Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone (28743 Views)

What Is The Cost Of A New SIM Card In Your Area? / Has Anyone Been Able To Buy A New SIM Card Since The Ban Was Lifted? / I Keep Receiving strange Bank Alerts On My New Sim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by maasoap(m): 8:20pm On May 23, 2021
Frontail:
grin.. Don't worry the Network , Ncc , EFCC and other relevant agencies are fully aware of the Time the line was reallocated to you ! So calm down !
Investigation of any crime before it was reallocated to you will not affect you !
But new crime committed after that .........

NA Your Nyash e go Jammmmm grin grin grin

In this Nigeria of today? Even if they know the truth, the person might still spend money and time to get off the hook.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 23, 2021
maasoap:

In this Nigeria of today? Even if they know the truth, the person might still spend money and time to get off the hook.
... That wan na Police Money for Kola now grin grin grin
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by officialmario(m): 8:29pm On May 23, 2021
Please what is the number?

So my point now is this, why did this particular network re-sell a SIM card that was previously used by another person? Who knows the kind of person that had previously us
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by princewarri1985: 8:37pm On May 23, 2021
Network provider reassign lines that has been dormant for months to another customer. This very bad i must confess because it has happened to me too when i bought my mtn line 2 years back and i still get alerts from stanbic bank till date and the name in the account is ezenwa, december last year i got an alert of 2 million naira, do you know how annoying it is to keep getting alerts for money that is not yours??
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Bankowner: 9:14pm On May 23, 2021
advanceDNA:

U are a funny human being...

U are just playing around with words.... the guys is complaining that he received text... of course he’s talking about the number not the plastic SIM card

You are the funny one my brother. You don’t have the capacity to interpret or give meaning to what the OP has asked because you are not in his head. He asked for clarification because he doesn’t understand and that is exactly what I gave him.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by advanceDNA: 9:15pm On May 23, 2021
Bankowner:

You are the funny one my brother. You don’t have the capacity to interpret or give meaning to what the OP has asked because you are not in his head. He asked for clarification because he doesn’t understand and that is exactly what I gave him.

Yes sir...Mr clarifier....
We understand u great explanation ..

Thank you sir
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Frankel7(m): 9:20pm On May 23, 2021
I still get calls on my Etisalat line & always gets to be addressed as Mummy Elder though am not a woman. I am already tired of telling them it's a wrong number...!!

1 Like

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by whatmoreng: 9:24pm On May 23, 2021
TVTKOKO:
Presently going through similar problem.
The sim I've been using all my life just all of a sudden started storing strange contacts.
Detected it when i was using Whatsapp. I wanted to limit my status views and then boom!i began to see strange contacts i never stored!
Hmmm!!
Any idea why? I have noticed same on my contact list
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Bankowner: 9:26pm On May 23, 2021
advanceDNA:

Yes sir...Mr clarifier....
We understand u great explanation ..

Thank you sir
Good boy! I salute.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Alexdon200089: 9:47pm On May 23, 2021
It's a norm in telecommunication to recycle lines, reason is that telecoms are paying for dormant lines to federal government.... It is mandatory that you don't keep your line dormant for more than 3months,else it will be recycled...Truth be told there is nothing like new or virgin lines in the system of telecomms..Every line you bought now has been used by someone else before you.. No Telecommunication company is producing new line, it's all a recycled lines..
If you know that you don't want your line recycled you have to activate what MTN call KMN(keep my number) it comes in 3category with charges(1year,2years and 3years)...
If you encounter such ugly incident, just know it's not your fault neither it's the company...it's the fault of the former not to retrieve the line before ot was reassigned back to the system
Tell your bro to go to the telecommunication company of the line and know if the line was actually registered by him or by someone else..If it was registered by him, then there is no problem..If it's by someone else i suggest he ask for reregistration of the line to be primarily assigned to him as the bonfide owner of the line|In cases where lines are not registered by the owner is advisable you don't go further using it for your personal documentation...

