Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,179 members, 7,815,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) (78190 Views)

Benin Boy Constructs A Caterpillar (Video, Pictures) / This Caterpillar Mimics A Scary Skull To Keep Predators At Bay (Photos) / Nigerian Teen From Akwa Ibom Created Caterpillar Which He Controls With Syringe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 30, 2021
The Common Baron Caterpillar is a true master of camouflage. When it positions itself perfectly on a mango tree leaf, it is nearly impossible to spot, even if you know it’s there.

Some animals naturally develop camouflage in order to make themselves harder to spot by predators, but some are much better than others, and some blend into their natural surroundings perfectly. The Common Baron Caterpillar (Euthalia aconthea), a critter native to India and Southeast Asia, fits in the latter category. It has evolved to blend into its preferred background so well that it is nearly impossible to see.

The nymphalid butterfly lays its eggs on the back of mango leaves, and it’s from these eggs that the master of camouflage known as the common baron emerges from. As it grows in size, the larvae develops a yellow line across its back, and pine needle-like extensions that help it better navigate their surroundings.

Seen by itself, the common baron caterpillar doesn’t look all that impressive. If anything, the branch-like extensions on its legs just look weird. But seeing it in its natural habitat, perfectly aligned with the stem of large mango leaves (its favorite food) is a whole different story.

Even knowing that a caterpillar is sitting on a mango leaf, you really need to focus to tell it apart from its background, that’s how insanely effective its natural camouflage is. The common baron evolved into a master of camouflage to increase its chances of avoiding predators until it reaches the butterfly stage.

The nymphalid butterfly isn’t nearly as good at blending into its surroundings, with the male being a brown color and females a paler green shade

Source: https://www.odditycentral.com/animals/this-caterpillars-camouflage-is-on-a-another-level.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by NiceCeSi(f): 1:42pm On May 30, 2021
Wow. Difficult to see.

163 Likes 10 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by OlayemiAshraf(m): 1:50pm On May 30, 2021
Ohhhh wtf ... Chameleon dey Learn from this one o grin

313 Likes 17 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by ChiefSosa(m): 1:56pm On May 30, 2021
NATURE HAS MANY WAYS OF AMAZING US.

112 Likes 7 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Vyzz: 2:02pm On May 30, 2021
cool

Wow...

Nature is rich with beauty...

I dey feel like keeping it as a pet

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by chatinent: 2:06pm On May 30, 2021
Was it designed by an intelligent creator or did it evolve?

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by rottennaija(m): 2:33pm On May 30, 2021
Wow
Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by rottennaija(m): 2:35pm On May 30, 2021
chatinent:

You mean the intelligent creator sat down, designed all part of it, the internal system, the DNA, RNA, chromosomes, respiratory system, nervous systems etc, then began the process of producing different parts and then assembling them?

Or the intelligent designer simply willed it into existence?

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by PlaysNigeria: 3:24pm On May 30, 2021
Wow, stunning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by TonyBankz(m): 3:41pm On May 30, 2021
Small thing ake I vex for the op. How yuh take only green leaf dey show u till come wear my grandpa glasses come see the green catapillar on the green leaf wella. ... Nothing wey God no create for this mother earth. God is the GREATEST!!

122 Likes 7 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Shellsploit: 3:49pm On May 30, 2021
This one pass "weyrey dey disguise"
Lalasticlala sef

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by chatinent: 3:51pm On May 30, 2021
rottennaija:

You mean the intelligent created sat down, designed all part of it, the internal system, the DNA, RNA, chromosomes, respiratory system, nervous systems etc, then began the process of producing different parts and then assembling them?

Okay you mean all this intelligence you highlighted came by chance?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by ZombieBurster: 4:03pm On May 30, 2021
And Atheist would say there's No God

All Atheist Should be given Public Sendse Forth

Aspiring Atheists quoting me:
That I believe there is A God doesn't Necessarily mean I am a Christian Okay, when you look at how complex the entire system is you'll understand that these things didn't just develop from nowhere or nothing

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Telegram234(m): 4:29pm On May 30, 2021
ZombieBurster:
And Atheist would say there's No God

All Atheist Should be given Public Sendse Forth

Any atheist that say there is no God, or No witches, tell am, make em come my village...

