Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,397 members, 7,836,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria (8608 Views)

Inappropriately Dressed SARS Officer Facing Disciplinary Action - NPF Reveals / Major Challenges Facing The Nursing Practice In Nigeria.. / Young Entrepreneur Shows Creativity At Bole Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Emk5556: 5:35pm On Jun 28, 2021
I own a laundry outfit. AEDC of Abuja came and told me my meter was faulty and they would need to change it. So I said ok and they went with it. Although they connected me directly. I kept calling to know when they will bring the meter, they kept telling me that to exercise patience. After two month they brought bill of 89k when I went to complain at the office they told me it's for the time I've used the light directly. Then I told them that I've been coming to ask for my meter and they have been telling me to exercise patience. So they told me to make payment and I will get my meter. I did. Only for me to wait a month for the meter but they didn't bring it. To my utmost dismay they gave me another bill of 80k after two months. That was when I told them to cut the light and that I will not make any payment untill I get my meter. For 2 weeks now I dont have light. I've been running on generator. This is the country we live in.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by yusufu16: 5:41pm On Jun 28, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I was a mechanic before I became a programmer and I will never advise anyone to be an artisan in Nigeria. Even salaried job is max 50k. You will be repairing mercedes of 100 million with repair bills of 2 to 8 million and na 50k go come enter your account every month. That's even for the elite West star o. One man workshops pay between 15 to 30k a month.

It's the same with tailors et al. Many artisans in Nigeria are very poor.

I know people who are cashing it big in Abuja as a mechanic. If you know your job and you are honest, you will make it Nigeria.

Most important business quality lacking in Nigeria right now is Honesty and Trust. But once Nigerians trust you as a business man, money will not be your problem.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:45pm On Jun 28, 2021
yusufu16:

I know people who are cashing it big in Abuja as a mechanic. If you know your job and you are honest, you will make it Nigeria.

Most important business quality lacking in Nigeria right now is Honesty and Trust. But once Nigerians trust you as a business man, money will not be your problem.
That was before o. Trust me mechanics are everywhere. If your car breaks down anywhere in Nigeria there's a mechanic village nearby. To get the big men cars isn't given on merit. I really took my time to learn the mechanic trade as I have an engineering degree. I even took online courses with top mechanics abroad and paid for a very high end scan tool which was all of my savings as of then.

You really need connections to fix cars of big men and they always ask for something in return. This one isn't hearsay this is something I have personally experienced. Most big men mechanics you see belong to these cult groups or have relatives in very high places.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by neyyoh: 5:46pm On Jun 28, 2021
Find a niche within your area of expertise.

Eg installing android radios into car dashboards.
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 5:52pm On Jun 28, 2021
the USELESS VP will only talk and nothing else... all these he is blind to, ofcourse no be only big men dey buy from him daugther
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Promzy99: 5:54pm On Jun 28, 2021
MasterRahl:
angry

Let us not make the mistake our fatherland made. Yes! Nigeria made the mistake of relying on crude oil as the only source of income. We're paying for that today.

As an entrepreneur, you should have at least 2-3 related side businesses to augment the main business. No be everyday market dey sell.

Promzy99, the OP, says he's an automobile electrician and the income doesn't come regularly. He can learn vulcanizing and start a business. He can also start a car wash. All three... automobile electrician, vulcanizing, and car wash are kinda related...at least two will pay each week.

All successful entrepreneurs follow this pattern...study Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, etc.

I wish all hardworking Nairalanders success
U made recommendable point. In d automobile industry, dia r lots of co-related business one can engage in, i hv lots of dem. But capital is a major constraint. Especially 4 newbies like me.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by yusufu16: 6:08pm On Jun 28, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

That was before o. Trust me mechanics are everywhere. If your car breaks down anywhere in Nigeria there's a mechanic village nearby. To get the big men cars isn't given on merit. I really took my time to learn the mechanic trade as I have an engineering degree. I even took online courses with top mechanics abroad and paid for a very high end scan tool which was all of my savings as of then.

You really need connections to fix cars of big men and they always ask for something in return. This one isn't hearsay this is something I have personally experienced. Most big men mechanics you see belong to these cult groups or have relatives in very high places.

You need to remove your mind from Nigerian mentality (success is not by connection). Like I say, I have seen alot of mechanics making it big in Abuja without any connection. Even if you have 1000 mechanics in a street, you can still make it as a mechanic. Business is all about competition. If you cant stand competition you will not succeed.

