Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament (16472 Views)

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: Motorists, Commuters Lament Gridlock / Flood Takes Over Oshodi-apapa Expressway (photos) / Lagos-Badagry Expressway Collapses! Motorists, Commuters Suffer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ogododo: 8:08am On May 10, 2021
Motorists and commuters along Oshodi-Apapa Expressway and Apapa environs have continued to languish helplessly in gridlock due to activities of drivers of articulated vehicles who park indiscriminately on the highways amid deplorable state of the road.

The Lagos State Special Traffic Enforcement and Management Team set up by the state Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu to create a new operational template as well as restore sanity after taken over traffic management from the disbanded Presidential Taskforce on Port Decongestion, has abandoned the road without any visible enforcement.

Sanwo-Olu, had, during one of his visits to Apapa ports, stressed that the sharp practices and inadequacies observed in the handling of the container operations at the ports would be escalated to the Minister of Transport, adding that the misconducts of the policemen stationed close to the ports would be reported to the Inspector General of Police (IGP).

Also, the electronic-Call Up system, tagged: ”Eto” which was introduced in February, 2020 to regulate movement of container laden trucks into the ports had since collapsed as truck drivers ignore the system and opted for former arrangements of bribing their way through to the ports.

The new operational template expected to be enforced by a combined team of officers of Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, and the police, has been left in the hands of touts, and transport union members who are busy extorting truck drivers inorder to give access road.

The situation which has continued to worsen on a daily basis, left many motorists and commuters stranded on Sunday, as they spent several hours in traffic.

The Oshodi-Apapa Expressway was completely blocked by truck drivers who parked indiscriminately on the road, leaving no access road to other road users. LASTMA and police officers who were supposed to be controlling the traffic were not on sight, leaving the highway completely shutdown.

Mr Shola Adeola, a motorist who works in Apapa, recounted his experience, saying, “Driving through Oshodi-Apapa Expressway has become a nightmare. The journey that should take me less than 10 minutes I ended up spending four hours from Second Rainbow to Berger Yard. I could not see a single traffic officer managing the traffic. The only men on the road were hoodlums and transport union members. For how long are we the residents continue in this. Government has finally abandoned us to our fate in Apapa.”

Also narrating her experience, Mrs. Elizabeth Akeju, a commuter, lamented: “I spend up to eight hours everyday trying to pass through Mile-2 to Oshodi, my destination where I do my business. No thanks to indiscriminate parking by truck drivers and deplorable road at Lacasera, along Apapa Oshodi Expressway.”

Meanwhile, chairman of the Lagos traffic management and enforcement team, Mr Toyinka Fayinka, who is also a Special Adviser to the state Governor was unavailable at press time for comments.

Reacting to the increased traffic situation in and around Mile 2 and Ijora axis of Apapa, a former President of the National Association Road Transport Owners, NARTO, Mr Inuwa Mohammed said that the Electronic call up system has not been very effective in that axis.

Inuwa also noted that security agents and hoodlums have also taken over the control of traffic between Mile and Tin-Can Island port adding that the road construction currently going on is also a factor that hindering traffic.

He opined that the take off of the Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA, electronic call was not properly done as some factors were not considered adding that there is a need to go back to the drawing board to re-strategize with a view to improving on the free flow of traffic.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/05/gridlock-sanwo-olu-abandons-oshodi-apapa-expressway-as-motorists-commuters-lament-plight/amp/

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by airminem(f): 8:15am On May 10, 2021
Our Darling Daddy, thank you for allowing that money making way continue to decend into the abyss of despair angry. Sanwo OLU if anybody blame you. . .

4 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Koryc: 8:28am On May 10, 2021
That road is terrible.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ogododo: 8:54am On May 10, 2021
Koryc:
That road is terrible.

Sanwoolu don give up, I passed the road not too long ago, on my way to Wharf, I shook my head, how things don spoil finish.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by HRMK: 8:56am On May 10, 2021
IS IT NOT A FEDERAL ROAD?

