Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,902 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized (41441 Views)

21-Year-Old Woman Falls Into Domestic Well In Kwara And Dies (Graphic) / Energy Drinks: What Are The Side Effects Of This Drink? / Are Energy Drinks Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by umuerri1(m): 12:59am On Dec 17, 2021
Tinyemeka:
During my undergrad days, we used to go for all night jacking, a.k.a TDB.

To ward off the sleep, a friend introduced me to one candy they called Kona café. A coffee-flavoured sweet. I'd buy about five of them and consume them as I read through the night. However, it wasn't long before my body got used to that and the sweets were no longer effective in preventing me from sleeping.

I needed something stronger and switched to taking hot cocoa with coffee to battle sleep. Of course that didn't last for long. I remember one funny incident that happened one night. I was still in the hostel and took the usual hot drink. I just lay in bed reading and within the next 30 minutes, I'd already fallen asleep.

Was so frustrating for me that I decided to forgo milk and just mix Nescafé in cold water, then gulp down the bitter stuff. I did this for about 2 weeks, until I went full blown hardcore. angry

I'd just open the tin of Nescafé, scoop 3 teaspoons and dump them in my mouth raw. Chew on it and then wash it down with a sachet of cold water. Coffee when hot, has that pleasant, burnt aroma. But when cold, it gives off this evil-tasting, bitter-sour taste. This was what I used to make myself go through whenever I chewed the raw stuff. My rationale was that the more bitter it tasted, the longer I could remain awake. So this became my last resort in remaining awake all-night and reading till daybreak. I knew it was taking its toll on me, because I'd suddenly develop sweating spells, my body would go clammy and my heart developed irregular beating patterns. I swear, there were times when I'd be walking and suddenly discover that my heart had skipped beats for a few seconds.

I was managing all these until one day while writing in class, everywhere just suddenly bstarted spinning and I couldn't even see my hand or the book I was writing on. I was sitting down mind you. First thing that passed through my mind then was: How can one get so dizzy while sitting down? I couldn't even sit. Had to leave the class and look for a place to lie down until the dizziness stopped. It wasn't just the dizziness, but I would get very weak, my fingers and toes would get cold and I'd be seeing colours before my eyes.

Throughout that day, I didn't know what might have caused the sudden dizzy spells. It was much later that I began to suspect that caffeine consumption might have been the culprit of my predicament. I immediately dropped the habit and threw away the remaining tin of coffee. Needless to say that I continued to suffer the dizzy spells and heart palpitations for roughly an additional 5 months until they gradually wore off. I'm pretty sure I came close to dying or having a heart attack, with that first dizzy episode.

These days I only use coffee sparingly, when I wish to enjoy the flavour with my cocoa drink. Even at that I still get to suffer the effect hours later in the form of cold sweats, sourness at the back of my throat and shaky hands. But wetin man go do?

I sometimes marvel when I hear the quantity of coffee Americans get to consume each and everyday.

Hi bro I’m having same issue rn I consumed black bullet for like once in two weeks that’s two cans a night twice in two weeks and all of a sudden now I have palpitations
How were you coping during your time? With the palpitations
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by Tinyemeka(m): 8:36am On Dec 17, 2021
umuerri1:

Hi bro I’m having same issue rn I consumed black bullet for like once in two weeks that’s two cans a night twice in two weeks and all of a sudden now I have palpitations
How were you coping during your time? With the palpitations

Plenty sleep (which is ironical because that's what you were trying to avoid in the first place). Then I absolutely stayed off caffeine until I graduated. Also drank lots of water.

The palpitations stayed on for about a month before waning off gradually.
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by umuerri1(m): 10:31am On Dec 17, 2021
Tinyemeka:

Plenty sleep (which is ironical because that's what you were trying to avoid in the first place). Then I absolutely stayed off caffeine until I graduated. Also drank lots of water.

The palpitations stayed on for about a month before waning off gradually.

Ok brother mine has been here for about 3weeks now and I’m still watching though, the palpitations are so intense sometimes, other times I can’t feel it. About two doctors now have ran tests maybe there’s something else causing it but still not found anything,. Kind of bothered don’t know what to do. I guess yours was just palpitations and your blood pressure was normal, my blood pressure fluctuates between 140 and 150
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by Tinyemeka(m): 11:39am On Dec 17, 2021
umuerri1:

Ok brother mine has been here for about 3weeks now and I’m still watching though, the palpitations are so intense sometimes, other times I can’t feel it. About two doctors now have ran tests maybe there’s something else causing it but still not found anything,. Kind of bothered don’t know what to do. I guess yours was just palpitations and your blood pressure was normal, my blood pressure fluctuates between 140 and 150

I didn't check my blood pressure during the period.

Take sufficient rests, avoid strenuous activities and sports, then give it some time.

If it persists, you might have to see an endocrinologist.
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by ahnie: 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2021
One energy drink I would never near is Powerhorse.that drink showed me shege that year.
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by umuerri1(m): 5:03pm On Dec 17, 2021
Tinyemeka:

I didn't check my blood pressure during the period.

Take sufficient rests, avoid strenuous activities and sports, then give it some time.

If it persists, you might have to see an endocrinologist.

Thank you so much for your advice
I’m hoping All of these comes to an end one day very soon just the way it came.
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by Tinyemeka(m): 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2021
umuerri1:

Thank you so much for your advice
I’m hoping All of these comes to an end one day very soon just the way it came.

Amen bro. Amen.

You'll be fine by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by umuerri1(m): 8:43am On Dec 20, 2021
Tinyemeka:

Amen bro. Amen.

You'll be fine by God's grace.

Hello bro good morning I checked my BP yesterday and it was good � 120 122 respectively and heart rate was 80 twice but I can still feel my heartbeat tho but I feel perfectly normal
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by Shellsploit: 8:44am On Dec 20, 2021
Energy drink wey i dey drink like sachet water undecided
Body differs tho
Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by AngelicBeing: 12:27pm On Dec 20, 2021
Shellsploit:
Energy drink wey i dey drink like sachet water undecided
Body differs tho
Hian, no, no and No, stop consuming energy drinks like that, but if you are involved in a strenuous exercise like football, athletics, basketball etc then you can drink it but even at that MODERATION should be your KEYWORD, too much consumption of energy drinks might likely do a lot of damage to your internal organs, don't be like Bubu the Philistine President in Aso Rock that is like a vegetable due to too much consumption of Energy failure / economic failure/ political failure / religious failure etc shocked

1 Like

Re: A 21-year-old Man Who Drank 4 Energy Drinks A Day Hospitalized by Shellsploit: 12:48pm On Dec 20, 2021
AngelicBeing:
Hian, no, no and No, stop consuming energy drinks like that, but if you are involved in a strenuous exercise like football, athletics, basketball etc then you can drink it but even at that MODERATION should be your KEYWORD, too much consumption of energy drinks might likely do a lot of damage to your internal organs, don't be like Bubu the Philistine President in Aso Rock that is like a vegetable due to too much consumption of Energy failure / economic failure/ political failure / religious failure etc shocked

Angelicbeing has spoken!
Will put a stop to it immediately.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ways To Get Rid Of Dark Armpits Naturally / "I Had Stray Bullet In My Head For Over A Year" - Young Man (Photos) / Can A Man With One Testicle Impregnate A Woman?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.