Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,383 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? (15260 Views)

MR T-MILEX/CARQUEST/RAD AUTO WORKS 2020 Diagnostic Scanner Christmas Giveaway / My Great Experience At Rad Auto Works / Carquest/Milex Deals & Specials Thread courtesy of Rad Auto Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 9:15pm On Apr 15, 2021
"I would like to visit Rad Auto Works/Milex/Carquest but I'm afraid of the price!"

I see this sentiment a lot on NL but is it really expensive? Well, in a nutshell, you get what you pay for. This has been discussed in bits and pieces across NL so let's look at how business is conducted at Rad Auto Works:

Step 1
Bring car for free diagnosis with repair(if repair is not desired, skip to step 7)

Step 2
Get detailed repair estimate and recommendations

STEP 3
SIGN AND ACCEPT estimate to approve repair OR DON'T SIGN AND REJECT ESTIMATE (SKIP TO STEP 6)

STEP 4
BRING YOUR OWN PARTS (different labor rate), OR use our parts with up to two year warranty

step 5
Car is repaired

Step 6
Pay and pick up car, have warranty explained

Step 7
Pay for diagnosis and leave (N5,000-in most cases)

Step 8
Come in for free 14 day follow up if required. If not, enjoy not having to worry for two years.

The picture below is a sample of an "expensive" job on a limited 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe that includes, ac compressor, tie rods and oil change. note that what drives up the price is the cost of the imported AC compressor with a 2 year warranty. A cost we can do nothing about due to the nigerian economic climate.

Note the labor was only 30k for the whole thing. This is how detailed our billing is so you know exactly what we are charging.

The second picture is the book hours for some common work on a 2012 Camry.

That being said, for a comparable shop in Lagos, we are cheap.

FAQs
obekediamondfuto:
I have a question.

how do we quantify/ measure the actual Vs ideal hours a mechanic should spend on a particular project?

I speak this for the benefit of everyone in naija before other mechanics start seeing this kain thing and start billing us per hour...

then u go see mechanic that will spend 20 hours for engine removal then 8 days rebuilding and 2 weeks to install.... by the time the project is finished, money spent on man hour labour would have purchased two of that kinda vehicle. excuses like.... "oga, the vehicle strong oh we no fit loose am" or the likes will surface

please is there any corporate entity that can verify,/ audit these labour hours or its not necessary.....

for now I know aunty radu them are trying to change things so they would not even dare doctor hours.

radautoworks:

Easy. There are specified hours in Auto shop software that dictate how long every single job on a car should take. Every dealer has it even if they choose to ignore it. It is referred to as the "book". If the "book" says 20 hours and you take 40 hours, you can only collect 20 hours.

Conversely, if the "book" says 20 hours and you are really good and take 16, you still get paid 20 hours. That's why our shops do so well. We consistently over-perform the "book".

The book is how mechanics get paid in the usa so if they work 40 hours but only book 30, they get paid for 30. Someone like my husband consistently booked 90 hours a week working 40 when he was with other companies. No mechanic worth his salt EVER agrees to salary in the USA. If they do, RUN.

The book bases time on a "good " or "b" technician not even an "a" so there is no reason why techs should be going over the allotted time consistently. If a tech can't beat book time without making mistakes, they can't work for us.

The most popular book is Alldata, followed by Mitchell. There are others of course but the are all pretty much the same as far as labor hours.

Egunmogaji, AutoElectNG and some others can confirm this.

Mr. FUTO probably missed class when I held a lecture on "book".

A) The book will specify how long repair should take a mechanic. This is not only useful for the consumer but massively useful for insurance companies.

Any shop/mechanic that doesn't complete work before the book hours should be flogged with a timing belt.

B) Most small shops forgo the book thing, and especially those that specialize on a certain brand or certain automotive aspect.

So for me I won't be doing book in Nigeria (I think so far), it will be project based. For example, 4 wheel brake job, including changing all rotors/drums, pads/shoe and related hardware should be a relative easy task that can be advertised for a given amount of money. So you might see something like "N35,000 brake job".

The industry in Nigeria needs to develop a book for repairs as we're in uncharted territories. I've seen some scary engine bays.

We also desperately need a blue book value.

obekediamondfuto:

aunty radu, abeg soft copy dey? does the book cover for unforseen circumstances.....like exhaust welded to the engine direct
radautoworks:

While it's called a book, it's actually software or online. You can buy a subscription of it's worth it to you from any of them but the subscriptions usually run anywhere from $100-200 a month. As a Carquest, it's inbuilt into our system so we don't subscribe.

