Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,563 members, 7,955,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:37 PM

Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? (1391 Views)

6ix Music Albums I Can't Wait To Listen On My Boom J8 / What Are Those Cool Songs You Listen To At Night After A Hectic Day? / To Listen to Nigerian Music Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by narcissus(m): 4:01pm On Jul 13, 2007
I was chatting with this girl the other day outside a club in Abuja and she asked me what my favourite song of the moment. I mentioned a rock song and then she went on and on about how i was fake and trying to be white and all what not. (Funny, I speak Yoruba ten times better than this girl and can dance yahooze circles around her, I just like a wide variety of music). Granted she was slightly tipsy but she was quite vehement about it. I'd like to know what other Nigerians think. Is it being fake to listen to other forms of music apart from hip hop and mainsream African music?
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by familyman(m): 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2007
i dont know if u r nigerian. u r definately entitled to ur opinion. u cant be crucified for it. i tink u must be one of those guys dat attempt to speak english thro ur nose.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by Jduck13(m): 5:13pm On Jul 13, 2007
yo people who say that just cant fully appreciate music for what it really is if someone calls u fake for listening to certain music then they are fake music has no color theres jus music for everyone its not jus for white people u aint fake u jus show u have a good all around taste in music dont sweat homey players neva fret besides look at run dmc he rapped with aerosmith look at jayz he rapped with linkin park many rappers did songs wit rock bands when she says that again tell her this see what she says
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by OmoEko1(f): 5:48pm On Jul 13, 2007
I like listening to rock especially U2 kiss kiss kiss, they re the best Rock group ever. Moreover Mary J Blige had a song on her last album ft U2 called One Love, and the song is lovely.

Abeg ignore what that the girl told u jare, like i always tell people,” Everyone has right to their own opinion".

Even Nelly sang with this country singer and the song was on the billboard for a while cool cool
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by Gamine(f): 5:59pm On Jul 13, 2007
How can listening to music that appeals to someone fake

I just bliv many Nigerians are still close minded

I was cosidered weird cos i listen to rock, i mean c'mon
i dont even like all that heavy metal stuff

but i listen to folks like
linkin park
good charlotte
the killers
n many mo

and all their songs by the way
just the ones that appeal to me

Bro,
u aint fake, u r being as natural as possible!
keep it up grin
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by PTBNaija(f): 6:10pm On Jul 13, 2007
That is ridiculous, you are not being fake at all. I love rock as well, like people have said, you like what you like. And music isn't just made for specific ethnicities only.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 13, 2007
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 13, 2007
;d
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by familyman(m): 10:40am On Jul 16, 2007
[b]@ everyone who listens to rock and calims to be nigerian[/b]. At first the white man came, took away our people, took away all our resources and when they got tired of that they decided to impose their own culture and art on us to the denigration of our own. When they lost the wherewithal to do that by force they decided to do it surreptitiously. And this is what is happening to us through the influx of rock music in NIgeria. Beware of uncle sam and the entire red neck agenda. Do not lose your blackness in the name of superior white taste.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by initiator(m): 11:30am On Jul 16, 2007
@ familyman, u talking bullcrap. So jay-z's collabo with linkin park & kanye west's collabo with chris martin are all part of the red neck agenda abi?

Rubbish!!

Life's too short to be stuck to a single genre of music. If u love rock then u love rock. No apologies. And i think the best rock band is coldplay. Love dat band to death.

1 Like

Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by ladebi(m): 12:32pm On Jul 16, 2007
Those who have good ears listen to good music when you hear a good music your sure to listen to it .Not everybody likes rock as a form of music but we do listen to some rock songs cos they are good.Music is an organized noise that soothes the soul in whatver form.Tell your girl to slow her role.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by hola2ng(m): 1:06pm On Jul 16, 2007
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by drrionelli(m): 8:48pm On Jul 16, 2007
This thread is one of the reasons that commercial music is so fragmented. Too many people consider that only one "type" or "genre" or "style" or "oeuvre" of music is valid.

Preposterous! It has been noted by the greats that there are only two types of music: 1. Good music, and 2. What could be good music.

In other words, there's good opera and not-so-good opera. Same to be said for baroque. Or classical. Rock, pop, hip-hop, folk--same deal. And, as long as it's good, that's all that matters.

