Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? (1197 Views)

Lead British School Student Bullied, Slapped By Other Students Over Boyfriend / Sudan: Buses Evacuating Nigerian Students Stop In The Sahara Over Non-Payment / ASUU To FG: Universities Will Be Shut Down Again Over Non-Payment Of Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by pocohantas(f): 3:50pm On May 18, 2021
I bet some of us are familiar with this method, maybe some of us were victims sef, lol. Some days back, I saw many kids on the road at odd hours, I was wondering why they would be going to school by that time. Then I remembered school-drive. Is it that time of the term already?

Some schools flog these students before sending them home. They believe they would transfer the anger from the beating to their parents, which would in turn motivate the parents into paying.

Does this work?
Does it even make sense?

Times are hard now for everyone, but we also know schools have operating costs that should be met. How are school administrators coping and what method have they used to get fees from owing students...

Nairalanders that have been victims of this method, did it make your parents pay? grin

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Lcf69(m): 3:53pm On May 18, 2021
Not effective bc,the child cum ward,never signed any contract with the School establishment...... PINNED.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by superfelix: 3:59pm On May 18, 2021
Beating a child for not paying school fees just doesn't make sense and not effective. It's not the child's fault that he or she haven't pay the fees then why make the child suffer for his or her parent inability to pay.. Just doesn't make sense

Sending the child home is the better option and the parents must also be notified that their wards have been sent home and also won't be allowed into the school unless they pay.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Amotolongbo(f): 4:15pm On May 18, 2021
Why should a child be beaten cos of the ineptitude of the parents?

This child never chose schooling, the parents did, though for the child’s good anyway.

It is a crime against humanity and law to beat a child whose parents are unable to pay his/her school fees. The worst is to withdraw the service which the parents can’t pay for from the child until the parent can respect and adhere to the financial commitment.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Ademola47(m): 5:17pm On May 18, 2021
In a myopic sense, it can be quite effective. Some kids fail to remind their parents about their school fees; some even don't deliver letters given to them. Once beaten, and sure of being beaten one more time, such kids deliver the 'message' with immediate alacrity upon getting home, since cane is the only language they understand.

In a rational sense, it makes no sense. Such victims of economically induced belligerent tutors and proprietors develop hard skin and survival instinct should their parents be financially challenged. Trauma sets in. The kids start seeing school as scam. In the long run, the boys and the girls will, if not reoriented, become internet fraudsters and people of easy virtues respectively, by default. Also, hoodlum recruiters may easily spot the material in them and give them premium OT

1 Like

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by izzou(m): 5:53pm On May 18, 2021
During my days, kids were usually barred from entering the school premises. They weren't flogged.

We were only flogged for coming late, or dressing indecently.

I don't see why a school should flog a child for that.

I still prefer the method that Federal Government school applies; PAY BEFORE YOU RESUME

1 Like

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by illicit(m): 5:56pm On May 18, 2021
It's absurd

Why can't they invite the owing parents to PTA meeting and flog them instead

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Alexaonfleek: 9:06pm On May 18, 2021
Noo
This is very wrong
I was a victim of this in primary school.....I came home crying and my mum raised hell on the school authorities because the annoying thing was that I paid my school fees....and the fault came from the accountant.
It was a particular teacher who was doing the flogging of myself and other students...and she got sacked.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Kondomatic(m): 9:14pm On May 18, 2021
I once asked a teacher why they do it and she told me that some of the pupils do not remember to tell their parents about the school fee so the teachers flog them to make them remember.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by cayorday89(m): 10:20pm On May 18, 2021
pocohantas:

Nairalanders that have been victims of this method, did it make your parents pay? grin
As a teacher just few years ago who was well loved by pupils, I stay away from things like this, beating children for non-payment of school fees or anything that requires funding is not the child's fault, some will claim, the child did not tell their parents and I am always wondering if they are not in this country and were not once kids who experienced things like this or know one or two that experienced such if it had any positive impact, also flogging for failing exams is a no no for me, I just look my life, with the excellent passes and one or two shortcomings here and there, na still teaching job it land me, so I viewed life differently from how most of them do and I treated my pupils equally whether brilliant or less intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 18, 2021
Not effective at all, it affected the way i see that school till today.

I had this experience and to imagine that i was just 6 years old when those teachers beat me mercilessly that i could even almost remember their faces for decades because of school fees back then.

