Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading - NYSC (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading (58923 Views)

Corps Member Recreates Photo Of Her Mom Taken During NYSC Program 32 Years Ago / Sunday Dare Debunks Reports That NYSC Scheme Will Be Scrapped / Discontinuation Bill: Sunday Dare Opposes The Scrapping Of NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by ransomed: 1:04am On May 25, 2021
To serve Nigeria is not by force.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Rajosh(m): 1:50am On May 25, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:
I don’t think its a good idea if NYSC is scrapped. It could be optional but not scrapped. A lot of youths use that period to plan their lives and the 30k paid by the government solves the needs of millions of people at least for the full one year
I believe they'll provide an alternative especially that financial aspect.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Baruwaaaaa(m): 2:05am On May 25, 2021
I disagree
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by AOTEMN: 2:13am On May 25, 2021
Doing additional genetic sequencing of the samples, the strain of the virus more closely resembled the one circulating in Europe, rather than the one circulating in China. That means that the novel coronavirus was likely introduced to New York through Europe or by travelers from other US locations, the report said.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by aragon4realz(m): 3:55am On May 25, 2021
the only way youth gain alittle financial assistance from this useless government and they want to take it away
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by WeRblessed(f): 4:29am On May 25, 2021
just2endowed:

You are speaking on your own... If you were born in South Korea or Isreal, my guy you go do hard drilling and services. And yes it's mandatory else you go to prison

Oh wow. So if the graduates refuse to go to the Corp service the government will jail them? I'm asking because I didn't know this..
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Dony19(m): 5:23am On May 25, 2021
Please let me also benefit from the 33k then from next year you guys can scrap or do what ever you want �
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Nobleou(m): 6:21am On May 25, 2021
MeghaneMorgane:
I don’t think its a good idea if NYSC is scrapped. It could be optional but not scrapped. A lot of youths use that period to plan their lives and the 30k paid by the government solves the needs of millions of people at least for the full one year
Guy na pure waste of time & suffering. I am a serving corp member, wit d present Nigeria notin is good abt nysc
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by hardon1(m): 6:26am On May 25, 2021
Why not solve the problem rather than scrapping nysc
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Brunicekid(m): 6:43am On May 25, 2021
hardon1:
Why not solve the problem rather than scrapping nysc
Exactly..
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Brunicekid(m): 6:46am On May 25, 2021
AOTEMN:
Doing additional genetic sequencing of the samples, the strain of the virus more closely resembled the one circulating in Europe, rather than the one circulating in China. That means that the novel coronavirus was likely introduced to New York through Europe or by travelers from other US locations, the report said.
I tried to relate your comment to this post, but I found it hard to relate it to.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by stanley000: 6:51am On May 25, 2021
observanc1:
no work. That 1 year allawee helps a lot.
They should post intending corps members to their geographical zones, not necessarily their states of origin.
no amount given to a jobless man will help him if he can't fish for himself. The govt should rather send y'all to learn a skill instead of taking selfies up and down with karki cap and posting all over social media
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by adekS1(m): 6:56am On May 25, 2021
I won't support scrapping of nysc,it has serve it's purpose and can still do more if Mr President can wake up to it's responsibility.

All l see here is listing of problems ravalging the nation that we already know shd be impeachable for the president...
Things that happen when the president is incompetent.

All wat was mentioned centered around security and economy.

Nothing shd deserve scraping of such a laudable programme.but in a bid to make room for the problem ravalging the country that they ought to av address, hiding and then are running away from it and collapsing the few gains we av in the nation...

Only God know how many programmes left to be scrapped cos security is centered on a lot of things.

With this bandits and kidnappers can be said to be winning against the FG.
The caption should be...

BANDITS AND KIDNAPPERS FORCE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT TO SCRAP AGE-LONG NYSC PROGRAMME
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Nobody: 7:00am On May 25, 2021
King44:
Na only God know the ten years wey you don spend after university o.

