Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,260 members, 7,836,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? (33178 Views)

Tenancy Agreement Samples / Abuja Records 30% Decline On Tenancy Fees / The New Lagos Tenancy Law:who Does It Favour Most? The Lanlord Or The Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Sachiopropty(m): 3:08pm On May 12, 2021
CharleyBright:
1. Pls tell the landlord to remove covenant in the agreement.
2. Tenement Rate is paid by the property owner to the govt, it is not the tenant that pays it. So tell him to remove it.
3. The aspect that says Landlord will be allowed to enter the property anytime, should be "when necessary" for inspection. Anytime here could be whatever period of the day even if it is midnight.
4. I am not too comfortable with the 3months notice for vacation. Someone might not have intention of vacating, but something like sudden transfer or relocation comes up which wouldn't permit 3months notice. That aspect should be amended too.

The Agreement is Ok if all these are corrected.

Exactly

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Jerrydox(m): 3:09pm On May 12, 2021
This most be Onitsha ��
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by OlujobaSamuel: 3:17pm On May 12, 2021
The only two clause that you might have issues with as a responsible human is the notice period and privacy.
You are only entitled to 3months notice according to the agreement, also he or his agent can seek to check your apartment at any reasonable time.
The term reasonable might be subjective, but it's what you, him/agent, a witness can easily address. Most of the time, the inspection is based on suspicion of an illegal or criminal activity going in the apartment, so I see no reason to be worried about the agreement.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by UncutSk(m): 3:19pm On May 12, 2021
somehow:

This must be changed.

The landlord does not have right to enter his premises once payment is made without his permission.
learn to read and understand
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by TheAdvocate(m): 3:19pm On May 12, 2021
Whether you sign it or not, 90% of the terms therein are implied by law. My only worry is that paragraph where the landlord can determine your tenancy by giving you 3 months' notice. The law provides for 6 months notice on the part of the landlord. Don't agree for less.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Synord(m): 3:21pm On May 12, 2021
achillesfoot:
. Fake ass, you are asking for money for advice on ordinary tenancy agreements furthermore saying he shouldn't sign it so he will come back to your lying ass.. What set and which Nigerian law school did u pass out from? Answer that before I take you seriously.

Did you see the part I said he should seek a nearby lawyer ? Lol .

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Gavel(m): 3:24pm On May 12, 2021
Do the right thing. Consult a Lawyer.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Gavel(m): 3:25pm On May 12, 2021
TheAdvocate:
Whether you sign it or not, 90% of the terms therein are implied by law. My only worry is that paragraph where the landlord can determine your tenancy by giving you 3 months' notice. The law provides for 6 months notice on the part of the landlord. Don't agree for less.
While it is true that in a yearly tenancy the minimum period of time required in a notice to quit is 6 months, legally, a tenancy agreement can lawfully shorten the duration of a notice to quit to any length of time the landlord and tenant agree, even if it's a day's notice.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Psoul(m): 3:26pm On May 12, 2021
rottable:
The agreement is okay except for number 4, where it states that the landlord can enter your apartment at any time....... You are about to give away your privacy.

In Landlord/Tenancy Law, your Landlord has every right to inspect the house including ur toilets. But that must be agreed between u and him when it will be convenient for you, the tenant. That is why the clause there.....at all reasonable time it never say at any time as u quoted.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by OlujobaSamuel: 3:27pm On May 12, 2021
TheAdvocate:
That's in situation where it's not in an agreement, if you have an agreement and it states 1day or even 2yrs notice, it is going to be taken above the 6months stipulated by law.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Psoul(m): 3:30pm On May 12, 2021
Rahkman:
This one na blood convenant

It is spelt COVENANT not CoNvenant

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Psoul(m): 3:32pm On May 12, 2021
somehow:

This must be changed.

The landlord does not have right to enter his premises once payment is made without his permission.

You are very very wrong.

