Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,991 members, 7,810,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? (6136 Views)

Zakatul - Fitr: I Received This From My Muslim Neighbor / Is It Permissible To Wear The Mask Instead Of The Niqab? / Is It Permissible To Eat Pouched Rat (okeete) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Bimpe29: 8:26pm On May 08, 2021
بســـم اللــه الرحــمــن الـرحـــيــم

Question:

Can you give Zakātul Fiṭr using money (instead of staple foodstuff)?

Answer:

This is not valid/acceptable according to most scholars (Jumhūr), and this is the correct stance in this issue, because the Sharī‘ah has prescribed food specifically, so it's not permissible to give money in its place.

The Prophet ﷺ could have instructed them to give Dirhams, but instead he instructed to give food, and this was the practice during the era of the rightly guided Caliphs -raḍhiyallāhu ‘anhum-, as well as the the Ṣaḥābah -raḍhiyallāhu ‘anhum- and all those who came after them.

However, Abū Ḥanīfah disagreed. He saw it permissible to give money instead, but he has no evidence for this.

So the correct stance is that it is invalid, and this is the verdict given by our contemporary scholars, such as Imām Albānī, Ibn Bāz, Al-'Uthaymīn, Al-Wādi‘ē and others, including the Lajnah Ad-Dā'imah (the permanent Committee for scholarly research and Iftā'), all of who hold it to be invalid.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 11, 2021
This is 2021, if you bring cooked food to my house I will reject it to your face. Nigerians must normalize giving hampers during festivities.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by uptimum123(m): 12:13pm On May 11, 2021
Wittyduchess:
This is 2021, if you bring cooked food to my house I will reject it to your face. Nigerians must normalize giving hampers during festivities.

So hampers is your own problem

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 11, 2021
uptimum123:

So hampers is your own problem
No hampers is not my problem

The real issue is people from a certain region like using ajinomoto ( white maggi) to cook till date, this same set of people also use sugar to cook beans.

My stomach is very selective, I can't eat dirty food all in the name of festivities.

Where I come from, we nor dey use shame chop poison, I would rather reject it to your face than put it in a nylon and throw it in the dustbin,then bring the flask for you smiling .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by uptimum123(m): 12:21pm On May 11, 2021
Wittyduchess:

The real issue is people from a certain region like using ajinomoto ( white maggi) to cook till date, this same set of people also use sugar to cook beans.

My stomach is very selective, I can't eat dirty food all in the ne of festivities.

Where I come from, we nor dey use shame chop poison, I would rather reject it to your face than put it in a nylon and throw it in the dustbin,then bring the flask for you smiling .

Lol...got you now
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Sheuns(m): 12:23pm On May 11, 2021
What of instance where you give someone raw food and he has no means to prepare or cook it? Wouldn’t it be better if the person got money instead to buy whatever he wants?

5 Likes

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 11, 2021
uptimum123:

Lol...got you now
Got me where? undecided
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nikeruka(m): 12:25pm On May 11, 2021
[quote author=Wittyduchess post=101581392]This is 2021, if you bring cooked food to my house I will reject it to your face. Nigerians must normalize giving hampers during festivities
[/quote
Some people just comment on what they know nothing about
How is this your comment related to the topic
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 11, 2021
[quote author=Nikeruka post=101581901][/quote] It's not my fault if your brain cells can't find the connection. undecided
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by wisemrtortoise: 12:33pm On May 11, 2021
Wittyduchess:

the food usually isn't cooked food, more like raw stuff like rice, millet etc. so you can use whatever brand of seasoning you prefer

1 Like

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nobody: 12:34pm On May 11, 2021
wisemrtortoise:

the food usually isn't cooked food, more like raw stuff like rice, millet etc. so you can use whatever brand of seasoning you prefer

K
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Olaideolayemi(m): 12:51pm On May 11, 2021
Sheuns:
What of instance where you give someone raw food and he has no means to prepare or cook it? Wouldn’t it be better if the person got money instead to buy whatever he wants?
That's one Alfa advices us..and I believed in it..
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Olaideolayemi(m): 12:54pm On May 11, 2021
There's nothing bad using money..if you offer rice,bean and others grain food..but the person don't have money to buy the ingredients, what's the value of the grain..Islam need knowledge and wisdom..Not just reading verses, without deep translation..

5 Likes

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by AbooTasleemah1(m): 1:12pm On May 11, 2021
Olaideolayemi:
There's nothing bad using money..if you offer rice,bean and others grain food..but the person don't have money to buy the ingredients, what's the value of the grain..Islam need knowledge and wisdom..Not just reading verses, without deep translation..

6 Likes

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Ancientx(m): 1:17pm On May 11, 2021
The essence is to feed someone, isn't it? Look at the scenario of 5 people giving 3 cups of rice each to the same person, The question is what will the person cook it with? Some don't even have cooking fuel let alone pepper or meat. Is he expected to eat only rice? So what happens is the receiver eventually trades it with what he needs and unfortunately gets lesser value for it.
Some give millets or maize. Do they even know the process of turning such things into food?
The other scenario is 5 people giving 1k each which is 5k. By His grace, he will not only be able to feed himself but also his families with good meals and even have leftovers.
Finally, I am not against giving staple food, but I will only wish our Muslim brothers don't impose their ideology on others especially when it is also being supported by at least one of our revered imam. If you want to give food then good if others preferred money even better in my opinion. Allah Knows best.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Ancientx(m): 1:23pm On May 11, 2021
Did the prophet ask you to add money?

When we start to understand the essence of things we will become more tolerant. There are a lot of things we adjusted to accommodate progression in Islam due to its importance and I can give you several examples.

