Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,412 members, 7,853,813 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:59 AM

Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home (1545 Views)

Pls Help, My Pocket Is Drained Cos Of Wrong Diagnosis From My Mechanic / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 8:21am On Jun 27, 2021
I was on my way home yesterday when i got a low oil pressure warning light on my RX350 2010 dashboard. Since i was 2miles away, i kept on driving knowing when i must add or change the oil next...

When I got down to open up the gate i noticed a "knocking sound" from the engine lipsrsealed haaa!...

I managed to park it parked the vehicle and noticed that oil had been draining. I tried checking where the drainage was coming from but i couldn't; was already to dark and the oil splashed all over the bottom engine parts including the front passenger side tire.... all the oil drained there cus when i dipped the guage stick in the engine no oil in it anymore...

I have called my mechanic, but couldn't sleep...

How bad can it get to drive a mile or 2 without oil?

And what could have caused the sudden leak?

MODIFIED: My mechanic just found out the leakage was coming from the oil cooler hose... it's got a big open on it
Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by eHydrated(m): 8:57am On Jun 27, 2021
.Didnt Specify car brand.

Assuming the engine has no prior history of leakage or oil shortage, your problem may lie around the engine oil filter. it could have been punctured or loosely installed.

Modified:
You should have pulled over and turned the engine off immediately the low oil pressure light illuminated. with the knocking sound you heard, engine replacement or rebuild is on the cards. cheers

4 Likes

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Dododawa01: 9:06am On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:
I was on my way home yesterday when i got a low oil pressure warning light on my dashboard. Since i was 2miles away, i kept on driving knowing when i must add or change the oil next...

When I got down to open up the gate i noticed a "knocking sound" from the engine lipsrsealed haaa!...

I managed to park it parked the vehicle and noticed that oil had been draining. I tried checking where the drainage was coming from but i couldn't; was already to dark and the oil splashed all over the bottom engine parts including the front passenger side tire.... all the oil drained there cus when i dipped the guage stick in the engine no oil in it anymore...

You may have knock your engine but anytime oil sign trigger on dashboard, u shd stop d car and park well, then call your mechanic for proper examination in order to b on a safer side

2 Likes

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by nurey(m): 9:23am On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:
I was on my way home yesterday when i got a low oil pressure warning light on my dashboard. Since i was 2miles away, i kept on driving knowing when i must add or change the oil next...

What make and model year of vehicle are you talking about?

Physical inspection before diagnosis is given but there is possibility the engine has to be opened up and internal components checked
Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 10:34am On Jun 27, 2021
eHydrated:

It is RX350 2010
Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 10:37am On Jun 27, 2021
nurey:

What make and model year of vehicle are you talking about?

It is RX350 2010

nurey:

Physical inspection before diagnosis is given but there is possibility the engine has to be opened up and internal components checked

My mechanic just found out the leakage was coming from the oil cooler hose... it's got a big open on it
Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 10:37am On Jun 27, 2021
eHydrated:

Assuming the engine has no prior history of leakage or oil shortage, your problem may lie around the engine oil filter. it could have been punctured or loosely installed.

Modified:
You should have pulled over and turned the engine off immediately the low oil pressure light illuminated. with the knocking sound you heard, engine replacement or rebuild is on the cards. cheers

My mechanic just found out the leakage was coming from the oil cooler hose... it's got a big open on it
Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by nurey(m): 10:44am On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:

Seems your 2010 RX is the tow package with oil cooler line near the oil filter.

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 10:46am On Jun 27, 2021
nurey:

Seems your 2010 RX is the tow package with oil cooler line near the oil filter.

Yes exactly. Just finding this out now.

My fear now is the damage it (or I) would have caused to the engine due to ignoring the oil pressure light in 2 miles away from home
Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by nurey(m): 12:32pm On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:

Yes exactly. Just finding this out now.

My fear now is the damage it (or I) would have caused to the engine due to ignoring the oil pressure light in 2 miles away from home

You are lucky, before opening engine at all, replace the hose with the metallic unit, put your oil, guage and start the engine.

Listen to sounds and fumes from exhaust that will direct you on whether to open up engine and check for internal damage.

Also scan vehicle I believe internal issues should trigger a DTC

3 Likes

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 1:16pm On Jun 27, 2021
nurey:

You are lucky, before opening engine at all, replace the hose with the metallic unit, put your oil, guage and start the engine.

Listen to sounds and fumes from exhaust that will direct you on whether to open up engine and check for internal damage.

Also scan vehicle I believe internal issues should trigger a DTC

Okay... but currently putting a temporary hose since today is Sunday... I want to know my fate first and plan getting the metal pipe tomorrow at Ladipo

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 1:39pm On Jun 27, 2021
Sound is back to normal after changing the hose and using new oil... i have learnt a very BIG lesson now... will never ignore any warning ⚠️ signal on dashboard again, never.

Looking at the cost of a tok engine at about N600k now makes me shiver...

Please suggest what i need to look out for next...

Will try getting the metallic unit tomorrow to avoid such issue in future

8 Likes

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Kingdemu: 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:
Sound is back to normal after changing the hose and using new oil... i have learnt a very BIG lesson now... will never ignore any warning ⚠️ signal on dashboard again, never.

You're a lucky guy

8 Likes

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by Samafroxy22(m): 3:44pm On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by calculation(m): 6:48pm On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:

Gradually subject the engine to increase of power, because at high rpm or speed the knocking issue may resurface again.
I will suggest you inspect the crankshaft for damage before the vehicle will resume full duty.

2 Likes

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by nurey(m): 6:49pm On Jun 27, 2021
Samafroxy22:

Nothing much you can do except to keep your eyes glued to the dashboard regularly for the oil warning light.

Toyota is extremely lazy for not incorporating auto engine shutoff at low oil warning many especially sienna owners and highlander owners have been so unfortunate. You were only lucky it wasn't highway driving if not no be wetin we dey talk now, you for dey yarn story grin

5 Likes

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by sultaan(m): 8:04am On Jun 28, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpVgYfcDWfc

check out the first 1 minute of this video

Next time people talk evil of Ford Edge

1 Like

Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by drmikeadams(m): 2:43am On Jun 29, 2021
nurey:

Nothing much you can do except to keep your eyes glued to the dashboard regularly for the oil warning light.

Toyota is extremely lazy for not incorporating auto engine shutoff at low oil warning many especially sienna owners and highlander owners have been so unfortunate. You were only lucky it wasn't highway driving if not no be wetin we dey talk now, you for dey yarn story grin
.bro where ur office?u based in lag?
Re: Car Engine Oil Drained Out On My Way Home by nurey(m): 10:49am On Jul 01, 2021
drmikeadams:

.bro where ur office?u based in lag?

I am not a car technician by profession. Not based in Lagos

(1) (Reply)

My 2009 Toyota Corolla GearBox Issue / Battery Keeps Draining Overnight. / Urgent! Urgent!! Urgent.pls Advise On My Hyundai H1 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.