My parents finally removed me from that school as the beating was becoming too much and we had some financial struggles then.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by temitope27(m): 6:57am On May 19, 2021
I don't think anyone can beat my child for anything in school
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by talk2hb1(m): 8:03am On May 19, 2021
Flogging is a Slave Master Mentality and ought to be Banished.
Any Teacher who flogged my child is looking for trouble, they are not animal and shouldn't be treated as such.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Concetta(f): 10:56am On May 19, 2021
A school I know once locked up pupils in a classroom over non-payment of school fees. So when school is done for the day and their parents or guardians come to pick them up, they're given the letters which the parent or guardian must agree to its terms before their kids are 'released' to them. Lol
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Kokoboss: 6:22pm On May 27, 2021
Back then in school. Boarding school. Wow I suffered o. The beating too much... It's wrong though..
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by MalaikaEH(f): 10:08pm On May 27, 2021
Neither flogging students nor sending them away for delayed payments is cool. The children shouldn't be flogged because it's not their fault. Also, sending them away from school at odd hour could expose them to danger.

This alternative is safer and may even be more effective. Inform all students and parents that all debtors won't be allowed in school from a certain week of the term, for instance, third week. Beginning from that week, turn debtors back at the gate. Don't allow them into the school. That is, if they still defy the instructions and come.

For those that have been commenting that no teacher should flog their children, please send them to American schools. In Nigeria, some students only respect canes and not teachers, not even their parents. Pray your child is not one of such children. If you ever have one of such children, you will be the one buying bundles of cane for his/her teachers. That is if you truly want them to make a headway in life.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Kokoboss: 4:18pm On Jun 01, 2021
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 01, 2021
Concetta:
A school I know once locked up pupils in a classroom over non-payment of school fees. So when school is done for the day and their parents or guardians come to pick them up, they're given the letters which the parent or guardian must agree to its terms before their kids are 'released' to them. Lol
What a country we live in, if Na for my school that one happen dem go bet sense into the stupid teachers' heads.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by chatinent: 11:20pm On Jun 01, 2021
Me wey mah pay still go join people wey no pay go home. I don't like too much beating in a school.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by chaarly(m): 11:36am On Jun 04, 2021
Hello pocohantas. Please I noticed you've deleted some of your posts and pics especially the ones you took at some beaches in lagos.

A friend of mine needed a vacation getaway on a budget so I was suggesting lagos to her instead of going to some of these african countries and spending way past her budget. I was hoping to login nairaland and send her a link to some of your posts but I noticed you deleted most of them.

Please kindly help me with suggestions on vacation places in lag. Especially the beaches. Or help with their instagram handle.

Thanks!
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by pocohantas(f): 11:49am On Jun 04, 2021
chaarly:
Hello pocohantas. Please I noticed you've deleted some of your posts and pics especially the ones you took at some beaches in lagos.

A friend of mine needed a vacation getaway on a budget so I was suggesting lagos to her instead of going to some of these african countries and spending way past her budget. I was hoping to login nairaland and send her a link to some of your posts but I noticed you deleted most of them.

Please kindly help me with suggestions on vacation places in lag. Especially the beaches. Or help with their instagram handle.

Thanks!

1) Epe Resort and Spa (not a beach)
2) Jara Beach Resort
3) La Campagne Beach Resort

Their instagram handles are just as I have spelt them. They are not so budget friendly, especially the second.

You are welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by chaarly(m): 2:49pm On Jun 04, 2021
pocohantas:

1) Epe Resort and Spa (not a beach)
2) Jara Beach Resort
3) La Campagne Beach Resort

Their instagram handles are just as I have spelt them. They are not so budget friendly, especially the second.

You are welcome.

Thanks very much!
I'll check them out

1 Like

Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by MrMacinterchi1: 4:35pm On Jun 10, 2021
talk2hb1:
Flogging is a Slave Master Mentality and ought to be Banished.
Any Teacher who flogged my child is looking for trouble, they are not animal and shouldn't be treated as such.
that is if they don't behave like one.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by talk2hb1(m): 11:38pm On Jun 10, 2021
MrMacinterchi1:

that is if they don't behave like one.
Seriously?
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by MrMacinterchi1: 12:27am On Jun 11, 2021
talk2hb1:
Seriously?
� 100.
Re: Flogging Students Over Non-payment Of School Fees, Effective Or Not? by MrMacinterchi1: 12:27am On Jun 11, 2021
talk2hb1:
Seriously?
� 100.

(1) (Reply)

It Seems That I Have Squeezed The Scrotum Of The Gods / Mathematics: This 14 Years Old Girl Is Faster Than Computer (video) / This Video Of Fishes Falling From The Sky Will Shock You (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.