You quote the wrong person.
After Hitler you are the next in line abi
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by stanley000: 7:08am On May 25, 2021
Goldiness:
I think it should not be taken out completely, what I suggest is adjustments, that should be done. Like let it be optional, whoever that want to go should indicate from school and call up lettesl given, and and exception letters given to who doesn't want to go, then Because of the insecurities and other country challenges been faced in the country, everyone should serve in their place of choice, instead of going through the stress of redeployment after camp. The most that would happen will be no more intergration amongst coppers and organisations or offices will not collect to much corpers.

Then, the government should make it mandatory that, offices calling for the services of corpers, do not make the certificate mandatory, if a graduate has it, good if they don't have it it's fine, move on with recruitment.

Everything lies with the government.
But on a second thought, public opinion should be allowed on the matter, votes counted, if the most is to scrape it, or take it off completely then, perfect let it go.
The aim is useless with innocent coppers dieing everyday, and other challenges going on.

My opinion!
then what is then the ensence of it if everyone just remain in their state, are you only focused on the money part thats all. U just somehow someway want tomhe money lol, umi understand sha the country is hard. What do we go there to do self other than snap pics for bragging rites. That poo should be scrapped already. Some schools parttime dont do nys-shit and i know alot that went straight to intern ot learn a good computer or handwork skill and today they are betoff why our so called graduates are all over betnaija shops blowing grammar ans arguing football
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by stanley000: 7:14am On May 25, 2021
Akinola100:

It shows you are not serious.
NYSC didn't waste your time, you wasted your own precious time undecided
someone that went to a very deep village with probably no electricity what do expect?
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Flows001(m): 7:14am On May 25, 2021
psychologist:
Someone should please school me on the process of passing of bill into law

After hearing/passage of the 3rd reading, how long will it to be passed into law.
This brother wants to do some calculations to know whether the National Moi-Moi go reach him turn b4 Govt scrap am cheesy grin cheesy
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by IMASTEX: 7:20am On May 25, 2021
CAPITALBEE:

Well said man but none of these is been put into consideration even though the bill has been in consideration since 2019 when it was first rejected, hence my doubt about this line of action. Kindly correct me if I am wrong about this.

Given the stated reasons, its a welcome development no doubt, but total scrapping is only viable when the necessary things are put in place. If not, the country will only end up churning out more unemployed or perhaps unengaged graduates earlier than usual!

In lieu of this, certain modifications can be made and other options explored but not total scrapping!

Many like me took advantage of the opportunities brought to them by the program, others didn't and also some others weren't that opportune.

There are two sides to a coin, and both sides should be clearly considered when making decisions.
You've a point but the fact still remains that it was solely created to bring about national unity, hence the crisscrossing in posting. A cause that is obviously dead as a result of high insecurity, religious intolerance, ethnic divides, etc. This has made many people to serve in their states or regions of origins. Don't forget that they are now targets by kidnappers to get to the government, etc. Should we also talk about many that died on the course of the program from road crashes, robbers, etc. For a journey/place that may not have been made/visited in the first place! Or is it the posting to places of assignments that have zero significances to course of study where over 90% are sent to schools, thereby creating a wide reason to keep engaging cheap labour by employers as they depend on corpers to always provide services year in year out while many seeking direct employment are on the street. You mentioned scrapping it will increase unemployment quicker, because you believe NYSC actually engages youth for additional one year. But I will call the bolded as creating more disadvantageous delays to corpers and providing one year cover for government inefficiency. After graduation or NYSC comes the reality of unemployment, so why not get them ready on time to confront it with my earlier submission. We all know what is budgeted and what is actually spent on corpers because of systemic corruption. So why not partner with private companies to provide intensive training in the areas of interest for at least a month within school environments thereafter bulk cash is granted directly to graduates to setup themselves. Then give more money to those studying at vocational/technical schools to shift the youth attention to the country's needs. Lastly, redeploy the affected NYSC staff to other MDA's especially the young ones while others should be compulsorily pensioned.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by NairaMaster1(m): 7:22am On May 25, 2021
SimplyFacts:
I really had a great experience. It's not all about fun & freedom,,, it's just about meeting new people & I did meet nice people.

