Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,254 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) (86578 Views)

"My Son Is A Member Of Pyrates Confraternity"- Wole Soyinka. / JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by superlanny(m): 9:49am On May 29, 2021
You said it perfect and I am glad we still have youths that do more of thinking before speaking or writing. The first few comments showed lots of ignorance and i just laughed, but somewhere in me I hoped to see a sensible comment and there you came. Thanks
AustineE1:
The topic says Pyrate 'confraternity',I wonder why this people above me are shouting 'cultism',is it that some people cannot comprehend or is it ignorance of the highest order.
Merriam Webster dictionary defines confraternity as a society devoted to a religious or a charitable cause.
I certainly know from information available to all, that the pyrate confraternity is a charity organization,made up of like minds with the goal of creating an egalitarian society where the strong protects the weak and men are weighed by the strength of their character and not by the colour of their skins,religion or ethnicity. Little wonder why they are highly revered in and outside Nigeria for notable achievements in humanitarian activities and social reengineering.
I guess if this isn't a noble society of men,they likes of Prof Wole Soyinka and hundreds of notable men who associates with this group,could have dissociated for preservation of their reputation and image.

5 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Prechboy(m): 9:50am On May 29, 2021
AustineE1:
The topic says Pyrate 'confraternity',I wonder why this people above me are shouting 'cultism',is it that some people cannot comprehend or is it ignorance of the highest order.
Merriam Webster dictionary defines confraternity as a society devoted to a religious or a charitable cause.
I certainly know from information available to all, that the pyrate confraternity is a charity organization,made up of like minds with the goal of creating an egalitarian society where the strong protects the weak and men are weighed by the strength of their character and not by the colour of their skins,religion or ethnicity. Little wonder why they are highly revered in and outside Nigeria for notable achievements in humanitarian activities and social reengineering.
I guess if this isn't a noble society of men,they likes of Prof Wole Soyinka and hundreds of notable men who associates with this group,could have dissociated for preservation of their reputation and image.
Don't mind them that was how nollywood movies made us believe "Shrine" is a bad place until I read about a shrine in Canada and I had to check the meaning

4 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Ugandatales: 9:50am On May 29, 2021
naptu2:
Something very funny happened many years ago. I was standing on the side of the road when a bus passed and written on its side were the words, "Confraternity of Christian Mothers".

One man on the roadside exclaimed. "Confraternity! These people no know the meaning of the word when dey dey use. Confra! How person go use that kind word"?

I almost died of laughter

Lol! The ignorant calling others ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by generalwo(m): 9:50am On May 29, 2021
AustineE1:
..... Have u not heard of members of pirates confraternity indulging in crimes? Make una no dey try to paint confra as good.... As far as an average Nigerian is concerned given all we have seen in our universities, confraternity in Nigeria is more often than not an evil and blood thirsty gathering of demons

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by vickydevoka(m): 9:50am On May 29, 2021
johnmartus:
Omg this is part of the legacy soyinka will give to the society.
Pirate no de reign again. Na neo Black n vikings
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Abalado(f): 9:51am On May 29, 2021
Has confraternity been legalise in Nigeria ni,I don't understand
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Nobody: 9:51am On May 29, 2021
A whole respected prof all over the world who has taught in US universities oooo....and he is still doing spiritual things. The same man who used to say there is no God. You better use your head and start thinking, and search for God so you do not perish. This world is deep.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by generalwo(m): 9:51am On May 29, 2021
LikeAking:

Quiet!
Why will he follow Christ, is a white man?

....... Ignorance kills faster than a moving train
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by NaijaOlosho(f): 9:52am On May 29, 2021
Jackson105:

Go and arrest him na, you can bring your father along too

Lol you truth
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Ashirioluwa: 9:53am On May 29, 2021
AustineE1:

@AustineE1 is proud member of PC. Nothing we can say to change a killer’s mind until he himself get killed.

Nothing good comes out from cult associations

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by vickydevoka(m): 9:53am On May 29, 2021
Revere27:
Baba should have denounce his relationship long ago now...

Some youths would see this and be given morale to continue embarassed embarassed
Pirates no de reign again o. Infact na very few n dem no de fight. Even buccaneers get mouth pass Dem. Quintessent plenty pass dem
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by BePrepared: 9:54am On May 29, 2021
AustineE1:

With ur comment I doubt if u are up to 18, do you expect them to write in their constitution that they re after killing and maiming.

