Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,161 members, 7,818,533 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job (21102 Views)

Federal Character Commission Was Like A Market For Selling Job Slots – Chair / Just Lost My Job / Lost My Job Today, After Few Months Of Employment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Robertkenny(m): 9:38am On Jun 02, 2021
Mrs. Juliet

I was with my husband on March 31st, it was 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon and I took a phone call from the owner of my company, the president and COO. He informed me that my position was being eliminated.

Significant changes had to be made to the small, family-owned business I worked for due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Coming from leadership, I understand. I worked for Skymack communications, a publishing company here in Lagos, for over 13 years. I was senior vice president of operations, client service and account management. The majority of the clients I worked with were in the airline space, so Covid-19 had huge impact on the area of the business I managed.

Even though being let go is not a personal issue for me, when you get that call from your boss, it’s quite a shock to the system.
I love the people that I worked with. And I have never been unemployed.

This was a first for me, and I had to tell my kids.
The first person I told was my husband. We went for a walk because I just wanted to takeout bad thought and feel free. It’s so overwhelming that you don’t want to think about the “What if”.

I cried when I told my husband, but it wasn’t sadness that I felt. I didn’t feel a connection to my job title such that it was a loss of my sense of self. It was more, “Well, what am I going to do now?” Or maybe it was because you have to say those words: “I’ve been laid off.” I never said those words before.

But I didn’t actually tell my two girls, who are 12 and 16, for almost a full 48hours. I just sat with it first. I was thinking, “How am I going to tell them that I have been laid off”?.

My girls have seen me get up and go to work their whole lives. I don’t believe they tied me as a person to my job, but they do understand that my job provides money for the family to live.

I was really trying to figure out, how do I tell them without scaring them? And how will I keep a level of composure?.

The third day I told them. Schools in Lagos were closed, so my daughters were homeschooling. I called them into the living room, sat down and told them that I had been let go from my position at work. I was crying while telling them.

They both sort of looked at me and they said, “Well, what does that mean for us?”

How you handle yourself is everything when it comes to how they’re going to respond, so I immediately composed myself.
“Well, we’re probably going to have to make some changes initially, but as a parent let I and your dad focus on that. I don’t want you to worry about that” I said.

My eldest daughter got angry and frustrated at my employer. “Aren’t you important? Don’t they think you’re valuable?” she asked with a sad face.

“I am valuable” I said. But my value has nothing to do with my job. I’m valuable for a lot of other reasons.”

“I will find a job that makes me happier, a place to work that values me, a place where I want to be” I said. The girls asked questions about money too. I have a loan to pay and other bills. “Yeah, we’re going to have to make some changes, for me to be able to pay back” I said.

“I’m going to have to really work to get another job or figure out what my next move is” I said.

For now we’re good. My girls and I are stable and we’re happy. We have made some changes towards managing most things around us. For instance with food shopping, we are not particularly frivolous, but now we are much more careful.

Also there is no “I need does cloths just because they’re beautiful or I want to do online shopping for me and my girls”. They know they need to be conscientious about what they ask for. And they have been fantastic without reminder.

And I have not stopped my job search, but I am not obsessing. Right now everything is fine, but that won’t last forever. So I am trying to determine what my new normal is going to be.

Thank you Bogger for sharing my story

Have you ever lost any job that makes you think twice? Please share your story.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Bola146(f): 9:42am On Jun 02, 2021
embarassed

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 02, 2021
That's one thing with private organizations. No job security. Imagine after thirteen whole years of service, you were laid off over the phone just like that. Dang!

That is why govenment job is still better. Though they may not pay so hugely but at least you're sure of job security and a huge compensation ( gratuity) after your service years with a lifetime benefit ( pension).

This is why it is good to have a personal establishment while working with all these private organizations just in case.

So demoralizing.

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by GIDIBANKZ(m): 1:02pm On Jun 02, 2021
This country is mess up. I lost my job around March 12th 2021 since then I have been searching for job everywhere no job. I attended an interviews up till now they haven't called me. I am so depress right now. No money to feed.

23 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by stinjoe(m): 1:07pm On Jun 02, 2021
I pray God grants her a far better job.

