Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League (8812 Views)

ESL: All Six Premier League Teams Withdraw From Competition / UEFA Releases Statement About Breakaway European Super League / AC Milan Banned From European Football By UEFA (2) (3) (4)

Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Jiggyronnie: 11:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
Manchester United will not be participating in the European Super League.

We have listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders.

We remain committed to working with others across the football community to come up with sustainable solutions to the long-term challenges facing the game.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/official-statement-on-man-utd-withdrawal-from-european-super-league#

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by tunene66: 11:15pm On Apr 20, 2021
Ope o
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by espn(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
Good...even Tottenham...chelsea...
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Anthony0094(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
All dz withdraw withdraw lyk say Dem Dy withdraw money 4 ATM

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Temptee101(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Starboytwo(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
Greatest team in the world.

Glory Glory M U

22 Likes

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by francisisking: 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
I was thinking of burning my Jersey.... thank God for a change of heart.

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by pickatyou1: 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
My Manchester United

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Davicjoe(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
H
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by sultan1014(m): 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
Our precious Champions league just got saved.
#FanPower
#FansFirst
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by funkybroyouknow: 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
rip Super League
17/4/2021 - 20/4/2021

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Kingv(m): 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2021
Super league dead even before arrival...The beautiful game called football wins!!!

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by cosmatika(m): 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2021
This is quite shameful.
So they didn't do their homework well before announcing a breakaway.
I was hoping to start enjoying the ESL

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by flemsy15(m): 11:34pm On Apr 20, 2021
I knew d super league will collapse but dis will force UEFA into making serious changes in UCL , like the number of participating clubs should be increased to accommodate some big clubs that miss out on top four,
Number of matches Played should be increased by changing from group method to league method.
Thirdly, the amount given to teams should be increased too, imagine just giving 19M Euro to the champions of UCL, money that can't even buy a descent player, these clubs spend a lot and UCL makes enough money which should be distributed justly to the clubs that brought in the money

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by PacAmaru: 11:34pm On Apr 20, 2021
Good for them
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
A win for football worldwide.

As we have been saying since all these brouhaha started,

FOOTBALL IS LIFE

Here is an UPDATE GUYS :
(Someone can create a thread outta this..........)

All six Premier League teams involved in the European Super League have formally withdrawn from the competition.

Football issa Goal cheesy

Manchester City were the first club to formally pull out after Chelsea had signalled their intent to do so by preparing documentation to withdraw.

The other four sides - Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham - have all now followed suit

The 12-team Super League was announced on Sunday to widespread condemnation.

Manchester City confirmed they have "formally enacted the procedures to withdraw" from the Super League.

Liverpool said their involvement in the proposed breakaway league "has been discontinued".

Manchester United said they had "listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders" in making their decision to not take part.

Arsenal apologised in an open letter to their fans and said they had "made a mistake", adding they were withdrawing after listening to them and the "wider football community".

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said the club regretted the "anxiety and upset" caused by the proposal.

English football's 'big six' were part of a group, also containing Spain's Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid and Italy's AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus, that announced plans to form the breakaway league, which they hoped to establish as a new midweek competition.

It was condemned by fans, football authorities and government ministers in the UK and across Europe by Uefa and league associations.

Around 1,000 fans gathered outside Chelsea's Stamford Bridge ground before their game against Brighton on Tuesday to protest at their club's involvement.

Chelsea have yet to release a statement confirming their withdrawal, though BBC sports editor Dan Roan reported earlier on Tuesday the Blues had begun proceedings to pull out of the proposed tournament.

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, who was involved in the Super League discussions, has announced he will step down from his role at the end of 2021.

Leading players at some of the six clubs signalled their disapproval of the planned breakaway league.

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson said on social media his side's "collective position" is they do not want the Super League to take place.

"We don't like it and we don't want it to happen," read a message that was also posted by many fellow Liverpool players.

After City confirmed their withdrawal, England winger Raheem Sterling posted: "Ok bye."

Football issa Goal cheesy wink cheesy

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by FocusedDiva(f): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
One after the other grin
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Earlystar698(m): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
Football fans make una no jubilate yet , they'd pull this stunt double in few years coming...if your wondering for a friend always remember that Buhari promise next level but we're seeing hash level

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by kelvincoll(m): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
sad Who come remain?
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Jackson105: 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
What were they thinking? So they didn't forsee this?

