Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) (825 Views)

Why The Government Is Right In Licensing New Private Universities (Opinion) / Strike: Why ASUU Should Accept FG’s Offer — Ngige / 'Why Amala Needs To Be Banned' - Coventry Student Makes Presentation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 9:38pm On May 28, 2021
I know this may not go down well with our lecturers in public universities but in my humble opinion I must say that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) must be proscribed from our campuses.

While I agree totally that the government is not doing enough to fund education, the incessant strike by ASUU has shown that they are an unpatriotic organization who only knows their belly and do not care for the welfare of their students.

In 2020, ASUU went on strike for more than 8 months, even while the country was battling Corona virus, ASUU did not care to call off the strike because they are an unpatriotic organization who does not care if the nation was dying. They were still demanding for billions when crude oil was at it's lowest and they call them self academias.

In same 2020, Ambrose Alli University (AAU) Edo state was on strike and did not open till February 2021 due to the Corona virus. However, the vice Chancellor still manage to pay them half salaries till December 2020, but they went on strike again in March 2021.

As an organization who claims to be "dons", can ASUU AAU chapter claim they don't know that the school did not generate 1kobo in 2020? So how did they expect to get full salaries?. Most lecturers especially senior lecturers earn above 500 thousand naira, which means that they received as much as 250 thousand naira constantly for 8 months in 2020 and yet they still went on strike barely 2 months after resumption, how greedy can they be?

Available information also revealed that the vice Chancellor paid them half salaries again in March 2021 with the promise to complete the arears once the new student resume and start to pay school fees, yet ASUU AAU chapter still continued the strike. How wicked can they be?
As we speak, students have been in one level for 2years at AAU yet ASUU AAU chapter is not bordered. More than 1000 families who do business within the school are in hunger and poverty, yet all ASUU won't shift ground.

I therefore urge stakeholders to push for constitutional amendments to proscribe any form of associations from our educational system. These associations are killing the system and it's time universities are handed over to private individuals while state government should fund colleges of agriculture, education and technology.
Let's use this opportunity to pass laws that will ensure our children's educationare never stranded again.

1 Like

Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:43pm On May 28, 2021
Ban the politicians from Nigeria first!

All NA knows is to make stupid laws
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 9:49pm On May 28, 2021
Wiseandtrue:
Ban the politicians from Nigeria first!

All NA knows is to make stupid laws
Most professor from public universities are your politicians
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 9:53pm On May 28, 2021
cc:

Lalasticlala
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Jashub: 9:59pm On May 28, 2021
I like your dream ; it is beautiful. But face the reality on ground and graduate in peace and let others worry about ASSU
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Kamdil: 10:00pm On May 28, 2021
No lecturer earns 500k monthly,not even professors.

Aside that, if you proscribe ASUU, public school in Nigeria is dead,quote me. Even though I agree that sometimes the union can be too insensitive ,but without ASUU , public schools in Nigeria is dead.
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Sammy07: 10:04pm On May 28, 2021
I concur with these.

I didn't know how much these lectures are collecting until a close friend of mine became a lecturer.

Apart from their fat salaries.
1. They make little or no research from scratch. (All they know is to edit and add little grammar to their publications)

2. They receive millions and billions of naira from FG and tetfund but the projects or equipments won't be bought and executed till the NUC are coming for accreditation or to check somethings in school

3. You need to know how much these VCs are earning and chopping lipsrsealed
I mean the money they control

4. We have many sadist lectures in the Federal Universities these days.

5. Some of these lecturers dey teaching for another university or polytechnic or College of Edu (Either private, state or federal) thereby not creating employment opportunities for another people (They just want to chop all alone). Ain't talking about Visiting lectures.

6. FG really needs to invest heavily in Education.

Imagine a company looking for 23 yr old fresh graduate with 3 to 4 yrs experience.
Where he wan see am angry, with ASUU undecided

1 Like

Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Sammy07: 10:06pm On May 28, 2021
[s]
Kamdil:

Aside that, if you proscribe ASUU, public school in Nigeria is dead,quote me. Even though I agree that sometimes the union can be too insensitive ,but without ASUU , public schools in Nigeria is dead.
[/s]

Professors earn more than 500k Mr man grin
I know a 2 professors in Lautech earning more than 600k.

2 Likes

Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Kamdil: 10:12pm On May 28, 2021
Sammy07:

[s]Professors earn more than 500k Mr man grin
I know a 2 professors in Lautech earning more than 600k[/s].
stop that, I know many in Ph here, Professors don't even earn up to 400k ,except those in State universities who earn slightly above their colleagues in federal universities.
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Sammy07: 10:14pm On May 28, 2021
Kamdil:
stop that, I know many in Ph here, Professors don't even earn up to 400k ,except those in State universities who earn slightly above their colleagues in federal universities.

State lecturers dey earn money pass federal lecturers?
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Nobody: 10:20pm On May 28, 2021
Are they not going to ban the ridiculous jumbo salaries and allowances that lawmakers are collecting?
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Kamdil: 10:21pm On May 28, 2021
Sammy07:

State lecturers dey earn money pass federal lecturers?
yes.

