Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! (25350 Views)

Poll: How do you feel about this?

it's a dumb idea: 74% (218 votes)
it's a smart idea: 25% (75 votes)
This poll has ended

Know The States That Controls 90% Cash Transactions in Nigeria-cbn / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms / Sanusi (CBN) Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Fhemmmy: 7:38pm On Apr 29, 2011
Obiagu1:

If you do international business, then you should open a dollar account in Nigeria. If you want to transfer $30,000 to the US, simply go to your bank, do a wire-transfer or whatever means you've been using to send the money.
Do you take the $$ cash to the US before? Just asking . . .

So funny of a comment.
banks wont sell $$$ to you.
You have to buy from aboki at the corner of the street, so how much $$ cant you take to the banks, when you cant take more than 150K Naira?

Think about it
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by pluto04(m): 7:42pm On Apr 29, 2011
Personally, I think that this is a brilliant idea from Sanusi. However, I'll prefer that he slightly adjust the policy by not restricting the payment of cash to bank accounts in order to make it convenient for retailers who will still accumulate large volume of cash from different customers and will need to pay it into their accounts. I think that the benefit of the policy will  depend on wether you're a bank, payment processor/digital cash company, retailer, supplier/printer of money (CBN), end user of cash and law enforcement.

Advantages to the Banks

1. Reduced cost of infrastructure to support cash based society - less cash holding at branches, less cashiers to count cash, less cost of cash transport (security, bullion van, etc), less security requirements to secure large volume of cash in bank branches, etc.

2. New business opportunity in merchant accounts and commission on each transaction

3. More liquidity for banks with increase in cash passing through the banks = increased lending = increased money available to banks for trading

4. Increased accuracy of banks to evaluate credit rating of customers since a large percentage of money transactions will pass through the banks = incentives for credit financing, credit cards, etc

5. etc

Advantages to the payment processor/digital cash company

1. Increased patronage payment processor, digital wallet companies, mobile (phone) money companies = increased profitability = business growth

2. Incentive to invest in infrastructure to support cash free society

Advantages for the retailers

1. Reduced cost of infrastructure to support cash intensive operation - less cash holding at shops, less cashiers to count cash, more processing time per customer, less time spent to deposit sales proceed at banks, less cost of cash transport (security, bullion van, etc), less security requirements to secure large volume of cash in bank shops, ability to perform sales transactions involving larger volume of cash, etc.

2. New business opportunity in merchant accounts and commission on each transaction

3. Increase ability to demonstrate business potential to banks for credit financing purpose

4. etc

Advantages to the CBN

1. Reduction in the demand for cash hence reduction the the cost of printing large volume of cash

2. Increased ability to fight money laundry

Advantages to the Law Enforcement

1. Increased ability to fight money laundry and trace bribe and other crime money
2. Reduction in robbery and muggings associated cash based society - robbers will not go to peoples home because the is not a large amount of cash, kidnapping will reduce because the cash will have to be transferred to their accounts thereby defeating anonimity.

Advantages to End Users of Cash
1, Reduction in risks associated with holding large amount of cash - mugging, robbery, etc
2. Not much else.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by deco2come: 7:46pm On Apr 29, 2011
miky:

lol yall dont know what your basing your opinions on. can yall say how this will ruin the economy, its an incentive to get rid of the cash trapped economy.  does it say you cant do an electronic transfer?  in the usa its very common for people to get rejected for trying to withdraw over 10000,  i tried going to buy a car once, i had to wait a week.