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Conner44: 4:39pm On May 30, 2021
the same way cilicmarin, mannavulturegrillz, ivolt, tinubuadvocate, simplyleo, heliues, juliusmallama etc dey disguise themselves on this forum just to paint biafra black on all igbo threads.

but God pass dem .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by sunshineV(f): 4:49pm On May 30, 2021
chatinent:
u mean the creator that said "ask and it shall be given" and later said "god's time is the best" that creator?

3 Likes

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by HellAnus: 5:06pm On May 30, 2021
Conner44:
the same way cilicmarin, mannavulturegrillz, hellanus, juliusmallama etc dey disguise themselves on this forum just to paint biafra black on all igbo threads.

but God pass dem .

Oga pls remove my moniker from there. I am not anti-igbo, neither am I a zombie

1 Like

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Conner44: 5:09pm On May 30, 2021
HellAnus:

Oga pls remove my moniker from there. I am not anti-igbo, neither am I a zombie

are you sure? wait let me check your posts history first and if you are innocent i will remove your name

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Biglittlelois(f): 5:26pm On May 30, 2021
Those that said there is no God, where are they?

I had to turn my phone upsidedown to look for the caterpillar, indeed God is great.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by saddeeqrunka(m): 5:39pm On May 30, 2021
Wow! Just incredible shocked
Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by HellAnus: 5:39pm On May 30, 2021
Conner44:

are you sure? wait let me check your posts history first and if you are innocent i will remove your name

Have u checked?

7 Likes

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Conner44: 5:46pm On May 30, 2021
HellAnus:

Have u checked?

you too sure baba. tiri gbosa for you

but you should have used another monika, i like yabbing helinues by calling him anus, now i have to find another derogatory name to use for him

13 Likes

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by merieam16(f): 5:48pm On May 30, 2021
Vyzz:
cool

Wow...

Nature is rich with beauty...

I dey feel like keeping it as a pet
na so

1 Like

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by helinues: 5:48pm On May 30, 2021
Adaptation to the environment...

Another lesson learned
Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by rottennaija(m): 6:21pm On May 30, 2021
chatinent:

Okay you mean all this intelligence you highlighted came by chance?

No, I never mean so and that is not my question.

Take a look at all humans have achieved and created, they sat down, conceive the idea, design the component parts, the system, the flow and logic. Then bring this parts into one to make a complete system. Now, based, on that, this is my question:

did the intelligent created sat down, designed all part of it, the internal system, the DNA, RNA, chromosomes, respiratory system, nervous systems etc, then began the process of producing different parts and then assembling them?

4 Likes

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by chatinent: 6:58pm On May 30, 2021
rottennaija:

No, I never mean so and that is not my question.

Take a look at all humans have achieved and created, they sat down, conceive the idea, design the component parts, the system, the flow and logic. Then bring this parts into one to make a complete system. Now, based, on that, this is my question:

did the intelligent created sat down, designed all part of it, the internal system, the DNA, RNA, chromosomes, respiratory system, nervous systems etc, then began the process of producing different parts and then assembling them?

It was created, yes, like you opine.

6 Likes

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by rottennaija(m): 7:08pm On May 30, 2021
chatinent:

It was created, yes, like you opine.

So the intelligent designer went through the process I described for all of his creation?
Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by WhizdomXX(m): 7:11pm On May 30, 2021
Conner44:

you too sure baba. tiri gbosa for you

but you should have used another monika, i like yabbing helinues by calling him anus, now i have to find another derogatory name to use for him
Both of una de craze. Wallahi. Na Helinues una dey cast like this. (Laughs ha ha ha). #MNGAXX

2 Likes

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:19pm On May 30, 2021
And some idiots still believe there is no God?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Caterpillar’s Camouflage Is On Another Level (Photos) by Noblefreeman(m): 7:23pm On May 30, 2021
Buhari is the caterpillar, Nigeria is the green leaf.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Black Mamba: The Deadliest Snake In The World - Facts And Pictures / Crocodiles In A Zoo In Abeokuta: Fake Or Real? (Photos) / See What A Man In Aba Made Using "I Pass My Neighbour Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.