Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,511 members, 7,861,455 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:37 PM

A Walk In The Dark (fiction) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Walk In The Dark (fiction) (378 Views)

Living in The Dark (18+) / A Walk With The Devil (Vol. 1) By Devilpen / Woes Of The Dark Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Walk In The Dark (fiction) by ary14ora: 3:29pm On May 14, 2021
CHAPTER ONE

The golden ray of the sun enveloped the sky, its warmth illuminated the earth below as the sporadic life in Lagos went on oblivious to its existence. It was 2 pm in the afternoon and life was at its busiest, traffic both human and the mechanic was slow, the day filled with its noise, the air thick with the acrid smell of spent fuel and the pungent smell of garbage. A typical day in the commercial capital of Nigeria.

Ade walked out of the building, his trusty backpack slung over his shoulder, he was headed to the bank to make a deposit; the bank was just a few blocks away from but with the traffic it would take him 30 minutes to get there and another 30 minutes to get back to his office, it would have been a lot less without the traffic.

He walked to the nearest bus stop and waited, a couple of minutes later, one stopped and without a bother, he hopped on, his mind already plotting his return.

'Oga give us your money.' The conductor barked in a smoke-cracked voice.

Ade dug into his pocket and fished out a 100 Naira note. Just as he handed him the cash, he noticed a white handkerchief at his feet. He picked it up and showed it to the beautiful lady seated next to him.

'Madam na you get am?'

'Ah thank you, I no even see am! Ah, thank you very much.' She said beaming with appreciation.

'No problem.' Ade said returning her smile.

The bus continued to crawl through the smothering afternoon traffic, which Ade used to hate when he first arrived from Niger state but he soon got used to it and learned to plan his day around it, he could now tell when it would be light and when it would heavy. He would normally not go out at this time of the day but his boss had wanted him to make this deposit and had left him no other choice.

Ade soon started to feel sleepy and rested his head on the metal frame of the rickety bus and closed his eyes.

'Egbon if you reach Star bank for Crocket street abeg stop me there.' To which the conductor nodded his head. He shut the noise, the traffic, and everything else around him out as he was encompassed by the black embrace of sleep.

He opened his eyes a couple of minutes later and found that the car was still rolling on, they should have reached Star bank by now, why were they still moving? He wanted to ask the conductor that but the throbbing in his head felt as though he had been alcohol binging for 3 days; he shut his eyes against the pain and soon dozed off again.

The air was cold and so was the hard floor he was lying on, he could feel other people in the room, and in between shuffling feet, he heard muffled cries. The air was dank with human sweat and something he could not particularly place his finger on. He slowly opened his eyes and immediately found 2 eyes looking into his, he sprang up.

'Who are you?!' His drowsy eyes took in his immediate environment, 'where am I, what am I doing here?' His voice quaked with fear. He looked back at those eyes and found its owner to be a young lady, who was probably the same age as him. He looked properly at those eyes and found something in them that scared him even more. Fear;  pure unadulterated fear.

Ade looked around the single windowed room once again and to his surprise found other people sprawled around the room, in a corner was a little girl, she must not have been older than six. It was her muffled tears that woke him up.

Ade looked at the young woman again, 'Where am I?!'

continue reading:
https://okadabooks.com/user/Hilary_Obiora_2704
Re: A Walk In The Dark (fiction) by ary14ora: 9:24pm On May 15, 2021
Nairaland would not let me post the full book. If you like it, check the link for the rest of the story.
ary14ora:
CHAPTER ONE

The golden ray of the sun enveloped the sky, its warmth illuminated the earth below as the sporadic life in Lagos went on oblivious to its existence. It was 2 pm in the afternoon and life was at its busiest, traffic both human and the mechanic was slow, the day filled with its noise, the air thick with the acrid smell of spent fuel and the pungent smell of garbage. A typical day in the commercial capital of Nigeria.

Ade walked out of the building, his trusty backpack slung over his shoulder, he was headed to the bank to make a deposit; the bank was just a few blocks away from but with the traffic it would take him 30 minutes to get there and another 30 minutes to get back to his office, it would have been a lot less without the traffic.

He walked to the nearest bus stop and waited, a couple of minutes later, one stopped and without a bother, he hopped on, his mind already plotting his return.

'Oga give us your money.' The conductor barked in a smoke-cracked voice.

Ade dug into his pocket and fished out a 100 Naira note. Just as he handed him the cash, he noticed a white handkerchief at his feet. He picked it up and showed it to the beautiful lady seated next to him.

'Madam na you get am?'

'Ah thank you, I no even see am! Ah, thank you very much.' She said beaming with appreciation.

'No problem.' Ade said returning her smile.

The bus continued to crawl through the smothering afternoon traffic, which Ade used to hate when he first arrived from Niger state but he soon got used to it and learned to plan his day around it, he could now tell when it would be light and when it would heavy. He would normally not go out at this time of the day but his boss had wanted him to make this deposit and had left him no other choice.

Ade soon started to feel sleepy and rested his head on the metal frame of the rickety bus and closed his eyes.

'Egbon if you reach Star bank for Crocket street abeg stop me there.' To which the conductor nodded his head. He shut the noise, the traffic, and everything else around him out as he was encompassed by the black embrace of sleep.

He opened his eyes a couple of minutes later and found that the car was still rolling on, they should have reached Star bank by now, why were they still moving? He wanted to ask the conductor that but the throbbing in his head felt as though he had been alcohol binging for 3 days; he shut his eyes against the pain and soon dozed off again.

The air was cold and so was the hard floor he was lying on, he could feel other people in the room, and in between shuffling feet, he heard muffled cries. The air was dank with human sweat and something he could not particularly place his finger on. He slowly opened his eyes and immediately found 2 eyes looking into his, he sprang up.

'Who are you?!' His drowsy eyes took in his immediate environment, 'where am I, what am I doing here?' His voice quaked with fear. He looked back at those eyes and found its owner to be a young lady, who was probably the same age as him. He looked properly at those eyes and found something in them that scared him even more. Fear;  pure unadulterated fear.

Ade looked around the single windowed room once again and to his surprise found other people sprawled around the room, in a corner was a little girl, she must not have been older than six. It was her muffled tears that woke him up.

Ade looked at the young woman again, 'Where am I?!'

continue reading:
https://okadabooks.com/user/Hilary_Obiora_2704

(1) (Reply)

Article Writers Needed For Long Term Project / Untold Story Of Olympian 2021 / Looking For Movie Review/analysis Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.