Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:40 AM

The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians (4976 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by gacha: 4:33pm On May 07, 2011
Go to any of the pentecostal churches during prayer time and almost everybody in d congregation is mumbling different incomprehensible words and sentences, u would hear some repeating same thing e.g skembaraba tonga toshi, oohhh skente ronka wonchi, wat in pete's name is dis? Ask the pastor and he will proudly tell u they are filled wit the holy spirit and wat they are doing is speaking in tongues !

Sit down to discuss wit the pastor and the first thing he tells you about speaking in tongues is to refer you to when the disciples were gathered in the upper room and the holy spirit came upon them and they started talking in tongues understandable to pple from different languages around.

Now goin back to our modern day churches, who has ever understood or linked the "speaking in tongues of our christians" to any languages in d world ? I have personally researched it and I've found out dat 100% of those I researched dat "speak in tongue" just conjure up wat they say. The religious leaders also employs this "speaking in tongue" as one of their tools as typical of them to hold pple in religious bondage by decieving them into believing they are filled wit some form of power cos of "speaking in tongue".

For an objective mind, let's look again and reason it out wit our God given minds. Going back to the scriptures (Acts 2:4 - 17) it was recorded that the disciples were speaking and all the different tribes present there heard the words in their own different languages, this is quite different from the disciples speaking different languages understood by different pple. Everyting in creation has an explanation otherwise it will become blind faith therefore the simple explanation of wat happened on dat pentecost day was dat has the power from above poured on the diciples dat were open to it, they spoke of what they were permitted to receive to the spirits of the human beings present there at dat moment. And to all those who are spiritually enlightened you will agree with me that the spirit of man understands every language hence the reason why all the pple present understood what the disciples were saying in their own language.

In conclusion, I say to you all that so-called "speak in tongues", does it really make sense to you ? Or u just don't want to be seen has not spirit-filled ? Ask your sef the truth, does anytin really move u to say all u pronounce during speakin in tongues ? My advice to you, whether u're a xtian or not, the way to the God-head lies in simplicity and truthfulness, shun all those who want to hold your spirit captive by making the road difficult.
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by bece: 8:47pm On May 07, 2011
Thank you for this i am about the only person in my unit that cant speak in tongue i thought am not holy enough.
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Joagbaje(m): 12:32am On May 09, 2011
Speaking in other tongues will always be a part of the real church of christ. There are different kinds of praying in the spirit. There is a difference between speaking with tongues (to people) and praying in tongues to God(personaly) and praying to God( on behalf of others )

There Is tongues of men and tongues of angels. Praying in the spirit doesn't have to be in earthly language. it doesn't have to make sense, but in the spirit ,it is a mystery. Men don't have to understand it like the pentecost day.

1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1 Like

Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:06pm On May 09, 2011
Speaking in tongues is not isolated to the christian religion alone, there are several cultures that report common instances where adherents go into a trance during ritual ceremonies and start murmuring or mumbling what seems to be incoherent gibberish. They claim that when you are possessed of the spirit they are worshiping, it takes over you and starts speaking with your voice. I don't know how the apostles spoke in their time or how they do now, but I remember vividly watching a documentary of Brazilian voodoo ceremonies and their spirit-raved rabble sounded very similar to what pentecostal Christians sound like when speaking in tongues - just an observation
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by gacha: 1:34pm On May 09, 2011
@bece. From ur position, I want to ask a question thus, wat language does God not understand ? When Jesus himself taught the disciples how to pray (the lord's prayer) was it in any special language and can u see how simple and direct d prayer was ?

@lager. Your observation is right however a distinction should be made between a spirit/being (not human spirit) possesses a human being and takes control of d body and a person in full control of his body. I have seen many a christian walk on d road even gistin wit somebody suddenly does a sentence of speaking in tongue ? Where do we place that ?
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by gacha: 3:10pm On May 09, 2011
Sorry, my first response was meant for Joagbaje not bece ! Apologies
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Joagbaje(m): 3:37pm On May 09, 2011
@gacha

gacha:

From your position, I want to ask a question thus, wat language does God not understand ? When Jesus himself taught the disciples how to pray (the lord's prayer) was it in any special language and can u see how simple and direct d prayer was ?

That was before the church was born.  It's a higher level of praying . It's a promise for the church

Mark 16:17
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Praying in tongues doesn't have to be in earthly language It's a spiritual experience.MIT may sound nonsensical but it's the most perfect way to pray. When we pray in our understanding there are limitations ,but praying in tongues helps a man pray according to the will of God for the particular situation Because it is the holy spirit himself is the one praying through us. 

Romans 8:26-27
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

The best way to pray in the will of God is to pray in tongues
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 09, 2011
Uncle Jo is in a state of ultimate delusion.

Speaking in trash is bullshit.
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by gacha: 4:11pm On May 09, 2011
@Joagbaje. What I find most humorous in your last post is dat " the holy spirit prays thru us wen speaking in tongues" what does that mean ? When pple doin dubious things also pray in tongues?? Does dat mean the Holy spirit is there urging dem on ? How badly human beings av ridiculed and beliitled the "Holy spirit" because of lack of knowledge on the subject matter?
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Azibalua(f): 7:20pm On May 09, 2011
@ poster
What exactly is your point,are you insinuating that tongues are not real?
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by ogajim(m): 8:05pm On May 09, 2011
Azibalua:

@ poster
What exactly is your point,are you insinuating that tongues are not real?

