Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,831 members, 7,851,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:37 AM

Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. (820 Views)

Noah's Ark Rebuilt & Opened For Public In Atlanta US With Its Exact Measurements / A Thread Of My Questions To Vaxx on his religion - Yoruba Traditional belief / Bible Found Untouched Amid Tornado Wreckage; See Page That Was Opened (Throwback (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 19, 2021
Adventists seem to create Blue Zones for themselves
I took my health serious recently, and I have be researching continuously how to improve it. I just know it is more of lifestyle and nutrition.

I launched into a new round of deep research last week, and I ended up with blue zones yesterday. I started researching it, and I saw so many templates all round the world - In Japan, Italy, Greece, etc. Then, I stumbled on Loma Linda. What? People live up to 100 years of age in a city in CA? Amazing!

I dug into it, and alas....boom! I saw one of the main participants is the 7th Day Adventist. I said it. I told myself - "There's something about this group I am yet to discover". I think I need to meet people who are tolerant and can explain better to me. This church cannot be "evil evil". Babcock University here is a reason I have a soft spot for this church.

I researched the recommended nutrition of the 7th Day Adventist and I got the following about the church:

1. advocates vegetarianism.
2. disciurages consumption of alcoholic beverages, tobacco or illegal drugs. Some do not take caffeine.
3. About half of the US Adventists are meat eaters.

Ok. A health higher institute (Loma Linda University Health) is run by the Adventist in the city. This is really commendable. Waoooo!

From 2001 and 2007, the university conducted a survey and enrolled as participants 96,000 Adventists, ages 30 to 112, from all 50 U.S. states and Canada. Additional profile data:

64% were members of the Adventist church by the age of 15 years.

65.1% are female, with a mean age of 60.2 at enrollment.

65.3% are white (non-Hispanic) 26.9% are Black/African American.

1.1% report being current smokers.

6.6% report current alcohol use.

Dietary Status of Study Members
8% are vegan (no red meat, fish, poultry, dairy or eggs).

28% are lacto-ovo vegetarian (consume milk and/or eggs, but no red meat, fish or poultry).

10% are pesco-vegetarian (eat fish, milk and eggs but no red meat or poultry).

6% are semi-vegetarian (eat red meat, poultry and fish less than once per week).

48% are non-vegetarian (eat red meat, poultry, fish, milk and eggs more than once a week).
https://adventisthealthstudy.org/studies/AHS-2
Look at the attached picture below.

CNN research on Adventists' longevity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dluh9YqSKXY
Published on Aug 29, 2006
Cnn made a report about 3 groups of people around the world who tend to live longer: SDA from Loma Linda, Sardinians from Italy, and group people from Japan.

Blue Zones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NYSxVSIqM
Published on May 21, 2008
According to author Dan Buettner, Loma Linda is a 'blue zone'- his term for the regions on Earth with the longest life expectancy. Join Dan Buettner and Renate Krause they discuss why Loma Linda's elderly age so gracefully.

Researcher says California Adventists are America's 'Blue Zone'
https://web.archive.org/web/20090225110752/http://news.adventist.org/data/2008/1211899368/index.html.en

The New York Times: A Surprising Secret to a Long Life: Stay in School

Quite interesting the New York Times mentioned the Adventists in this article also.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/health/03aging.html?em&ex=1168146000&en=81e0250ab7d4ae5d&ei=5087%0A

Hmmmm!

Quite impressive.

My Quest
Please, who is an Adventist who can share with me the nutrition of the church. I do not want to just rely on what I have read so far. I want to hear from the church members also. What I read is amazing. Of course, I love this. Very impressive.

Note:

1. This thread is not about religion or debate.

2. I wish adventists (as many as possible) can share their diets here. Also, can post here the teachings in this regard.

3. I read their are guidelines as their isn't strict rules; therefore, I wish to read personal experiences.

4. I respect your opinions.

5. Individual recipes are needed. And your advices will be highly appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. by Nobody: 6:05am On Sep 03, 2021
Eviana,

This is the thread. I have questions I will love to ask. Doctrine and denomination issues are not going to be discussed. And i will ask you questions about your own diet too just to get a first hand info.