The law gives him that right but he must access the house/rooms in agreement wt u.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Officialcart3rG(m): 3:33pm On May 12, 2021
rottable:
The agreement is okay except for number 4, where it states that the landlord can enter your apartment at any time....... You are about to give away your privacy.
at any reasonable time, not his house per se, the compound
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by TrebleChamp(m): 3:33pm On May 12, 2021
vision202020:
So I decided to rent a better apartment for myself. So my landlord gave me this tenancy agreement to sign. This is my first time of signing such since I have been renting house so I decided to bring it here for the Learned and Legal practitioners to help me go through it before signing.
Thanks
It is not the responsibility of the tenant to pay tenement rate, plus which one be the term covenant (term looks suspicious)...
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by achillesfoot(m): 3:34pm On May 12, 2021
Synord:

Did you see the part I said he should seek a nearby lawyer ? Lol .

No I didn't see that. I hereby retract my damnning words and offer my sincere apologies. You told him not to sign the agreement that was the part that got to me. I see nothing wrong with it. Those that say the use of covenant is scary, covenant and agreement is just same thing based on different dimensions bound together by a signature. Do not forget English language is derived from Latin. They are inter related. Have a blessed week Mister. You really do have a tough skin, keep it up it will serve you well in the days to come..

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Psoul(m): 3:35pm On May 12, 2021
Lastmankc:
Wetin him mean by allowing the landlord or adult to enter demise premises?Him dey pray make him tenant die?

Chaiii....I can see that our youths are no longer reading and they are now far from understanding.
So this is what u make out of that statement?
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Gavel(m): 3:37pm On May 12, 2021
TrebleChamp:
It is not the responsibility of the tenant to pay tenement rate, plus which one be the term covenant (term looks suspicious)...
The word "covenant" is a standard word in every legal document.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by makemoneywbsite: 3:41pm On May 12, 2021
dominique:
Confusing English. Which one is demised premises Bayi?

Demised owner may be living with the tenant as a ghost in the house.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Gavel(m): 3:48pm On May 12, 2021
makemoneywbsite:

Demised owner may be living with the tenant as a ghost in the house.
Demised property is a legal phrase meaning the property to be let.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by somehow: 3:50pm On May 12, 2021
Psoul:

You are very very wrong.

The law gives him that right but he must access the house/rooms in agreement wt u.
This is why I said his permission must be gotten. That phrase as it is now bogus, it should be rephrased.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Synord(m): 3:51pm On May 12, 2021
achillesfoot:
No I didn't see that. I hereby retract my damnning words and offer my sincere apologies. You told him not to sign the agreement that was the part that got to me. I see nothing wrong with it. Those that say the use of covenant is scary, covenant and agreement is just same thing based on different dimensions bound together by a signature. Do not forget English language is derived from Latin. They are inter related. Have a blessed week Mister. You really do have a tough skin, keep it up it will serve you well in the days to come..

You are welcome boss .

Well, asides the poor draft and use of English language , an agreement is meant to be clear and not open to multiple interpretations.

Clause B3 and B4 is not favorable to the tenant because of the use of “ prior written consent of the landlord “ in B3 and “ to permit the landlord and his duly authorized agent into his apartment “ in B4 do not align with the right to private possession and enjoyment which the tenant is legally entitled to .

The “ Attention” Part that was emboldened in the agreement is even far more problematic .

There are two other stuffs wrong with that agreement and that’s why I advised he consulted a nearby lawyer or even a law student that is well grounded in tenancy and land law to help him .

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by somehow: 3:51pm On May 12, 2021
drealcivilceno:

Yes, when you will banging the bed against the wall like you are fighting WW1. I would like to check if a hole has been made somewhere in my house. Come na space you rent abeg!!!

just kidding. No not regularly, though...
I did not say he can't come check, but that must be with his permission.

Leaving the phrase on the contract that way gives the landlord right to break in without his permission even if the door is locked.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by paragon40(m): 3:57pm On May 12, 2021
incogni2o:

tell him to change the word covenant
and replace it with what?
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by membranus: 4:01pm On May 12, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

If everyone in the world washed their hands properly, we could save 1 million lives a year.

cool

Aint possible.