BINGO!

God knows your prayers before you even "speak" it out, "from the abundance of the heart speaketh the mouth, " so all these business "churches" came out with this brand which is in sharp CONTRAST to what happened at Pentecost.

It is now used to differentiate between the "initiated" and the general population,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7cye4wzZVw
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:15pm On May 09, 2011
ogajim:

BINGO!

God knows your prayers before you even "speak" it out, "from the abundance of the heart speaketh the mouth, " so all these business "churches" came out with this brand which is in sharp CONTRAST to what happened at Pentecost.

It is now used to differentiate between the "initiated" and the general population,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7cye4wzZVw

I once escaped from a miracle session trying to heal my advanced malaria fever by prayers alone. I was forced to shake my head back and forth in spite of the pounding head-ache. after several unconvincing attempts, i realized i could possibly pass-out and die, i cried out literarily and started speaking in tongues (cries of agony) and soon everyone joined in and in 10 minutes an ordeal of over 30 minutes was over grin
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Nobody: 9:16am On May 10, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

I once escaped from a miracle session trying to heal my advanced malaria fever by prayers alone. I was forced to shake my head back and forth in spite of the pounding head-ache. after several unconvincing attempts, i realized i could possibly pass-out and die, i cried out literarily and started speaking in tongues (cries of agony) and soon everyone joined in and in 10 minutes an ordeal of over 30 minutes was over grin

grin grin
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Oshosam(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2011
I hope people will one day sit down and try not to stumble/fall through another. I'd rather strive to enter through the narrow gate for wide is the gate , It's not good to see a speck of wood on another man's eye when you have a log of wood in yours. I pray the wise will not turn foolish and the foolish will not perish, because He's coming soon. Get up excited, go tell everybody that JESUS CHRIST IS KING.
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Joagbaje(m): 7:47pm On May 10, 2011
gacha:

@Joagbaje. What I find most humorous in your last post is dat " the holy spirit prays thru us wen speaking in tongues" what does that mean ?

Do you believe in the bible,  I quoted the bible sir. See the bolder part below

Romans 8:26-27
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings [/b]which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, [b]because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

The bible says God hears us if we pray according to his will. Praying in the spirit is the best way to pray according to Gods will.
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Joagbaje(m): 7:52pm On May 10, 2011
babaearly:

Uncle Jo is in a state of ultimate delusion.
Speaking in trash is bullshit.

Kí NI mo se fún e? Explain your bulshit. I quoted the bible .
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by ogajim(m): 12:19pm On May 11, 2011
Pastor JoAgbaje, This sounds like spiritual or intellectual 419 to insinuate that the passage you quoted encourage believers to utter some repetitive stuff that they've practiced over time as "spiritual prayer"

Jesus Christ came to simplify everything (prayers included) for us and even gave us Our Lord's prayer, left us the Holy Spirit(which dwells in every believer) to be our guide, when they say "praying in the Spirit", it means praying within you my brother. All these gyrations only make folks look like the pharisees that were rebuked and condemned by our Lord Jesus Christ.

No one needs to hear your prayer which is between you and God, all these staged stuff is not and can't be of God.
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by gacha: 12:44pm On May 11, 2011
@ogajim.
You're just on point !
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Joagbaje(m): 3:02pm On May 11, 2011
ogajim:

Pastor JoAgbaje, This sounds like spiritual or intellectual 419

What is 419 here? Must you guys always vomit abuses and insults . Which Jesus do you serve?

to insinuate that the passage you quoted encourage believers to utter some repetitive stuff that they've practiced over time as "spiritual prayer"

Repetitive stuff ,yeah ! Not bad, there could be some repetitions. It's not man's language. It was prophesied to be so. They will speak with stammer . Bibobo lekeke

Isaiah 28:11
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Jesus Christ came to simplify everything (prayers included) for us and even gave us Our Lord's prayer, left us the Holy Spirit(which dwells in every believer) to be our guide, when they say "praying in the Spirit", it means praying within you my brother.

Where did you get this trash from ? From quoran ?. Let me have your reference.
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by eyzhvntsn: 3:47pm On May 11, 2011
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by oderemo(m): 4:01pm On May 11, 2011
creflo dollar is a joker with his speaking in tongue nonsense. how does that now wipe out debt?
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by Joagbaje(m): 6:28am On May 17, 2011
Anything can happen . God does wipe debt supernaturally by granting a man wisdom. When you speak in tongues ,the anointing is stirred and your spirit is attuned .
Re: The Fallacy about Speaking In Tongues And The Modern Day Christians by danye8: 11:43pm On May 08, 2018
Joagbaje:

What is 419 here? Must you guys always vomit abuses and insults . Which Jesus do you serve?

Repetitive stuff ,yeah ! Not bad, there could be some repetitions. It's not man's language. It was prophesied to be so. They will speak with stammer . Bibobo lekeke

Isaiah 28:11
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Where did you get this trash from ? From quoran ?. Let me have your reference.
that looks like isiah talking about moses cause moses was a stammerer.....how does it relate to the day of pentecost??

(1) (Reply)

Islam’s Proof That Jesus Did Not Die On The Cross ? / Use Your Tithe Money To Give Food To The Hungry / Robert Powel,i Am Not Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.