NB:I work with MTN�
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by TVTKOKO(m): 9:51pm On May 23, 2021
whatmoreng:

Any idea why? I have noticed same on my contact list
Bishopwizzy:
It's like you logged someone's google mail in your phone. Those contacts could be the persons contact from the email.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Quintuple: 9:52pm On May 23, 2021
Onyenna:
@Bankowner ....
That was how i bought an Etisalat line some years back and started getting credit alerts from two different banks i don’t use..... I was damn confused at first but then I realised someone else had used it before me. I even started getting messages from police officers. An officer once called me to congratulate me on my promotion to Inspector!!! I later stopped using the line though.....
Also, after my younger brother travelled to Canada, Mtn resold his line. Guess what?.... The new owner started recharging his line from my brother’s account. He was buying N10k credit. Sometimes N5k. My brother got several email alerts and later removed the line from his account.....
How was the guy managed to get your brother's password/PIN for transaction validation?
Just curious!!
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Fantazy(m): 10:05pm On May 23, 2021
Also, after my younger brother travelled to Canada, Mtn resold his line. Guess what?.... The new owner started recharging his line from my brother’s account. He was buying N10k credit. Sometimes N5k. My brother got several email alerts and later removed the line from his account.....[/quote]

How will your brother keep on linking the number he is not using again to his bank account? He should have changed it na!
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Fantazy(m): 10:08pm On May 23, 2021
Onyenna:
@Bankowner ....
That was how i bought an Etisalat line some years back and started getting credit alerts from two different banks i don’t use..... I was damn confused at first but then I realised someone else had used it before me. I even started getting messages from police officers. An officer once called me to congratulate me on my promotion to Inspector!!! I later stopped using the line though.....

Also, after my younger brother travelled to Canada, Mtn resold his line. Guess what?.... The new owner started recharging his line from my brother’s account. He was buying N10k credit. Sometimes N5k. My brother got several email alerts and later removed the line from his account.....

How will your brother keep on linking the number he is not using again to his bank account? He should have changed it na!
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by AOTEMN: 2:26am On May 24, 2021
By the time the Trump administration had placed travel restrictions on Europe, the importation of the virus and the community spread of the disease had already started in New York City, according to the report. Testing was limited at the start of the epidemic in New York City, which allowed people with undetected cases to spread the virus.
Trump has repeatedly pointed to his travel bans as evidence that his administration has effectively responded to the pandemic, claiming as recently as Tuesday that "we saved millions, potentially millions of lives.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by delishpot: 5:32am On May 24, 2021
Nigeria and her disorganized system.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by adebayo987: 6:22am On May 24, 2021
Bankowner:
Nobody has used the SIM card you have, the number is a reassigned number that someone has relinquished and network operators are obligated to put these numbers back into use within 90 days.
i've used a sim card for four years during my school days. After my graduation, i lost my phone and had to buy a new one which has one sim slot. So, i decided to keep the other sim only to realize a year later that my sim was blocked but used by someone else when i got another phone that have two sim slots. When i dialed my own former airtel line, an Hausa man picked. I had to report it to NCC who did nothing about it. It was really painful.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Scarfin(m): 9:06am On May 24, 2021
Fourteen90:
Good evening guys, something strange happened today. I got a message from one of this betting site that I had a coupon of 1,200 that is about to expire, but I couldn't remember playing a bet on that site. Out of curiousity I had to give it a try and see using the link attached to the SMS, surprisingly it was true. I actually used the coupon but I began to wonder and tried to remember at what time did I registered on that site, so I checked the transaction history and found an account number with a particular bank, only the last four digits of the account was displayed, the account is not mine and I don't get messages from the bank or any funny call(s) yet. At that point it dawned on me that someone had previously used the supposedly new SIM card that I bought and registered around last year ending.