No balls.
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by youngwarlocks: 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
Person wey use elephant set trap naim know wetin em wan catch.

These guys only used this to draw UEFA's attention to their problem.

I believe UEFA and FIFA will look for a way to improve the financial situation of the big clubs and the other clubs otherwise this issue will come up again.
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Rosskiiku: 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
The backlash was just too much against this thing.

They had no choice but to abandon the idea.

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by kingemaker(m): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
Na so so withdraw, pullout I dey hear since morning. Nawa o. GGMU anyways
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Vicotex(m): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2021
Wetin dey occur
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by maxxx(m): 11:36pm On Apr 20, 2021
I heard that mumu ed wayward (woodward) has resigned. If its true then we actually got something tangible from all these brouhaha.
I never liked that man and his managerial style.

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by KingLennon(m): 11:37pm On Apr 20, 2021
Devils
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Cousin9999: 11:38pm On Apr 20, 2021
The UK government?

I guess they want to slow the pace of something like this because a bunch of jobs would be lost. I guess it's also a morale thing.

Either way, still not watching. grin

African leagues, Caribbean leagues, AFCON, CAF, FIFA, CONCACAF >
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by victons(m): 11:39pm On Apr 20, 2021
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by Jiggyronnie: 11:40pm On Apr 20, 2021
Manchester United has today announced that executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward will step down from his role at the end of 2021.

Woodward joined United in 2005 and became executive vice-chairman in 2012.

Ed Woodward said:

“I am extremely proud to have served United and it has been an honour to work for the world’s greatest football club for the past 16 years.

“The club is well positioned for the future and it will be difficult to walk away at the end of the year.

“I will treasure the memories from my time at Old Trafford, during a period when we won the Europa League, the FA Cup and the EFL Cup. I am proud of the regeneration of the club’s culture and our return to the Manchester United way of playing.

“We have invested more than £1bn in the squad during my time here and I am particularly delighted with the progress the players have made under the astute leadership of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his coaching team in the last two years.

“I am sure that with the changes we have made on-field and to the coaching and football staff in recent years this great club will soon be lifting silverware again. It deserves to. 

“I desperately wanted the club to win the Premier League during my tenure and I am certain the foundations are in place for us to win it back for our passionate fans.

“Our world-famous academy is flourishing again, with 34 players progressing into the first team since 2013, and it has been a pleasure to watch talents such as Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood and Axel Tuanzebe flourish in the first team environment. In the years to come the club’s production line of young talent will continue to push established first team players for their places. That competition bodes well for the future.

“We have also established Manchester United Women and their progress is further evidence of the demand for success at this great club.

“The last 16 months have brought so many unique challenges and the club's work in the community and around the world during the Covid-19 pandemic has been heroic.

“The financial impact on football clubs has been severe, but United have been one of the most robust and resilient in the face of extraordinary financial pressures. 

“I would like to thank United’s passionate fans for their support during the good and bad times. I know this has been a challenging period in our history, but your support for the team has never, ever been in doubt.

“Finally, it has been a pleasure to work with so many magnificent, talented and hard-working people.”

Co-chairman Joel Glazer added: 

“Ed Woodward has served the club with great distinction. On behalf of everyone at United I would like to place on record our sincere thanks for his tireless work and dedication.

“His contribution to the club has been massive, and he will always be welcome at Old Trafford as a part of the Manchester United family.”

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-announces-ed-woodward-to-leave-role-at-end-of-2021?
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by kenzysmith: 11:40pm On Apr 20, 2021
Champions league done tire us for the 16 years only 4 countries clubs side has been winning the champions league which are Spain , england ,Germany and Italy it is only proper d compete against them selves what is d point if we have ajax, fernabache and co in d competition when they won't win it uefa and FIFA wetin consign una with this break away league

Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by joelbooks: 11:40pm On Apr 20, 2021
Re: Manchester United Withdraw From European Super League by ORLAHOLUWA(m): 11:40pm On Apr 20, 2021
I no understand this withdraw of a things na una announce before bt na una dey fear I swear this life no balance

Liverpool Vs Tottenham (3 - 2) On 10th March 2013 / Dennis Bergkamp: Tribute To A Legend / Manchester United Vs QPR (3 - 1) - On 24th November 2012