I have seen woman who fry akara on the street, build house, buy car and sent her kids to university.

I can tell you, your mindset was what made you quit the mechanic business.

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by olurili(m): 6:23pm On Jun 28, 2021
MasterRahl:
angry

Let us not make the mistake our fatherland made. Yes! Nigeria made the mistake of relying on crude oil as the only source of income. We're paying for that today.

As an entrepreneur, you should have at least 2-3 related side businesses to augment the main business. No be everyday market dey sell.

Promzy99, the OP, says he's an automobile electrician and the income doesn't come regularly. He can learn vulcanizing and start a business. He can also start a car wash. All three... automobile electrician, vulcanizing, and car wash are kinda related...at least two will pay each week.

All successful entrepreneurs follow this pattern...study Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, etc.

amen and you too sir/ma
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by freesoul12: 6:25pm On Jun 28, 2021
Add related service..Buy vulcanizing machine.. Look for boy dat can handle it for u. Start pumping tire too. Wen u expand. Learn how to install car tracker.. Then introduce it to ur clients.. Fix it for them..u can start buying those things wen ure getting money,resell,and help ur clients install it. Buy car diagnosing scanner ...charge ur client by making diagnosis on their car before u start fixing.. Mindset is everything

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 28, 2021
yusufu16:

You need to remove your mind from Nigerian mentality (success is not by connection). Like I say, I have seen alot of mechanics making it big in Abuja without any connection. Even if you have 1000 mechanics in a street, you can still make it as a mechanic. Business is all about competition. If you cant stand competition you will not succeed.

I have seen woman who fry akara on the street, build house, buy car and sent her kids to university.

I can tell you, your mindset was what made you quit the mechanic business.
No mind that man,which mechanic no dey make am,na so so Toyota all of them go learn can't you learn another car type like BMW,Volks,e t c

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by FEGEITOK: 6:35pm On Jun 28, 2021
oneolajire:
Entrepreneurship is a scam in Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/2983340/entrepreneurship-nigeria-scam-multiplier-poverty

This topic made frontpage in 2016 and it is still valid till today. It has over 30000 views and over 250 comments

Those who killed all our industries and stole the nation dry told the youth and graduates to find their survival means with little or no assistance.

Read the part 2 of the article, Entrepreneurship is a scam in Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/3102449/part-2-entrepreneurship-scam-nigeria

Quoted for easy reference

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 28, 2021
oneolajire:

https://www.nairaland.com/2983340/entrepreneurship-nigeria-scam-multiplier-poverty

This topic made frontpage in 2016 and it is still valid till today. It has over 30000 views and over 250 comments

Those who killed all our industries and stole the nation dry told the youth and graduates to find their survival means with little or no assistance.

The read was nice.. Superb peace...

Boss how can we practically solve the power supply issue??

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 28, 2021
oneolajire:

The read was nice.. Superb peice...

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by vickydevoka(m): 7:24pm On Jun 28, 2021
africandollar:
Being an entrepreneur anywhere in the world no be beans but you need an extra life if you're gonna make it in Nigeria...so many odds stacked against you including inconsistent power supply, high level of insecurity, non-availability of government support, bad roads, etc.

However, it's not all doom and gloom because you can have a ready market for your product in the most populous developing nation in West Africa, also one needs to learn how to 'package' oneself...even if na fruit-seller you be sell it with 'class'. I once knew a dude who charged almost 3x the cost for purchase/installation of inverters and really did well, this guy go just dey knack coat upandan dey speak queen's English while the boys wey dey work for am na dem dey do the real work. grin
My only problem is insecurity or cult boys harassment
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by vickydevoka(m): 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2021
MasterRahl:
angry

Let us not make the mistake our fatherland made. Yes! Nigeria made the nomistake of relying on crude oil as the only source of income. We're paying for that today.

Pastor way de preach no de follow waiting him de preach o. Actualization is harder than mere taking
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2021
vickydevoka:

Pastor way de preach no de follow waiting him de preach o. Actualization is harder than mere taking
Ok
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by vickydevoka(m): 7:29pm On Jun 28, 2021
Eriokanmi:
Client loyalty:
If your customers aren't getting value for their money, they'd leave you for another service provider. You've got to be professional to the core for you to gain client loyalty.

