Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,307 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job - Jobs/Vacancies (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job (63740 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by LebenNG: 10:45am On Jul 23, 2021
NewDawn2O21:
before he traveled to Canada he should have made enquiries to know the cost of living in Canada.
That's exactly what I did and when I realized the cost of living there is high I dropped the plans
Right. He went over to live in choicy areas and couldn't get a job to augment his da vida loca style. Fine no one wants to live in the slums abroad, but you can still get a somewhat modest place you can put up... and he went with family again. He would have left them behind so he can be flexible with managing himself well, send money and save more, while anty can get something doing, manage herself with kids in Nigeria pending when its all cleared for them to relocate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by LebenNG: 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2021
LadyRosa:

Oga! The guy dey build house for Warri! His first house FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE! UNA TOO LIKE SUFFERHEAD NIGERIAN BUHARISTS. person dey abroad dey build house after many years of suffering in naija, no be progress be that?Una witchcraft too much!
Sis, u spoke well. They don't know that this naira devalue favours those abroad, because a dollar is much more over here... yes the buharists can stay in the comfort of their homes with govt fund and criticise does that want to make it out the Nigerian enclave. so its expected.God bless the warriboy more doors will be open unto him.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Kellyd2: 10:57pm On Jul 23, 2021
So people that are above 30 and married should not think of relocating. I know someone that relocated when he was well over 30 and he is doing very well.
TeraHawks:
YOU MUST HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THE GHETTOIN NIGERIA SO ANYWHERE ABROAD IS OK FOR YOU.

THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE AND KIDS IN NIGERIA TODAY THAT DO NOT KNOW ABOUT OR EVEN ENCOUNTER ALL YOU HAVE SAID IN THEIR DAILY LIVES.

ABROAD IS NOT HEAVEN...BUT IF YOU ARE DISADVANTAGED IN NIGERIA, IT IS A LOT BETTER.

THERE IS ACCESS TO GOOD HOSPITALS, SCHOOLS ETC IN NIGERIA AS WELL, NA MONEY KILL AM.

ABROAD IS BEST WHEN YOU ARE SINGLE AND BELOW 30YRS SO YOU CAN SUFFER BEFORE YOU CAN ENJOY LATER.

ANOTHER THING IN THE ABROAD IS RACISM...EXPECT TO GROW A THICK SKIN WHEN YOUR KIDS ARE DISCRIMINATED AT...IT WOULD SURELY HAPPEN. AND ALSO, BRACE YOURSELF TO LET DEM KIDS UNDERSTAND WHY YOU TOOK THEM AWAY FROM THE COMFORT OF NIGERIA, TO THIS NEW HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT.

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by slimanyd: 1:20am On Jul 24, 2021
Kellyd2:
So people that are above 30 and married should not think of relocating. I know someone that relocated when he was well over 30 and he is doing very well.

Lol. Its funny bro. Do your thing at what ever age your find it okay. Age nah number. We saw single people begging on the street for food while married couples were able to survive same environment.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by OgaRico(m): 11:57am On Jul 24, 2021
[quote author=teelaw4life post=103394639]

You can apply and look for jobs in UAE but you must consider these Four things:

1) The people or person you through which you came into the country. (For me, it was my agent).

2) Those you surround yourself with when in the country. The people in my accommodation were top guys who kept giving me job links.

3) How much you're determined to get a job and get started. First place I worked in this country was as a cleaner at a restaurant. I wasn't picky. I applied for several jobs I'd have considered beneath me if I was in naija. I forgot about my Psychology degree and applied for every job that was beneath me.

4) Luck and God's grace.

I did not leave naija with an offer. Came in January on 3 months VIsa. Spent the first month searching online and applying for jobs.

I got one at a restaurant in Dubai where I worked for about 2 weeks. The owner said she was just test running and there was no chef so i should go back to my old accommodation to wait for her call. She wasted my time and didn't pay me a dime except 20aed to take the metro back to Ajman where i used to stay.

I got information about a conpany hiring, so I applied and they sent me a message to come for interview. I went for it, passed and got a job designation that had double the pay of the position I applied for. Now, I have my Emirates ID. I'm settled and already lookinh forward to upgrade once my probation period with this company is over.

Greetings boss,please can I send you a pm because I will like you enlighten me about few things in regard to moving to UAE,please.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by DaDoctor: 4:11pm On Jul 24, 2021
teminhi:
Very good thread.