Change that money to naira and compare it to the minimum amount this guy wants us to withdraw. Then compare the security system in USA with the security in Nigeria.Even in China, you can withdraw more than 6m a day. After that, I believe you can agree with me that this guy is loosing it big time.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Avenir(m): 7:48pm On Apr 29, 2011
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Ecash1: 7:50pm On Apr 29, 2011
While i commend the effort of CBN , I 'd rather prefer they encourage and reward cashless transactions instead of penalizing cash transactions, Humans are logical being who respond more to rewards then to penalties.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2011
E cash:

While i commend the effort of CBN , I 'd rather prefer they encourage and reward cashless transactions instead of penalizing cash transactions, Humans are logical being who respond more to rewards then to penalties.
lol this one don spoil show, you turn am upside down grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Rastamann: 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2011
What business does Sanusi have to tell me how to do my cash transactions? How can I go cashless and use ATM when bank workers and their collaborators capitalize on people's pin to defraud them when they use the ATM. Sanusi should first create the enabling environment by getting rid of bank workers defrauding innocent customers before this his cash limit can work.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Mehiedu(m): 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2011
what is this man up to?
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by parki: 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2011
a very good policy. . . . love it! people should learn how to walk around with little cash, thats why we have visa cards for payment etc, hopefully people would start to install them in shops etc, its the 21st century guys, no one goes around having 150k in their pockets thats how u get robbed
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by tosyn92: 8:04pm On Apr 29, 2011
all these monstrous buildings serving as bank branches are crass.can't we have simple bank halls replicated around the corner to reduce everyone gathering at a spot to admire your fine interiors and waste half of our days?
do we really need these monstrous buildings that look like covens as bank branches?when the service inside is c rap?
is it not a waste of resources?

My thoughts exactly. Many of the banks I've visited here in the U.S are not as extravagant as the once in Nigeria, but their services are 10 times better. I still operate my NYSC GTB account from here in the U.S, and I usually call the customer service line once in a while. I Can tell you that the difference is as clear as daylight! Many Nigerian customer service reps always sound angry, and more often than not, they think they are doing you favour. To say the least, customer service in Nigerian banks is nothing to write home about.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by MMM2(m): 8:14pm On Apr 29, 2011
Sansui u re a poor bastard do u know how much i use in run my business on daily basis dis is sh-it & if 9ja peòple allow dis dey re fuc-king up,
anyway till next year poor fu-cking sansui & may God 4give u.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Grassroot: 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2011
I believe his intentions are good but I think this is a very dumb idea to realize his intentions. If he wants to reduce liquid cash flow in the economy, then he has to promote development of electronic transactions and make Nigerians put faith in it over time. In that case, it would come naturally for people to move around with little cash knowing that their money is better secured and better managed electronically.

By the way, 150,000 is not very much (its just a little below 1000 USD or 750 Euros). Even in advanced countries with well developed electronic systems, this money is not too much to carry about. This is very silly because it is not really a large sum of money. There is no where in the world where such restrictions are imposed and I don't think our economy is mature enough to sustain such restrictions. This is only going to make more persons to be dubious as they would now try to beat the system. Banks might also break the rules secretly and this would cause a bigger circle of crime than he is trying to prevent. At times, I wonder if these so called "leaders" consider the effect of their policies before even letting them out. Its really very funny.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by omanzo02: 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2011
Mehiedu:

what is this man up to?

Rastamann:

What business does Sanusi have to tell me how to do my cash transactions? How can I go cashless and use ATM when bank workers and their collaborators capitalize on people's pin to defraud them when they use the ATM. Sanusi should first create the enabling environment by getting rid of bank workers defrauding innocent customers before this his cash limit can work.
Dudes,

Its a good policy in my oppinion, Here in Europe, there is a particular amount of money u can withdraw from your ATM account and physical cash withdraw per day ( is it not our personal money?). And since February 2011 u can not make payment outside the EU anymore with your bankcard (Maestro), it's a way to improve cash flow in a internal economy. So learn how to live with it and stop complaining. grin grin grin
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by lanrubi(m): 8:28pm On Apr 29, 2011
sanusi sha, we no go sha leave this country for u, this is another source of income for banks
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by omanzo02: 8:41pm On Apr 29, 2011
Grassroot:

I believe his intentions are good but I think this is a very dumb idea to realize his intentions. If he wants to reduce liquid cash flow in the economy, then he has to promote development of electronic transactions and make Nigerians put faith in it over time. In that case, it would come naturally for people to move around with little cash knowing that their money is better secured and better managed electronically.