Lack of Innovations
It's a competitive world. Try and be innovative and be in tune with the trends. As you run an auto mechanic shop, introduce a morden car paints unit like a baking unit or an alignment unit which can fetch you extra cash in case no customer comes for auto repairs.

You may also get a flat screen tv where customers can watch matches or movies while they wait for their jobs.. Get a small waiting room. You could also install a small AC in your waiting room. Charge your customer in the bill you're giving them and they'd gladly pay without noticing.

Each time I take my SUV to the autoshop I get free meal. Customers throng that place like anything meanwhile, we dey pay indirectly grin. So, be innovative.
Lol. The young entrepreneur you de advice o. Where de money.
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by vickydevoka(m): 7:34pm On Jun 28, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Go belong na. Wat are u waiting for. Oshi. Like say en easy to join cult. No go serious for your work de give excuse
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Eriokanmi: 7:40pm On Jun 28, 2021
vickydevoka:

Lol. The young entrepreneur you de advice o. Where de money.
It all depends on the level at which you operate as a young entrepreneur.
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Younghacka(m): 8:04pm On Jun 28, 2021
I Started A Mini Poultry Last Year..
The Major Challenge I Encountered Was Lack Of Support From My Family. .
It Really Drained Me Mentally At First But I Later Used It As Determination And At The End Every Where Stew And They All Benefitted. . .
When They Say You Can't Do It. . Do It And Prove Them Wrong.
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by oneolajire(m): 8:56pm On Jun 28, 2021
Hammyaladin:

Power problem is simple problem made difficult by our politicians and leaders.

The solution to power problem can be provided in many ways.

1. Invitation of multinationals: when the distribution sector of PHCN was privatized, the distribution sector was taken over by local investors, e.g. BEDC, Benin Electricity Distribution Company. These set of people borrowed from banks, while they have no technical capacity. In all, the ventured into the business to dupe the country, yet the government is still pumping money into the already privatized distribution sector.

Multinationals such as Siemens, General Electric, ABB etc, with over 50 to 100 years experience could have come with billions of dollars, to invest in the distribution sector. The government could as well handed over the generation and transmission to them. These multinationals showed interest, but government said they wanted to develop local investors, but they were government cronies. Will tell you more

1 Like

Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Angeldemon: 9:25pm On Jun 28, 2021
Nigerians not government are your biggest problem when doing business in Naija.
Evil customers everywhere
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by Sheriman(m): 9:30pm On Jun 28, 2021
Emk5556:
I own a laundry outfit. AEDC of Abuja came and told me my meter was faulty and they would need to change it. So I said ok and they went with it. Although they connected me directly. I kept calling to know when they will bring the meter, they kept telling me that to exercise patience. After two month they brought bill of 89k when I went to complain at the office they told me it's for the time I've used the light directly. Then I told them that I've been coming to ask for my meter and they have been telling me to exercise patience. So they told me to make payment and I will get my meter. I did. Only for me to wait a month for the meter but they didn't bring it. To my utmost dismay they gave me another bill of 80k after two months. That was when I told them to cut the light and that I will not make any payment untill I get my meter. For 2 weeks now I dont have light. I've been running on generator. This is the country we live in.
That is Nigeria, the country of small enterprises, business and dream killer
Re: Challenges Facing Young Entrepreneur In Nigeria by oneolajire(m): 2:13pm On Jun 29, 2021
Hammyaladin:

Continued from where I stopped.

I believe there is a conspiracy of terror on Nigeria, to make her underdeveloped.

2. Second solution is from the point above. And that is the exclusive legislative list. Power and electricity should not be on that list. Presently, it is only the federal government that has the right and legal power to determine any direction we face as per electricity matter. Despite the fact that we have generators in our houses, under the law, they are illegal. Every state or local government should have the right to generate her own power and be able to transmit and distribute to any customer without the intervention of Abuja

National grid is another evil troubling our power sector. All power generated must be connected to the national grid, and a control center determines who has power supply. National grid is obsolete, and should be broken down into regions or states.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ican To Release November 2017 Diet Exam Result January 18th, 2018 / Doctor, Nurse, Pharmacist, Or Medical Lab. Scientist. . . Which? / AMCON May Sack Over 1,500 At Arik Over Low Revenue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.