AbooTasleemah1:

That's the problem... This religion needs no modification whatsoever. What was recommended is that you can add money to whatever you're giving out, not that you can replace it with money. Islam is not going beyond the boundary set by the Messenger (salaLlaahu' alayhi wassalam)

1 Like

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Haaj: 1:32pm On May 11, 2021
AbooTasleemah1:

That's the problem... This religion needs no modification whatsoever. What was recommended is that you can add money to whatever you're giving out, not that you can replace it with money. Islam is not going beyond the boundary set by the Messenger (salaLlaahu' alayhi wasslam)

You said " what was recommended is that you can add money to whatever you are giving out" The question here is who made the recommendation? You said the religion needs no modification whatsoever, that is true.
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Olaideolayemi(m): 1:35pm On May 11, 2021
AbooTasleemah1:

That's the problem... This religion needs no modification whatsoever. What was recommended is that you can add money to whatever you're giving out, not that you can replace it with money. Islam is not going beyond the boundary set by the Messenger (salaLlaahu' alayhi wassalam)
There's argument in both preacher about it..But if I offer staple grain, it's money I used to buy it..and that's what Quran said.. instead of me to use money to buy the Staples grain..I can calculate the cost of the grain and gave the money as Zakatul-fitr.. because others peoples can bring rice,and others grain food to the same person..May Allah guide us More..Amin..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Akinbahm(m): 2:25pm On May 11, 2021
Sheuns:

Brilliant question, the law state that zakat tul fitr should be done with food particularly food that's popular in that Nation.

Exceptions in rulings doesn't make them law.

The aim of the law is to put food on everyone's table irrespective of your financial status...

Its accepted one can add money to the food presented if one is financially buoyant to do so just to ease the person burden.

1 Like

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Akinbahm(m): 2:34pm On May 11, 2021
Olaideolayemi:

Exception in laws doesn't make it a law.

We have two type of zakat which are zakat tul fitr (food) and zakat tul mal (money) that's the law we can't b wiser than the supernatural being who made the law.

1 Like

Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by wemimsy(m): 4:40pm On May 11, 2021
Wittyduchess:

My stomach is very selective, I can't eat dirty food all in the name of festivities.

Alatenuje oshi... Them dash u food and u still dey select the kind of recipe dey use... Grade one Atenu
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by AbooTasleemah1(m): 4:51pm On May 11, 2021
Olaideolayemi:
There's argument in both preacher about it..But if I offer staple grain, it's money I used to buy it..and that's what Quran said.. instead of me to use money to buy the Staples grain..I can calculate the cost of the grain and gave the money as Zakatul-fitr.. because others peoples can bring rice,and others grain food to the same person..May Allah guide us More..Amin..
There's no argument but misunderstanding.
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by AbooTasleemah1(m): 4:56pm On May 11, 2021
Haaj:

You said " what was recommended is that you can add money to whatever you are giving out" The question here is who made the recommendation? You said the religion needs no modification whatsoever, that is true.
Scholars striving on the path of knowledge made the recommendation.
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 11, 2021
wemimsy:

Alatenuje oshi... Them dash u food and u still dey select the kind of recipe dey use... Grade one Atenu
Only hungry almajiris like you see it as "dash".

People comfortable and enlightened know not to fill their stomachs with nonsense food, but hungry dirty poverty striken food beggars like you will eat anything even if it's picked off the floor.spits.

If you don't learn to select what goes into your mouth, na that long throat and gluttony go kill you las las. grin grin grin angry
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by 2dominate: 5:12pm On May 11, 2021
I'm not in support op. Money can be used
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nikeruka(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2021
Wittyduchess:
It's not my fault if your brain cells can't find the connection. undecided
I only blame your faulty hippocampus
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Nobody: 6:09pm On May 11, 2021
Nikeruka:

I only blame your faulty hippocampus
Go and learn basic comprehension first . tongue
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Abdomox: 6:42pm On May 11, 2021
Ancientx:
The essence is to feed someone, isn't it? Look at the scenario of 5 people giving 3 cups of rice each to the same person, The question is what will the person cook it with? Some don't even have cooking fuel let alone pepper or meat. Is he expected to eat only rice? So what happens is the receiver eventually trades it with what he needs and unfortunately gets lesser value for it.
Some give millets or maize. Do they even know the process of turning such things into food?
The other scenario is 5 people giving 1k each which is 5k. By His grace, he will not only be able to feed himself but also his families with good meals and even have leftovers.
Finally, I am not against giving staple food, but I will only wish our Muslim brothers don't impose their ideology on others especially when it is also being supported by at least one of our revered imam. If you want to give food then good if others preferred money even better in my opinion. Allah Knows best.

Before now, all these ingredients and sources of fuel are not that difficult to get for the needy, and there's trade by barter.

Using your scenarios, you are allowed to give different grains. It's not a must you use Rice all through. You can use different grain for each family member. E.g Husband=Rice; Wife=Wheat; Child=Dates etc.

Also, have you thought of your Zakat (in cash) being used in an haram way? Yes, your intention is what Allah judges, but why risk such exposure?

So, I will suggest one uses the grains as Zakat, then add cash to it (as Sadaqah) if you think the recipient might find it hard to get the ingredients.

Allah knows best.
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by 77star: 6:48pm On May 11, 2021
ok
Re: Is It Permissible To Give Money As Zakatul Fitr? by Olaideolayemi(m): 11:18am On May 12, 2021
AbooTasleemah1:

There's no argument but misunderstanding.
It's not misunderstanding, but to know the right ones..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Be A Good Person... / Ruling On Premium Obtained From The Insurance Company By Lying To Them / Which Is Better - Giving Zakaah Openly Or Concealing It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.