Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,306 members, 7,815,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) (53069 Views)

What Is Your Favourite Nigerian Street Food? (pictures) / Eat Healthy! How I Prepare Delicious Nigerian Vegetable Salad, (photos,video) / Cameroon Street Foods Which Cameroonians Love The Most (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by EvenBlogger: 10:16am On Jun 17, 2021
Nigeria is a country filled with the most exciting things. One of the most exciting thing about Nigeria is our street food. They are so delicious, easy to get, affordable and spontaneous. Here is a list of street foods that will blow your taste buds:

SUYA

Suya is a popular Nigerian barbecued meat, sold by the road side and junctions by Hausa men. Suya is sold only at night as it is said to be very delicious only at night. It is sold in different form either on a stick or diced into pieces. Suya is eaten with onions, tomatoes, and other suitable veggies and is known as the king of street food in Nigeria.

AKARA

Akara is a deep fried beans ball made with grounded beans mixed with pepper, onions and other spices. It is called “Kosai” in the northern part of Nigeria. Akara is sold with yagi ( suya pepper) or sauce and can also be eaten with fried yam or puff puff or pap.

ABACHA

Abacha is also know as “African salad” it is originally owned by the Igbo people. Abacha is made with dried shredded cassava and other ingredients. You’ll always see Abacha vendors on the streets or around some market angles. Abacha is best eaten with any cold drink of your choice.

ROASTED CORN

Roasted corn is sold in the afternoon or evening of the day. It can easily be found at junctions, bus tops or road sides. This street food is mostly sold with coconut, or any other thing of your choice and it is best eaten hot. AlThough, corn is a seasonal food in Nigeria but when it is out, it is most sought after.

WAINA/MASA

Masa is a street food which is mostly sold at junctions, bus tops or road sides by female food vendors. Masa is eaten either with yagi, sugar or waina soup with biscuit bone(kashi). Masa is made out of rice, salt, sugar. It is a northern Nigeria food.

ROASTED YAM WITH PALM OIL SAUCE

Roasted yam with palm oil sauce is another most sought after street food in Nigeria. It is very filling and delicious and can be eaten at anytime of the day. This particular food can mostly be found at street corners prepared by female food vendors.

BOILED GROUNDNUTS

Boiled groundnut is also a seasonal street food. Boiled groundnut serves for different purposes like while talking to your friends, walking on the road, working at your shops, etc. Some are boiled with salt, which makes them more tasty. This street food is mostly hawked around but it sellers.

PUFF PUFF

Puff puff is one of the most popular Nigeria street food. it’s always spongy, fluffy and delicious. It’s made with flour mixed with sugar and other ingredients. Puff puff is also known as the king of small chops and it mostly sold by those vendors who sell Akara.

PLANTAIN CHIPS

Plantain chips is a crunchy, spicy street snack, sold by hawkers on the streets. They are made either with ripe or unripe plantain or banana. These chips taste so delicious and they are best eaten with cold water or drinks.

DAMBU NAMA

Dambu nama is simply shredded cow meat spiced with pepper, salt an seasonings, sold mostly in the norther part of Nigerian. It is mostly packed in brown envelops and take away packs, Dambu nama is a delicious street snack.

Written By Illikannu Donald Chukwuma

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 17, 2021
Where is our catfish?
The list is incomplete

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Ishilove: 10:49am On Jun 17, 2021
Gosh I hate Abasha. Uber gross

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by malcom1X: 10:56am On Jun 17, 2021
Bonga fish and sipped garri.

Beats them all

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:33am On Jun 17, 2021
Ishilove:

Mine is OKPA. I know some okpa-loyalists will soon land to tell me I didn’t eat the one that was made by a veteran in Enugu. cheesy

Abeg, even if the founder of okpa makes it, I go still hate am.

OP you missed ewa agoyin and bread. I don’t eat beans, but I eat ewa agoyin. There are levels to beans. grin

206 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Ishilove: 11:36am On Jun 17, 2021
pocohantas:

Mine is OKPA. I know some people will land to tell me I didn’t eat the one that was made by a veteran in Enugu. cheesy

Abeg, even if the founder of okpa makes it, I go still hate am.
I think I've tasted it just once. Nothing to write home about biko

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 11:36am On Jun 17, 2021
The most delicious snacks are sold in the streets. tongue

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by The5DME(m): 1:34pm On Jun 17, 2021
Suya, puff puff, akara nd soft bread for me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by 900warriorz: 1:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
Nothing in that list beats my Agege Bread and Ewagoyin cry

My precious fluffy hot soft white agege bread with succulent agoyin beans grin

173 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by UncleSnr(m): 1:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
Abacha and Suya.
If you are a foodlum, you can open a food blog to review the things you love.

12 Likes

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Mihaug(m): 1:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
During undergrad days, eggroll and okpa saved me several times from certain hunger, i am grateful to both of u cry cry cry

148 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by ArewaNightmare: 1:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
grin
ABACHA + UGBA + ICEFISH + PALMWINE

can give you Orgasm

182 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Lamasta(m): 1:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
Akara and Bread
Akara and Garri
Akara and Akamu
Akara and Yam

Akara being saving lives since time memorial

128 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by slawormiir: 1:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright
Roasted yam with oil sauce would have been better but it is forbidden here in the Terra Firma of the Benin terrain to roast yam in the streets

..take that roasted yam with oil sauce.....then try and gulp it down with a chilled Heineken bottle
I swear....to die nor go hungry you

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Jesuyinka01(m): 1:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
Omo SUYA and AKARA na my favorite....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by The5DME(m): 1:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
Ishilove:
Abacha......... Not abasha. Yoruba people always spoil igbo pronunciations.

132 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Sammyashol(m): 1:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
Team Beans and Bread

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by zeusdgrt(m): 1:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
Suya

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by hollywater: 1:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
Suya followed by Akara and Abacha

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by kingmsookwagh(m): 1:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
I no dey use puff puff and coke joke o!!!!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Buffalo2(m): 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
Suya all the way

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by ezigr8(m): 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
suya for good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Triangles1(m): 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
Roasted corn reminds me of Obasanjo as a president during his tenure, he stopped his convoy in other to buy roasted corn along federal housing lugbe, Abuja, the woman was very happy to see president of Nigeria buying roasted corn from her, OBJ bought 300 naira corn and he gave the woman 500 naira, the woman was shocked when OBJ asked of the 200 naira change, believe me Baba collected his 200 Naira change before he left.

Chai.

120 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Mac12(f): 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
You no put gurasa and awara

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
Ishilove:

You are not alone smiley

Mine :

Suya
Roasted corn
Roasted yam and oyil smiley
Ankara and soft succulent bread...lol ankara ikr
Puff puff hot onesmiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by wpadmin: 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
Following
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by dynicks(m): 1:38pm On Jun 17, 2021
Each time I reason the superb collabo between abacha, ugba, fried fish and Kanda matter in association with palmwine under a tree in an open space, it seems like I'm loosing breathe...

Whoever discovered that combo needs a direct entry into the "HALL OF FAME"..

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Crenzywilliams(m): 1:38pm On Jun 17, 2021
No Catfish and salad, no shawarma, and I also have to make a correction, it's not plantain and yam like you called it, it's called bolei and yam, add roasted fish to it and you have my heart and attention till am hungry again.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by KingDash: 1:38pm On Jun 17, 2021
suya for life... arewa people get class abeg.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Sultty(m): 1:38pm On Jun 17, 2021
I love them all cos I'm a foodie

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

15 Ways Of Drinking Garri / Will You Accept This Gift From A Neighbor / N1500 Basket Of Tomatoes A Nairalander Bought (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.