If you ask me, I would say Long live,,,,NYSC!
But I may not see what others are seeing angry

The reasons given are not enough. You for kuku scrap Naija undecided

A moment immorality
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by stanley000: 7:24am On May 25, 2021
bammydhele:
This Nation start failing since they have not been respecting graduate. To cry out aloud, graduate should be respected and they should be employed in their various field. All these mindset of graduate learning skills should be stop. The only way to make it to future is to keep engaging our dear graduate. Skill acquisition should be at Secondary level and College level. Anyone that manage to graduate; graduated for a reason and that should be made achieved by the help of government providing an enabling environment for them. My opinion
true but that can't be said for some dummies who bought their way through school. U think because some didn't get to graduate means they weren't smart enough? If u are a graduate and u can't find job better go and learn something while you still can now before reality hita u hard.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by stanley000: 7:30am On May 25, 2021
angelfallz:
I agree with you. Fix the issues that are bedeviling NYSC.
I enjoyed my service year as well. Camp was wonderful, in fact i remember wishing we could remain in camp for longer.

I also achieved a lot during my service year, so i don't look back on that 1 year as a loss.

why won't it be when u served at the SE or SS. Your counterparts that went up north I doubt they can say the same thing.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by just2endowed: 7:30am On May 25, 2021
WeRblessed:

Oh wow. So if the graduates refuse to go to the Corp service the government will jail them? I'm asking because I didn't know this..

Isreal own is worst, exception is only for the Jewish or rabbi that given optional

1 Like

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by BuharisBoy: 7:43am On May 25, 2021
IgOga:

You don't need it and you don't need to be from a rich family. In my days most of us had secured at least a job at Uni (final year) and this was during OBJ PDP time. The youth service was nonsense in my view....After one year of NYSC those we called NFA still had no plans
Good for that
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by BAYOCLEF: 7:48am On May 25, 2021
With the present state of insecurity in Nigeria there is no need for continuation of NYSC scheme. No one is safe. NYSC has outlived its importance. Nigeria atmosphere nowadays is hostile. People are missing like coins.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Nobody: 8:02am On May 25, 2021
Since they're scrapping nysc, i have to save money to invest in cryptocurrency business, so i won't lose out until i get a proper job then, thank God i'm through with unn.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Emmanuelcann: 8:09am On May 25, 2021
Julianaa:
Senate should be scrapped first

They literally useless

Just wasting tax money
Nigerians! Please heed this wise comment! The National Assembly should be scrapped ASAP!!!
I don't know who they are representing, maybe the demons that are hell bent on spilling innocent blood and causing destruction!
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by LibanKush: 8:17am On May 25, 2021
NYSC too much Fyb Thanksgiving issokIS

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by kinguwem: 8:25am On May 25, 2021
The NYSC was a programme established to create unity among Nigerian youths & to offer skilled labour to less privilege communities especially in the North.
However, subsequent leadership has created serious political tensions along religious & ethnic lines resulting in insecurity with loss of lives & property citizens including those of corps members.
The primary function of government is protection of lives & property of her citizens. For now, there is need to reform the NYSC Act & make the programme more productive & safe for our youths.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by MrEnigma(m): 8:27am On May 25, 2021
SimplyFacts:
I really had a great experience. It's not all about fun & freedom,,, it's just about meeting new people & I did meet nice people.

If you ask me, I would say Long live,,,,NYSC!
But I may not see what others are seeing angry

The reasons given are not enough. You for kuku scrap Naija undecided

Reasons given are not enough? The insecurity across the nation is not enough?