By the way, 150,000 is not very much (its just a little below 1000 USD or 750 Euros). Even in advanced countries with well developed electronic systems, this money is not too much to carry about. This is very silly because it is not really a large sum of money. There is no where in the world where such restrictions are imposed and I don't think our economy is mature enough to sustain such restrictions. This is only going to make more persons to be dubious as they would now try to beat the system. Banks might also break the rules secretly and this would cause a bigger circle of crime than he is trying to prevent. At times, I wonder if these so called "leaders" consider the effect of their policies before even letting them out. Its really very funny.

I believe it's high time the Central bank introduces a central electronic bank payment system, so that an individual can have a bankcard for large and little sum of money. they should encourage wholesalers and retailers to acquire a special electronics device with a central secure codes and accounts for receiving payments for good and services. Country like Turkey are not better than Nigeria in terms of trading structure yet the system is working perfectly there.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Excellent7(m): 8:46pm On Apr 29, 2011
When I heard this news, I came to the conclusion that the CBN leadership has most likely run out of ideas and that we have seen the best possible from the guy in charge. (this was my conclusion too when Aunty Dora, started telling us not to call Nigeria: Naija, when there were more pressing issues)
Don't get me wrong! I love technology assisted banking and payment (use of POS) and having been using it since 2006 in Nigeria. But when the banks went viral with funny deductions and charges, coupled with loss of funds from ATM even in amounts thay cannot be drawn from an ATM like 95,600.50 NGN, I just submitted my 2 ATM cards to the bank ro be deactivated, and refused to use my renewed mastercard.
At the moment the banks are stealing us silly by paying less than 3% on most deposits while charging in excess of 20% on for loans. To me this is usury!, and CBN does not act, instead they are talking of heavy penalties for depositing or withdrawing my own funds, without first developing alternative infrastructure. To me the banking system as operated is just predatory (especially on customers)
Its somewhat funny because it seems to me that the best way for somebody wiyh reasonable cash turnover to lose money is going to be depositing it in the bank.
Before I forget, whe is the guy starting the islamic banking. It might be a good option if I do not have to get useless interest and in turn not paY COT!
i
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by bfire(m): 8:58pm On Apr 29, 2011
Europe, America, Asia even some Africa countries are NOT on the same level with Nigeria when it comes to infrastructures; WE DONT HAVE the BASIC INFRASTRUCTURES.

CBN and other commercial banks are part of Nigeria, within 9ja and operational in Nigeria environment.

Who says it's not idea? Whenever i'm in Nigeria i'm not comfortable at all carrying cash about. We can't do this in a YEAR time!

Think about the internet how many people in Lagos (just to use this as example) have access to it?

What about the almighty LIGHT/POWER?

These two can't be divorce from the usage/attainment of this lofty idea; an it remains a lofty IDEA.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by sleekfella(m): 9:01pm On Apr 29, 2011
Its a very good ideal,it will cut cost,reduces corruption,it ll reduces cases of armed robberies. But i believe d limit and incentive and penalties issue shld be review.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 29, 2011
August 2007 Soludo spoke of naira redenomination.
April 2011 Sanusi speaking of cashless banking.
Like say curse dey follow the CBN governor office,and it happens every election year.
We 'll recommend they give him the Soludo treatment. Hope it wont turn tribal or political.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by okooyinbo(m): 9:10pm On Apr 29, 2011
This is a really silly policy. I wonder how these people arrive at these senseless policies. What will happen to the retailers who make sales in excess of Naira 200000 per day? Somebody should tell these guys that this policy is really really baaaad.

What I experienced last year while I was in Nigeria was also a nightmarish of a policy. After having been robbed, I called my wife to send me money which she promptly did. When I wanted to collect the WU, I was told I could only do so if I had an account with the bank or if someone having an account with the bank could identify me. Total out of this world! If my brother were not with me, I would have had to go back home to get somebody with a bank account to identify me.

