Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,081 members, 7,845,559 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) (352 Views)

For Ten Thousand Dollars- The Aftermath Of An Unintended Office Romance / Three Nights And A Bang / 30 Days And 30 Nights (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 20, 2021
One Thousand and One Nights (Arabic : ﺃَﻟْﻒُ ﻟَﻴْﻠَﺔٍ ﻭَﻟَﻴْﻠَﺔٌ , ʾAlf Laylah wa-Laylah ) is a collection of Middle Eastern folk tales compiled in Arabic during the Islamic Golden Age . It is often known in English as the
Arabian Nights , from the first English-language edition (c. 1706–1721), which rendered the title as The Arabian Nights' Entertainment.

The work was collected over many centuries by various authors, translators, and scholars across West, Central and South Asia, and North Africa.

Some tales themselves trace their roots back to ancient and medieval
Arabic , Egyptian , Indian , Persian, and
Mesopotamian folklore and literature.

In particular, many tales were originally folk stories from the Abbasid and Mamluk eras, while others, especially the frame story, are most probably drawn from the Pahlavi Persian work Hezār Afsān (Persian: ﻫﺰﺍﺭ ﺍﻓﺴﺎﻥ
, lit. A Thousand Tales ), which in turn relied partly on Indian elements.
Re: One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 20, 2021
The main frame story concerns Shahryār
whom the narrator calls a "Sasanian king" ruling in "India and China." Shahryār is shocked to learn that his brother's wife is unfaithful.
Discovering that his own wife's infidelity has been even more flagrant, he has her killed. In his bitterness and grief, he decides that all women are the same.
Shahryār begins to marry a succession of virgins only to execute each one the next morning, before she has a chance to dishonour him.

Eventually the Vizier (Wazir), whose duty it is to provide them, cannot find any more virgins. Scheherazade (Persian: ﺷﻬْﺮﺯﺍﺩ ,
Shahrazād, the vizier's daughter, offers herself as the next bride and her father reluctantly agrees.
On the night of their marriage, Scheherazade begins to tell the king a tale, but does not end it.

The king, curious about how the story ends, is thus forced to postpone her execution in order to hear the conclusion. The next night, as soon as she finishes the tale, she begins another one, and the king, eager to hear the conclusion of that tale as well, postpones her execution once again.

This goes on for one thousand and one nights, hence the name.

1 Like

Re: One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 20, 2021
Numerous stories depict jinn , ghouls ,apes, sorcerers , magicians , and legendary places, which are often intermingled with real people and geography, not always rationally.

Common protagonists include the historical Abbasid caliph Harun al-Rashid , his Grand Vizier, Jafar al-Barmaki , and the famous poet Abu Nuwas , despite the fact that these figures lived some 200 years after the fall of the Sassanid Empire, in which the frame tale of Scheherazade is set.

Sometimes a character in Scheherazade's tale will begin telling other characters a story of his own, and that story may have another one told within it, resulting in a richly layered narrative texture.

Different versions differ, at least in detail, as to final endings (in some Scheherazade asks for a pardon, in some the king sees their children and decides not to execute his wife, in some other things happen that make the king distracted) but they all end with the king giving his wife a pardon and sparing her life.
Re: One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) by Brotherbaby(m): 10:48am On Apr 20, 2021
Please, how can I get this book? I lost mine years back
Re: One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) by Nobody: 10:53am On Apr 20, 2021
Brotherbaby:
Please, how can I get this book? I lost mine years back

Click to Downlaod Pdf File:
https://www.globalgreyebooks.com/ebooks1/andrew-lang/arabian-nights/arabian-nights.pdf

1 Like

Re: One Thousand And One Nights (Arabian Nights Entertainment) by criuze(m): 12:24pm On Apr 20, 2021
i found some culled in 24 laws of power and some other books i found in the library

but i need to get the real hard copy, dont know if its in Nigerian stores

(1) (Reply)

If You Have Writing Experience And You Can Write To Wow, Come In / Gov. Inuwa Yahaya, Others Set To Grace Rebranded Gombe Day Of Literature Tuesday / Earn One Million Naira Working From Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.