Though some professors earn up to that 500k,but only few.

Most professors earn between 370-420k

Those professors with master degrees without PhD don't earn up to 400k
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Sammy07: 10:25pm On May 28, 2021
Kamdil:
yes.

Though some professors earn up to that 500k,but only few.

Most professors earn between 370-420k

Those professors with master degrees without PhD don't earn up to 400k

Anyways they made little impact from their "professor" title.

Most don't even write their publications and research from scratch.

All nah modifications

1 Like

Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by password990(m): 10:51pm On May 28, 2021
Thinktwicemybro:
I know this may not go down well with our lecturers in public universities but in my humble opinion I must say that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) must be proscribed from our campuses.

While I agree totally that the government is not doing enough to fund education, the incessant strike by ASUU has shown that they are an unpatriotic organization who only knows their belly and do not care for the welfare of their students.

In 2020, ASUU went on strike for more than 8 months, even while the country was battling Corona virus, ASUU did not care to call off the strike because they are an unpatriotic organization who does not care if the nation was dying. They were still demanding for billions when crude oil was at it's lowest and they call them self academias.

In same 2020, Ambrose Alli University (AAU) Edo state was on strike and did not open till February 2021 due to the Corona virus. However, the vice Chancellor still manage to pay them half salaries till December 2020, but they went on strike again in March 2021.

As an organization who claims to be "dons", can ASUU AAU chapter claim they don't know that the school did not generate 1kobo in 2020? So how did they expect to get full salaries?. Most lecturers especially senior lecturers earn above 500 thousand naira, which means that they received as much as 250 thousand naira constantly for 8 months in 2020 and yet they still went on strike barely 2 months after resumption, how greedy can they be?

Available information also revealed that the vice Chancellor paid them half salaries again in March 2021 with the promise to complete the arears once the new student resume and start to pay school fees, yet ASUU AAU chapter still continued the strike. How wicked can they be?
As we speak, students have been in one level for 2years at AAU yet ASUU AAU chapter is not bordered. More than 1000 families who do business within the school are in hunger and poverty, yet all ASUU won't shift ground.

I therefore urge stakeholders to push for constitutional amendments to proscribe any form of associations from our educational system. These associations are killing the system and it's time universities are handed over to private individuals while state government should fund colleges of agriculture, education and technology.
Let's use this opportunity to pass laws that will ensure our children's educationare never stranded again.

We don't need to proscribe ASUU or any other association in our versity.
A no-work, no-pay law should be enshrined in the constitution. This will reduce the number of unnecessary strikes.
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by SILVERLINES: 10:55pm On May 28, 2021
Thinktwicemybro:

mumu d worry soooo
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 9:53am On May 29, 2021
Kamdil:

What's the essence of education without quality? They should hand the public school over to private and fund colleges instead
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 9:55am On May 29, 2021
password990:

We don't need to proscribe ASUU or any other association in our versity.
A no-work, no-pay law should be enshrined in the constitution. This will reduce the number of unnecessary strikes.
Good idea but trust me, they will continue to blackmail government as far you allow them associate.
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 6:35pm On May 29, 2021
Sammy07:

Professors earn more than 500k Mr man grin
I know a 2 professors in Lautech earning more than 600k.
He obviously don't have enough information on what they earn
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by edoairways: 7:39pm On May 29, 2021
Kamdil:

Some still earn that amount
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by edoairways: 7:48pm On May 29, 2021
Thinktwicemybro thank you for your response however I disagree with you. Thanks to ASUU, many public universities are receiving fund. Thanks to them some universities are still manageable e.g Universitiy of Ibadan
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 8:15pm On May 29, 2021
edoairways:
Thinktwicemybro thank you for your response however I disagree with you. Thanks to ASUU, many public universities are receiving fund. Thanks to them some universities are still manageable e.g Universitiy of Ibadan
We can't produce useful graduates from incessant strikes. It's time associations within the educational sector are banned or we simply just hand public schools to private. Watchout for my next article. You will get my point better.
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by edoairways: 8:49pm On May 29, 2021
Thinktwicemybro:

We can't produce useful graduates from incessant strikes. It's time associations within the educational sector are banned or we simply just hand public schools to private. Watchout for my next article. You will get my point better.
You can't ban unionism. It like saying Nlc should be ban from going on strike. Public universities can not be handled over to private hands because the fees will be expensive
Re: CONSTITUTION REVIEW: ASUU Should Be Banned From Nigerian Universities (opinion) by Thinktwicemybro: 9:48pm On May 29, 2021
edoairways:

You can't ban unionism. It like saying Nlc should be ban from going on strike. Public universities can not be handled over to private hands because the fees will be expensive
Those that cannot afford private varsities should go to colleges. the unions dragging university education down is too much. ASUU, JUC, SSANU etc one strike or the other and yet the school keep dishing out certificate with worthless graduates.

(1) (Reply)

EEE Student Emerges FUTO Overall Best Graduating Student In The 2020/2021 Sessio / List Of Some USA Universities That Waive GRE, TOEFL And IELTS For Scholarship / RE: UNICAL Undergraduates Mass Failure, Call For NUC To Review Admissions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.