Thank you in advance for doing this. God bless you!
Re: Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. by 5ThChild: 6:26am On Sep 03, 2021
Palm wine and Pounded yam

1 Like

Re: Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 03, 2021
5ThChild:
Palm wine and Pounded yam
Actually, those two mentioned are superb food. Dietitians recommend yam as a very good food. Most tubers are good. As a matter of fact, they are vegetables. And they digest faster than grains. Pounded yam is far better than many swallows.

Talking about Palm wine which is natural......that is a drink with some nice probiotics. Very good fod you have mentioned.
Re: Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 05, 2021
At last, I have got what I have been looking for. I must say the Adventist is superb in this area. Mehn! I just respect them cos whosoever follows this recipe will surely live longer than most people.

Foods to eat
The Seventh-day Adventist diet is primarily plant based, meaning that it encourages eating plant foods and restricting or eliminating animal products.
Some of the foods eaten on the Seventh-day Adventist diet include:

Fruits: bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, berries, peaches, pineapple, mango

Vegetables: dark leafy greens, broccoli, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips

Nuts and seeds: almonds, cashews, walnuts, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds

Legumes: beans, lentils, peanuts, peas

Grains: quinoa, rice, amaranth, barley, oats

Plant-based proteins: tofu, tempeh, edamame, seitan

Eggs: optional, and should be eaten in moderation

Low-fat dairy: optional, may include low-fat dairy products like cheese, butter, milk, and ice cream, and should be eaten in moderation

“Clean” meats and fish: optional, includes salmon, beef, or chicken, and should be eaten in moderation

Foods to avoid
The Seventh-day Adventist diet promotes the consumption of plant foods and discourages eating animal products.
While several variations of the Seventh-day Adventist diet exist, including some that allow low-fat dairy and “clean” meats, most followers typically exclude the following foods:

“Unclean” meats: pork, shellfish, rabbit

High-fat dairy: full-fat cow’s milk and full-fat dairy products like yogurt, cheese, ice cream, sour cream, and butter

Caffeine: caffeinated energy drinks, soda, coffee, and tea

Note: The Seventh-day Adventist diet also strongly discourages the use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and illegal drugs.

Though most Seventh-day Adventists follow a strictly plant-based diet, some may choose to consume small amounts of certain animal products. However, “unclean” meats like pork and shellfish are prohibited.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/seventh-day-adventist-diet#sample-menu

My comment
Oat: As excellent as oat is, good dietitians advise against it because a powerful herbicide is used to grow it, and most of the time, it always has high index residue. There is no farmer presently growing oat organically. The herbicide has been shown to cause different terminal diseases. I personally gave up oat reluctantly. That's one powerful meal. But mehn!

Pig: I initially disagreed with pig as a bad meat, but I researched further and saw some dangers it poses to our health. Well, not all white meat can be eaten after all.

Rabbit: And presently, some groups in Nigeria are promoting rabbit meat. Personally, I don't know how to eat such meat cos I may vomit knowing how lovely the animal is. But I can't blame whoever is eating it cos even chicken is life. Life is life, blood is blood. Hmmmmm! To take out fish out of water and just allow it die like that may look ok, but is it really good to suffocate human or animal? I am just having a deep thought here. And then, not to think of slaughtering animals. Mehn! I am still trying to get my head over it. And I am just thinking. I personally stopped eating chicken outside. I fed my chicken in my compound without using chemicals and steroid. And I am forced to slaughter them myself. The first day I did it, I was so touched. And then, I have carried out autopsy. Wow! I still get enotioned when slaughtering, but it's always so delicious in my mouth. grin

I am grateful for the writer of that article. Nothing you want cannot be researched online. I am so grateful for the gift of internet.

I am going to follow this diet.

2 Likes

Re: Longetivity - A Thread Opened For Adventists To Share Their Nutritional Recipes. by sadafansari: 10:38pm On Sep 24, 2021
To get nutrients, I rely more on fresh fruits and vegetables. For this, Gulf Fruits is the best place for everyone to order organic fruits and vegetables, juices, salads, dry fruits, and many more.
https://gulffruits.com/

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Women Now Speaking In Churches is it biblical or disobedience? / Verses In The Bible About Killings For Blasphemy And Others / This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.