4 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ogododo: 9:22am On May 10, 2021
HRMK:
IS IT NOT A FEDERAL ROAD?
Na agbero, custom, police full the road.
Lalasticlala.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Nobody: 9:29am On May 10, 2021
ogododo:

Na agbero, custom, police full the road.
Lalasticlala.
I thought custom and police have been giving order to leave control of that axis to LASTMAN

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Lagosfinder(m): 9:54am On May 10, 2021
This road issue isn't ordinary

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ogododo: 9:56am On May 10, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
I thought custom and police have been giving order to leave control of that axis to LASTMAN
Saw army self dey collect roja from danfo and okadas.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ogododo: 11:07am On May 10, 2021
Ojota self don follow join.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by HRMK: 11:11am On May 10, 2021
ogododo:
Na agbero, custom, police full the road. Lalasticlala.
IS THAT THE ISSUE OR U WANT IT RECONSTRUCTED?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ogododo: 11:13am On May 10, 2021
HRMK:
IS THAT THE ISSUE OR U WANT IT RECONSTRUCTED?
Time wastage no be here.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by 24moneyman: 11:46am On May 10, 2021
na wa

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Forex122: 11:46am On May 10, 2021
Good. I think he should be aware of the situation
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Ousmann: 11:46am On May 10, 2021
You can't blame the young man
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by dawson1: 11:47am On May 10, 2021
lol, na wa
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ayenitop: 11:47am On May 10, 2021
he go remember am during 2023 campaign

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Nobody: 11:47am On May 10, 2021
eko oni baje ooo
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by djeneba32: 11:47am On May 10, 2021
shocked
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Nobody: 11:48am On May 10, 2021
SanWo why now.

over 3 million email lists available for 20k only.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Baawaa(m): 11:48am On May 10, 2021
That road is ATM to our security officers
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by ecomalchemist(m): 11:49am On May 10, 2021
shithole state

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Kaybee14(m): 11:49am On May 10, 2021
It is well.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by chukwuibuipob: 11:51am On May 10, 2021
sad
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Keemsleek005(m): 11:52am On May 10, 2021
Thr problem with apapa road are tankers and in nigeria everybody is above the law. You try to clear the tankers they go on strike, its we the same people that will shout that goverment should let them be and oil depots can't be removed from there.
Those tankers have refused using the parks meant for them and i just dont know how goverment will handle them.

Sometimes i think it's military that fit nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by KingAzari: 11:53am On May 10, 2021
Sanwolu is the most timid, stewpid, and brainless finger-pointing idiot to ever govern Lagos state. Everything in Lagos is collapsing under his watch because he wants to please Tinubu's political ambition. F00lani okada riders from Niger, Sudan, Chad and everywhere have taken over all the traffic space in Lagos. They harass, maim, destroy, kill and intimidate other road users who dare to stand in their way. The situation at Iyana Iba and Alaba Rago is getting out of hand and something sinister seems to be germinating in that area.

The federal government is busy fixing Lagos-Badagry expressway but the sooner any corridor is completed, okada, danfo, trucks, tankers, trailers, keke and their associates in crime a.k.a area boys would take over and start unleashing traffic havoc and mayhem.

Fashola was governor in this Lagos and had everything under control but look at Sanwolu, busy pointing fingers up and down except to himself, doing photo ops with kids from Ikorodu and mummy calm down lad while Lagos is burning.

4 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by GreaterFuture(m): 11:56am On May 10, 2021
Problems that have simple Solutions.
The People, the country, it's rulers, are an extreme Anomaly.

Sided body trucks and Full cover body trucks available for hire. Fixed, sure, long-term Job, with a steady route. See Siggy for Contact
Re: Sanwo-Olu Abandons Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, As Motorists, Commuters Lament by Wrathofman(m): 11:59am On May 10, 2021
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Petrol Tanker Inferno On Lagos Airport Road Quelled / Update On Lagos Train/Bus Accident By Health Commissioner, Prof. Akin Abayomi / Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.