Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

How To Launch My Career After Youth Service - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Launch My Career After Youth Service (2135 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / How Did You Build Your Career After Service??? Share Your Experience / Should O'level Result Matter Much In Our Career After First Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by Gomez(m): 11:34pm On Jul 15, 2007
Which Is Better Path To Start Life After Youth Service

i am currently an batch B cooper and will be passing out next month but for some time now have being thinking on the path to take after service. i m a certified web developer(MCTS) and want to start off a web/software development firm is Katsina, my folks said that is better for me to go down to Lagos and work(that i will go to search for angry) a while before doing such thing and that Katsina is not a good place to start such a firm. as i was still considering that i got admission in Coventry University to study computing(MSc) this September but because of Cash and i heard that is not that a good school in UK i had to move that to next year.

Since i have about one year to stay before i go for my masters what should you advice i do now.hussel here in the north or go take up an IT job ? undecided

cheesy i have prayed about it brothers
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by MT: 1:30am On Jul 16, 2007
Well I will rather say that a bush at hand is worth trillion in the bush. If u already have a good clients base in the north, U can stay there and be saving your money for the school. I will never trade certainty for uncertainty. There's no guarantee that u will get a job withing a few period when u get to Lagos, but u can make a Lagos out of Katsina with hardwork and prayer,

About coventry University, I will like u to know something. School nowadays dont make individuals. It is your zeal and desire that will make u to fly beyong your reach. Just be sure u can safe enough b4 coming to UK. Dont come to UK with no money and believing that U will be working and paying off your tuition from it. It doesnt work like that most of the time.

I wish u best of luck sha
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by Everbright(f): 7:09am On Jul 16, 2007
I totally agree with MT.
Lagos is not a bed of roses,make them see that from your own point of view.
There are one million and one gradutes here in Lagos without a job,since you have something going for you in the North,Why not try it out.
Goodluck sha.
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by isangedigh(m): 10:59am On Jul 16, 2007
men! ati de be men! its no use my broda, i agree with all em fellows who have said one way or the other its not outside its inside ok. i knw your mum talking from security and mother point of view but guy you are man now right you know wht you feel and see and believe me lagos is not wht you think it is ok Katsina na islam joint fine but you can do something if you stay cool God knows you and you know God i feel so anyway, go ahead and be an entrepreneur com'on!!! cool cheesy nairalanders dey behind yu!! undecided
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by naijabands(m): 12:38pm On Jul 16, 2007
Let me begin by telling you this; we are exactly in the same boat (Batch B), but where I see the difference is you have not made your mind up. Regardless of who said what, and when it all really boils down to your skills and passions and what you want to make of yourself in life.

If it is to be a successful entrepreneur, dedicate yourself to it; of the top 100 international brands, less than 30 were expected to make it. I refer to heavy duty guys like DELL, Apple and almighty Coca Cola! The only things all these success stories have in common is persistence.

I am all for your striking out on your own, (maybe because that's what I am doing), since you have found your market niche; the very reason I believe you should do it in Katsina is because no one has given you a chance, BUT for you to have even considered it, it means that you have identified potential customers (right? ), so all you have to do is look for the surest way to get into the minds of these potential customers (branding).

About the Msc, I am of the opinion that one should do that only after acquiring a solid financial base grin

I refuse to even consider the SALARY cry option!!!

That's my submission!
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by Elgaxton(m): 1:53pm On Jul 16, 2007
I feel all the bros here, I think u should follow after Katsina or even come to ABj althoug cost of livin over here is high o.

as per Uk, just chill and get some good cash first b4 u start talking about that.
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by atilla(m): 2:04pm On Jul 16, 2007
I went to Coventry University. I wouldnt advise anyone to go there. Not because of the Uni itself but because of the town. It is a very depressing town and i was unhappy there. The uni itself is interesting.

Have u been to University already?? what did you study?so im wondering why you want to do a second degree.

I belive an online business can be done from anywhere. so why bother coming to lagos if that is what you want to do. But if you want to work try and start looking for a job now.

we will gist more sha
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by uchetobi(f): 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2007
what/ where is Coventry University? Do you mean covenant?
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 16, 2007
@ uchetobi

Coventry university is located in the UK. Next time you are clueless about stuff, just Google it to find out its meaning so you don't sound naive.

@Gomez
Guy, i feel you. We're both in similar positions, and I can't figure what to do "specifically" with the rest of my life. We well succeed anyway cool cool
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by uchetobi(f): 6:22pm On Jul 16, 2007
Do you know the meaning of naïve It means immature! What does that have to do with me asking if he meant covenant. Am I supposed to know every university in the world. Pls pls pls I take God beg you. Don’t insult me. I don’t think iv ever refered to you in this forum before. Just carry your wahala pass my side abeg! We are not kids here
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by DisGuy: 9:03pm On Jul 16, 2007
if your loaded and ready for adventure try a UK university, you'll learn a lot from most UK university doesn't really matter about the uni(depends where you ant to work though) but your kind of lifestyle.

starting a Web development business is one thing making money from it is another, katsina is dry, the people are probably very conservative and style of business is archaic, they wont see the need to a web based anything sorry.
BUT if you think you can sell your service to companies or government departments in katsina and you are VERY sure of this then you can stay if not you need to movee. have you even done business before, everyone is going on about being entrepreneur,they don't want to work blah blah blah, their business fail even before it starts because they have absolutely no experience what so ever!

