Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

After Apprenticeship, What Next? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / After Apprenticeship, What Next? (8233 Views)

Exxonmobil Apprenticeship Programme 2023 / Truck Engineer Apprenticeship: Aba Or Uyo / Welding Apprenticeship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Thazard(m): 10:45pm On Apr 29, 2021
I'm a welding apprentice and I think it's time to prepare for the future.

I have some questions bothering me, I would like to get answers.

1.)After my apprenticeship program is over, how do I get a contract job in companies especially foreign companies.

2.)Do I need any certificate to further my career? If yes, what are they?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by ahmemmygrey(m): 11:20pm On Apr 29, 2021
Did your oga give you any certificate ... If NO

Then u go enter school go obtain am

8 Likes

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by doggedfighter(f): 11:27pm On Apr 29, 2021
Go hustle yours.

2 Likes

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Thazard(m): 11:43pm On Apr 29, 2021
ahmemmygrey:
Did your oga give you any certificate ... If NO

Then u go enter school go obtain am

It seems you guys didn't read my post very well.
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by All4good: 11:44am On Apr 30, 2021
Thazard:

1.)After my apprenticeship program is over, how do I get a contract job in companies especially foreign companies.

The level of welding training you are currently pursuing is called Structural welding in the oil and gas industry. However there isn't much demand for them.
If seeking corporate employment especially in the oil and gas sector you have to up your skill to a pipeline welder.
That said there isn't much difference as a pipeline welder is actually a structural welder. If you received proper Structural welding training, you should be able to strike an arc, sustain it from beginning to the end of your weld. Create effective root pass.

So basically if you are a very good structural welder, if you have learnt from the best, not some tag and weld outfit, then you should be able to pass a recruitment test for pipeline welders. And you don't need to pay anyone for such opportunity because when the opening comes majority of welders fail the test and search for welders is frantic in order to meet up with project start date.

Shalom

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by BruncleZuma: 9:24am On May 01, 2021
grin grin grin grin

Make a difference, there are dime a dozen welders; you have have to find customers and you have to be extremely creative.

Go online look at welding inspiration graphics, there are also videos on how to make complicated designs.

5 Likes

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Lincoln275(m): 9:24am On May 01, 2021
Next level
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by mbahdi(m): 9:24am On May 01, 2021
Oga cool down first your blood too dey hot.you first start by producing like gates.bulgaries,etc.and be sampling at the front of your shop.if your handwork is Good to go.it will sale itself.and thereby paving way for you to be called by a company or what soever.dont sit and fold hand and be looking for white kola jobs.start from the minor ones.weldering is a good handwork.may God bless your start

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by chillybrandy(f): 9:25am On May 01, 2021
I think you should try to be have a relationship with engineers and fellow welders for connection because no man is an island.

6 Likes

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by karzyharsky(m): 9:25am On May 01, 2021
Start join man

1 Like

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by SeaTrade(m): 9:25am On May 01, 2021
I wonder who keep giving you people the ideas that you need a certificate to enter a company or multinational grin grin
That is ridiculous,the multinationals are smarter than you,they all know Nigeria is shit so much so that degrees can be bought so they don't care about that shit.
Let me tell you what they care about;
Are you good at what you do?
Are you cheaper than your peers of the same skillset?
Are you reliable?Can they call you at 2am and you respond?
Can you be trusted with money?(they like to pay upfront)
Now the only challenge you have is breaking into that circle,which is not hard if you ask me.
Let me give you steps;
1) Drive a nice car.
2)Have some money to splash on some of their workers.
3)make them feel they can cut a deal with you for kickbacks and watch the magic happen,
It's not rocket science,its something very easy.
Be smart,be a bull and don't feel inferior,most of these multinational guys weh dey burst una peabrain are just barely surviving to me,maybe that is why I have the confidence to basically interrogate them and get answers.
Goodluck.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by adebayo201: 9:25am On May 01, 2021
Thazard:

Foreign company?? Them still dey this Naija??

1 Like

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by dododawa1: 9:26am On May 01, 2021
ENJOYMENT
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by ebukamat34: 9:26am On May 01, 2021
One of the best ways to get direct jobs is to package your jobs through pictures and videos and flood social media you will get good jobs online.
Thank me later grin
While in other news updates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoqhJFCUZUg
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Charliewyt: 9:26am On May 01, 2021
Foreign companies will hardly award you a contract just because you advertize yourself a welder.

After your apprenticeship, you can seek contracts from local companies and individuals that you will use to boost your CV.

With the pictorial evidencies and work experiencies obtained while working for the said local company, you can now seek contracts from foreign companies.

NB. You will need certificate(s) in welding and fabrications from reputed institutions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Drsnives(m): 9:26am On May 01, 2021
God bless you
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Elyas6: 9:26am On May 01, 2021
Visit my profile if you bet on football matches
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Kennyking1234: 9:27am On May 01, 2021
Read Books on Business.
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Nobody: 9:28am On May 01, 2021
Rest like 4 years b4 u start ur own biz.
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by NrwCrown0217(m): 9:28am On May 01, 2021
Na to open your own shop remain N

You too don turn Oga.

U must to serve before u become Boss

1 Like

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by semuni: 9:28am On May 01, 2021
Try get trade test 1,2,3 ,then apply for big companies, offers comes everyday as far as you have a technical knowledge, but that trade test is the basis. You can register for it around Gbagada if you're in Lagos. Just package your self very well,you won't be an ordinary welder. I have seen many welders making it big in big companies.

Thazard:

6 Likes

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Seniorwriter(m): 9:29am On May 01, 2021
Thazard:

OP aside getting authorized certifications to back you in your Resumé.

I'll suggest you to create a Client Boost Using two basic methods
# Online Presence & Job Competence Portfolio.
# Offline Equipment & Job proficiency

Better Days Ahead

@Seniorwriter
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by totosucker(m): 9:29am On May 01, 2021
Make your oga give you certificate, register your company with CAC and you are good to go

1 Like

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by omoadeleye(m): 9:31am On May 01, 2021
Become a marlian... Cause marlians don't work, they only sit down and flex and money will be coming in.
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by redcliff: 9:31am On May 01, 2021
Thazard:

problem with Nigerians is that they want to fly before crawling. You just finished your apprenticeship and you are already looking for contracts in foreign companies. Oga start with your locality and build up from there.

3 Likes

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Justprodesign: 9:31am On May 01, 2021
Set up

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by Kate06(m): 9:31am On May 01, 2021
Look for money & travel to Rep of Ireland, then, see how you blow in a year.
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by TriCee: 9:31am On May 01, 2021
You start mbuba
Re: After Apprenticeship, What Next? by BigYash: 9:32am On May 01, 2021
mbahdi:
Oga cool down first your blood too dey hot.you first start by producing like gates.bulgaries,etc.and be sampling at the front of your shop.if your handwork is Good to go.it will sale itself.and thereby paving way for you to be called by a company or what soever.dont sit and fold hand and be looking for white kola jobs.start from the minor ones.weldering is a good handwork.may God bless your start
grin You no lie at all. Nigga wan just get big contract once. Na only soap{grace} or better connect fit make that kind thing xup

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quality Assurance/ Control Analyst Let Meet Here / 10 Top-Employee Qualities That Require Zero Talent & Zero Certificates / 12 Ways Covid Is Changing The Work Culture Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.