And the passport thing is no different. I have a valid passport (valid till 2014) that I can not use to travel to Nigeria right now because of the sillyness of these policy makers.

I hope something is done about this, even if I am not directly affected right now.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by osas007(m): 9:12pm On Apr 29, 2011
this is the greatest thread i have ever seen, this man is an idiot abeg, what da hell,
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by SSaemoenl(m): 9:13pm On Apr 29, 2011
Good for the ECONOMY! wink
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by chykeo1(m): 9:29pm On Apr 29, 2011
For those of us who think and feel that SLS is illogical (to put it mildly) should consider this, we all sitting at the confine of our homes/offices and typing out our tots; SLS seats at the helm of the banking economy and sees the entire big picture of the economy. To say the least & and in fairness to him, his decisions are based & focused on growing the economy. We are aware of his track history to show for this.

My tots are these: lets form constructive criticisms if we must and desist from short-sighted statements (esp from people that have no faintest idea of how the economy works).

NB: A prophet is truly without honour in his house.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by fxtopedia(m): 9:34pm On Apr 29, 2011
Any policy either from the North(developed Economy) or from the South(Under-developed Economy) will certainly have positive and negative sides!
An attempt to employ POLICY from developed economy such as the USA,UK,Canada etc without syncronsing the real state of the economy would only
amount into illusion.

Statutory and Regulatory framework are meant for ensuring ethical practices in the banking industry. These regulatory includes Failed Bank (Recovery of Bank)
and Financial Malpratice in Bank Decree NO 18 of 1994, BOFID NO 25 1991 as amemded 1998 otherwise known as BOFIA. NDIC Decree. Even The Money
laundering Decree 1995 are all meant to tame the banks NOT CUSTOMERS!!!

Nigeria is not yet developed to the point of enforcing limit on cash transaction. These are likely effect of this policy:

Reduction in Banking Habit: Many people most especially the illiterate might prefer to returns to old ways of keeping money. LOL
Inflation might be checked: Since the policy will reduce the amount of cash in circulation, hence inflation could be curbed.  LOL X7
Closure of some bank branches: LMAO X2
Unemployment Galore: Yes, you read it well! Many a bank will have to retrench because the policy will affect their returns. LMAO jare
Social Vices: Yes, it could give room for armed robber to attack people at night, knowing fully well that some people would keep money at home. ROFLMAO

Let us all wait and see!

PS: You can also add more challenges of this policy.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Stealthy(m): 9:40pm On Apr 29, 2011
Grassroot:

I quite agree with this poster. Why does it have to be a law? If they want to improve the system, why not just make it easier for people to do electronic transactions? Look at ATM use for example: did CBN have to make any draconian laws for people to start using ATMs? once the system is robust, people will naturally go for the better option. You don't need CBN for people to know the risks of carrying lots of cash, but as it is, the infrastructure is not there yet (and not likely to be in place within one year). For electronic, cheque and credit card systems to work well, we need not only the electricity & internet facilities, but also a proper judicial system as well as a good credit rating system, both of which are almost absent.

Besides, why does the CBN have to limit how much people can withdraw (and even worse, deposit!) in a day? Sometimes, it's good to compare what we're doing to what others are doing. I have been to many countries, but I have NEVER seen anywhere where you are not allowed to withdraw more than $1,000 in a day. Sure, you're ENCOURAGED to go cashless, but not in an authoritarian way like this. Give people the right incentives and they'll move where you want them to go.

For the banks, it will even be worse because people will now just split their transactions into many units to meet the law. Banks will now have many more transactions than they currently do. Surely, that cannot be a good thing.

As others have also pointed out, this will also result in lots of people simply opting out of the banking system for their transactions, completely negating the intentions of the new law.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by okooyinbo(m): 9:42pm On Apr 29, 2011
omanzo02:

Dudes,

Its a good policy in my oppinion, Here in Europe, there is a particular amount of money u can withdraw from your ATM account and physical cash withdraw per day ( is it not our personal money?). And since February 2011 u can not make payment outside the EU anymore with your bankcard (Maestro), it's a way to improve cash flow in a internal economy. So learn how to live with it and stop complaining. grin grin grin

Where in Europe are people fined when they withdraw or deposit a stipulated amount of money? In my 20 yrs or there about in Germany, I have never heard of such a policy in this country. And mind you, I did my internment in a bank.