My 2 kobo:

Wherever you are, be it Nigeria o or in the abroad, if you have information and you are ready to act on it, you are sorted. Many self made people in the world were privy to information they acted upon.

My case:

I got to this country and was determined to start hustling immediately. I'm young. I was in telecoms and then moved to banking in Nigeria before I came here. Inside plane, I was already calculating how I was going to be sending millions home. Ode. During my quarantine, I searched for jobs like. I applied to almost all the banks here( based on my experience na) but didn't get any call up. I tweaked my resume to look like their own but nothing. I was determined to hit the street as soon as my quarantine was done. I got here in Jan so it was freezing. As soon as I was done, I printed my newly made resume and hit the streets. I already had eyes for good coys. I dropped my resume almost everywhere. After a week of nothing, I thought to myself, abi they have followed me here? I spoke with some people I met at first and they were all about how jobs aren't available like that etc but that retail always employ because of turnover. I didn't want retail initially because of stress and having to stand. I quickly applied to them. I wanted anything at this time so I got a job at Walmart on the fourth week of arrival $15/hr. I was like yes! Determination has finally gotten me a job, many people I met here are still looking for job but I soon learnt that omo, retail no be beans. For those who don't know, just google Walmart store to see how huge they are. My job was as a picker and runner. Those who know, know. My shift was 8hrs, starting 7am. By 10am I would have reached 13k steps. God!

Information:

I was in the washroom one day, tired af, trying to stretch my legs when a black guy came in. He saw my name tag and was like, bro you are from naija? We clicked immediately and he expressly told me he hated seeing Nigerians doing this job. It should be left for indians. Na them full there. I was like it was because I couldn't find work. He told me to call me when I was done. I was done and I called him. This guy took me to his house, doing pretty fine for himself. Then he told me he was doing care job and would link me up if I didn't mind. Immediately he mentioned care job, I opened up my nose ' me I can't be washing bumbum for anybody o ' I thought to myself. He must have read me because he said 'Nah once you have information you wouldn't do rubbish here'. He said I could do that while I try to get more certifications to get better ' white collar jobs'. How much do they pay? $23/hr and it becomes $27/hr for my overtime. I jumped at it straight.

Cut long story short, in two weeks, I applied and finished documentation, quit Walmart and started earning 3k every two weeks cos me just dey collect hrs those oyibo don't want. A job I just sit with my client and we gist all day, watch movies and take a walk. I didn't come here to coman count bridge. I'm young. Best part, I don't do personal care. I guess I'm lucky with the company.

Moral of the story:

God Almighty and right Information took me from earning $700 to 3k before tax every two weeks. I left people who have been here for years in retail. They are still there. Once I tell some, they say no o, I don't want. Okay naw. It's not by force. I wasn't a bank manager. I have helped a few of my guys with link to coys in the same field and they are thanking God. One even just bought a car after his first pay. Once I gather what I want, buy the lexus I'm targeting and after about like a year of savings and investment, I will move to something more corporate. I should be done with my certifications then. Someone will ask, how about expenses? Through information I got a place where we pay 1100$/ month for two bedroom apartment, all inclusive. I'm mostly at work where I eat same food I make for client so my grocery expenses isn't that much. Many people pay way above that for two bedrooms. That's information.

In the nutshell, pray to God to give you breakthrough information wherever you are. It will make things easier for you.

Did u get this Walmart job and care giving job with a work permit ??
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Educationalserv: 11:49am On Jul 25, 2021
teminhi:
Very good thread.

My 2 kobo:

Wherever you are, be it Nigeria o or in the abroad, if you have information and you are ready to act on it, you are sorted. Many self made people in the world were privy to information they acted upon.

My case:

I got to this country and was determined to start hustling immediately. I'm young. I was in telecoms and then moved to banking in Nigeria before I came here. Inside plane, I was already calculating how I was going to be sending millions home. Ode. During my quarantine, I searched for jobs like. I applied to almost all the banks here( based on my experience na) but didn't get any call up. I tweaked my resume to look like their own but nothing. I was determined to hit the street as soon as my quarantine was done. I got here in Jan so it was freezing. As soon as I was done, I printed my newly made resume and hit the streets. I already had eyes for good coys. I dropped my resume almost everywhere. After a week of nothing, I thought to myself, abi they have followed me here? I spoke with some people I met at first and they were all about how jobs aren't available like that etc but that retail always employ because of turnover. I didn't want retail initially because of stress and having to stand. I quickly applied to them. I wanted anything at this time so I got a job at Walmart on the fourth week of arrival $15/hr. I was like yes! Determination has finally gotten me a job, many people I met here are still looking for job but I soon learnt that omo, retail no be beans. For those who don't know, just google Walmart store to see how huge they are. My job was as a picker and runner. Those who know, know. My shift was 8hrs, starting 7am. By 10am I would have reached 13k steps. God!

