Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,490 members, 7,854,110 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:56 AM

What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. (635 Views)

10 Best Universities To Study Architecture In Nigeria / 10 Best Universities To Study Architecture In Nigeria 2018 / Checkout Nigerian University Where Students Pay N25k For Lab Coat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. by AppleEVOLUTION: 3:33pm On Apr 20, 2021
Hey Guys,
So I this year 2021 I am going to enroll for Jamb and I am think of choosing Architecture as a course to study in Nigeria.

I really love the course and I have been dreaming of becoming an architect ever since i was in primary school.

And I wanted to know what is it like to study Architecture in a Nigeria University.

Please share your experience with the course in your various universities.

Thank you.
Re: What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. by Ammishaddai: 3:36pm On Apr 20, 2021
Get ready to draw and do presentations like mad. And if you are not good at perspective drawing start practicing now.

1 Like

Re: What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. by BigDawsNet: 4:43pm On Apr 20, 2021
AppleEVOLUTION:
Hey Guys,
So I this year 2021 I am going to enroll for Jamb and I am think of choosing Architecture as a course to study in Nigeria.

I really love the course and I have been dreaming of becoming an architect ever since i was in primary school.

And I wanted to know what is it like to study Architecture in a Nigeria University.

Please share your experience with the course in your various universities.

Thank you.

I believe most Universities in Nigeria offer Architectures..

It's a very nice professional course

Just be reading for drawing with angles and calculations...

Make sure you resume with your perfect condition laptop with the neccassry software application required....

Go for it....

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. by Adegunle4(m): 7:38am On Apr 21, 2021
BigDawsNet:

I believe most Universities in Nigeria offer Architectures..

It's a very nice professional course

Just be reading for drawing with angles and calculations...
Make sure you resume with your perfect condition laptop with the neccassry software application required....

Go for it....

Goodluck

Lol
Re: What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. by Cashio(m): 1:36pm On Apr 21, 2021
1. Knowing how to draw is an advantage, but you don't necessarily need to know how to draw before entering into any school of architecture. All that you will need will be taught you in school.
2. I hope you have at least a credit in English, Maths and physics. Those are the three core subject requirements for architecture, together with either of geography or chemistry.
3. Try to blast your jamb and post utme too so as to stand a better chance.
4. Know that architecture is all about drawing. You will have to draw and draw and draw and draw again till you graduate.
5. You will have weeks of sleepless nights where you sit on your table drawing till day breaks and still sit on the same table till darkness comes and do that over again.
6. If you eventually gain admission, some of your mates will drop after year 1 to change to an easier course. Do not be among them. It will be worth it in the end. One of the most lucrative sectors every where around the world is the construction industry.
7. Strive for good grades during your 100 and 200 levels. Those are the easiest. It gets tougher as you get higher, coupled with the reduction in the zeal to study that comes with higher levels. You have more ginger in the earlier years in school.

It can go on and on and on....Do not forget the number one advice.

Let me share this story.
I only handled pencil to draw during my jss 1 and after that, I never did touch pencil again till I finished secondary School.
I was so terrible at drawing when I got admission, such that there was a time we were asked to paint the sky. My painting came out so terrible that it looked like an apocalypse. we were under one almond tree like that. The entire class gathered around me and laughed at me until I lost my self esteem.
Despite that, I never quit and in the end, I came out a 4 pointer and among the best designers in my set.

Architecture is not fine arts. It is only in fine arts that you need to draw like da vinci. In architecture, all you need is to master the use of your drawing instruments.

Good luck to you prospective architect.

Another point to boost your morale...Architecture gives you the opportunity to make money in your field even while still in school and also gives you the opportunity of self employment after school.

If you perfect your CAD skills, as early as 200 level, you have already started selling out drawings to clients.

You can still learn how to model buildings and with that skill, you can make a lot of money from modelling for fellow students as well as students from other departments like building, QUS and estate management who borrow your course.
My final year model was done at 45k and the guy that did that for me also modelled for more than 8 other guys at the same time.....just a clue.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What is it Like to Study Architecture in a Nigerian University. by AbuMikey(m): 3:51pm On Apr 21, 2021
Go in with a Champion's mentality.
Tell yourself nothing will deter you, and you'll be fine.

The stress level varies from school to school, but you'll work, and if you put your heart to it, you'll love it.

This is coming from the National President of the National Association of Architecture Students, NAAS.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is NECO Result Out? / Deleted / IF You're Or Will Be Running Chemical Analysis Or Characterizations, Gather Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.