It is true that you can not deposit more than EUR 10,000 without saying where you get the money from. However, this has gotten nothing to do with encouraging cashless transaction, but rather is a tool to couner money laundry and lately international terrorism.

And the reason you can not cash more than a certain amount of money at an ATM is really simple. You sould know that!
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by oyadashme: 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2011
Not sure I understand the logic behind this, it could work if we ramp up on few things e.g.e-payment via mobile or web, mandatory use of cheque/atm over a certain amount of money etc.

The policy is not unheard of as some western countries will not let you withdraw money above a certain amount without prior notice to them and if you don't give them that advance notice you will pay a penalty.

The banks will eventually introduce some fancy account types that will avoid this penalty, I think we are in for interesting times and potentially a big mindset shift in the economy,
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by CrudeOil2(m): 9:47pm On Apr 29, 2011
Sanusi Lamido is a big foool. Thats one thing with radicals, they don't think before they act. Soludo wanted to implement this policy during his regime, but he thought deeply and realised that the Nigerian economy was not ready for this. Radical Sanusi should ensure that we are able to achieve steady power first before he thinks about implementing a policy that requires steady electricity.
It seems like after he listed by time magazine as an influential person, he wants to garner more popularity and unworthy praise. He is a foool!
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by odumchi: 10:12pm On Apr 29, 2011
This policy us geared to try and reduce inflation but here are the cons:

As people use cash less, the use of checks and credit will increase creating an era of high spending. But overtime, people will not actually have enough money for what they are buying creating DEBT. This policy is also a warning on how Taxation is becoming rampant in Africa. The govt has more than enough funds so a tax-free way to reach this goal must be possible.

But this is out of hand.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by omanzo02: 10:12pm On Apr 29, 2011
okooyinbo:

Where in Europe are people [b]fined when they withdraw or deposit a stipulated amount of money?[/b] In my 20 yrs or there about in Germany, I have never heard of such a policy in this country. And mind you, I did my internment in a bank.

It is true that you can not deposit more than EUR 10,000 without saying where you get the money from. However, this has gotten nothing to do with encouraging cashless transaction, but rather is a tool to couner money laundry and lately international terrorism.

And the reason you can not cash more than a certain amount of money at an ATM is really simple. You sould know that!

Dude

In place like Belgium where I am, the electronic system in every banks are design not to permit a certain withdrawer (as long u dont get the access u dont get a fine), at counter withdrawer the casher will explain what is permited and what is not. For a large sum withdrawer u need a special appointment.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by EPOMA(m): 10:15pm On Apr 29, 2011
10cirenoh:

Why didnt this happen before election period?

More to come , the story is just beginning. End of part 1 look out for part 2
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by EPOMA(m): 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2011
bfire:

Europe, America, Asia even some Africa countries are NOT on the same level with Nigeria when it comes to infrastructures; WE DONT HAVE the BASIC INFRASTRUCTURES.

CBN and other commercial banks are part of Nigeria, within 9ja and operational in Nigeria environment.

Who says it's not idea? Whenever i'm in Nigeria i'm not comfortable at all carrying cash about. We can't do this in a YEAR time!

Think about the internet how many people in Lagos (just to use this as example) have access to it?

What about the almighty LIGHT/POWER?

I would like to agree with you on this, I think if CBN were serious about this. They should have just put a limit , end of story and not fines. Politicians and criminals would pay any fines so far they get their way

These two can't be divorce from the usage/attainment of this lofty idea; an it remains a lofty IDEA.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mile 12 Market Comes Back To Life After Deadly Tribal Clash / Over 0.5 Goals Punters Calling / Innoson Group Now Has Seven Industries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.