In an extreme case like direct weld, maybe one or two hours extras might be permitted but we have never asked for it.

2 Likes

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 9:15pm On Apr 15, 2021
"But why are their parts so expensive if as they claim they have no middle man and are direct with manufacturers? Afterall they are a Carquest undecided"

Ladies and gentlemen, the answer is simple-NIGERIA. No matter how honest you try to be the system encourages illegal behavior.

Case in point an issue I am actively wrestling as we speak that has been progressively getting worse over the past year.

When you import parts worth $1,800 (complete with manufacturer invoices attached to the pallet), pay shipping of $1,700 and customs decides that they know better than the manufacturer and says the goods cost $8,000 then hands you a duty bill of N1.6m ($3,333), what price can you then sell to your customer for? We fight it and usually get it down somebut that usually delays deliveries by 3-4 weeks undecided

Could we do like others and smuggle? Yes, we could but why would we put such a large investment at risk? We believe in transparency and doing things the right way but when a system takes advantage of that, what is your recourse? Despite that, we have never passed on the cost to the customer and simply relied on a low margin-high volume model.

So the next time you feel that Carquest prices are high, don't blame us, blame the system. I'm all ears if anyone has A LEGAL way to bring prices lower for our customers.

See images below.

3 Likes

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by NobleEngineer(m): 10:09pm On Apr 15, 2021
RESERVED TOO wink

2 Likes

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 5:07pm On Apr 16, 2021
radautoworks:
"But why are their parts so expensive if as they claim they have no middle man and are direct with manufacturers? Afterall they are a Carquest undecided"

Ladies and gentlemen, the answer is simple-NIGERIA. No matter how honest you try to be the system encourages illegal behavior.

Case in point an issue I am actively wrestling as we speak that has been progressively getting worse over the past year.

When you import parts worth $1,800 (complete with manufacturer invoices attached to the pallet), pay shipping of $1,700 and customs decides that they know better than the manufacturer and says the goods cost $8,000 then hands you a duty bill of N1.6m ($3,333), what price can you then sell to your customer for? We fight it and usually get it down somebut that usually delays deliveries by 3-4 weeks undecided

Could we do like others and smuggle? Yes, we could but why would we put such a large investment at risk? We believe in transparency and doing things the right way but when a system takes advantage of that, what is your recourse? Despite that, we have never passed on the cost to the customer and simply relied on a low margin-high volume model.

So the next time you feel that Carquest prices are high, don't blame us, blame the system. I'm all ears if anyone has A LEGAL way to bring prices lower for our customers.

See images below.

1 Like

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by Nostradamu(m): 3:31pm On Apr 21, 2021

Damn! This quote is underrated. An old post, just stumbled on it. Nonetheless, 6-7 years down the line, it's still truer than the gospel.

Wow!

3 Likes

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 5:58pm On May 06, 2021
radautoworks:
This took too long to set up but it's almost here. Rapid in and out oil changes for those who just need that and no diagnosis.
IT WILL BE GET IN, GET OUT, GET GONE! WALK-IN WELCOME NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY

Getting ready to start!
https://youtube.com/shorts/5Y7HQfJGTrY?feature=share

Conventional oil 25k oil, filter & labor*
Synthetic oil 35k oil, filter & labor*

*Up to 5 quarts/liters

The synthetic option means just two oil changes a year!

Rapid in and out oil changes for those who just need that and no diagnosis.
IT WILL BE GET IN, GET OUT, GET GONE! WALK-IN WELCOME NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY

1 Like

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 11:29pm On May 07, 2021
IT'S HEEREEEEE! COME ON IN!!

3 Likes

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 11:37pm On May 10, 2021
As part of our commitment to our customers, we have been able to reduce the prices for Ac Compressors by an average of 15% while still offering our unique warranties!
We will continue to try to bring better prices to our customers where we can in these trying times.

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 12:17am On May 11, 2021
radautoworks:
As part of our commitment to our customers, we have been able to reduce the prices for Ac Compressors by an average of 15% while still offering our unique warranties!
We will continue to try to bring better prices to our customers where we can in these trying times.

We also have a MASSIVE price reduction on spark plugs and ignition coils!!

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 6:39pm On May 13, 2021

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 7:26pm On Jun 16, 2021
You get what you pay for

KNOW THE SOURCE OF YOUR PARTS

THIS is our supply chain.

Carquest HQ in Florida- Houston international airport (IAH) - Carquest, Lekki

No middle man. Straight from manufacturer through Carquest/Advance Auto Parts distribution.