If you haven't heard some good music in any of the genres you listen to, then you simply haven't been listening to enough of it, because it's out there!
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by Jduck13(m): 1:16am On Jul 21, 2007
yo familyman y u gotta hate the white guy it was my ancestors that was stupid not me man in u.s. we sstraight most of us is cool with each other not much racism so y cant everyone inthe world tb that way i aint sayin nigeria aint but i cant speak for nigeria because i dont live there but i got homeys in nigeria whites are equal with blacks blacks are equal qith mexicans and chinese and whites is equal to mexican and chinese i dont like ya racism bro
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by chiogo(f): 1:44am On Jul 21, 2007
No, it's not bein' fake, just preference and taste. I don't personally listen to it but i wldn't condemn smone who does. It's ur choice. just like i don't even like rap much except some few rappers who are really good but u wldn't say am bein' fake. it's what appeals to one.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by WesleyanA(f): 4:06am On Jul 21, 2007
i listen to all kinds of music. i listen to rock. in fact i know a few Nigerians who lOVE rock music.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by nguage(m): 4:14am On Jul 21, 2007
I listen to good music. Mostly conscious hip hop, Common,The roots, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Brother ali( this albino is fire! listen to UNCLE SAM GODAMN). some rock, Bloc party, TV on the radio. Some afro beat. the list goes on.
Am I fake? DUMB QUESTION
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by AfroCynic: 2:04pm On Jul 21, 2007
I think it's comments that that hold us back. She is tryna imply that you should limit yourself and that is never a good thing. When people ask what kinda music i listen to, I always say classical music. I love to see their reaction. I listen to anything that is good.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by A40(m): 1:36pm On Jul 23, 2007
Naah its not fake o! you cant force me to listen to rap if im not feelin it, Im a big Jigga fan but i still listen to Fort Minor ColdPlay Natasha Bedingfield, so long as you sond good
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by hola2ng(m): 8:53am On Jul 25, 2007
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 15, 2007
Abeg
DOn't mind them.
Rock is about my favorite genre of music. After R and B.
I just love the way it sounds. Nickelback, Avril, Chris Daughtry, lots of them.
ROCK ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by WendKuni1(f): 5:08pm On Sep 18, 2007
I like that, Rock Rocks.

I think it's hard to be pretentious when it comes to listening to music. It's hard to bop your head to something you don't like. When it comes to music, be true to yourself, even if it's heavy metal. I love ABBA. I'm not saying they're rock. I'm just saying I get weird looks for it. Be true to yourself is all I'm saying. If rock music is what you like, then don't let some slightly tipsy girl convince you otherwise.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by HYBRIDX(m): 6:10pm On Sep 18, 2007
i cherish heavy metal rock as much as i cherish hiphop.

WORD!
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by diddy4(m): 5:05am On Sep 30, 2007
gimme some vodka on d rock, a good Maroon 5 or linking park track and a nice party girl and homie we gonna rock the night till daybreak.

i love rock and even though I am in the states, most black people here view me as trying to be white but you know what? diddy does not care. if im trying to be, then don't be like me.
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by henry007(m): 5:18am On Sep 30, 2007
its not fake 2 listen 2 rock, whoeva sed it was ?
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by romeo(m): 9:50pm On Feb 12, 2008
n-guage:

I listen to good music. Mostly conscious hip hop, Common,The roots, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Brother ali( this albino is fire! listen to UNCLE SAM GODAMN). some rock, Bloc party, TV on the radio. Some afro beat. the list goes on.
Am I fake? DUMB QUESTION

Each time i hear somebody mention Brother Ali i get some goose bumps, the dude is too good

United Snakes of America!! LoL cheesy

He's a white guy, but albino
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by danidee10(m): 6:04pm On Dec 25, 2015
This is a late late late reply....but i feel the reason nigerians don't listen to rock is because they don't just get it (the slow rhythms and lyrics or the fast tempo and aggressive beat)....i listen to rock and i transitioned from hard, metal rock to slow, alternative rock, i did so because when i'm having problems in life.....i usually calm down and get advice listening to some of those songs cuz of the lyrics (they make a lot of sense). i discovered there is a song for all situations that's why i love rock...compare that with nigerian mainstream music of today.....na only kiyamasa kiyamasa kiyamasa i dey hear nothing again

some bands i listen to
coldplay
keane
switchfoot
green day
semisonic
one republic etc etc
Re: Is It Being Fake To Listen To Rock? by CoolUsername: 10:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
danidee10:
This is a late late late reply....but i feel the reason nigerians don't listen to rock is because they don't just get it (the slow rhythms and lyrics or the fast tempo and aggressive beat)....i listen to rock and i transitioned from hard, metal rock to slow, alternative rock, i did so because when i'm having problems in life.....i usually calm down and get advice listening to some of those songs cuz of the lyrics (they make a lot of sense). i discovered there is a song for all situations that's why i love rock...compare that with nigerian mainstream music of today.....na only kiyamasa kiyamasa kiyamasa i dey hear nothing again

some bands i listen to
coldplay
keane
switchfoot
green day
semisonic
one republic etc etc

^ This! This!! THIS!!!
You sir, you have superb taste in music.

(1) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Mixing And Mastering?: Got Knowledge ?share It.! / Exclusive: Akon’s Mom Speaks On ‘chop My Money’ Remix With P Square And More / Photos From Ghana Music Week Concert:el, Sarkodie, Samini....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.