Information:

I was in the washroom one day, tired af, trying to stretch my legs when a black guy came in. He saw my name tag and was like, bro you are from naija? We clicked immediately and he expressly told me he hated seeing Nigerians doing this job. It should be left for indians. Na them full there. I was like it was because I couldn't find work. He told me to call me when I was done. I was done and I called him. This guy took me to his house, doing pretty fine for himself. Then he told me he was doing care job and would link me up if I didn't mind. Immediately he mentioned care job, I opened up my nose ' me I can't be washing bumbum for anybody o ' I thought to myself. He must have read me because he said 'Nah once you have information you wouldn't do rubbish here'. He said I could do that while I try to get more certifications to get better ' white collar jobs'. How much do they pay? $23/hr and it becomes $27/hr for my overtime. I jumped at it straight.

Cut long story short, in two weeks, I applied and finished documentation, quit Walmart and started earning 3k every two weeks cos me just dey collect hrs those oyibo don't want. A job I just sit with my client and we gist all day, watch movies and take a walk. I didn't come here to coman count bridge. I'm young. Best part, I don't do personal care. I guess I'm lucky with the company.

Moral of the story:

God Almighty and right Information took me from earning $700 to 3k before tax every two weeks. I left people who have been here for years in retail. They are still there. Once I tell some, they say no o, I don't want. Okay naw. It's not by force. I wasn't a bank manager. I have helped a few of my guys with link to coys in the same field and they are thanking God. One even just bought a car after his first pay. Once I gather what I want, buy the lexus I'm targeting and after about like a year of savings and investment, I will move to something more corporate. I should be done with my certifications then. Someone will ask, how about expenses? Through information I got a place where we pay 1100$/ month for two bedroom apartment, all inclusive. I'm mostly at work where I eat same food I make for client so my grocery expenses isn't that much. Many people pay way above that for two bedrooms. That's information.

In the nutshell, pray to God to give you breakthrough information wherever you are. It will make things easier for you.
how about your schooling? Student visa come with a 20 hr restriction 20 x28 CD x 4 weeks =?
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by teminhi: 10:52pm On Jul 25, 2021
Educationalserv:
how about your schooling? Student visa come with a 20 hr restriction 20 x28 CD x 4 weeks =?

It's summer.
Currently working full time. Will revert when fall begin.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by RevolutionX: 4:21pm On Apr 25, 2022
Shokoloko:
Why would one leave a lucrative job to go abroad and work menial jobs?. If combined family income is up to N1 million naira monthly perhaps no need to move

Not all abroad is "abroad". Choose the country wisely - it is triple hard when the country is not English speaking.

Be careful how you get into the country.

Understand that in your first year you will be tested, but it gets better. Take advantage of ALL the social assistance programs available. Electricity support to pay for electric bills eg OESP, Rent support to pay for rent, Works assistance to help you get by while you look for work, University loan assistance e.g OSAP to go to school to upgrade, Food banks/ Churches for free food, Salvation army for free food and clothes and utensils, Provincial help for furniture. Equipass for reduced transportation costs - splits transport cost in half. Do not raise shoulders, take the assistance first. If you have children below 18 apply for CCB, every child is paid 500-600 CAD monthly. OHIP for free healthcare. Do not compare yourself with anyone in your first year(This is for Canada)

Edited to add: Find and join a Nigerian Telegram or whatsapp group for your area. They will help you.

Do not do a menial job more than 6 months, even 3 months of menial work is enough to show employers that you have Canadian experience, Even if you came in as a refugee, take a loan/grant and study to be a PSW/CNA, take a loan and buy a car and drive uber or apply to work in a call center.

This is an experienced and candid writer.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Lingudy(m): 12:25pm On Jan 15, 2023
We just love to travel out grin
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by LilleG(m): 7:03pm On Feb 21, 2023
I think People's answer will depend on the gross income sha
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by QuinModah(f): 11:59am On Mar 11, 2023
cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Apply For 2016 AGIP Oil And Gas Msc Foreign And Local Scholarship For Nigerians / Www.brisin.gov.ng : BRISIN Recruitment Portal 2018 Now Opened / Submit Ur Cv @ Any Grooming Centre Near U.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.