May sense fall upon u dear brother
This I pray
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by generalwo(m): 9:55am On May 29, 2021
naptu2:
Confraternity ➜ Youth gang ➜Mafia.

1) Fraternities and Sororities: A confraternity, fraternity or sorority (and in, America, Greek letter organisation) are social clubs in universities in many parts of the world. These associations are very common in American universities and very many Americans, including prominent politicians, businessmen, and entertainment stars are members of the associations. The associations were generally formed to help their members academically and serve as a forum for people to network and connect. Fraternity = brotherhood, sorority = sisterhood. Former president George H. W. Bush was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon at Yale, Bill Clinton is an honorary member of Phi Beta Sigma, and George W. Bush is a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon at Yale like his father. Basketball star, Michael Jordan, is a member of Omega Psi Phi, civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha and comedian and actor Cedric “The Entertainer” is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi.

What Wole Soyinka started was a fraternity that was meant to be like the fraternities in American universities.

2) Youth gangs: A gang is a group or society of associates, friends or members of a family with a defined leadership and internal organization that identifies with or claims control over territory in a community and engages, either individually or collectively, in illegal, and possibly violent, behaviour.

Many youth gangs sprang up in the United States in the period between the 1940s and the 1960s. The most well known are the Bloods and the Crips. These youth gangs control territory through acts of violence and intimidation. They usually have their unique colours and symbols like handshakes, walking styles and dances. They could violently attack and even kill someone for wearing their colour in their territory. They raise funds through illegal means like bullying and intimidation, drug sales, etc.

Many fraternities in Nigerian universities became youth gangs in the 1970s and most especially in the 1980s. They engaged in violent acts like murder and assault, gruesome initiation rituals, etc. In response to this, Professor Wole Soyinka pulled the Pyrates Fraternity, now known as the National Association of Seadogs, out of the universities.

3) Mafia: A mafia is a type of organized crime syndicate whose primary activities are protection racketeering, arbitrating disputes between criminals, and brokering and enforcing illegal agreements and transactions. Mafias often engage in secondary activities such as gambling, loan sharking, drug-trafficking, prostitution, and fraud. Examples of Mafia syndicates include the Cosa Nostra, the Yakuza, the Camorra and the Bratva.

The members of these 1980s and 1990s youth gangs have become older and some of them have moved out of Nigeria. They have established their organisations as criminals syndicates in places like Canada, Italy and the United States. They engage in drug trafficking, pimping prostitutes and other illegal activities and they have formed agreements with or fought wars against the Italian Mafia, the American Mafia and other such illegal organisations.

Some members of these organisations have become government officials and high ranking members of the society in Nigeria.

What Wole Soyinka founded in 1952 was a fraternity, not a youth gang or mafia syndicate.
..... What he started was a fraternity....... Let me ask you this, putting into consideration your above definition of a fraternity, if you get son when just gain admission into a Nigerian university, will you advise him to join ANY confraternity or fraternity in school?
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by KoshCAD: 9:55am On May 29, 2021
Shaolin0147:
Soyinka founder of cultist that have wasted thousand lives of our youths!!

This man needs to be arrested
Go and arrest him na. Na him send you go dey kill yourself.
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by superlanny(m): 9:56am On May 29, 2021
Omo I don laugh scatter, the expression on the man's face must have been priceless, ignorance is a big defect, and can be overwhelming damaging. grin
naptu2
post=102155918:

Something very funny happened many years ago. I was standing on the side of the road when a bus passed and written on its side were the words, "Confraternity of Christian Mothers".

One man on the roadside exclaimed. "Confraternity! These people no know the meaning of the word when dey dey use. Confra! How person go use that kind word"?

I almost died of laughter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by generalwo(m): 9:56am On May 29, 2021
phemmyfour:
Illiterate everywhere

They don't know the difference between confraternity and cultism
.... Bros for Nigeria the 2 na the same.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by IJOBA11: 9:57am On May 29, 2021
johnmartus:
Stop arguing with yourself you are just embaracing yourself as well.What do you mean by pyrate you just define what it mean to us which the membershas their own objective and mission. How do you define BLM they said to defend black people but today they are killing the same black they are defending.
MY ZONE B FRIEND

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by DenreleDave(m): 9:57am On May 29, 2021
eastOFwest:

Igbos have suffered in Nigeria. Someone will have personal problem at home, perhaps his preeq cannot raise again to service his wife or girlfriend and she has insulted him. Such a person will come and take it out on Igbos.