NO FAKES OR COPIES HERE!

https://youtube.com/shorts/1c9wMtQdOlg?feature=share

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 7:47pm On Jun 22, 2021
Because of the incredible support we have received, we can no longer keep up with the volume of customers in a walk-in basis. For now, we will be operating based on appointments only. Quick changes like oil and brakes are still available via walk-in.

As we open more locations to spread the load we hope to be able to return to walk-ins for all services.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 11:26pm On Jun 27, 2021
THE BLITZES HAVE STARTED!!
First up, discs/rotors. NO LABOR CHARGE to install with a disc/rotor purchase from Carquest. Applies to all makes and models.

Address? Enter Rad Auto Works, Carquest or Milex into Google maps and it will bring your straight to us!

ENDS JULY 15TH WHEN A NEW BLITZ STARTS

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by Springboot: 6:06pm On Jul 03, 2021
Do you have original spark plugs for 2007 toyota 4runner. Original as in imported. Thanks.
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 8:03pm On Jul 03, 2021
Springboot:
Do you have original spark plugs for 2007 toyota 4runner. Original as in imported. Thanks.

Yes we do. Range from N2,650-8,060 each.

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by Springboot: 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2021
radautoworks:

Yes we do. Range from N2,650-8,060 each.

I want the best. Do you have them in stock or I have to pre-order?
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 1:07am On Jul 04, 2021
Springboot:

I want the best. Do you have them in stock or I have to pre-order?
they are in stock. How many do you need?
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 4:00pm On Jul 04, 2021
SHOCK ABSORBERS AND STRUTS!!!!
We couldn't wait until the 15th to start the next blitz cheesy

Until July 17th, Monroe shocks and struts prices have been reduced and installation is only N4k with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY!!
WHAT. ARE. YOU. WAITING. FOR?? cool

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by Springboot: 6:28pm On Jul 04, 2021
radautoworks:
they are in stock. How many do you need?

I want all, can you send it to Abuja? Can you send a picture here if it's not too much or work. Thanks.
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 6:33pm On Jul 04, 2021
Springboot:

I want all, can you send it to Abuja? Can you send a picture here if it's not too much or work. Thanks.
you'll have to contact support@radautoworks.com for that or use form found here https://www.mrtransmissionmilexnigeria.com/parts-request
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by Springboot: 6:51pm On Jul 04, 2021
radautoworks:
you'll have to contact support@radautoworks.com for that or use form found here https://www.mrtransmissionmilexnigeria.com/parts-request

Form submitted, so I can't have a picture or name? It's okay, I've filled the request. Tnx.
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 7:13pm On Jul 04, 2021
Springboot:

Form submitted, so I can't have a picture or name? It's okay, I've filled the request. Tnx.
they have to give it to you. I am not in Lagos
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by PrinceDave001(m): 8:30am On Jul 08, 2021
Hello radautoworks, please do you have Hyundai Genuine SP 111 ATF?
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by Pearl1910: 2:38pm On Jul 08, 2021
radautoworks:

See images below.

This country ehhh...the system doesn't encourage transparency and honesty. It pushes people to be fraudulent and crooked. Customs will decide cost of an item just so they can bill u high for duty. Sic. cry

1 Like

Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 3:43pm On Jul 08, 2021
PrinceDave001:
Hello radautoworks, please do you have Hyundai Genuine SP 111 ATF?
what car is it for?
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by PrinceDave001(m): 4:46pm On Jul 08, 2021
radautoworks:
what car is it for?
Hyundai sonata 2008
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 4:52pm On Jul 08, 2021
PrinceDave001:

Hyundai sonata 2008

This is what we have in stock for that car http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=CQO&partNumber=CQ426 $10,500
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by PrinceDave001(m): 4:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
[quote author=radautoworks post=103503186]

This is what we have in stock for that car http://weblink.carquest.com/acl/?mfgName=CQO&partNumber=CQ426 $10,500[/quote
] 10500 naira or 10500 dollars?
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by PrinceDave001(m): 4:58pm On Jul 08, 2021
10,500 naira or 10,500 dollars?
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 6:46pm On Jul 08, 2021
[quote author=PrinceDave001 post=103503366][/quote]haba na cheesy
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by PrinceDave001(m): 9:48pm On Jul 08, 2021
radautoworks:
haba na cheesy
How do I get it boss?
Re: Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"? by radautoworks: 2:54am On Jul 09, 2021
PrinceDave001:

How do I get it boss?
contact information in my signature or https://www.mrtransmissionmilexnigeria.com/parts-request

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? / I can Help You Get Medical Report For Tinted Glass / Customs Gives Account Of Vehicles Seized Since President Buhari Came Into Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.