So my point now is this, why did this particular network re-sell a SIM card that was previously used by another person? Who knows the kind of person that had previously used the SIM card. Please NCC needs to look into this matter, before someone will buy a SIM that was previously used by a criminal, kidnappers or terrorist

It's normal MTN practice enforced by terrorist run NCC.

The want to ruin the country.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Scarfin(m): 9:08am On May 24, 2021
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN TERRORISTS RUN YOUR COUNTRY.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by etibaba(m): 10:07am On May 24, 2021
Quintuple:

How was the guy managed to get your brother's password/PIN for transaction validation?
Just curious!!
Self recharge for most banks does not require pin.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Lovexme(m): 12:05pm On May 24, 2021
Does anyone have an email of any top Zenith bank exec? I'm drafting a mail on ATM fraud carried out on my salary account whose ATM card has neither been used nor the account registered on any online platform.

I'm escalating to CBN.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by AdaAwka1: 9:57pm On May 25, 2021
Shuzzi:
I doubt it cause at times she receives debit alerts.

Could be the family withdrawing with her atm card. My friend died in 2015 and the next year her sim was assigned to someone else, the day I called and the guy picked I was shocked, had to tell him it was my dead friend's sim, he quickly discarded it.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Onyenna(m): 6:24am On May 26, 2021
Quintuple:

Just curious!!

If you wanna recharge the line that’s linked to your account via your bank, you don’t need a pin.....

Eg: Polaris bank is *833*amount#..... the credit recharge will just enter your main line.... You don’t need a password..... Other banks have their codes too..... That’s a flaw in the system.....
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Quintuple: 7:23pm On May 26, 2021
Ok got it. But UBA and GTB will request for your PIN to finalise transaction
Onyenna:

If you wanna recharge the line that’s linked to your account via your bank, you don’t need a pin.....

Eg: Polaris bank is *833*amount#..... the credit recharge will just enter your main line.... You don’t need a password..... Other banks have their codes too..... That’s a flaw in the system.....
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Emmyreal4(m): 2:23pm On Feb 20, 2022
Alexdon200089:
It's a norm in telecommunication to recycle lines, reason is that telecoms are paying for dormant lines to federal government.... It is mandatory that you don't keep your line dormant for more than 3months,else it will be recycled...Truth be told there is nothing like new or virgin lines in the system of telecomms..Every line you bought now has been used by someone else before you.. No Telecommunication company is producing new line, it's all a recycled lines..
If you know that you don't want your line recycled you have to activate what MTN call KMN(keep my number) it comes in 3category with charges(1year,2years and 3years)...
If you encounter such ugly incident, just know it's not your fault neither it's the company...it's the fault of the former not to retrieve the line before ot was reassigned back to the system
Tell your bro to go to the telecommunication company of the line and know if the line was actually registered by him or by someone else..If it was registered by him, then there is no problem..If it's by someone else i suggest he ask for reregistration of the line to be primarily assigned to him as the bonfide owner of the line|In cases where lines are not registered by the owner is advisable you don't go further using it for your personal documentation...

NB:I work with MTN�
you still work with mtn?

1 Like

Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Alexdon200089: 6:38am On Feb 22, 2022
Emmyreal4:
you still work with mtn?

Yes
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by WillyCassey: 5:55pm On Sep 17, 2022
etibaba:
Criminal. What advice are you looking for? Better be careful.

Haha did he scam you too? He is a scammer.
Re: Help! I Bought A New SIM Card That Has Been Previously Used By Someone by Scarfin(m): 11:20pm On Feb 03, 2023
Bankowner:
Nobody has used the SIM card you have, the number is a reassigned number that someone has relinquished and network operators are obligated to put these numbers back into use within 90 days.
They do it, which is very wrong and stupid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oppo Reno3 Pro Unboxing, First Impressions And Long Term Review + Price (photos) / OPPO A92 For ₦109,900: Is It Worth It? / I Hate Glo Network....they Gave Me False Hope!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.