Fyi, an Igbo man was part of the founding founders of Pyrates confraternity (the original 7 abi 5). Igbos don't do cultism like that unlike Yoruba and Edo/Delta people wey carry am for head. No cult has originated in Igbo land. None. Igbos gentrify any cult they happen to join on an individual basis.

Please go and seek solution to your poverty or non performing manhood and leave Igbos out of your personal misery.

Thank you smiley

Very true... Igbos are always unknown gunmen... Not cultist grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Kosoco(m): 9:57am On May 29, 2021
Some MFO. Think say na street dirty arrow mate. Smh
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Jman06(m): 9:57am On May 29, 2021
Gentlemen
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by rollandben(m): 9:57am On May 29, 2021
Wole Soyinka finally flag up this time around, he was even matching to the dealiest beat.

So our old ambassadors are behind all these killing from cutism all this while!
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by KoshCAD: 9:58am On May 29, 2021
Righteousness2:
If you are Privileged to get to a certain age and you still don't see the need to Surrender to JESUS Christ and do away with evil, there will be special koboko for you in Hell.
Oga, dey read and reason sometime na

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by naptu2: 9:58am On May 29, 2021
generalwo:
..... What he started was a fraternity....... Let me ask you this, putting into consideration your above definition of a fraternity, if you get son when just gain admission into a Nigerian university, will you advise him to join ANY confraternity or fraternity in school?

I have absolutely no problem advising my son to join a fraternity or sorority (that's if you know the meaning of the word), but I will never advise him to join a youth gang or criminal organisation (do you know the difference?).

Now since I've answered your question, you answer mine, what is a fraternity?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Emzenoz(m): 9:58am On May 29, 2021
LikeAking:

Quiet!
Why will he follow Christ, is a white man?

and who told you Christ is a white man?
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by generalwo(m): 9:58am On May 29, 2021
sevenhundred:
so those who killed people just because of religion, who do we held responsible? Oga face front, founders are different from followers.
.... We will hold the proponents of such religions responsible..... As far as an average Nigerian is concerned, the fraternity wole soyinka and Co created in Nigeria has done more harm than good to the society....... I can swear that wole soyinka will advise his kids and grandchildren not to join any fraternity in Nigeria having seen and realized he created a monster
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Shancca: 9:59am On May 29, 2021
Shaolin0147:

Soyinka and the rest fought what your cowardice can’t fight through the fraternity. Sometimes I get mad at some of our fathers whom it was quite easy for them to Soro Soke in those days but chose to remain bystanders.

1 Like

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Wawelexy(m): 10:00am On May 29, 2021
DropsMic:

Go back and read about the history of the confraternity.. Why they founded it and what happened tonit after they graduated. Stop showcasing your ignorance to the world
.... Please spare me that, those things u read are all lies just to defend themselves(the founder) since it has grown out of hands. Which society with a good motives would name itself pyrates. Do u even know bout their ini process, it's totally devilish. Pls only defend what u witness nd not what u read.
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by superlanny(m): 10:00am On May 29, 2021
Okay let me help you, it's just like joining Man o War, Boys Scout or Girls Guide, but on a much more higher level, they are charitable, or social societies or confraternities with an ideology to make the world a better place.
Hope you understand sha. Or Google up on them and read properly.
generalwo:
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by KanuSE: 10:01am On May 29, 2021
johnmartus:
Stop arguing with yourself you are just embaracing yourself as well.What do you mean by pyrate you just define what it mean to us which the membershas their own objective and mission. How do you define BLM they said to defend black people but today they are killing the same black they are defending.

You're not making any sense brah

2 Likes

Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by Omik1: 10:02am On May 29, 2021
The Pyrate Confraternity was registered with the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by KanuSE: 10:03am On May 29, 2021
Wawelexy:
.... Please spare me that, those things u read are all lies just to defend themselves(the founder) since it has grown out of hands. Which society with a good motives would name itself pyrates. Do u even know bout their ini process, it's totally devilish. Pls only defend what u witness nd not what u read.

Your ignorance is healthy.
Re: Pyrates Confraternity: Soyinka At Nathaniel Oyelola's Burial (Video) by hybridblood07(m): 10:04am On May 29, 2021
Stop attacking this man for Godsake. He founded the confraternity to be used to defend or disagree the movement of bad administration in the college and outside but these days cultism is something else where they recruit local, uneducated youth and lure them into evil deeds.
Shaolin0147:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Jennifer: Grass To Grace / CI / A Thorn In The Flesh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.