown here.

Google is a global company and some of their workers and customers are Nigerian and there's absolutely nothing wrong if they celebrate a Nigerian.

Many of their doodles are not global because tastes and interests differ. For example, you might not see a Google doodle celebrating Easter in Saudi Arabia or Israel. Events clash and while a doodle might be celebrating something in one part of the world, there might be another doodle celebrating something else in another part of the world. That's the way of the world.

Right now there might be a doodle in another country celebrating a music star from that country, but in Nigeria the doodle is celebrating Oliver De Coque.

That doesn't mean that they are trying to fool us.

I listened to shortwave radio in the 1980s and I discovered that what was being broadcast on BBC Americas was different from what was on BBC South Asia and that was different from what was on BBC Africa and so on and so forth.

Reference:

And why will you want it shown in America, Australia or Brazil. If a Russian composer or a Japanese folk singer is shown here will that mean anything to you.

You folks are just too dull, just full of degenerative sentiment.

When we see South African adverts on DSTV it annoys us. You then want Nigerian adverts in America...?
We were kinda suprise to read those 2 comments above,,
But, Thank you for enlightening them Sirs.
(It's not their fault!)
We won't say more than that.
Good we still have mature and reasonable people like these 2 responders on this forum.

ogwumgbe:

Those two responders are just well enlightened. I am an advent of wisdom and knowledge and I give them thumb ups and 500 likes each
Gbam!

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by BBBells: 4:52am On Apr 14, 2021
Nobody likes us who cares, as long as we like ourselves

mr dj pls play me BABY ANSWER BY RUNTOWN

RESPECT TO THE KING OF HIGHLIFE!
Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 4:54am On Apr 14, 2021
How about maman shatta
Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by kingsleefolli(m): 4:54am On Apr 14, 2021
See it here.france today.OP please don't allow this people to fool us.next

5 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by Sabadon(m): 4:54am On Apr 14, 2021
lol @op you beat me to this thread....was about creating it only to see it on fp
Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by potbelly(m): 4:55am On Apr 14, 2021
Funny Funny Identity... cheesy cheesy
Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by naptu2: 4:55am On Apr 14, 2021
MejiLoyon:
Sman anthem composer

kingsleefolli:

kingsleefolli:

Many websites have specific versions for specific regions and they tailor their content for that specific region.

This doodle appears on Google.com.ng, that is, Google Nigeria. There's also specific content that's tailor made for Spain on Google.es. How does that mean that they are fooling us??

Does the fact that we have BBC Pidgin or BBC Africa mean that the BBC is fooling us or does the fact that there's an MTV Europe mean that MTV is fooling Europeans?

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by MrNipplesLover(m): 4:57am On Apr 14, 2021
The legendary guitar man, singer...

May you continue to rest in the blossom of the Lord.

✌✌

3 Likes

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by femi4: 4:57am On Apr 14, 2021
kingsleefolli:
They are celebrating someone else in France

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by MrNipplesLover(m): 4:59am On Apr 14, 2021
The5DME:

We're in the month of Ramadan...

Except if he's not a Muslim.
Re: Google Celebrates Oliver De Coque On His 74th Posthumous Birthday. by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:00am On Apr 14, 2021
Legendary Oliver De Coque

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bimbo Thomas And Her Son Looking All Fresh / Moesha Boduong Flaunts Her New Range Rover (Photos) / Susan Peters Shares Photo With Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.