36 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by PCG001: 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2021
нavιng 1 ѕoυrce oғ ιncoмe ιѕ lιĸe тrυѕтιng a perѕon , a perѕon wιll alwayѕ ғaιl yoυ noт people
вυт ιғ yoυ aѕĸ nιgerιan тнaт dιd тнey тrυѕт anyone, тнey wιll ѕay no ooo ι don'т тrυѕт anyвody ooo, wнereaѕ тнey pυт тнeιr тrυѕт on a "perѕon" (1 ѕoυrce oғ ιncoмe) noт "people"
ιғ yoυ тrυѕт leт ѕay тнree perѕonѕ ; тнere'ѕ no нow all oғ тнeм wιll dιѕappoιnтed yoυ aт тнe ѕaмe тιмe
ιғ тwo people dιѕappoιnтed yoυ
aтleaѕт one won'т
ѕo ιғ yoυ тrυѕтed one perѕon (1 ѕoυrce oғ ιncoмe) ιnѕтead oғ тwo or тнree perѕonѕ wнιcн мeanѕ;(people); noт нavιng alтernaтιve ѕoυrce oғ ιncoмe
or
yoυ don'т ѕave ғor dry ѕeaѕon
вe ғυlly ready тo ғace тнe conѕeqυenceundecided

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by design106: 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2021
sad
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2021
It's a situation no one would like to experience. If she could be this depressed, how would the husband feel? As a man, your pocket sometimes defines your headship.

May God pave new ways for the owner of the story & others who are in such a situation.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by mema900: 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
GIDIBANKZ:
This country is mess up. I lost my job around March 12th 2021 since then I have been searching for job everywhere no job. I attended an interviews up till now they haven't called me. I am so depress right now. No money to feed.

START A BUSINESS!!
Not trading ooh! BUSINESS!

7 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by mbahdi(m): 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
All thanks to the dullard vegetable in aso rock for finally destroying Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by inoki247: 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
ok
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Youngkhaleepha3(m): 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
Tell them ‘’ E don happen’’

2 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Sambab(m): 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
Just look for something else you can do, engage yourself with something that can fetch you money

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Vaughanlanrewaj: 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
Hmm. Tough place to be. It's usually mums that tell the children if it's a father that lost his job. Most fathers can't look into their children's face and tell them they're now jobless. So as a father, let the mothers tell the children and all of them now come to meet you and encourage you. I think for mothers, they usually ride on their closer time with the children to say they are no longer going to work in that place and then follow up with answers to the next barrage of questions from their children's inquisitive minds. This doesn't apply to dysfunctional families though.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria. May God bless our homes.

3 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Tonyspecial(m): 1:17pm On Jun 02, 2021
Dammmmn niggarrrr
Things are not oright in this con3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Coldshisha: 1:17pm On Jun 02, 2021
Post covid 19 Economy
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Kizzygentle: 1:17pm On Jun 02, 2021
On a norms if it were to be a working country , it shouldnt be that difficult because you would definitely get a new job asap with your years of experience but i believe your fear is getting a new job and sitting at home watching your children go to school and come back and still meet you at home all day which may last for a long time.... Hmmmmm. Just try and set up a small establishment wit your little savings..

3 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by TempUser: 1:17pm On Jun 02, 2021
sad
Sorry o

Eeyah sad

SAPA teamed up with them to fire you, SAPA! nice one! Wehdon! angry

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by babyfaceafrica: 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2021
Nothing is certain in life asides death.. God help us

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by motymop: 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2021
Someone i know lost his job and committed sucide.

He couldn't tell his kids and wife, will they understand?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by EgunMogaji2: 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2021
I wish that Nigeria has an unemployment compensation scheme like in the USA.

It’s a good safety net.

6 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Born2winnx: 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2021
Better style
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by jeff1607(m): 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2021
Touching
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by osuofia2(m): 1:19pm On Jun 02, 2021
YOU BE WOMAN, IT WOULD BE MORE DEVASTATING SHOULD IT BE THAT YOU ARE A MAN.
AS A MAN PRAY NEVER TO LOOSE YOUR JOB BECAUSE THOSE WOMEN GO USE YOUR EYE SEE PEPER

25 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by anibi9674: 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
Big blow
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by yusluvad(m): 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
Not easy...
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
A man needs a job but no job guarantee, this world is an A$$. Only GOD can help.

Let all good people help each other. Why don't we all contribute into one bank account when one person is out of work we help that person financially till they find work?

The government should provide unemployment benefit for situations like this, but since it does not exist we can help by doing it ourselves

2 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by pickatyouu: 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
mema900:

START A BUSINESS!!
Not trading ooh! BUSINESS!

Na money dem dey use start business bros.
Na job go give am money.

6 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by rita25(f): 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
hmmmmmmmmm it is well just dust your credentials and start the hunting you can keep applying just be strong for you and the whole family.................God will take charge kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by motymop: 1:21pm On Jun 02, 2021
EgunMogaji2:
I wish that Nigeria has an unemployment compensation scheme like in the USA.

It’s a good safety net.

A good idea but This country is too poor for that.

How much will they pay for unemployed Nigerians to be satisfied?

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by quincyshakur(m): 1:21pm On Jun 02, 2021
Somtimes i go dey 1da if na lik dis dem Adeleke sufa b4 dem make am? I bliev say las las we all go dey okay bcox na who give up fvck up

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Orezone!? Gold Quest!?: The Sinister Plot Of Qnet. Job Scam In Burkina Faso / KPMG Aptitude Test Invitation / Secondary School Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.