Price of soap has gone skyrocket.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by helpee(m): 4:03pm On May 12, 2021
Synord:
This is a poorly drafted and ambiguous agreement .

Clause b3 and b4 are ambiguous . The attention aspect of the agreement is ambiguous , unneeded and poorly drafted .

What you are asking for is a professional legal advice which I can offer but of course, it is not free .

I would advise you don’t sign the agreement and if you need proper reasons as to why and what to do next , you can contact me via Pm or seek a nearby lawyer .

Remember , ignorance of the law is not an excuse and violenti non fit injuria .

oga lawyer,say you are looking for client. There is nothing ambiguous in those two clauses. I am not a lawyer. The landlord should have a reasonable right of inspection of his property. They may just time it...maybe annually or six monthly and then with maybe two weeks notice. Secondly, you want to make any structural change to my property even if it is painting, you let me know. That is standard
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by executive12: 4:05pm On May 12, 2021
somehow:

He said at all times

So if he's with his wife in the bedroom, the landlord have the right to burst in?

Like he's living there for free or what?

Even parents seek permission before entering their children's room.

The agreement did not say at all times. It said reasonable time. That implies that the tenant's permission will be sought to ensure that it's convenient for the tenant.
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by achillesfoot(m): 4:06pm On May 12, 2021
Synord:

You are welcome boss .

Well, asides the poor draft and use of English language , an agreement is meant to be clear and not open to multiple interpretations.

Clause B3 and B4 is not favorable to the tenant because of the use of “ prior written consent of the landlord “ in B3 and “ to permit the landlord and his duly authorized agent into his apartment “ in B4 do not align with the right to private possession and enjoyment which the tenant is legally entitled to .

The “ Attention” Part that was emboldened in the agreement is even far more problematic .

There are two other stuffs wrong with that agreement and that’s why I advised he consulted a nearby lawyer or even a law student that is well grounded in tenancy and land law to help him .

Thanks
firstly don't forget we live in a country where nothing works not even the law thereby making the poor construction of English language least of the problems. People that knows how to write the English very well where did it get them or what did they achieve if you aren't a Northerner??
Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Solatium(m): 4:06pm On May 12, 2021
It's just a normal agreement.but insist on him changing 2 things.

1...If the caution fee are non refundable,insist on not taking care of any wear and tear that results in the course of using the place,that is what caution fees are for.

2.. You can decide to change the color of the interior to the one that suits you,so far the cost is coming from you.

insist he change those 2 terms,if he can't just move on to a better person, he's not doing you a favor, it's a business transaction which you must also have a say

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 12, 2021
Synord:
This is a poorly drafted and ambiguous agreement .

Clause b3 and b4 are ambiguous . The attention aspect of the agreement is ambiguous , unneeded and poorly drafted .

What you are asking for is a professional legal advice which I can offer but of course, it is not free .

I would advise you don’t sign the agreement and if you need proper reasons as to why and what to do next , you can contact me via Pm or seek a nearby lawyer .

Remember , ignorance of the law is not an excuse and violenti non fit injuria .

Charge and discharge...na this small question you dey find pm up and down!!!

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by executive12: 4:09pm On May 12, 2021
Lekan239:
and this same ibos are too dirty.

Dirty Everyone, including you, know that 'dirty' is not a word you associate with the Igbos.
It's more commonly associated with the ethnic group that go by the name Lekan, etc. Nigerians generally agree on that.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by Chidimalachy: 4:11pm On May 12, 2021
Don't sign. The tenancy agreement is not comprensible.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sign This Tenancy Agreement? by drealcivilceno(m): 4:14pm On May 12, 2021
somehow:

I did not say he can't come check, but that must be with his permission.

Leaving the phrase on the contract that way gives the landlord right to break in without his permission even if the door is locked.

True... but there are other factors sha.

I have aunt that packed her vital stuff and told the landlady she was coming back for the rest, till today she has not packed.

So to break in is inevitable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ayhomes & Gardens. Sold Out / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities / Families Disagree Over Building Renovation In Lagos - See What They Did (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.