Pray tell, what reason would be enough to scrap it? Maybe when bandits blow up a camp in Abuja or Kano? People do not have to die before a change is implemented. Dead that talk abeg.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Kiezodumah(m): 8:29am On May 25, 2021
IMASTEX:
Long overdue, instead graduates should be given training in areas of interest that they can setup something to start making a living. And the funds before now wasted on NYSC should be given to them thereafter as startup funds.

Great idea but our leaders won't do such.
Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by angelfallz(m): 8:49am On May 25, 2021
Lol. It is a mindset. Many of my fellow corp members then, hated camp with a passion and hated service year in general, I avoided such people.
I enjoyed my camp simply because i made up my mind to enjoy it, to participate in camp activities, to interact with my fellow corp members. Was my camp perfect? no it wasn't. I still regret that I wasn't chosen to march from my platoon. That our platoon commander too like woman grin

I did not waste my service year because i took advantage of the opportunity presented to get certificate in Computer Networking(CCNA) and a course completion certificate in software engineering(Microsoft Technology). I was doing a third course Microsoft windows server by the time my service year end.

The north that you mentioned, immediately after my service year, I read of an Igbo guy that was serving in Katsina. His parents were begging him to come home, he refused. He said he was now doing business where he was posted to selling and herding goats I think. And even crossing over into Niger. The same North that we southerners look down on.

You see, its a mindset. You and only you alone, can decide to waste your service year. You and only you alone can decide that your service year would be fruitful

stanley000:
why won't it be when u served at the SE or SS. Your counterparts that went up north I doubt they can say the same thing.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Program May Be Scrapped As Discontinuation Bill Gets 2nd Reading by Yusufisraelj(m): 8:52am On May 25, 2021
Personally speaking, I don't think it should be scrapped, from the reasons iterated by this NASS member, it doesn't suffice.

One - the NYSC scheme has brought remarkable development to some regions where ordinarily government help could not reach. I could remember in 2017 I served in Anambra and carried out over 40 community development projects, building bridges, revamping bore holes and fixing of dilapidated structures amongst others, so also other Corp members have done even better projects in communities where the LGA chairmen are not alive to their responsibilities.

Two - Not many Schools could boost of having quality teachers with the sound acumen a Corp member brings to the school, coupled with exposure and orientation of the youths in the that school. There by bridging the gaps in illiteracy subliminally.

Three - There is no doubt national integration is being achieved coupled with the insecurity in the country, not all Corp members want to be posted to their respective geopolitical zones. If we investigate their numbers behind this claim, I'm certain that it will be below 40% of those who want to be redeployed to their geopolitical zones.

There is no doubt that some Corp members have been killed as a result of what this member have sighted, but let us not relegate a noble scheme bkos of a failure in leadership, lead them address the leadership problem plaguing the country. Not cut off schemes that is suffering from a failure of leadership.

BAYOCLEF:
With the present state of insecurity in Nigeria there is no need for continuation of NYSC scheme. No one is safe. NYSC has outlived its importance. Nigeria atmosphere nowadays is hostile. People are missing like coins.

greggng:

The risk out weighs the benefit . On my way to iseyin for my orientation, I nearly loss my life due to cross fire ....police with robbers ....I saw bullet flying ...Again , in my ppa at ogbomosho ...I was expecting to see people from other tribes but 90 percent of corpers there are all from Yoruba states ...I begin to wonder why can't the be posted to other states? Will they learn other people's culture from Yoruba land? The most painful moment was losing a close friend and course mate ...she was posted to the north ...on her way , their bus was involved in an acvident ...the bus caught fire ...nobody survived ...her body burnt ....I met her mum after the incident , I could hold back my tears cos not even a piece of her body was found...her mum told me that her daughter was posted that far cos she doesn't 've connection....there is truth in her statement ...many bought their posting while those without money and connections were posted to the north were insecurity reigns...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Corper Dies In Zamfara NYSC Camp (Photos) / Different Types Of Corp Members You Will Meet At The Camp (memes) / Corper Who Proposed To A Military Woman Celebrates His Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.