Goodluck
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by iziren(m): 5:13pm On Jul 17, 2007
Hello Gomez,
i'm also a batch B corp member like you, so i think i understand how you are feeling.
You have been doing some thinking about your future and you have grand plans. but, is Kastina ripe for that kind of tech. its one thing dream and its another thing to make your dream come true.
I serve in Gombe and i am a civil engineer, with good experience in structural design, and tot i was going to make some cool cash during my service year, but its not so the profession is not appreciated here, and i don't know about yours. the northerners have thier own way of doing things and are not willling to change at least for now.
I think your mom is right you should be where you will be appreciated, lagos is a hot bed for the IT market, so if you be;ieve you are good then go there and slug it out, as tight as it seems, there is still a space for you and your experience.
I'd like to suggest you read the book" think and grow rich" by napoleon Hill, then you will understand where i am coming from.
Wishing you the best in all your endeavors, think fast passing out is 28 days away,
Ciao!!!
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by beetintin(m): 5:52pm On Jul 17, 2007
hmmmm,

Let me share a story I heard some years back and we all can make our conclusions.

Two salesmen were sent to a village to sell shoes. The first person got there and saw that
the people there are not wearing shoes and he was like, "wtf, I don't think I can make any sale
here. Please I am on my way HOME!"

The second sales man got there and was like, "WOW! this is a land of opportunity! I am going to order
for more shoes!" He did that and became one of the top sales men of the company.

Katsina is a dry land? You better have a rethink all. If Gomez is serious about being an entrepreneur after
his service, then should be seeing opportunitied where he is. The second sales man knowing that the
inhabitants of the village do not know anything about shoes, decided to educate them on the need for shoes.
They gladly took his advice and he sold out at a fast pace.

"Nothing is ever good or bad, it is our thinking that makes it so."

He who has ears o, let him hear wink
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by tundewoods(m): 6:25pm On Jul 17, 2007
@ GOMEZ

I was once in your pair of shoes about 5 years ago when i served in 2002 at Ekiti state.I followed my heart by starting my own web firm,however i relocated back to Lagos,where i believed was alot more viable than Ekiti where i served.

However i must tell you from personal experience that running a firm takes a lot of discipline ,persistence and marketing strategy.

Wish you all the best in your endeavour.
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by oludunamis(m): 11:27pm On Jul 17, 2007
what waz ur grade on the bachelors, if u can study hard for GRE, u can get funding in yankee schs for your MS, goodluck
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by LongOne1(m): 6:53pm On Jul 18, 2007
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by LongOne1(m): 7:25pm On Jul 18, 2007
C_JAY:

@ uchetobi

Coventry university is located in the UK. Next time you are clueless about stuff, just Google it to find out its meaning so you don't sound naive.

@Gomez
Guy, i feel you. We're both in similar positions, and I can't figure what to do "specifically" with the rest of my life. We well succeed anyway cool cool
@ C Jay, Is this the C Jay i think Know?
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 19, 2007
@ Gomez
Follow your heart and be sure that only a trial will convince you

@ Cjay
Please never insult or sound smarter than the guy next door else it makes one wonder why you're not working with GOOGLE grin
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by atilla(m): 9:23am On Jul 20, 2007
@long one

the town is really dry. If you are staying for masters 1 year that would be ok cause by the time u spend one year there yuo wuold have done everything there is to do.

But if you are staying for 2 years or longer then go somewhere else if you are looking for a fun town.

As a fresher (year 1) i thot it would be so fun and interesting , but i found out that the locals were really unfriendly towards the students which means that u can only go out and have fun in the city center where the Uni is. The center is small and in 1 month you can do everything and go every where there is to go in Coventry university. That is my opinion sha.
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by tboy1(m): 3:25pm On Jul 20, 2007
@ atilla

you can go to birmingham/Leicester, very close to Coventry and there is so much fun in B'ham.
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by atilla(m): 8:26am On Jul 23, 2007
Yeah we used to go there.

Going there in the evening was a long thing u have to catch a train or bus and getting back u use a cab which would probly cost about 25quid.

Ive actually left there im back in Lagos sha.
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by Gomez(m): 10:54pm On Jul 31, 2007
i really appreciate you guys i really never knew i had a family outside my home.
katsina is nice place to start with the first comer's advantage but this will not challenge me enough for the
kind of computing i really wanna do looking at one year b4 masters - maybe i will for exposure and experience hit the hot IT areas of this country but for now still exploring the town i have spent one year who knows .
To all my fellow batch Bs is going to be bright, just keep the fire burning we will get there!
Re: How To Launch My Career After Youth Service by beetintin(m): 3:57pm On Aug 01, 2007
Gomez:

, but this will not challenge me enough for the kind of computing i really want to do looking at one year before masters - maybe i will for exposure and experience hit the hot IT areas of this country but for now still exploring the town i have spent one year who knows .

Gomez, I'm at a loss o. Can you please explain what you mean here, especially the bolded part

(1) (Reply)

20 Mistakes You Do Not Want To Make In Your 20s / Reach Stacker Training / How To Make Money Partnering With Jehus Farms!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.