Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? (15005 Views)

My Friend Faces Dilemmas Over A Partner's Child Adoption. / I Want To Give My Daughter Up For Adoption / Is Foreign Child Adoption Possible For Africans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 4:23pm On Apr 18, 2021
Please, folks in the house, what's the deal, really?

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

But why is it a big deal in Nigeria?

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

Is it expensive, financially?

Is it really hard to love a child that's not your flesh and blood?

13 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Barbsamiin: 4:37pm On Apr 18, 2021
Many parents nowadays adopted childrens that are not biologically theirs, they don't know.
So no need to reapply any adoption again.

32 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 18, 2021
They're probably uninformed (don't know much about the adoption process) or ill-informed (heard wrong, false information about adoption/the adoption process). Likewise, most people would rather have their own biological children than adopt.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Liposure: 4:48pm On Apr 18, 2021
Because its not in our DNA to adopt something that is not yours when you can potentially produce your own. We are africans and having your own kids is regarded as achievement.

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2021
Barbsamiin:
Many parents nowadays adopted childrens that are not biologically theirs, they don't know.
So no need to reapply any adoption again.

You're referring to paternity fraud?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 5:07pm On Apr 18, 2021
aroundtheearth:
They're probably uninformed (don't know much about the adoption process) or ill-informed (heard wrong, false information about adoption/the adoption process). Likewise, most people would rather have their own biological children than adopt.

I agree. But even when the biological children aren't forthcoming, they still don't explore the adoption option.

I know a few couples who have been childless for more than 7 years. Why not adopt since they really want children?

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 5:11pm On Apr 18, 2021
Liposure:
Because its not in our DNA to adopt something that is not yours when you can potentially produce your own. We are africans and having your own kids is seen as an achievement.

Okay, have one and adopt others, then.

Isn't Nigeria too populated for each person to be aspiring to have 3/4 new kids when there are so many existing lovely children out there in need of a home?

I also think it would help to fix some societal problems because most of the people who become streets urchins and criminals and having varying psychological dysfunctions, are people who are either orphans raised in orphanages, or people who grew up alone on the streets with no love.

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Barbsamiin: 6:50pm On Apr 18, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

You're referring to paternity fraud?
Egg xactly

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:25pm On Apr 18, 2021
Barbsamiin:
Egg xactly

Lol. That's another matter entirely.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:51am On Apr 19, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

you are so me... Personally, when ready I'll love to get married to a woman who will prefer we have one or two kids!!!

Like can't people see overpopulation?! well it all boils down to the fact that parents just want to give their selfish love to their biological kids. end of story.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by cricifixo: 6:57am On Apr 19, 2021
I actually plan on adopting 2 kids when my kids get into the university & d house is empty

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:56am On Apr 19, 2021
Tablechair:
you are so me... Personally, when ready I'll love to get married to a woman who will prefer we have one or two kids!!!

Like can't people see overpopulation?! well it all boils down to the fact that parents just want to give their selfish love to their biological kids. end of story.

I guess so. Because I don't seem to see any other strong logical point from anyone.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:56am On Apr 19, 2021
cricifixo:
I actually plan on adopting 2 kids when my kids get into the university & d house is empty

Awesome!

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by ThatPetiteChic: 3:05pm On Apr 19, 2021
In Lagos state, the process is cumbersome. Starting with the medical fitness test which must be strictly done at LASUTH to other things.

9 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:20pm On Apr 19, 2021
ThatPetiteChic:
In Lagos state, the process is cumbersome. Starting with the medical fitness test which must be strictly done at LASUTH to other things.

I won't say they should scrap all of those processes because I believe most of them are necessary to ensure compatibility of both parents and child.

I only wish they'll devise ways to make it more seamless.

10 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Crocif: 7:37pm On Apr 19, 2021
I wish I had answers to your questions but I don't. I can only say that adopting a child is very noble.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by LordPherule(m): 6:08am On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

No orientation about it in Africa and also African mentality is a deterrent factor.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Lostchild(m): 11:31am On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Okay, have one and adopt others, then.

Isn't Nigeria too populated for each person to be aspiring to have 3/4 new kids when there are so many existing lovely children out there in need of a home?

I also think it would help to fix some societal problems because most of the people who become streets urchins and criminals and having varying psychological dysfunctions, are people who are either orphans raised in orphanages, or people who grew up alone on the streets with no love.

Nigerians don't adopt children. Adoption is not for us. We are religious and we have faith in God to help us in areas where we cant help ourself

I check your profile and i saw that you are even a Nigerian and you are asking all this questions

Nigeria is not America. Hope you get me.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Teaser4(m): 3:43pm On Apr 20, 2021
Country hard, even Nigeria dey look for who go adopt am... Make SA con adopt naija oh, cos naija na orphan...

Nigerians don't adopt!!!

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Revere27: 3:44pm On Apr 20, 2021
angry
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Pele10: 3:44pm On Apr 20, 2021
Why should it be when when relatives and friends will still be mounting preasure for you to have a child of ur own blood.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 20, 2021
As i read the topic, i knew it would definitely be a female

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Ipromote: 3:45pm On Apr 20, 2021
Superstition and stuff
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by blamingthedevil: 3:45pm On Apr 20, 2021
Because of baby factory and child trafficking in South East.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by maximunimpact(m): 3:45pm On Apr 20, 2021
cool
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Romanoff(f): 3:45pm On Apr 20, 2021
As unpopular as it is, the process hard die.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Okortor: 3:45pm On Apr 20, 2021
An uncle once said,
I can't adopt a child that isn't my blood.

Lol.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by bmdmix3: 3:46pm On Apr 20, 2021
because Pastor say
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by nauto: 3:47pm On Apr 20, 2021
Because there is a believe that Blood is thinker than water
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Muhylonaire007: 3:47pm On Apr 20, 2021
No culture talked about it
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Qsand: 3:48pm On Apr 20, 2021
What kind of question is that? Is it popular abroad ni?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by dreu2fine(m): 3:50pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

fear of witches and wizards

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Did You Stop Bed Wetting? / The Things About Some Neighbors Borrowing Things And Not Return It. / Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.