Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,598 members, 7,958,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:59 AM

Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? (1986 Views)

Pls Help Me Review This Forum I Developed. / Can I Call Myself A Good Programmer If I Only Know Visual Basic / I Hereby Conjure All Programming Wizards On This Forum To This Coding Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by Zule(m): 8:55pm On Feb 08, 2006
Hi,
ppls, i think it is high time Basic is introduced to this form to enable our new programmer meet up
SEUN
what do u say about that?
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by Seun(m): 9:54pm On Feb 08, 2006
Yues, BASIC can be introduced. Go ahead and introduce it. Thanks!
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by smartsoft(m): 11:06pm On Feb 08, 2006
Point of correction here.. When u mean BASIC do you mean, Q-BASIC or VB
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by c0dec(m): 11:26pm On Feb 08, 2006
whatever BASIC he means, it's a poor language.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by Seun(m): 11:41pm On Feb 08, 2006
But he is free to introduce it to the forum. BASIC is a useful language if you're not a career programmer but just want to do some automation of tasks you normally perform manually.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by c0dec(m): 12:45am On Feb 09, 2006
my bad grin. he should feel free. for some reason i've always had and anti-bias towards BASIC
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by joftech(m): 2:58am On Feb 09, 2006
BASIC is the most basic programming language. So all newbies to programming should learn that first.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by shockreaction(m): 11:42am On Feb 09, 2006
That used to be true, but now, learning BASIC is like a waste of time. It's semantics and syntax are very very different from the languages being used currently.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by charlisco(m): 11:47am On Feb 09, 2006
please go ahead, i want to learn more of qbasic,
I learnt that they are over 500 keyword statement command in qbasic
i would like to know how to used it, the print command and the remaining 499 command statement
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by wale4x35(m): 2:11pm On Feb 09, 2006
BASIC - Beginners All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

Any newbies to programming may have a look at BASIC, I took QBASIC in first semester of my year one at the higher institution.

I would love to see somebody reminding me of the good old days.

Regards,
Emmanuel
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by sbucareer(f): 3:40am On Feb 10, 2006
[glow=#4efd3e,0,2][size=24pt]QBASIC TUTORIAL[/size][/glow]

QBasic tutorial on window 98

Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by oasis: 4:52am On Feb 10, 2006
Basic is a powerful tool for the novice programmer.  However, as long as the emphasis is on the techniques of programming and problem solving, I really believe you should consider something useful today.  How about Javascript?  It's easy, has tremendous reach, and it only requires a browser to run. 

With javascript, you can graduate to dhtml, ajax, smil, dom, etc, and you'd be ready for grabbing the bull by the horn as far as learning real programming languages is concerned.  Just my opinion.

On the other hand, you probably have a reason for wanting to learn basic.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by sbucareer(f): 1:12pm On Feb 10, 2006

@Oasis, you are right, a lot of programmers including myself do not really understand javascript.  Javascript can also be difficult to learn for young programmer especially when it comes to OOP, because javascript supports OOP.

It is un-typed language like php and uses Microsoft and Netscape Objects a lot.  Like Layers for Netscape and Frames for windows.  I would like someone to recommed a good site to learning javascript.

Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by oasis: 4:28pm On Feb 10, 2006
I used Thau's JavaScript Tutorial at http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/programming/javascript/tutorials/tutorial1.html to learn. I then picked up the book "Javascript" by David Flanagan, from O'reilly.

I'm not lazy at reading, so I managed to read that book cover to cover. It's hard work, but well worth every second.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by yomflo(m): 1:19am On Feb 11, 2006
Yah i know QBASIC and DATABASE IV too, but i'll appreciate it if javascript is introduced
this is my email anyone willing to teach Java and be paid e mail me. This is my E mail yomflo2000@yahoo.com.
Thanks
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by Zule(m): 8:04pm On Feb 15, 2006
Opinion is like a nose every one has one. But mine is that rookies can never be left out in this Forum,
Nevertheless , the Author has given me a go head order, so newbies any one with problem on Basic or rather qbasic in particular should not fail to ask even if i can't help out this is is forum for u to throw in your question
In Addition, for more information on basic please visit
http://qbasicnews.com/learn/tutorials.shtml
for your comprehensive tutorials
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by alexis(m): 1:49am On Feb 28, 2006
Here are tutorials on Basic programming - http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/basictutr.html.

In my humble opinion, why not start with C or PHP and move to java.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by qleyo(f): 11:26pm On Mar 01, 2006
Basic teaches programmers ALOT of bad habits, fine its good for learning but I'd stay clear of it, you can be introduced to programming with ANY language.
I've started on an introduction to programming using C here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-7535.0.html SBU has also started one on JAVA here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-6848.0.html

I will be discussion basic program concepts, so that be it javascript or PHP or whatever you plan to learn afterwards you should (i hope) have a basic understanding of programming languages. Syntax is just one part of programming, understanding concepts and software engineering is another (and one you learn yourself really as time goes along and you do more practice). Anyway for tutorials on BASIC google is your friend grin
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by AbujaBoy(m): 12:19am On Mar 02, 2006
I agree completely, BASIC along with Visual BASIC, teach alot of bad programming habits, I'd advise either Perl or C/C++. C++ although bloated is very efficent, C gets you to about anywhere you need to be, good on ya qleyo, I've got a few C docs. I'd advise for anyone to read "The C programming Language 2nd Edition" known as the K&R to most, or "Learning Perl" For Perl. They are decent books. smiley
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by qleyo(f): 12:59am On Mar 02, 2006
Kernigan's The C Programming Language is more of a reference (its like the C programmers bible), you buy those when you have gotten your feet wet with the basics of the language, like these days I don't bother with remembering syntax I just open my book,  so for now if you are learning its all about tutorials.
Re: Can BASIC Be Introduced To This Forum? by AbujaBoy(m): 1:39am On Mar 02, 2006
Indeed, however it was the first C book I read, I found it very insightful. It's not intended for the light hearted, as with programming in general. www.hurgh.org has a C/C++ book in HTML format, I dunna whether or not its copyright infringement, however its another good read. (Wonders how this is related to BASIC), tongue

(1) (Reply)

The RedMonk Programming Language Rankings: January 2016 / Best School Management Software / Please Help Differentiate Between Computer Science And Computer Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.