Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,633 members, 7,858,348 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 01:06 PM

The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul (1033 Views)

Jam Of Lyfe: #politicsnabigbuisness / Top 6: Pioneers Of Modern Rnb And Pop In the Nigerian Music industry / intimacy By Lyfe Jennings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by RuuDie(m): 4:58pm On Jul 12, 2007
Not that he'd wish it on anyone, but it was during his ten-year sentence in prison that Lyfe Jennings developed his honest sound, thanks to isolation and Erykah Badu. It was an arson charge that put the Toledo, OH, native in prison. His musical aspirations started in the church choir and grew in the Dotsons, a teenaged group that Lyfe formed with his brother and a couple cousins. Prison made his music deeper, according to Lyfe, and when a copy of Erykah Badu's Baduizm ended up in his cell in 1997, he was inspired and had the feeling that this introspective edge to his music was worth developing. Two days after his December 2002 release from prison, he was recording a four-song demo CD. The day after that, he was performing live in a club. He only had a month of freedom before he was on-stage at the famous Apollo. He was booed when he walked on-stage with an acoustic guitar, but when the Apollo audience heard his gritty falsetto and lyrical songwriting, they were swayed -- swayed to the tune of five amateur-night victories in a row. Lyfe figures he sold a thousand copies of his four-song demo CD during his Apollo "residency." That, along with a ton of calls from promoters and record label execs on his answering machine back in Ohio, influenced Lyfe to move to New York City and pursue a major-label deal. Columbia had the right offer and released his debut, Lyfe 268-192 (his inmate number), in August of 2004. A year after its original release, the album was reissued with a new version of "Hypothetically" featuring American Idol winner Fantasia added as a bonus track. The more hip-hop-oriented follow-up, The Phoenix, arrived in 2006 with Three 6 Mafia and Young Buck making guest appearances.

I love "stick up kid", "intimacy.", "Must be Nice" and "Lets stay together" - his songs are so filled with positive messages . . .
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by iice(f): 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2007
lyfe! kiss kiss
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by RuuDie(m): 4:44pm On Jul 16, 2007
iice:

lyfe! kiss kiss

know him ?

Lyfe Jennings - does Soul with a huge R'n B influence . . . he's got 3 albums out now The Phoenix, Lyfe 268-192 Special Ed. and Lyfe 268-192 . . . he's pretty good, got great ruff-cut vocals like 'em southside thugs but he sure can croon!
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by gbadex1(m): 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2007
Lyfe, it is!

I never some peeps in here appreciate good music! cheesy

". . .S. E. X,
think before you let it go"

. . .or something like that cheesy! There's one other song that was about him being like Robin Hood, kinda. . .pretty good song smiley
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by gbadex1(m): 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2007
Lyfe, it is!

I never knew some peeps in here appreciate some good soul music! cheesy

". . .S. E. X,

. . .or something like that cheesy! There's one other song that was about him being like Robin Hood, kinda. . .pretty good song smiley
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by RuuDie(m): 5:43pm On Jul 16, 2007
gbade. x:

Lyfe, it is!

I never knew some peeps in here appreciate some good soul music! cheesy
". . .S. E. X,

. . .or something like that cheesy! There's one other song that was about him being like Robin Hood, kind of. . .pretty good song smiley

intimacy. - thats the hit single from the Phoenix album  . . . the message on that 1 really got me thinking, man!

good music is like a hot-chic man, just can't be hidden away from the limelight . . .
think that'd be stick-up kid that you be talking about . . . i'm tryna get the whole lyfe collection man. i'm dangerously in luv with this dude's flow!
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by iice(f): 3:36am On Jul 17, 2007
RuuDie:

know him ?

Lyfe Jennings - does Soul with a huge R'n B influence . . . he's got 3 albums out now The Phoenix, Lyfe 268-192 Special Ed. and Lyfe 268-192 . . . he's pretty good, got great ruff-cut vocals like 'em southside thugs but he sure can croon!

LOL yeah i know him. . .had like 2 of his albums b4 my pc crashed. . .love his voice kiss
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by RuuDie(m): 7:59pm On Jul 17, 2007
Didn't knw jack abt him till i saw d intimacy video. . So tripped i was, started checkin him out! Still tryna get his songs, only got 3 now. . Listenin 2 'em right now!
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by iice(f): 5:32am On Jul 18, 2007
I didn't even see the video b4 i knew him. My bro is crazy about music so i get to hear alot of artists b4 they hit. Sometimes even when they don't hit, i still know about them.
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by tkb417(m): 12:28pm On Jul 18, 2007
@iice
i saw that uve gat more than 10,000 posts herein. gawd!! How come? did you start with Nairaland. I see posts everywhere. Anywayz, can i get your email addy?

Just wanna say wassup. mine is demosleek@yahoo.com.
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by iice(f): 12:31pm On Jul 18, 2007
Erhhh no i didn't start with NL. . .so i like to talk (sue me) tongue grin

And you have said wassup. . .so no need for the mail grin
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by tkb417(m): 12:35pm On Jul 18, 2007
@iice
i still want your email anywayz
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by iice(f): 12:36pm On Jul 18, 2007
From seeing all my posts scattered on NL. . .surely you know i don't give out my email. Sori oh!
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by tkb417(m): 12:37pm On Jul 18, 2007
@iice
For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain
what the hell is this. ive been cracking my brian for 2 weeks now.

Oya solve the riddle now now
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by iice(f): 12:43pm On Jul 18, 2007
Arrghhhh bloody 'ell! grin grin This my siggy is causing wahala. . .better change it masef. . .make you no worry about am grin. . . tis not for me to solve. . but for you to understand. . .abegi make we no scatter this thread b4 pesin con vex

@Ruudie. . .apologies grin
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by RuuDie(m): 5:46pm On Jul 18, 2007
iice:

Arrghhhh bloody 'ell! grin grin This my siggy is causing wahala. . .better change it masef. . .make you no worry about am grin. . . tis not for me to solve. . but for you to understand. . .abegi make we no scatter this thread before pesin con vex

@Ruudie. . .apologies grin

no sweat. . . pretty much used to jacking other pples thread, so i really don't mind - besides, its a public place grin

@Topic
The l'il interlude or should i say outrolude at the end of all his songs where he k'inda explains the morals behind the song just makes 'em k'inda unique and really sets him apart.

i've now gotten 2 more of his songs - making 5 . . . i'm absolutely determined to get everything lyfe has ever done in his career!
know anybody out there who can help?
Re: The "lyfe" Of Modern Soul by Rapsody(m): 10:23pm On Jul 27, 2007
Erm, excuse me, I cudnt help bt overhear yall,drooling over jennings.Yo, where did yall leave my man Musiq(the child of soul itself.).Go ask india arie,she wud testisfy 2 d T.R.U.T.H. Beta yet lisen 2 'ijuswannaseing' or more recently 'B.U.D.D.Y' by my man musiq,then yall wud recognize who d true prophet of neo-soul is. I luv lyfe bt no body rockz my soul like muziq soul chyld.Heard his collaboratn wt carlos santana? Nw u see my vision!

(1) (Reply)

Kel On Mtv Base/zain Advanced Warning! / Blaise Ft Ego - Lasan / @@@@@@

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.